8/22/98 - Toronto
    8/26/98 - Cleveland
    10/7/00 - Detroit
    4/25/03 - Cleveland
    6/23/06 - Pittsburgh
  • Options
    karma defectkarma defect Posts: 5,483
    Jeetz wrote:
    From reading the previous thread on Kurt Cobains death that i now closed it got me thinking how truely overated Nirvana was. Kurt wrote simple 3 minute power pop songs. ( as described in previous thread). That werent all that great. But it is still very sad about his death and no one should joke about death and/or commiting suicide Anyway our beloved PJ is a true American rock band.. to me the greatest American band EVER! All I am saying is PJ would still be where the are today with or without Nirvana.

Well the way he kept the songs simple is why he is so fucking brilliant. What do you want then, Steve Vai or Joe Satriani? That is not simple, but it sucks the worst.
    Listen to In utero that album is much more daring than anything Pearl jam ever did.
    Don't get me wrong with this I like Pearl jam way better than Nirvana. Pearl jam has warmth and the anger from the early days was more out of frustration because life could be so much better, where with Nirvana there isn't any hope. In Nirvana songs I hear acceptance that life sucks. Eddie is very passionate and Kurt was a cynic. That's why Pearl jam's music touches me in a deeper more profound manner.
    To say Nirvana is overrated, well I know you can’t debated taste, but if I could I’d say you don’t have a clue.
    « One man's glory is another man's hell.
    You’re on the outside, never bound by such a spell.
    Together in the darkness, alone in the light.
    I took it upon me to be yours, Timmy,
    I’ll lead your angels and demons at play tonight......»
  • Options
    melodyman22melodyman22 Posts: 326
    that person who said foo fighters is way better then nirvana get real i do like dave grohl but he cant sing or write songs half as good as kurt nirvana was awesome kurt was great
  • Options
    that person who said foo fighters is way better then nirvana get real i do like dave grohl but he cant sing or write songs half as good as kurt nirvana was awesome kurt was great

Well, I've talked about it, carried on, reasons are re-newed.

I agree.
  • Options
    Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,490
    so sick on vh1 and stuff seeing top 25 of the 90s and seeing nirvana at 1 with smells like teen spirit.

i hate that song, its on every 10 minutes,its so lame!

quit with the nirvana pleeeease and play some AIC!
  • Options
    audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    I have a lot of respect for everthing Kurt and Nirvana did, and I would never dismiss their music as rubbish, but that said, i'm not a huge fan.

I find it very difficult to make an honest judgement of them, as the media hype them up even today. As someone said, songs like Smells Like Teen Spirit are on the "alternative" music channels a lot, and on a lot of programs to do with the best work of the 90's. I just think it's hard to honestly judge their music for these reasons, as I like to discover music without any preconceptions or expectations.

Many, if not all, of my favourite bands have been discovered this way. Bands likes Alice In Chains and Soundgarden, along with Pearl Jam aswell, I only discovered a few years ago. I'd heard parts of songs from Alice In Chains and Soundgraden, thought they sounded good and investigated further. Very glad I did. The only reason I discovered Pearl Jam at all was because my sister heard me listening to these other bands and gave me a copy of Ten, and told me i'd like it.

Maybe if I were a few years older and was around to see the impact Nirvana had on the music scene at the time, i'd have a better appreciation and understanding of their music, but as it is, I don't.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    I use to be a pretty big Nirvana fan until I gave bands like Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, and Soungarden a listen and then I realized how overrated they were too. Now I have a hard time listening to them. They made ONE good studio album. I don't know how you can be so great only releasing one good album...

and that ONE good studio album would be????????
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    and that ONE good studio album would be????????

That is a good question. Hahaha
    I like an answer.
  • Options
    audiodave wrote:
    I have a lot of respect for everthing Kurt and Nirvana did, and I would never dismiss their music as rubbish, but that said, i'm not a huge fan.

I find it very difficult to make an honest judgement of them, as the media hype them up even today. As someone said, songs like Smells Like Teen Spirit are on the "alternative" music channels a lot, and on a lot of programs to do with the best work of the 90's. I just think it's hard to honestly judge their music for these reasons, as I like to discover music without any preconceptions or expectations.

Many, if not all, of my favourite bands have been discovered this way. Bands likes Alice In Chains and Soundgarden, along with Pearl Jam aswell, I only discovered a few years ago. I'd heard parts of songs from Alice In Chains and Soundgraden, thought they sounded good and investigated further. Very glad I did. The only reason I discovered Pearl Jam at all was because my sister heard me listening to these other bands and gave me a copy of Ten, and told me i'd like it.

Maybe if I were a few years older and was around to see the impact Nirvana had on the music scene at the time, i'd have a better appreciation and understanding of their music, but as it is, I don't.

Nirvana is the billboard for most people. They know nirvana and then discover what's beyond that. Just like the Beatles were for their time. Read Kurt's lyrics and you will definitely find some jewels in there. I think this whole thread is just too bizarre. Nirvana is a very good band. With 2 really good album an interesting Insecticide and a masterpiece that's called In utero.
    I'm a Beatles man myself, but it would be silly of me to argue that the Stones were overrated, just for that reason.
    OK Nirvana was a hype, so what? That does not mean it isn't any good. Do you guys really think Sonic youth would like Nirvana if it sucked?
    And to you Audiodave I say you will find that they are a good band, and Kurt was a skilled songwriter if you just take a serious listen.
  • Options
    . ...........and a masterpiece that's called In utero.

i knew there was a reason i liked you karma.:) :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    *snore, snore, snore*

You know what's overrated? Thinking that NIRVANA's overrated. It seems to be the thing to say these days. :rolleyes: I personally can't stand the use of the word. Overrated by who?? You? The one doing the rating?
    When it all comes down to it, it's really all subjective.

NIRVANA filled a musical void...wether you like it or not.
    NIRVANA was incredibly influential and had tons of positive effects on the musical world.

Their music?
    Yes they were simple, but not everything has to be technical to be great. I love the slop. You don't think they were great? Ok. And? Ah I just love that people that say they are SO glad Kurt died cuze he never "deserved" that fame and attention anyways. :rolleyes: Who's to say who "deserves" anything?? This just HAPPENED! Honestly, I think they'd actually agree with the "overrated" comments. NIRVANA/KURT never asked for all this attention....never asked to blow up, but yes, they were very successful. Some people don't approve? Well that changes nothing, I'm sorry that offends people...oh wait, no I'm not. :D I happen to LOVE their music intensely but am also completely comfortable with admitting that the rush of fame was mainly due to being in the right place at the right time. This happens in life. Apparently people are angry about this and often like to point the finger and blame. I don't understand it.

Yes everyone is entitled to their own opinion and here's mine.....it just gets old. All these "Ugh there's too much Nirvana praise. They're so overrated" threads totally outnumber the positive ones. I'm surprised they're not "underrated" on this board by now. :rolleyes:

I don't like confrontational threads...but I definitely make a frequent appearance in these ones, which doesnt really help in getting rid of them does it? :p Anyways I can't help it. I always feel the need to let my voice be heard on this.

And I also DON'T think PEARL JAM would be where they are if things didn't happen the way they did.
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • Options
    VEDHEAD27 wrote:
    And I also DON'T think PEARL JAM would be where they are if things didn't happen the way they did.

yeah thank goodness andy wood died. ;)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Oz JammerOz Jammer Posts: 9,858
    chris01 wrote:
    Wow ive never seen a topic regarding Nirvana being over-rated before, very original.

Comments like that really piss me off.

No, Kurt wasnt a great guitarist, but he was an amazing song-writer, knew how to put a melody together and made catchy tunes that blew people away at the time.

But you know, each to their own, thats your opinion.

Gwen Stefani knows how to put out a 'catchy tune' but you don't see people putting her into the 'legend' bracket.
    Now, if she put a shotgun to her head.................
    ;)
  • Options
    yeah thank goodness andy wood died. ;)

:eek: :eek: :eek:!!!!
    You know what I mean though. ;)

<~~ goes back to listening to NIRVANA/AIC playlist
    :D

"Lo√e, you know the word

• Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    Nirvana is a band that I will acknowledge had a huge impact on popular music, but outside of maybe 4 songs I will not listen to or enjoy their music.
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    VEDHEAD27 wrote:
    Anyways I can't help it. I always feel the need to let my voice be heard on this.

And what a lovely voice it is.
    And the things that come out of it, if I was a hippie I'd say groovy.
    As it is I'll just say well put.
  • Options
    Awww thanks karma defect! :D That's so sweet of you. This is something I feel very strongly about and I'm always ready to let it out...and ALWAYS prepared for the battle that follows. ;)

Echoes wrote:
    Nirvana is a band that I will acknowledge had a huge impact on popular music, but outside of maybe 4 songs I will not listen to or enjoy their music.

Well atleast you have the acknowledge/respect. :) Right on Echoes.
    I just don't see why it has to get so ugly and all these words have to get thrown around. You don't like them? Ok. Thanks for the random update of hate. How about posting about things that you LOVE instead? Just an idea. I know these people wanna let their voice be heard too but this has been "heard" 100+ times and what good does it do?? You don't think they "deserved" this fame? LOL!!! I mean come on!

deserve & overrated = stupid words

"Lo√e, you know the word

• Options
    beachdwellerbeachdweller Posts: 1,532
    I think all the hype about Nirvana being over-rated is unnecessary. yes they are somewhat, but they were a great band, and an important band of their time.

Listen to the albums, not the MTV only songs, Nirvana was a great band, though Kurt's death is of course going to bump them more, but so what, that's the same for most artists that die before their time.

I hadn't listen to Nevermind for years until a few months ago, and I was amazed at how good the album was. I still think In Utero is a better album though.

Their importance may have been lessened over time if they continued and the quality of music dropped, but this could have been said about others also.

Let it be, lol
    "Music, for me, was fucking heroin." eV (nothing Ed has said is more true for me personally than this quote)

Stop by:
    http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=14678777351&ref=mf
  • Options
    Hey I was just wondering. How do the people rate Nirvana that say they are overrated?
    And how are they rated in general.

I mean Pearl jam doesn't even begin to compare to let's say Pink Floyd or the Beatles and I haven't even mentioned Motorpsyco or dEUS or Sonic youth or Dylan. I love the emotional importance Pearl jam has for me. But musically they are not the most interesting I own.
    Maybe you guys are really overrating Pearl jam.

Just a thought.
  • Options
    avec23 wrote:
    Your mother is overrated. Going by what all your mates had told me about her, last night was a complete let down.

Hey you were supposed to keep it nice on this forum.
  • Options
    basically everyone on the forum gives Pearl Jam more credit than is due for a 90's arena rock revival band
  • Options
    pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    I used to love Nirvana and then I got a bit sick of them and started to think they were overrated. Now after taking a listen to their albums, I have grown quite fond of them again. They were and always will be very big, one of the most important bands, and very influential. Although they arent my favorite band or even top 10 bands for me, if it wasnt for them.......I might not be listening to rock music or any of the same bands I do today. Man how I miss the 90's........way better music back then. At least I got to experience the music then, I feel sorry for anybody in their teens for the shit music they have to endure during this decade so far.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Options
    I feel sorry for anybody in their teens for the shit music they have to endure during this decade so far.

Music this decade is so good, it just isn't being played on the radio. I do agree with you, I feel really bad for anyone who is stuck listening to the radio. So much crap/
  • Options
    syzygy523syzygy523 Posts: 26
    Nirvana deserves all the love that they receive. Eddie would be the first to admit it (and he has, in the past). They paved the way for the enitire "alternative" rock genre in the early 90s. This being the anniversary of KC's death, I wish nothing but the best for his family and friends. RIP, KC.

- Mike.
  • Options
    Such a beautiful post syzygy523. :) I could not agree more.

(((( :::RIP KURT::: )))

:(

Miss so much. The power & greatness certainly lives on though...always will (despite others wishes:D ).

As I always say, I like to think that him and LAYNE are up there, both finally at peace, and just jamming away. :):o

"Lo√e, you know the word

• Options
    brhf9brhf9 Posts: 1,475
    this thread is overrated.
    'Go easy, step lightly, stay free!'

You have been banned for the following reason:
    inappropriate post.

'Too many people on this earth. We need a new plague.' - Dwight Schrute
  • Options
    Echoes wrote:
    basically everyone on the forum gives Pearl Jam more credit than is due for a 90's arena rock revival band

glad i'm not basically everyone.

for me, it's eddie's words mostly.i think that there are times when mike could be convicted at trial of being too much of a guitar hero. but that's okay cause there are those times when his playing is just too sweet.Pearl Jam don't do anything innovative. but what they do, they do well.
    and i don't know how a band can even be over rated. who listens to the music? YOU. and yours is the only opinion that counts. who cares what the suits say, all they're looking for is a marketable commodity. that is why mudhoney aren't bigger than thou. same goes for TAD. angsty kurt, and eddie for that matter are a marketer's dream.
    in closing i'd like to say that nirvana are my favourite band. they have been for 14 years now and they will remain my favourite band probably until the day i die. others come and go with differing intensity, but for me it begins and ends with nirvana. everything else is just a distraction.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    i cannot believe that in this whole thread, unless i missed it, no one has mentioned their brilliant unplugged cd.
    "I never make plans that far ahead"
  • Options
    i cannot believe that in this whole thread, unless i missed it, no one has mentioned their brilliant unplugged cd.

that's because it doesn't need mentioning. it is supreme. but not without it's own mythology. i think that kurt meant it as an elegiac performance.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    pjfan020pjfan020 Posts: 426
    Personally, I'm not a huge Nirvana fan. I didn't really dig Kobain's guitar work, which i understand wasn't his expertise. He was a very good songwriter in my eyes though. He could write some catchy melodies yet still have a powerful meaning behind the song. To me though, the guitar work gets very old and I tend to shun a band if the music with it isn't to my standards. I to think that Nivana's success helped the rest, SG, AIC, PJ, but I don't understand why one of those bands wasn't the spark. To me the other three are much better musicians and songwriters, yet Nirvana got the attention first. That's my two cents.
    "Tonight we're just gonna play you some good old American Rock and Roll." tom petty-7-15-05