***Official Please Play The South Petition***

Comments

• AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    stick a fork in this thread, i do believe its done!
  • MakingWavesMakingWaves Posts: 1,293
    JTR wrote:
    The way the band has stayed together in the last seven years after Denmark is to really start seeing Pearl Jam as a business. Not completely, but enough that they don't drive eachother crazy. Unquestionably, the music is their #1 motivation by far, but the approach to the mechanics of making and touring music has become very "job" oriented. This avoids the big mood swings and drugs habits, etc that often surround Rock N' Roll.

Nowhere was this more obvious than when I was on the 4th row at MSG 2 in 2003 and Ed said something like "sorry if we feel like we've got a bit of a job to do" when he forgot to say hello to the crowd, and then proceeded to say "how the fuck are ya'?". When asking the band members how they have not grown tired of one another, all answer the same way because in band meetings they have come up with a common way of approaching the issue. They don't spend time together very much - on purpose. And they see their roles now as their "job".

I say all of this because tours that touch the South in the past few years have LOST MONEY. So they don't see a good reason to go out and spend time away from recording or family to LOSE MONEY.

However, I did ask clearly this morning if the South will be a part of next year's tour and he said "absolutely, we had planned this fall to do it, but too much fell out".

Love this band.

Just got back in town from skiing in Colorado. What an awesome time! Thanks for the news JTR and even though it is bad news I can honestly say I don't really mind. We will catch them next time around.
    It was fun meeting people on this thread. See you next year when we can talk about the tour. Later.
    Seeing visions of falling up somehow.

Pensacola '94
    New Orleans '95
    Birmingham '98
    New Orleans '00
    New Orleans '03
    Tampa '08
    New Orleans '10 - Jazzfest
    New Orleans '16 - Jazzfest
    Fenway Park '18
    St. Louis '22
    Just got back in town from skiing in Colorado. What an awesome time! Thanks for the news JTR and even though it is bad news I can honestly say I don't really mind. We will catch them next time around.
    It was fun meeting people on this thread. See you next year when we can talk about the tour. Later.

welcome back
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    I hope to see y'all on the other side...this ordeal has been too much of an ordeal. Hope everything works out for everyone...maybe this organization that I used to admire will return to what made it special to me once upon a time. I'm steppin' off the Porch...PBM will know this little ditty:

GOODBYE
    These cities blur before me, a swirl of colors leaned against the sky
    Gone so far away and I never really told you good bye
    I know it's kind of lame but sometimes things just turn out that way
    We were the best of friends and I'll always remember you that way

We started out with nothing, but wild plans and big ideas and dreams
    You were quick to swing the hammer and always fast with some ingenious scheme
    Sometimes we argued violently but forged it out of bedrock into steel
    Our foundations were so solid and our instincts based on something very real
    I feel so damned nostalgic every time I think about those times
    I forget how it became that I wouldn't recognize you on the line
    I start to feel so guilty but goddamn it I swear to you I tried
    To bridge between the distances before I left without saying good-bye

I have friends I met last weekend and friends I've had since I was eight
    Friends I've said goodbye to and friends who unexpectedly passed away
    And nothing is disposable; at least it's never been that way for me
    Its not like you were an acquaintance that I could say never really meant anything to me
    No we were really great friends and I always thought that it would be that way
    Yet I wonder if I'd know you if the guy that I saw last walked in here today
    And I swear until I die, I never would have expected you and I
    To grow so far apart and leave without ever saying good bye
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154
    tybird wrote:
    PBM will know this little ditty

Cheers to you, my friend:

""To love is to feel pain" there ain't no way around it
    The very nature of love is to grieve when it is over
    The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to role the credits
    Better role them now before something else goes wrong"

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Cheers to you, my friend:

""To love is to feel pain" there ain't no way around it
    The very nature of love is to grieve when it is over
    The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to role the credits
    Better role them now before something else goes wrong"

PBM
    My thoughts exactly........This was a Tybird Production...written by Tybird Directed by Tybird Executive Producer: Daystar143 Copyright 2006-2007
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    tybird wrote:
    My thoughts exactly........This was a Tybird Production...written by Tybird Directed by Tybird Executive Producer: Daystar143 Copyright 2006-2007

Starring

LeatherMandi as ...... LeatherMandi
  • stonegstoneg Posts: 1,940
    stoneg as....... stoneg
    Ft. Lauderdale 96'
    Tampa 00'
    West Palm Beach 03'
    House of Blues 03'
    Tampa 03'
    Kissimmee 04'
    West Palm Beach 08'
    Tampa 08'
    Eddie Vedder Clearwater both nights 2012
    ...and guest staring PBM as "Joe the Policeman"

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

• stonegstoneg Posts: 1,940
    Attenion: Anyone who live in FL.Ga.S.C. or anywhere for that matter who can make it down to Savannah Ga the weekend of June 23rd and 24thPlease go to this thread: http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=239160
    Ft. Lauderdale 96'
    Tampa 00'
    West Palm Beach 03'
    House of Blues 03'
    Tampa 03'
    Kissimmee 04'
    West Palm Beach 08'
    Tampa 08'
    Eddie Vedder Clearwater both nights 2012
  • hello friends:

i haven't posted here in a while, mainly b/c i've been buried in environmental engineering books for the past couple weeks (yesterday was my M.S. comprehensive exam). I have however been checking in daily to catch up on the latest news. Checking this thread now seems like second nature to me. Many thanks to those who have participated and shared their feelings, we will miss you if you do choose to leave us. That being said,

I'm not going anywhere.

I will continue to check in, I'll post replies to myself if need be. I'm here for two reasons, PJ and the fans. PJ has played a huge role in my life over the last decade+. The fans are part of what makes this band special. I have no idea where I'm going with this?

No PJ in the south...it finally sinks in.

best,

presenttents
    4/18/03, 10/6/04, 9/11/05, 6/24/06, 6/16/08, ?
  • WesternskyWesternsky Posts: 363
    Oh no. :(

To say that I'm disappointed would be an understatement. I didn't think they would make it back to San Antonio this year, but I really thought I'd be able to drive to Dallas or Houston, or even New Orleans for a show (maybe fly to Atlanta?). I was almost counting on it.
    Fuck.
    I almost don't know what to say...
    You ever have that feeling of extreme disappointment/sadness/frustration at a situation that you have no control over (like rush hour accident traffic, but way worse?)... that's me right now. tristeza

In the words of my favorite 2 year old "I wanna kick something."
  • KertokovichKertokovich Posts: 193
    Well see ya later to whoever wants to bailout. I will still check this thread and contribute from time to time as I have since its inception. So what if they are not coming this year. Should we not still petition for their return in 08? If you believed this made any difference in the world to begin with, why give up now?

Play the South
    Play the South
    Play the South

Peace
    Can't You Feel This World, With Your Heart and Not Your Brain
    Nov. 1993 OKC
    Sept. 1995 Austin
    July 1998 Kansas City
    Oct. 2000 Dallas
    June 2003 Dallas
    Well see ya later to whoever wants to bailout. I will still check this thread and contribute from time to time as I have since its inception. So what if they are not coming this year. Should we not still petition for their return in 08? If you believed this made any difference in the world to begin with, why give up now?

Play the South
    Play the South
    Play the South

Peace

i'm not so sure it made any difference at all, that's the frustrating part
    Should we not still petition for their return in 08? If you believed this made any difference in the world to begin with, why give up now?

Sure, but it's the process and the communication that is in question.

PBM

Dollpartz wrote:
    i'm not so sure it made any difference at all, that's the frustrating part
    I understand and wondered that from the beginning. Still it now seems that it did get back to them so that they were aware, even if it had no influence on what they did. Of course they know their fans in the south want them to play in our neck of the woods again, a peition such as this on their message board just reaffirms that and moreso gives us a voice, even if we are only heard by each other. For me I enjoyed hearing what my fellow lovers of Pearl Jam down here thought. Like presenttents said for me it was and is an outlet, a ray of hope and comraderie. SO I will miss those who decide to quit but it aint no big deal in my life if they go, just like I am not going to cry if Pearl jam never comes around here again. I am sure they will be here in 08. Until then i will continue visiting. I do hate to see people get disgruntled with the band over this. Sometimes it is not quite the relationship we envision it to be, but in reality it never was quite to that level and that is ok as it is still something special.

Play the South
    Play the South
    Play the South
    Play the South
    Nov. 1993 OKC
    Sept. 1995 Austin
    July 1998 Kansas City
    Oct. 2000 Dallas
    June 2003 Dallas
  • I understand and wondered that from the beginning. Still it now seems that it did get back to them so that they were aware, even if it had no influence on what they did. Of course they know their fans in the south want them to play in our neck of the woods again, a peition such as this on their message board just reaffirms that and moreso gives us a voice, even if we are only heard by each other. For me I enjoyed hearing what my fellow lovers of Pearl Jam down here thought. Like presenttents said for me it was and is an outlet, a ray of hope and comraderie. SO I will miss those who decide to quit but it aint no big deal in my life if they go, just like I am not going to cry if Pearl jam never comes around here again. I am sure they will be here in 08. Until then i will continue visiting. I do hate to see people get disgruntled with the band over this. Sometimes it is not quite the relationship we envision it to be, but in reality it never was quite to that level and that is ok as it is still something special.

Play the South
    Play the South
    Play the South
    Play the South

that is exactly what i meant to say, thank you.
    4/18/03, 10/6/04, 9/11/05, 6/24/06, 6/16/08, ?
  • SPALMASPALMA Posts: 2,279
    this damn thread just doesn't sink away... I ahve purposely posted in some older threads so I wouldn't see it sitting on that first page... and here it is again.

there's just a lot of sourness to be worked thru, I guess. It just got so negative and heavy. But at least there is a another focus that is positive... the meet up in Savannah. (in another thread).

Perhaps this thread should be limited to the old chant...

"Play the South"

because the optimism is gone.
    "I don't want to hear any splatty tongues!"
    J.M., Jr. High Band Teacher

I raise my Freak Flag High!!
    F*ck Pessimism

:)Pearl Jam in the South in 08:)
    Nov. 1993 OKC
    Sept. 1995 Austin
    July 1998 Kansas City
    Oct. 2000 Dallas
    June 2003 Dallas
    F*ck Pessimism

Does the lack of optimism = pessimism ?

SPALMA wrote:
    Does the lack of optimism = pessimism ?

No way..... the word just made me think of Ed saying "F the pessimists" at a show I heard or saw. I am not getting down on you or anybody, it is all good.

Pearl Jam in the South in 08
    Nov. 1993 OKC
    Sept. 1995 Austin
    July 1998 Kansas City
    Oct. 2000 Dallas
    June 2003 Dallas
    End of the day and work week bump

Pearl Jam in the South in 08:)
    Nov. 1993 OKC
    Sept. 1995 Austin
    July 1998 Kansas City
    Oct. 2000 Dallas
    June 2003 Dallas
    No way..... the word just made me think of Ed saying "F the pessimists" at a show I heard or saw. I am not getting down on you or anybody, it is all good.

Oh, I didn't think you were at all!... just curious to define what I am feeling right now... perhaps just confused. When you have no power in a situation, it is hard to define reactions to events.

Am surprised at the mass exodus from this thread... not exactly sure why. It is sad.

• dcfaithfuldcfaithful Posts: 13,076
    You've got my signature.

ATLANTA!!!
    7/2/06 - Denver, CO
    6/12/08 - Tampa, FL
    8/23/09 - Chicago, IL
    9/28/09 - Salt Lake City, UT (11 years too long!!!)
    9/03/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 1
    9/04/11 - East Troy, WI - PJ20 - Night 2
  • JTRJTR Posts: 347
    Ed said he's a possimist.
    JTR wrote:
    Ed said he's a possimist.

only people paying posses can say this.

old habits are hard to break, but this thread has lost its spark
    Dollpartz wrote:
    old habits are hard to break, but this thread has lost its spark

hee.. hee... I knew it!

SPALMA wrote:
    hee.. hee... I knew it!

hush up, you don't know nuthin
    :rolleyes:

okay, alright, i'm a thread ho ;)

its callin me
  • holleroxxholleroxx Posts: 473
    Still bumpin'!! I know this is getting old but it's nice to see we are still on page1 PLAY THE SOUTH Sometime soon???
    And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky,a human being that was given 2 fly - Bryan you are loved R.I.P