Options

Nirvana Is Overrated!

Vedderman51Vedderman51 Posts: 606
edited April 2006 in Other Music
From reading the previous thread on Kurt Cobains death that i now closed it got me thinking how truely overated Nirvana was. Kurt wrote simple 3 minute power pop songs. ( as described in previous thread). That werent all that great. But it is still very sad about his death and no one should joke about death and/or commiting suicide Anyway our beloved PJ is a true American rock band.. to me the greatest American band EVER! All I am saying is PJ would still be where the are today with or without Nirvana.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    jemmsjemms Posts: 664
    i have respect for just about every early 90's band to emerge during this time...

to sum up my opinion
    OFFICIAL AUSTRALIAN TOUR MEMBER #77

Ten Club (289xxx)

http://www.myspace.com/k_r_y_s_t_i_e

www.rarerecords.com.au =)
  • Options
    keyser_sozekeyser_soze London, England Posts: 205
    Jeetz wrote:
    From reading the previous thread on Kurt Cobains death that i now closed it got me thinking how truely overated Nirvana was. Kurt wrote simple 3 minute power pop songs. ( as described in previous thread). That werent all that great. But it is still very sad about his death and no one should joke about death and/or commiting suicide Anyway our beloved PJ is a true American rock band.. to me the greatest American band EVER! All I am saying is PJ would still be where the are today with or without Nirvana. If you don't think so EAT SHIT!

i think everythings overrated. fucking hypemachine
    www.facebook.com/PandoraApparel
  • Options
    avec23avec23 Cardiff, UK Posts: 27
    Jeetz wrote:
    From reading the previous thread on Kurt Cobains death that i now closed it got me thinking how truely overated Nirvana was. Kurt wrote simple 3 minute power pop songs. ( as described in previous thread). That werent all that great. But it is still very sad about his death and no one should joke about death and/or commiting suicide Anyway our beloved PJ is a true American rock band.. to me the greatest American band EVER! All I am saying is PJ would still be where the are today with or without Nirvana. If you don't think so EAT SHIT!

Your mother is overrated. Going by what all your mates had told me about her, last night was a complete let down.

Cardiff 06/06/2000
    Reading 27/08/2006
    Wembley 18/06/2007
    Shepherds Bush 11/08/2009
    Manchester 17/08/2009
    Hyde Park 25/06/2010
    Manchester 20/06/2012
    Manchester 21/06/2012
    Leeds 08/07/2014

London 17/07/2018

Hyde Park 08/07/2022

Hyde Park 09/07/2022

• Options
    Gremmie95Gremmie95 Posts: 749
    I always found it intersting that Soundgarden didn't get more credit for the Seattle movement. If I remember correctly they were jamming in '88, a full three years before the explosion.
  • Options
    MisterEMisterE Posts: 13
    Jeetz wrote:

My we are shortsighted! Nirvana made it cool for MTV and radio to start playing "grunge" music. That opened the door for the whole country to get exposure to Pearl Jam's music. As much as some may hate to admit it, MTV had a huge hand in Pearl Jam's popularity.
  • Options
    That was completely unnecessary. Why say something like that?

Regarding Nirvana: Not overrated. Hugely talented, creative, ground-breaking band with truly visionary frontman/song-writer. I think Pearl Jam would agree.

If Nirvana had lasted they would have pushed Pearl Jam to even greater heights, sort of like the Stones-Beatles symbiosis. I think the rather morbid tone of post-Vitalogy Pearl Jam has a lot to do with the passing of Lane and Kurt, related disillusionment.
  • Options
    Jeetz wrote:
    From reading the previous thread on Kurt Cobains death that i now closed it got me thinking how truely overated Nirvana was. Kurt wrote simple 3 minute power pop songs. ( as described in previous thread). That werent all that great. But it is still very sad about his death and no one should joke about death and/or commiting suicide Anyway our beloved PJ is a true American rock band.. to me the greatest American band EVER! All I am saying is PJ would still be where the are today with or without Nirvana.

nirvana was for me inspiration to write music, listen to other music, go to concerts etc. they were a great rock n roll band, and sometimes simple is good.

gossard said some weeks ago in an interview "yeah, we are like playing the same five chords as we did in the start" Of course PJs music is more complex and MUCH better, but Nirvana was a decent band, and not at all hyped. He was a genious writing simple, groovy and aggresive rock songs.

period!
    Roskilde
    Astoria
    Barcelona
    Bologna
    Verona
    Milano
    Torino
    Berlin
    Athens
    København
    Nijmegen
  • Options
    avec23 wrote:
    Your mother is overrated. Going by what all your mates had told me about her, last night was a complete let down.

thats a really mature response
  • Options
    Jeetz wrote:
    thats a really mature response

Your mother is mature too. That's why I thought she'd know what to do last night. Obviously, I thought wrong.

Cardiff 06/06/2000
    Reading 27/08/2006
    Wembley 18/06/2007
    Manchester 17/08/2009
    Hyde Park 25/06/2010
    Manchester 20/06/2012
    Manchester 21/06/2012
    Leeds 08/07/2014

London 17/07/2018

Hyde Park 08/07/2022

Hyde Park 09/07/2022

• Options
    Jeetz wrote:

I agree that PJ would have made it regardless but the band that put the Northwest music scene on the map in a big way was Nirvana. As far as Nirvana being overrated, I couldn't disagree with you more.
  • Options
    Oz JammerOz Jammer Posts: 9,858
    A bunch of 3 chord losers (except Dave Grohl.......... who i think should've had more input into the band's songs instead of shitty backing vocals on Aneurysm)
  • Options
    MisterE wrote:
    My we are shortsighted! Nirvana made it cool for MTV and radio to start playing "grunge" music. That opened the door for the whole country to get exposure to Pearl Jam's music. As much as some may hate to admit it, MTV had a huge hand in Pearl Jam's popularity.

Good point.. but I think they still would have still been a sensation without MTV. The music would have carried them to stardom
  • Options
    Jeetz wrote:

Agreed. Had Cobain not died as tragically as he did they would never have been given so much credit. Foo Fighters are 1000x better.
    So this life is sacrifice...
    6/30/98 Minneapolis, 10/8/00 East Troy (Brrrr!), 6/16/03 St. Paul, 6/27/06 St. Paul
  • Options
    Foo Fighters are 1000x better.

That is the most retarded thing I have ever read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ha ha ha ha!

Cardiff 06/06/2000
    Reading 27/08/2006
    Wembley 18/06/2007
    Manchester 17/08/2009
    Hyde Park 25/06/2010
    Manchester 20/06/2012
    Manchester 21/06/2012
    Leeds 08/07/2014

London 17/07/2018

Hyde Park 08/07/2022

Hyde Park 09/07/2022

• Options
    keyser_sozekeyser_soze London, England Posts: 205
    Gremmie95 wrote:
    I always found it intersting that Soundgarden didn't get more credit for the Seattle movement. If I remember correctly they were jamming in '88, a full three years before the explosion.

indeed soundgarden and green river were jamming as far back as 1983/84.

while kurt was still living under some bridge somewhere.
    ah thats harsh i've a lot of love and respect for nirvana. got me into this wild, grunge thing. don't really listen to them anymore though and i hope courtney doesn't rape the catelogue for all its worth.
    www.facebook.com/PandoraApparel
  • Options
    eddies grrleddies grrl Posts: 509
    Jeetz wrote:

how did YOU close it? i'm still not sure why it was closed to begin with.

i like nirvana, i listen to their stuff still, quite a bit. i think either band, pj or nirvana, would have existed without the other, so i'm not sure what your point is there. during those early years, there was simply too much that wanted to get said, so i don't think anything could have kept either kurt or ed or any of the others from having their say and making their music. i never compare the two bands because, why do you have to? why can't you like both?? i don't know about anyone else, but my heart and my musical tastes are open enough to hold them both.
    Life is the riddle
    Of which we're caught in the middle.
    A couple of lucky ones
    Tangled up in too much love
    ~cowboy junkies
  • Options
    MisterEMisterE Posts: 13
    Jeetz wrote:
    Good point.. but I think they still would have still been a sensation without MTV. The music would have carried them to stardom

Pearl Jam is too good not to be successful. But what do you see at a typical Pearl Jam show? A quarter of the arena is hard core fans who know every line to every song. The rest seem to be waiting (sometimes not so patiently) for Evenflow, Alive, or Jeremy. You can even see if in the way the band is now being marketed - there is a huge effort to win back the casual fan.
  • Options
    Agreed. Had Cobain not died as tragically as he did they would never have been given so much credit. Foo Fighters are 1000x better.

Nirvana was already on their way out before he died. But his death put them as some rock icon.
  • Options
    MisterE wrote:
    Pearl Jam is too good not to be successful. But what do you see at a typical Pearl Jam show? A quarter of the arena is hard core fans who know every line to every song. The rest seem to be waiting (sometimes not so patiently) for Evenflow, Alive, or Jeremy. You can even see if in the way the band is now being marketed - there is a huge effort to win back the casual fan.

AGREED!!!...
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    yes yes

he is very overrated buts its sad to see a seattle musician die
  • Options
    DocChicagoDocChicago Posts: 653
    I've seen the "simplicity" of Nirvana songs repeatedly cited as a reason for dismissing their quality and/or importance. This is garbage. A simple song can be beautiful, but this is not always very easy to do. There are plenty of rock or punk bands out there who use the same chords as Nirvana songs but do not have the ear for melody that Cobain had.

And if you're one of the Nirvana haters who has been sneering about "3-chord losers" and you like Whipping, Lukin, Satan's Bed, Brain of J, Save You, Habit, or any of PJ's other simple punk songs, then you're a bit of a hypocrite.
    It is time to admit that we used to rock like hurricanes. It is time to run for the hills and go round and round. It is time for us to shout at the devil. We've got the right to choose it, there ain't no way we'll lose it, and we're not gonna take it anymore.
    - C. Klosterman
  • Options
    KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    A little bit overrated, but someone have to do the dirty job!
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    Klumpie wrote:
    A little bit overrated, but someone have to do the dirty job!

ha

i guess...... but they shouldn't of got all that fame and shit. not saying fame is great and stuff, but they were seen as amazing, but they wern't if anyone heard soundgarden or alice in chaisn then they would have fainted
  • Options
    dCowboyPJdCowboyPJ Posts: 479
    I use to be a pretty big Nirvana fan until I gave bands like Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, and Soungarden a listen and then I realized how overrated they were too. Now I have a hard time listening to them. They made ONE good studio album. I don't know how you can be so great only releasing one good album...
  • Options
    KlumpieKlumpie Posts: 2,649
    I BrisK I wrote:
    ha

i guess...... but they shouldn't of got all that fame and shit. not saying fame is great and stuff, but they were seen as amazing, but they wern't if anyone heard soundgarden or alice in chaisn then they would have fainted

There are so many better bands are out there. But I never knew them personally, because I was 7 years old at that time. But that they are overrated is clear, but I think 'the media' is the reason why they are so overrated.

I don't think the members of Nirvana asked to be knewn as a fantastic superb perfect great band, but then agains I personally don't knew them good enough.
  • Options
    chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    Wow ive never seen a topic regarding Nirvana being over-rated before, very original.
    Agreed. Had Cobain not died as tragically as he did they would never have been given so much credit.

Comments like that really piss me off.

No, Kurt wasnt a great guitarist, but he was an amazing song-writer, knew how to put a melody together and made catchy tunes that blew people away at the time.

But you know, each to their own, thats your opinion.
  • Options
    I use to be a pretty big Nirvana fan until I gave bands like Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, and Soungarden a listen and then I realized how overrated they were too. Now I have a hard time listening to them. They made ONE good studio album. I don't know how you can be so great only releasing one good album...

Exactly! couldn't have said it better myself
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Gremmie95 wrote:
    I think soundgarden actually formed in '84 or maybe '83. They certainly had songs on the deep six compilation in '85.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    KravenKraven Posts: 829
    1 good studio album? Are you on fucking crack or something? Every album was better than the last. Have you listened to In Utero or Bleach? Have you listened to Incesticide?

Oh and Nirvana was formed in 1987 and the had been playing with each other sine 85, they weren't a fucking overnight success. Unlike a certain band...

Want to know a fact? The album Ten did not start selling until Nevermind and Nirvana hit the scene. What does that say?

Also three chords? Kurt has written some of the most melodic and beautiful songs I have ever heard... All Apologies? Pennyroyal Tea? Something in the Way? Heart Shaped Box?

And who gives a fuck about simplicity? Do you think Corduroy or Not For You is the most complicated stuff? What about Alive? Thats just chords with the same repeated riff over it... What about Porch? What about Severed Hand?

Give fucking respect where its due. And if they are overrated its not because Kurt was like we are fucking gods, its because media did it. Don't dismiss a band because the media says theyre great.

Oh and read the fucking signature. That will give you Eddies feeling on it all.
    32 shows and counting...
  • Options
    offhegoes09offhegoes09 Posts: 327
    Jeetz wrote:
    All I am saying is PJ would still be where the are today with or without Nirvana.

Amen Brother
    "The whole world will be different soon"