***Official Please Play The South Petition***

Comments

• FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    NCBRI wrote:
    This whole thing makes me feel weird. First Im pissed because I dont get to see my favorite band and the greatest band in the world. Im dissapointed in the way we were snubbed last year and by the way the tour was announced. This year, I was shocked when they announced they were playing Europe because I wasnt expecting anything this year because they deserved a break and there are obvious budding family situations and they should invest time there. So when they decide to play Europe again kinda felt like a slap in the face.

The other thing, though, is that I kinda feel guilty. I shouldnt be this emotionally involved. There are more important things in life. I cant imagine people being so enamoured with me that they follow every detail of my life. Sure its great to be loved, but you can cross the line and its this kind of stuff that freaked the boys out earlier in their careers and no doubt still does. That is why they withdrew from the spotlight. It would be so easy to burn out. That is why I really cant sit here and be angry. Sure there are aspects that need to be improved on and hopefully will as far as communication and better planning. But, their music has brought so much to me over the years and I feel lucky to have seen them live 3 times. No fan of this band can say they have been cheated.
    We got our feelings hurt. We will survive. And the next time they play down here, whether its next year or whenever, it will be great as always. So just try to relax, cheer up, and maybe step away for a while to put things into perspective.

PS: Where are the bat wings? :)

PLAY THE SOUTH
    before I get old
    talking bout my geographical location baby

:)

very nicely said!

I feel the same... i feel so much for the people that have gotten shafted (including myself) but i could never not love this band, as much as i wish the communication was better..... they will always be a part of me, and i wish them nothing but the best..... this long wait will only make that "first" show that much better... it will be like the first time :)
  • SPALMASPALMA Posts: 2,279
    NCBRI wrote:
    This whole thing makes me feel weird. First Im pissed because I dont get to see my favorite band and the greatest band in the world. Im dissapointed in the way we were snubbed last year and by the way the tour was announced. This year, I was shocked when they announced they were playing Europe because I wasnt expecting anything this year because they deserved a break and there are obvious budding family situations and they should invest time there. So when they decide to play Europe again kinda felt like a slap in the face.

The other thing, though, is that I kinda feel guilty. I shouldnt be this emotionally involved. There are more important things in life. I cant imagine people being so enamoured with me that they follow every detail of my life. Sure its great to be loved, but you can cross the line and its this kind of stuff that freaked the boys out earlier in their careers and no doubt still does. That is why they withdrew from the spotlight. It would be so easy to burn out. That is why I really cant sit here and be angry. Sure there are aspects that need to be improved on and hopefully will as far as communication and better planning. But, their music has brought so much to me over the years and I feel lucky to have seen them live 3 times. No fan of this band can say they have been cheated.
    We got our feelings hurt. We will survive. And the next time they play down here, whether its next year or whenever, it will be great as always. So just try to relax, cheer up, and maybe step away for a while to put things into perspective.

PS: Where are the bat wings? :)

PLAY THE SOUTH
    before I get old
    talking bout my geographical location baby

I understand that they have priorities and that we are not occupying any portion their consciousness, but it is an organization that has failed in some respect. And voicing our concerns is not invading their privacy in any way.

I don't think we have done anything wrong or improper to make the boys run to safety. We have been waiting a year... so we just stop?

Whatever.
    "I don't want to hear any splatty tongues!"
    J.M., Jr. High Band Teacher

I raise my Freak Flag High!!
  • moe0227moe0227 Posts: 21
    bump
  • NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    SPALMA wrote:
    I understand that they have priorities and that we are not occupying any portion their consciousness, but it is an organization that has failed in some respect. And voicing our concerns is not invading their privacy in any way.

I don't think we have done anything wrong or improper to make the boys run to safety. We have been waiting a year... so we just stop?

Whatever.

I just think maybe we are feeling a little too entitled? Hey, I admit I have been part of it. I guess a lot of it has been in fun too, but I just started thinking last night that WOW, I can't believe I just posted a hundred little :mad: things. It just kinda hit me and I started feeling like maybe I was acting like a spoiled little kid to a certain extent. There really has been quite a bit of harsh things said in the last 24 hrs or so. I don't know. Just my own personal guilt I guess. I still believe in keeping the ol' thread alive, just not allowing it to become a part of my life and maybe ratcheting the anger down and trying to swing back to the positive. I think my problem extends beyond the scope of PJ deciding to not play the south. Its all the comments and negativity that we have seen here and in the real world from ignorant people from "other geographical locales". All the stereotypes etc. kinda wares on you. I think that aspect was a huge contributor to my emotional contribution to this cause. It definitely was the cause of my angry post that was removed from this thread. It clear that I have to do a better job of ignoring that kinda stuff though.

Anyway, everyone have a great fucking weekend no matter where you live.

THE SOUTH ABIDES
    Brian
  • prytojprytoj Posts: 536
    A quarter of the year is already over, and we still don't even get a sniff of a show.

Meanwhile, Dave Matthews Band will have managed to play yet another double dip down here in South Florida. Even Tool is gonna make it down here.

I've been shelling out my $25 for ten years now, I live in a major market. I expect a home show after the new record. Sorry, I'm funny that way. Leaving us hanging is just bullshit.

At least I can look toward all that cash I'll be making from poster, bootleg, and vinyl resales!

Thanks for the loyalty guys! I'm goin right there with ya. At this point I'm like don't even bother coming.
  • cashcash Posts: 55
    "Routing"

whatever...you mean you couldnt have played 1 texas show in Dallas before jumping out west? whatever. Horseshit reason, but im done giving my $25...i dont get shows and i never get my xmas single..whats the point.
  • stonegstoneg Posts: 1,940
    Ouch! Tons of people really pissed off now.Personally I am not mad at the band.I would have loved to have seen them in the last year.But I did not.I know better next time if I do not see any southern dates to go to the closest Northern date.I have too many good memories and a soul connection to the band. I really feel they do not have so much control over the business end of things.If that were the case we would not have as much of their music as we do.I feel better that I know they are not coming this year.I can finally relax a little bit about all of this.
    Tybird I hope you are feeling better today about the band.If not Thanks for everything.
    If I have any anger towards anyone or anything on this board It would have to be towards JTR for making all of these hardworking southern folks strung along all these months.My source tells it to me straight and does not leave me hanging for days and weeks.Her name is Liz Burns.She is Kelly Curtis's Asst.And I am not scared to post it.And I am proud to post it.I have made some great connections on this thread Dollpartz,Leathermandi, and Splama. Savannah 2007 Not For You Tour is still on for June and anyone is invited to come the more the merrier.I think it is time to let this thread die and move on to more positive things.PJ Friends. So in a way I am signing off of this thread and moving on.I will start a Savannah 2007 thread today.All are invited.No negative please.
    You may say that I am a dreamer but I am not the only one.I hope some day you will join us and the world will be as one.
    Peace,
    Clinton(stoneg)
    Ft. Lauderdale 96'
    Tampa 00'
    West Palm Beach 03'
    House of Blues 03'
    Tampa 03'
    Kissimmee 04'
    West Palm Beach 08'
    Tampa 08'
    Eddie Vedder Clearwater both nights 2012
    stoneg wrote:
    Ouch! Tons of people really pissed off now.Personally I am not mad at the band.I would have loved to have seen them in the last year.But I did not.I know better next time if I do not see any southern dates to go to the closest Northern date.I have too many good memories and a soul connection to the band. I really feel they do not have so much control over the business end of things.If that were the case we would not have as much of their music as we do.I feel better that I know they are not coming this year.I can finally relax a little bit about all of this.
    Tybird I hope you are feeling better today about the band.If not Thanks for everything.
    If I have any anger towards anyone or anything on this board It would have to be towards JTR for making all of these hardworking southern folks strung along all these months.
    I have made some great connections on this thread Dollpartz,Leathermandi, and Splama. Savannah 2007 Not For You Tour is still on for June and anyone is invited to come the more the merrier.I think it is time to let this thread die and move on to more positive things.PJ Friends. So in a way I am signing off of this thread and moving on.I will start a Savannah 2007 thread today.All are invited.No negative please.
    You may say that I am a dreamer but I am not the only one.I hope some day you will join us and the world will be as one.
    Peace,
    Clinton(stoneg)

Exactly my thoughts Clint....

time to let this thread go bye bye.......
    its been real kids ;)

Just to let you guys know, ive had tons of fun with you the past couple of months. You are all such wonderful people. Those who are pretty upset about this whole thing, i understand. Just try to remember all the good that has come out of this :)

we planted trees.... we made new friends... not half bad eh?

(i would like my free doughnuts back though, :D *points elbow at ten c* )
    NCBRI wrote:
    I just think maybe we are feeling a little too entitled? Hey, I admit I have been part of it. I guess a lot of it has been in fun too, but I just started thinking last night that WOW, I can't believe I just posted a hundred little :mad: things. It just kinda hit me and I started feeling like maybe I was acting like a spoiled little kid to a certain extent. There really has been quite a bit of harsh things said in the last 24 hrs or so. I don't know. Just my own personal guilt I guess. I still believe in keeping the ol' thread alive, just not allowing it to become a part of my life and maybe ratcheting the anger down and trying to swing back to the positive. I think my problem extends beyond the scope of PJ deciding to not play the south. Its all the comments and negativity that we have seen here and in the real world from ignorant people from "other geographical locales". All the stereotypes etc. kinda wares on you. I think that aspect was a huge contributor to my emotional contribution to this cause. It definitely was the cause of my angry post that was removed from this thread. It clear that I have to do a better job of ignoring that kinda stuff though.

Anyway, everyone have a great fucking weekend no matter where you live.

THE SOUTH ABIDES

I actually liked your censored posting - it only voiced what we have all felt at one time or another.

Entitled... I don't think we are asking much... I cringe when I see people say we "deserve" some shows... we don't - The key to this issue is that we are asking for communication only. I don't see this as a "spoiled brat entitlement" mentality.

So what is this thread about? If we de-personalize it then, technically, no one should post anything else other than "Play the South". We have ALL "vented" at some point... I think it is only natural... we have been under fire at times... and yet we are still methodically chanting away, only to find we may or may not see them NEXT year. our mission has been unanswered, ignored and in a great many instances mocked by spectators. Frustration.

My hopes for this thread is to get "noticed", to have our voices heard, to perhaps influence the group in some way. Campaign - get our message across. Somewhat of a protest mentality at times - I thought Ty's bandwidth assault was a great protest...

this is a passionate group of people sharing thoughts and feelings about a band that we commonly love. We have grown with their music, ideals and passion. Part of the attraction is their political and social posture and the freedom to express our thoughts about the band is why we are here in this forum to begin with.

I suppose it is a personal choice as to how much emotion, time and energy we want to invest into this activity... and patience.

and you have a great fucking weekend too :)

• PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154
    This whole mess reminds me of that scene in Forrest Gump.

Remember? He decides to run, then one person decides to follow him, then another...until a whole crowd follows him around the country because they believe in him.

Then, one day, he decides to go home.

One of my favorite quotes from that movie comes from one of the runners:

Forrest: "I'm pretty tired. I think I'll go home now."

Runner: "Now what are we supposed to do?"

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org

Remember? He decides to run, then one person decides to follow him, then another...until a whole crowd follows him around the country because they believe in him.

PBM

so the thread is dead?

• yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    We could all start writing letters to the band...each of us write a short letter a week...don't underestimate the power of the pen!
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
    SPALMA wrote:
    so the thread is dead?

i think so beb....

It has ran its course i do believe...

besides... at least we can be the ones to "end" it... im sure if we dont, some how or another it will happen :D
    yield2me wrote:
    We could all start writing letters to the band...each of us write a short letter a week...don't underestimate the power of the pen!

as much as i appreciate your enthusiasm ... I think we have all kind of put ourselves out there, enough.

you win some, you lose some. I'm sure we will be hearing something though. Might not be today, might not be tomorrow, but the day after that......;)
  • PissBottleManPissBottleMan Posts: 4,154
    yield2me wrote:

*See YIELD Postcard campaign 2006. :(

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • FlaggFlagg Posts: 5,856

PBM

Great analogy!

Play the South sometime in '08.
    DAL-7/5/98,10/17/00,6/9/03,11/15/13
    BOS-9/28/04,9/29/04,6/28/08,6/30/08, 9/5/16, 9/7/16, 9/2/18
    MTL-9/15/05, OTT-9/16/05
    PHL-5/27/06,5/28/06,10/30/09,10/31/09
    CHI-8/2/07,8/5/07,8/23/09,8/24/09
    HTFD-6/27/08
    ATX-10/4/09, 10/12/14
    KC-5/3/2010,STL-5/4/2010
    Bridge School-10/23/2010,10/24/2010
    PJ20-9/3/2011,9/4/2011
    OKC-11/16/13
    SEA-12/6/13
    TUL-10/8/14
    This thread still has my FULL support. As long as the message is PLAY THE SOUTH. And that is not going to happen in 2007.I feel That the thread has turned more negative then anything in the past week or so.They will play the south.Just don't know when right now.Maybe in 2008 ? ,Maybe when they have a new album? I respect the fact that they want to be with their families.If that is what will keep them together as a band. So be it.They are adults.I trust my source with all my heart.I all I want to do now is talk about PJ,Friends and positivity.
    Ft. Lauderdale 96'
    Tampa 00'
    West Palm Beach 03'
    House of Blues 03'
    Tampa 03'
    Kissimmee 04'
    West Palm Beach 08'
    Tampa 08'
    stoneg wrote:
    This thread still has my FULL support. As long as the message is PLAY THE SOUTH. And that is not going to happen in 2007.I feel That the thread has turned more negative then anything in the past week or so.They will play the south.Just don't know when right now.Maybe in 2008 ? ,Maybe when they have a new album? I respect the fact that they want to be with their families.If that is what will keep them together as a band. So be it.They are adults.I trust my source with all my heart.I all I want to do now is talk about PJ,Friends and positivity.

but ...... i didnt even get to call anybody a bitch yet:(

why do you take all my fun away! :D:D
    as much as i appreciate your enthusiasm ... I think we have all kind of put ourselves out there, enough.

you win some, you lose some. I'm sure we will be hearing something though. Might not be today, might not be tomorrow, but the day after that......;)

I feel guilty answering you because then the thread does not actally die...

Hmmm.... I find it hard to give up. I'm still at "5 across the lips" phase.

You are right, been-there-done-that as far as letter writing...

maybe we could ask the mods to unplug us?

I'm not a religious person, should we have a final word?

Word.

shit

SPALMA wrote:
    I feel guilty answering you because then the thread does not actally die...

Hmmm.... I find it hard to give up. I'm still at "5 across the lips" phase.

You are right, been-there-done-that as far as letter writing...

maybe we could ask the mods to unplug us?

I'm not a religious person, should we have a final word?

Word.

shit

We arent giving up :) We gave it a hell of a run... and we can still do that... but it seems like everyones a little "tired" and unhappy... (understandably so)

ill still give them beesnatches from pearl jam five across the lips when i see them, dont you worry;) I just figured , maybe.... with all the negative ness ect ect.... we might get shut down... and that would hurt. I dunno, you guys arent making this easy :D

because it is fun talking on here.
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Someone should post the list showing all of our post totals to this thread, and then gardenlover should post that the little birdie has flown back north. I'll play Sleater-Kinney's song "End It on This." Then we move on.....

My feelings towards the organization are still very negative. Their lack of honesty and communication are contrary to their musical message and what they spew in interviews. Until that changes, they are just another corporate rock band to me. stoneg, you are welcome to pass that on to Ms. Burns.

Thank you everyone for everything. :mad:
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
    tybird wrote:
    Someone should post the list showing all of our post totals to this thread, and then gardenlover should post that the little birdie has flown back north. I'll play Sleater-Kinney's song "End It on This." Then we move on.....

My feelings towards the organization are still very negative. Their lack of honesty and communication are contrary to their musical message and what they spew in interviews. Until that changes, they are just another corporate rock band to me. stoneg, you are welcome to pass that on to Ms. Burns.

tybird! Come on buddy. Why dont you come see me over the summer? We will have a good time, pj or not. Please dont be so upset :)
    stoneg wrote:

all relationships have their ups and downs... usually comes with recognition and recently we have all recognized that our efforts have been fruitless. Just a down time.

I am mad at the business decision makers of the band (be it band members or employees) - I think they did a poor job. I am certainly not mad at band members for prioritizing their lives - we are nothing to them (personally) and I understand that.

I think Ty's bolting from the scene shook us up a bit.

I'm not down on JR - I don't think he is in control of any decisions and just reporting any info as he got it... I pretty much viewed JR's and Liz's disclosures equally, timed perfectly as corroborating.(oh, perhaps a couple of days apart... but close enough). Perhaps I never believed his "promising" info as fact - until we had verification (which never came) and therefore did not blame him.

tybird wrote:

bummer.

Be positive all you want, but the fact is we got jammed. Southeast represents 25% of US population. They played like 80 shows last year and nothing here.

Now shows abroad in '07 with no mention of shows here.

I guess my thing is that love is a two way street....and they're not showing us any!

And all you tree planters seem to have forgotten that the tour was announced in stages, leaving most of us down here with the impression that we'd get one EVENTUALLY. No need to pay for airfare, hotel, time off, etc. Major disappointment.

I'm glad you all made friends and did some things, but that's not the issue here is it?
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    "She's not only merely dead, she's really most sincerely dead"
    Coroner of Munchkinland
    prytoj wrote:
    Be positive all you want, but the fact is we got jammed. Southeast represents 25% of US population. They played like 80 shows last year and nothing here.

Now shows abroad in '07 with no mention of shows here.

I guess my thing is that love is a two way street....and they're not showing us any!

And all you tree planters seem to have forgotten that the tour was announced in stages, leaving most of us down here with the impression that we'd get one EVENTUALLY. No need to pay for airfare, hotel, time off, etc. Major disappointment.

I'm glad you all made friends and did some things, but that's not the issue here is it?
    dude who are you? You have like 21 posts. I don't remember you being here from the beginning of this thing.Don't add your 2 cents when the store already closed.
    Ft. Lauderdale 96'
    Tampa 00'
    West Palm Beach 03'
    House of Blues 03'
    Tampa 03'
    Kissimmee 04'
    West Palm Beach 08'
    Tampa 08'
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Last Sunday morning, the sunshine felt like rain.
    Week before, they all seemed the same.
    With the help of God and true friends, I come to realize
    I still had two strong legs, and even wings to fly.

And oh I, ain't wastin time no more
    'Cause time goes by like hurricanes, and faster things.

Lord, lord Miss Sally, why all your cryin'?
    Been around here three long days, you're lookin' like you're dyin'.
    Just step yourself outside, and look up at the stars above
    Go on downtown baby, find somebody to love.

Meanwhile I ain't wastin' time no more
    'Cause time goes by like pouring rain, and much faster things.

You don't need no gypsy to tell you why
    You can't let one precious day slip by.
    Look inside yourself, and if you don't see what you want,
    Maybe sometimes then you don't,
    But leave your mind alone and just get high.

Well by and by, way after many years have gone,
    And all the war freaks die off, leavin' us alone.
    We'll raise our children in the peaceful way we can,
    It's up to you and me brother
    To try and try again.

Well, hear us now, we ain't wastin' time no more
    'Cause time goes by like hurricanes
    Runnin' after subway trains
    Don't forget the pouring rain.
    stoneg wrote:
    dude who are you? You have like 21 posts. I don't remember you being here from the beginning of this thing.Don't add your 2 cents when the store already closed.

long timer, bro. Don't even sweat it.
    prytoj wrote:
    long timer, bro. Don't even sweat it.
    Me Too, BRO!
    Ft. Lauderdale 96'
    Tampa 00'
    West Palm Beach 03'
    House of Blues 03'
    Tampa 03'
    Kissimmee 04'
    West Palm Beach 08'