I'm a METAL noob, help me out?!!!

Comments

• But what kind of 'real metal' do you want to get into? What is 'real metal' to you Mark? As a few of us have pointed out, there's A LOT of different types.

I put it in inverted commas cus I don't go for the term 'real metal'. But I've heard naysayers of Nu-Metal tell me that it isn't 'real metal', so hey ho. ;) I realise there are 100s of genres and I'm looking forward to finding what I like.
    Out of interest, what Pantera, Fear Factory and Soulfly have you heard?

Only the links posted here, but I sort of like what's been posted.
    I didn't grow up with Metallica, infact I was only just born when Kill 'em All was released. Someone suggested listening to Master of Puppets, I think that's as good a place as any to start giving Metallica a chance, it is one of the greatest metal releases ever. Also, I never said they were ground breaking.

Nope, fair enough, but a lot of people do, including some of my friends. I only know what I've been told I 'should' feel about Metallica. Maybe that's what's put me off. I'll listen to Master of Puppets. :)
    You don't think you'll like thrash? How about giving it a go first.

I know what thrash sounds like, even if I can't pin any bands to it, and I don't expect to have my expectations blown out of the water. Feel free to prove me wrong. :)
    I have heard Oceansize - i'm not overly struck.

Different strokes I guess. Who knows, maybe after all this I'll find out that I like music containing elements of metal, but not full-on metal itself.

Just a question: Are there any metal bands you'd suggest for good lyrical content? Some of what I'm hearing, although technically brilliant musically, has very surface-level lyrics. It's not 'thinking man's music' like Pearl Jam. Even SOAD is very clever and full of satire.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Check out Death, Emperor, Esoteric, Electric Wizard, Om, Kayo Dot (kind of jazz-metal :p I even heard them described as "post-metal" a few times :rolleyes: They're incredible anyway)
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • I put it in inverted commas cus I don't go for the term 'real metal'. But I've heard naysayers of Nu-Metal tell me that it isn't 'real metal', so hey ho. ;) I realise there are 100s of genres and I'm looking forward to finding what I like.

Only the links posted here, but I sort of like what's been posted.

Nope, fair enough, but a lot of people do, including some of my friends. I only know what I've been told I 'should' feel about Metallica. Maybe that's what's put me off. I'll listen to Master of Puppets. :)

I know what thrash sounds like, even if I can't pin any bands to it, and I don't expect to have my expectations blown out of the water. Feel free to prove me wrong. :)

Different strokes I guess. Who knows, maybe after all this I'll find out that I like music containing elements of metal, but not full-on metal itself.

Just a question: Are there any metal bands you'd suggest for good lyrical content? Some of what I'm hearing, although technically brilliant musically, has very surface-level lyrics. It's not 'thinking man's music' like Pearl Jam. Even SOAD is very clever and full of satire.

So what do you like?

This? http://youtube.com/watch?v=FpslVtZYXi0

This? http://youtube.com/watch?v=XVGcS5YWg_M

This? http://youtube.com/watch?v=L9xiSOfbmTs

This? http://youtube.com/watch?v=1unzN2zsA4k

This? http://youtube.com/watch?v=Km8xIs24UeY&feature=related

This? http://youtube.com/watch?v=mHPPR7xxraQ

This? http://youtube.com/watch?v=egbzgYm1iDc

This? http://youtube.com/watch?v=-x7Ez7yCyA8

This? http://youtube.com/watch?v=-s7P6s0YXGk

This? http://youtube.com/watch?v=bVl-QMPtwtk

This? http://youtube.com/watch?v=bvlSTL4FOzg

This? http://youtube.com/watch?v=q3Ckw4t_YuA

I could go on and on.

I think you need to decide what you want from your music and start from there. Just saying 'I wanna get into metal' and asking for suggestions probably isn't the best approach as metal means different things to different people.

Nu metal may not be the most brain taxing genre, but it certainly is a metal genre. Just like Sludge, doom, thrash, black, stoner and death. It just depends what tickles your fancy.

There are a lot of metal bands with great lyrical content but again, it depends what you're after. Pantera have some GREAT lyrics, Rob Zombie sings about everything from Living Dead Girls to 70's Sleaze, Down have some good reflective lyrics about drug addiction, Soulfly sing about tribes, war and losing those close to you... There are bands who sing about zombies, heart break, family, drug addiction, 50's movies and even white supremacy... Like all music, it really isn't a case of who sings about what or lyrical content... it's about how the music makes you feel. There are some songs I have listened to for years that I've seen live and yet I still don't understand all the lyrics yet I absolutely adore them. Depending on the band, you may not understand all the lyrics to start with and you may just think it's shouting, stick with it. You soon train your ears to the ramblings of frontmen such as Max Cavalera and Chris Barnes.

Thrash, again, is multi-layered. How you think thrash sounds isn't how all thrash bands sound. I remember someone telling me that Slayer are 'too shouty' for them. I find Slayer to be one of the more comprehendible bands... and so did they, after they'd listened to them. :rolleyes:
    And in response to people telling you how you 'should' feel about Metallica? Dude, don't let anyone tell you how to feel about anything. I'm just asking you to give them more of a chance.

I've been a metal fan since I was a kid, my dad introduced me to Sepultura when I was only 13. I've been to numerous metal gigs and seen bands some people can only dream of. Metal to me isn't just lyrical content or how I dress (not that anyone said that but I have been accused of it in the past) for me it's like a soundtrack to my life, to growing up and making memories of being out in the world on my own. I'm not saying it should be that personal to you. I understand that you have an interest in learning more about the genre as a whole but you need to know that there is more to it than just 'metal'.
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • i mostly only like the oldies: Pantera, Slayer, Sabbath, and early Metallica. I cant stand the grunt shit.

High on Fire is awesome! Alabama Thunderpussy is pretty cool too.
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Esoteric, Electrix Wizard,

Esoteric are my work mates band, he's sat 3 desks away.

I think you mean Electric Wizard.
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

• MrSmith wrote:
    Alabama Thunderpussy is pretty cool too.

Good call dude!!! Great band :D

• I'd like to hear Metallica do a faithful cover of it. :D Lars on banjo, Rob on fiddle... It'd be one for the ages.
    Ah man that'd be awesome!! They should do it just for the craic one day... I pay to see that shit! :D

• Ah man that'd be awesome!! They should do it just for the craic one day... I pay to see that shit! :D

Damn right you'd pay - Metallica are pretty touchy about that kinda thing, I hear. :p
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Damn right you'd pay - Metallica are pretty touchy about that kinda thing, I hear. :p
    Indeed... infact, have we paid up so that we can use the band name?

Jeez, I feel a traditional San Fran sueing coming on... ;)

• Indeed... infact, have we paid up so that we can use the band name?

Jeez, I feel a traditional San Fran sueing coming on... ;)

I think Kirk Hammett has to pay licensing fees to James and Lars just for seeing his own likeness in the mirror. :D
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • I think Kirk Hammett has to pay licensing fees to James and Lars just for seeing his own likeness in the mirror. :D

Ah Lars... Metal's answer to 'The Leprechaun'.

• prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    Rob Zombie
    Now that you mention him..... I recommend some White Zombie as well! They are quite different but great. You probably know this one:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewFRAzaDUyY

And since you're following links, here's Orion, possibly the greatest song of the 80's:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbUJilAbPQA
  • danny72688 wrote:
    Now that you mention him..... I recommend some White Zombie as well! They are quite different but great. You probably know this one:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewFRAzaDUyY

I didn't suggest them cuz Mark said he doesn't like the synths in FF. I assume he wouldn't like the samples and heavy modified sound of WZ, I awaite correction though. Good suggestion however, one of my favourite all time bands :D

• Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Esoteric are my work mates band, he's sat 3 desks away.

I think you mean Electric Wizard.
    I do, it was a typo. tis only one key away :p

But that's awesome :eek: Tell him The Maniacal Vale is awesome and definitely a top 5 album of the year :)
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • some of my favorites=
    pantera
    judas priest
    in flames
    genitorturers
    dethklok
    kmfdm (not exactly "metal" but they rock just as hard)
  • so many good metal bands..

Iron Maiden
    Black Sabbath
    Pantera
    Opeth
    Lamb of God
    Unearth
    Tool
    ISIS
    Slayer
    Mastodon
    In Flames
    High on Fire
    Coliseum
    Down
    All That Remains
    Arch Enemy
    Dark Tranquility
    Behemoth
    Amon Amarth
    Slipknot
    Nile

There you go ! Think that is plenty ! a good mix of old school/new school/thrash/death/power/prog/sludge/groove/etc

Hope ya get into some of this stuff.
    {if (work != 0) {
    work = work + 1;
    sleep = sleep - work * 10;}
    else if (work >= 0) {
    reality.equals(false);
    work = work +1;
    }system("pause");
    return 0;}
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    doesnt seem danzig was mentioned. i guess some might not call him metal but the stuff with john christ is awesome. danzig II is like the best blues/metal album ive ever heard.
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    Metal is dead

Many, many people think the same thing about Pearl Jam. It's not dead to people like Sian and Rhino.

Thanks to both of you (Sian and Rhino) for your great insights.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • rrivers wrote:
    Many, many people think the same thing about Pearl Jam. It's not dead to people like Sian and Rhino.

Excellent irony: I don't even like metal that much anymore. :p Sian seems to know what she's talking about though.

But thanks for the kind words. :)
  • Lamb of God
    I'm glad someone finally mentioned them :D

Fucking awesome band!! But again, probably not for the OP.
    doesnt seem danzig was mentioned. i guess some might not call him metal but the stuff with john christ is awesome. danzig II is like the best blues/metal album ive ever heard.

Danzig is a great metal/blues cross over. The OP may enjoy it a little more as it's very melodic.

and you're right, II is his best album :)
    rrivers wrote:

No problem! thank you :)
    Sian seems to know what she's talking about though.

You know me Al, it's all a facade... I have wikipedia on another tab ;)

• PJ-SinPJ-Sin Posts: 348
    There has been some really good suggestions here.
    Anything Opeth would be a good place to start.
    Meshuggah is freaking just insane!!
    I dont know if anyone said Sepultura (old stuff with Max)
    Lamb of God kicks some ass
    Dragonforce is incredible (if you can get past the vocals) the guitarists are just amazing.
  • You know me Al, it's all a facade... I have wikipedia on another tab ;)

I knew it! We're such frauds. :D
  • I knew it! We're such frauds. :D

You're a fraud... i'm as innocent as the day I was born ;)

*halo shines*

• You're a fraud... i'm as innocent as the day I was born ;)

*halo shines*
    Now what kind of self-respecting metalhead would be seen with a bright, spangly halo? :p Honestly, sometimes I think I'm the only one with any integrity around here...

*goes back to listening to Linda Ronstadt singing Desperado* :D
  • Now what kind of self-respecting metalhead would be seen with a bright, spangly halo? :p Honestly, sometimes I think I'm the only one with any integrity around here...

*goes back to listening to Linda Ronstadt singing Desperado* :D

Who said I was a metal head? :confused:

*sings along to Jethro Tull* ;)

• Who said I was a metal head? :confused:

*sings along to Jethro Tull* ;)
    :D Well, at the very least, you're the expert in this thread. And by talking to you, I got to share the credit! ;)
  • :D Well, at the very least, you're the expert in this thread. And by talking to you, I got to share the credit! ;)

Nah, I just know what i'm talking about and love talking about it! Tis true, I do love me some metal :D

Credit thief ;)

• Nah, I just know what i'm talking about and love talking about it! Tis true, I do love me some metal :D

Credit thief ;)
    :p I just looked back over this thread, and realised that all I've contributed was one Fear Factory video, and one Dubliners video. I'm so out of place here. :D
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    I'm not that into metal, I really only listen to Metallica, Megadeth, and Pantera. But I haven't seen Shadows Fall mentioned in this thread. I have only heard their album, "The Art of Balance", but I really dig it.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    https://tixx1.artistarena.com/opeth/

Okay if you live near any of these cities go see this show.

OPETH, HIGH ON FIRE, & BARONESS

I've seen High on Fire and Baroness before and they are great live. Also two of my favorite metal bands. I have not seen opeth yet but i love their stuff.

I got tickets for the Atlanta show 20 dollars for the ticket with a 5 dollar fee. 25 bucks total for three of my favorite metal bands.

This tour is gonna be awesome. I guess baroness is only on the october 6 and afterwards dates. Another band is opening for the first half but i'm not sure who.

. 16 - Buffalo, The Town Ballroom - NY
    Sep. 17 - Philadelphia, Trocadero - PA
    Sep. 18 - New York, Nokia Theatre - NY
    Sep. 19 - Worcester, The Palladium - MA
    Sep. 20 - Quebec City, Theatre Imperial - QC
    Sep. 21 - London, Centennial Hall - ON
    Sep. 23 - Cleveland, House of Blues - OH
    Sep. 24 - Chicago, House of Blues - IL
    Sep. 25 - Grand Rapids, The Orbit Room - MI
    Sep. 26 - Milwaukee, The Rave - WI
    Sep. 27 - St. Paul, Myth - MN
    Sep. 29 - Winnipeg, The Garrick Centre - MB