Options

Nirvana Is Overrated!

13»

Comments

• Options
    KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    Here is the answer of me! (It's only an opinion)

Nirvana was a good band, but they are still a little bit overrated now. They made some of good songs and made 1 complete good album (In Utero). And when I'm talking about overrated, I'm talking about 'Nevermind'. It's a good album, but not great. The only reasons why they are so big is because of the media that hyped them with the 'grunge' thing and because Kurt killed himself (sorry for this, but when a star died only the best thing of the star will be remembered). I also never understood the definition of 'grunge'. I think 'grunge' was introduced by a label that want to create a 'new type of music' to sell more albums.

Conclusion:
    Nirvana is for sure a good band, but not great!
  • Options
    cookie5798cookie5798 Posts: 396
    I'm not a huge Nirvana fan, but I watched the dvd that came with the boxset last night and it was very raw! It was cool to see what Nirvana was before they became popular! I enjoyed it and I do enjoy their music!
    We need Pearl Jam in Atlanta!!! 2006-2007

The dirty south needs a fix.
  • Options
    karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    i cannot believe that in this whole thread, unless i missed it, no one has mentioned their brilliant unplugged cd.

It's OK, but Alice in chains unplugged is better
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    It's OK, but Alice in chains unplugged is better

sorry karma, but i have to disagree. alice is good but it doesn't take all that much to make their songs acoustic i feel. don't get me wrong i love alice but...
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    sorry karma, but i have to disagree. alice is good but it doesn't take all that much to make their songs acoustic i feel. don't get me wrong i love alice but...

I like unplugged Nirvana as well, but the warm sound and the bass on Alice unplugged makes it that I like their efforts better. I hope Pearl jam try's to do another unplugged session, because compared to the fore mentioned it is a bit disappointing. Good but not as great as Pearl jam could make it.
    Anyway Nirvana unplugged is really good as well.
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • Options
    chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    Oz Jammer wrote:
    Gwen Stefani knows how to put out a 'catchy tune'

..... no she doesnt. ;)
  • Options
    i cannot believe that in this whole thread, unless i missed it, no one has mentioned their brilliant unplugged cd.

It was a great performance no doubt. But, why were their so many people on stage with them...? I thought Nirvana had 3 members...? I remember counting like 6 people playing on stage with them...
    www.myspace.com/sharkie002
  • Options
    moses562moses562 Posts: 1,382
    I don't get it... Who are we to discredit someone who believed in what they were doing... I mean I have never loved Nirvana but I at least respect them... I mean it's music, which is an art form so it's going to be subjective... but with that it's unfair to say they are overrated... You cannot count them out no matter what you think... They made an impact/change PERIOD.
    "A man has the right to be as big as he feels it in him to be." Ken Kesey
  • Options
    moses562 wrote:
    I don't get it... Who are we to discredit someone who believed in what they were doing... I mean I have never loved Nirvana but I at least respect them... I mean it's music, which is an art form so it's going to be subjective... but with that it's unfair to say they are overrated... You cannot count them out no matter what you think... They made an impact/change PERIOD.

Good post. I agree that arguing over music is silly. Its all subjective. I do take exception when I hear people say Nirvana 'made' the seattle scene what it was, and SoundGarden, AIC, Pearl Jam would be nowhere without them. I think we would know these bands with or without Nirvana. Major labels were all over this scene before Nirvana was relevant. Everybody knows Soundgarden was the 1st Seattle band signed to a major. Mudhoney was the 1st to attract media attention and created the initial buzz for the "Seattle sound". Alice in Chains was already signed to a major in 1989, and was gaining popularity before Nevermind was released. Mother Love Bone was already signed to a major in 1989 as well, and was surrounded by alot of hype before Andy died.

Obviously, Nirvana exploded, and all the seattle bands benefitted from it. Yeh, they were the 1st to "hit it big". But with all the attention Seattle was getting before Nevermind, you can't say it would not have happened anyways. The scene was bursting, and Nirvana kicked the door open, but that door was on its last hinge...
    www.myspace.com/sharkie002
  • Options
    Save MeSave Me Posts: 147
    I loved Soundgarden and love Pearl Jam. Nirvana didn't quite excite me as much. IMO, Nevermind's great but I just think overall, Soundgarden and PJ have/had better writing and musicians;more overall talent. The music is on another, more spiritual level. Also prefer Eddie and Chris's vocals to Kurt's.
    "The Wild is chasing after me. Hot on my trail won't leave me alone. All I can see is your blood right in front of me, and I can't kill The Wild." Me
  • Options
    bacchanalbacchanal Posts: 149
    Save Me wrote:
    I loved Soundgarden and love Pearl Jam. Nirvana didn't quite excite me as much. IMO, Nevermind's great but I just think overall, Soundgarden and PJ have/had better writing and musicians;more overall talent. The music is on another, more spiritual level. Also prefer Eddie and Chris's vocals to Kurt's.

i am not sure if u ever saw him play live...if u did u would know what all the fuss was about...i saw them live in san diego at this tiny club called the casbah and OMG.....thats all i have to say about that!!!
  • Options
    I think it's pretty tasteless to bash a dead person, and then have the audacity to discredit his band. Nirvana did so much for music in general. I get really tired of these types of posts. I don't post much myself, but leave the bitching for somewehere else.
    Quiet Patriot for the World's Revolution
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    People can bitch whereever they want, aboiut whomever they want. The wonder of the internet.
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    franziskafranziska Posts: 11
    who knows...
    Crumbling images no longer comfort me.
  • Options
    back to the point of the thread..i was jus listening to man who sold the world...and wow..forgot how delicious that rendition is.
    www.paulbrowneart.co.uk : portfolio of an oil painter
  • Options
    It was a great performance no doubt. But, why were their so many people on stage with them...? I thought Nirvana had 3 members...? I remember counting like 6 people playing on stage with them...

the extra guitarist was pat smear, who was in the germs. and who had been working with nirvana. and who went on to work with dave grohl in foo fighters. the other two musicians on stage were curt and cris kirkwood who are the meat puppets. kurt wasn't too confident with their songs, so when nirvana played 'lake of fire', 'oh me' and 'plateau' he figured why not be surrounded with allies and people who knew the songs better than him. and who better than the guys who wrote them. kurt was also acknowledging his respect for meat puppets by doing so.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Nirvana was rated propperly.
  • Options
    darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    Ok, I will admit, I do think Nirvana is highly overrated, but at the same time, they're in my top 10 for all time favorite bands. Here's the reason why...

Nevermind was a good album, but it wasn't the greatest album ever made. Smells Like Teen Spirit is a good song, but there are better songs off of Nevermind. I personally thought In Utero was incredible, and I really enjoyed Nirvana's Unplugged performance. And yes, Kurt Cobain was an awesome lyricist!! Music isn't about difficulty, it's about meaning, and if you can connect with it...Kurt was able to reach out to a lot of youth at the time, and that's why ppl loved his music. Granted, there nowhere near as good as Pearl Jam or Alice in Chains, but the still blow the fuck out of the shit ppl listen to today, and they did matter when they were around.
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • Options
    SarahCanadaSarahCanada Posts: 196
    Nirvana were not overrated at all. Their simple 3 minutes pop songs were an attraction to a lot of people.

Look how the media causes celebrities to have car accidents and eating disordered in contemporary times. The media influence pouncing on the band that didnt want it caused them to behave in certain ways too. You cant make everything negative in life go away.
    I went to the concert
    And I fought through the crowd
    Guess I got a little too excited
    When I thought you were around
  • Options
    I didn't read this entire thread, but my question is how many people (on the board) were actually "there" in the late 80's/early 90's when Nirvana burst onto the scene and how can you truly comment on it if you weren't old enough to see what was going on? They totally changed the music scene. How can anyone say they are overrated, unless you are just referring to so much of the media shoving it down your throat that it makes you sick of hearing it? As far as 3 minute riffs, Nirvana could do more in three minutes than most bands could do in an entire album or career. And IMO it came from within the depths of Kurdt and how he expressed himself. You don't see that in very many musicians. He was a true artist and Nirvana was a great band.
  • Options
    LaFoursLaFours Posts: 42
    I can say I was very much aware of Nirvana's impact in '92, being 14 at thew time. They, simply put, changed mainstream music. Sure you had your "heavy" bands that got play, GNR, Motley Crue, whatever. But rock for the most part, true rock, not some schtick, was nowhere on the map. You had to dig for it which, funily enough I now relish.
    But Nirvana, as the flick "Hype!" put it changed everything. Suddenly there was a band telling America how f'd up their kids were feeling, and those kids finally had something to relate to, not some pappy crap you heard on your radio or some cheerful video on MTV. This was from the heart, viceral. Smells Like Teen Spirit was the coolest f'n thing on tv in a long time, a big f u to "normal" life.
    True Soundgarden and AIC were signed before this, but neither had the impact, I don't know anyone that had Louder than Love, Flower, or Fopp, before Badmotorfinger, maybe in the Seattle area they did. I think I'm forgeting one.
  • Options
    yeah i was very aware of nirvana. they were like a punch to the face. and they appeared to be just like us. and they were. the issues they dealt with, were the same ones we dealt with. it wasn't about drinking and getting stoned and whoring for the mindless fun of it. it was about feeling and fuck you and yeah sometimes i feel a bit down so get off my back. same goes for what eddie was writing about on TEN. the music was the result of their upbringing. it was stuff grown ups didn't want to be articulated because a lot of the time it reflected badly on them.i was already a parent when nirvana exploded, but i was the same age, and here were someone telling me it was okay to feel the way i felt. it wasn't music that just appealed to angsty teenagers.
    you know one of the most amusing images i have from the nineties, is seeing axl rose shimmying across this huge stage wearing a flannette shirt. now how's that for having an impact?
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    bacchanalbacchanal Posts: 149
    I didn't read this entire thread, but my question is how many people (on the board) were actually "there" in the late 80's/early 90's when Nirvana burst onto the scene and how can you truly comment on it if you weren't old enough to see what was going on? They totally changed the music scene. How can anyone say they are overrated, unless you are just referring to so much of the media shoving it down your throat that it makes you sick of hearing it? As far as 3 minute riffs, Nirvana could do more in three minutes than most bands could do in an entire album or career. And IMO it came from within the depths of Kurdt and how he expressed himself. You don't see that in very many musicians. He was a true artist and Nirvana was a great band.

I was 18 in 91.....saw them once in san diego at a tiny club.....u have no idea unless u saw them live how truly amazing they were.....kurt was totally wasted....and he played perfectly while rolling around on the ground and stage diving.....it was absolutely amazing.....truly paved the way for all good music after!!!!
  • Options
    reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    RehabDoll wrote:
    True Soundgarden and AIC were signed before this, but neither had the impact, I don't know anyone that had Louder than Love, Flower, or Fopp, before Badmotorfinger, maybe in the Seattle area they did. I think I'm forgeting one.

Ultramega OK.:)

And yeah I was a teen when Nirvana came out, and they had the same impact in the 90's that The Beatles had in the 60's, fucking blew everything out of the water, yeah the media took things out of proportion but thats not Kurt, Dave or Krist's fault is it?
    Can not be arsed with life no more.