I'm a METAL noob, help me out?!!!

harmless_little_f***harmless_little_f*** Posts: 8,005
edited July 2008 in Other Music
I went to a rock night at my local club where they played metal all night. It was fucking incredible, I got totally bladdered, but I hardly recognised any of what I was hearing.

The closest I've got to metal are Deftones, System of a Down and old-skool Korn. Some grunge tips its hat to metal, I s'pose (AIC particularly).

I like rhythm, technicality and changes in tempo (hence my liking of System of a Down). I love ATMOSPHERE (hence my liking for Deftones). The stuff I loved in this rock night quite often switched from fast and chuggy with growling vocals, to sloooow and chuggy and full of SLUDGY atmosphere.

Where should I start? I have no real Metal in my collection at all.
'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Apart from the occasional SOAD song, and the obvious early Metallica stuff, the only metal I was ever really into was Fear Factory's stuff... Demanufacture/Obsolete era.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBaNf6Jk5rM
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Apart from the occasional SOAD song, and the obvious early Metallica stuff, the only metal I was ever really into was Fear Factory's stuff... Demanufacture/Obsolete era.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBaNf6Jk5rM

I forgot to mention.. I find it impossible to take most Metallica seriously. I understand how monumental it was, but I guess you had to be there. It's cheesy, reminds me of boys' cartoons and I'd file it under 'Old skool' along with Megadeth.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• I forgot to mention.. I find it impossible to take most Metallica seriously. I understand how monumental it was, but I guess you had to be there. It's cheesy, reminds me of boys' cartoons and I'd file it under 'Old skool' along with Megadeth.

I feel that way about most metal these days, really. I listened to most of this stuff in my early teens.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    you have to check out Sevendust and Nonpoint- they are both in my top five favorite bands of all time. Both put on one hell of a live show- and actually are touring together right now.
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • I feel that way about most metal these days, really. I listened to most of this stuff in my early teens.

I understand that.. Nostalgia for old times will make me listen to a lot of stuff I otherwise wouldn't. :D

• urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    I love Pantera, Rob Zombie, Soulfly, Fear Factory, Black Label Society and Zakk Wylde and some Korn.
    Also 'old skool'... Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, not Megadeth though *shudder*

I'll edit as I think of more :)
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • I understand that.. Nostalgia for old times will make me listen to a lot of stuff I otherwise wouldn't. :D

That's why Bon Jovi is still a regular feature on my CD player. :D

Oh, I just remembered, this is a pretty cool song. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nn4kL8POF0U
  • I love Pantera, Rob Zombie, Soulfly, Fear Factory, Black Label Society and Zakk Wylde and some Korn.
    Also 'old skool'... Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, not Megadeth though *shudder*

I'll edit as I think of more :)

It's funny... I always wanted to like Megadeth. I felt bad for Dave Mustaine after the Metallica guys fucked him over, but I just can't take the guy seriously. The music is just embarrassing. :o

Cool to see another Fear Factory fan though. :)
  • Brain Of EBrain Of E Posts: 499
    try some Slayer or Mastodon,

btw i am a Megadeth fan
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    Pantera will be up your street i think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONZ9bL2WGBE

Also Soulfly, Fear Factory, Black label Society, Motorhead and Rammstein

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrsgNbBI9xI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w9EksAo5hY
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Metal is dead

Black Sabbath are good, get some of their stuff
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Metal is dead

Even if that were true, that doesn't mean it isn't available to listen to.. I've not heard any of it, whether dead or alive.

That said, I've managed to hold back from making any comments about Oasis. ;)

• PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    *cough* SLAYYYYYYYYYYYYYEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
  • YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    Black Sabbath is essential. They are not only one of the founding bands of heavy metal as it's thought of today, they're also one of the best bands of all time. Start with the self-titled debut & go from there.

I'm also a Megadeth fan. Rust In Peace is their best album and is considered by many metal fans to be among the best the genre has to offer.

I"m a huge fan of early Metallica, especially Ride The Lightning and Master Of Puppets.

Sepultura used to be great when the Cavalera brothers were both in the band. Their 4-album run of Beneath The Remains/Arise/Chaos A.D./Roots is well worth checking out.

Voivod was an amazing if not quite as well-known band. Some of their best albums included Killing Technology, Dimension Hatross, and Nothingface.

The death metal subgenre is an acquired taste. If you can deal with the growly vocals, I'd recommend Death, Obituary, and Morbid Angel (all from Florida) and Entombed, At The Gates, and Opeth (all from Sweden).

Slayer's album Reign In Blood is their most celebrated - about a half hour of pummeling assault.

In addition to Sabbath, I'd recommend checking out such older bands as Deep Purple, Motorhead, Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, and UFO (Mike McCready is a fan of the last one).
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,558
    Metallica + Pantera + Mastodon = BEST METAL!
  • urbanhippieurbanhippie Posts: 3,007
    mole1985 wrote:
    Pantera will be up your street i think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONZ9bL2WGBE

Also Soulfly, Fear Factory, Black label Society, Motorhead and Rammstein

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrsgNbBI9xI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4w9EksAo5hY
    Niiiiiiiiiice :D:D

And also this...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJF6xT2Y9gU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAyg1Ioq_cA

:D
    A human being that was given to fly.

Wembley 18/06/07

If there was a reason, it was you.

O2 Arena 18/09/09
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    I think these are amongst the best metal CD's to have come out in the past few years.

These 3 are more technical in nature. Vocals can be rough (or in Opeth's case, freaking beautiful)
    Opeth - Watershed
    Meshuggah - ObZen
    Mastodon - Blood Mountain

These 2 are more shoegaze, less vocals heavy on atmosphere
    Isis - In the Absence of Truth
    Pelican - The Fire in Our Throats Will Becken the Thaw

These are more of your old school-style Sabbath influence types
    Strapping Young Lad - City
    High On Fire - Blessed Black Wings

These are considered more Black Metal with atmospheric qualities
    Wolves in the Throne Room - Two Hunters
    Summoning - Stronghold

These 2 are so good it makes my head spin.
    Alcest - Le Secret
    Amesoeurs - Ruines Humaines

If you want to just drink beer and have a great time
    Korpiklaani - Tales Along This Road
  • mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    I forgot to mention.. I find it impossible to take most Metallica seriously. I understand how monumental it was, but I guess you had to be there. It's cheesy, reminds me of boys' cartoons and I'd file it under 'Old skool' along with Megadeth.

In your first post, you said you want "rhythm, technicality, and change of tempo" and in your second post you said you can't take Metallica seriously. It's a complete contradiction, because

1. James Hetfield is, imo, the best rhythm guitarist ever and definitely the most underrated.

and

2. there is no band EVER that can change tempo multiple times within one song the way that Metallica could on their 4 good albums.

and for the "technicality" part, I'd say Hammett is pretty technical, but I don't even care much about the lead stuff, it's the rhythm and the tempo changes.

their lyrics aren't for Rhodes Scholars, ok. they've done some asshole moves, ie Napster, ok. their last 3 albums have sucked balls, ok. but if you can't take them seriously, then rhythm and change of tempo are 2 things that you are NOT looking for because they are the masters of both. I highly suggest you get "Master of Puppets" and "...And Justice For All". if you are not a fan after listening to those 2 albums beginning to end, then metal is not your cup of tea imo.
  • Masto Fucking Don.
    They say I'm rappin like BIG, jay, and tupac
    Andre 3000 where is eryka badu at
    Who dat
    Who dat said dey gon beat lil wayne
    My name ain't Bic but I keep dat flame man

2008 CHICAGO CUBS MAGIC NUMBER = 62

BEAR DOWN!!!!!
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    I BrisK I wrote:
    Metallica + Pantera + Mastodon = BEST METAL!
    i shall call him....METERADON!!!
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,558
    itsevobaby wrote:
    i shall call him....METERADON!!!

HAHAHAH

good one ;p
  • totaledheadtotaledhead Posts: 197
    I like rhythm, technicality and changes in tempo (hence my liking of System of a Down). I love ATMOSPHERE (hence my liking for Deftones).

IF this is the case, then you have to check out Opeth! Their percision is unbelieveable! They have truely mastered prog metal, from soft acoustic guitars with gentle wailing to heavy in your face metal! They're unreal! :D
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    Along with Sevendust and Nonpoint, I'd also like to add Mudvayne and Otep
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • dirtdirt Posts: 398
    Personal favs I'd recommend to anyone:

ISIS - Panopticon
    Mastodon - Blood Mountain
    Opeth: Watershed
    Black Sabbath: Vol. 4
    Iron Maiden: Piece of Mind
    Tool - Lateralus
    Deep Purple - Machine Head
    Metallica - Master of Puppets
    drive less - RIDE MORE!
  • TrailerTrailer Posts: 1,431
    I would start with the best and move on from there...

So, go buy Vulgar Display of Power and Far Beyond Driven.
    Whoa, chill bro... you know you can't raise your voice like that when the lion's here.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,854

Where should I start? I have no real Metal in my collection at all.

two words

Iron Maiden
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • ProgFan511ProgFan511 Posts: 51
    Metal is dead

Black Sabbath are good, get some of their stuff

Im sorry, but metal isnt dead. Maybe the glam shit, but yeah.
    Just look at europe during the summer months, metal festivals all over the place.
    Also, check out the documentary Headbangers Journey.

Bands to check out:

Judas Priest
    Black Sabbath
    Black Sabbath w/ Dio
    Testament
    Death
    Dark Angel
    Dream Theater
    Opeth
    Brutal Truth
    Naplam Death
    Cynic
    motorhead
    Symphony X
    Sabbat
    Electric Wizard
    Sahg
    Candlemass
    Nuclear Assault
    Iron Maiden
    Overkill
    Fates Warning
    Grave
    King Diamond
    Mercyful Fate
    Macabre
    Atheist
    Necrophagist
    Possessed
    Carnivore
    Venom
    Celtic Frost
    Sonata Arctica
    Martyr
    Monstrosity
    Blood Duster
    Pantera
    Down
    Superjoint Ritual
    Porcupine Tree
    megadeth
    High on fire
    Baroness
    Arson Anthem
    eyehategod
    crowbar
    S.O.D
    Goatwhore
    rigor mortis
    Nile
    Immolation
    Suffocation
    warbringer
    sleep
    paths of possession
    cannibal corpse
    dying fetus

this should help you out
    6/22/08 DC
  • I like rhythm, technicality and changes in tempo (hence my liking of System of a Down). I love ATMOSPHERE (hence my liking for Deftones). The stuff I loved in this rock night quite often switched from fast and chuggy with growling vocals, to sloooow and chuggy and full of SLUDGY atmosphere.

Sludge is actually a genre of metal.

You like technical and fast? Try Soilent Green.

SOAD, Korn and Deftones are not metal.
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Metal is dead

Coming from an Oasis fan?! :confused:

Come back when you know what you're talking about.
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.