Matt is second best drummer.

Comments

• KamiKami Posts: 100
    i'm really NOT that knowledgeable when it comes to drummers, but i've always thought that josh freese, keith moon and travis barker were amaaaazing.

also brooks wackerman of bad religion.
    2006 Washington D.C.
    2008 Washington D.C.
    2010 Cleveland
    2012 Philadelphia
    2013 Brooklyn 1, Baltimore
    2016 NYC 1
    2021 Ohana Encore 1
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    yosi wrote:
    But I think improvisation is important. And its known, that he doesn't improvise. To say you've seen him do it makes me think, maybe you don't "get" Rush.

Rush is my other favorite band, I've seen them 15 times, I ran a Rush website for years, have tons of bootlegs, lots of memorabilia and have been a fan since I was like 14. I am pretty sure I get Rush.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Solat13Solat13 Posts: 6,996
    bigshasha wrote:
    matt is second only to jack

I agree. It was so great seeing Jack play live for the first time on Sunday.
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • BinFrog wrote:
    Rush is my other favorite band, I've seen them 15 times, I ran a Rush website for years, have tons of bootlegs, lots of memorabilia and have been a fan since I was like 14. I am pretty sure I get Rush.
    Gotta love that memrobilia, it just speaks knowledge all over it. I wish I had more pj stuff than maybee I would understand matts drumming skills.

hahaha
    I had too , and you mention measage boards, christ I swear this place makes me less knowledgeable on pearl jam, after a few months on here I start thinking about some of the crazy shit that is on here, and confuse it with actual data I read elsewhere.

peace.
    I can see both of you know what you like and its obvious you know what your talking about but mike portnoy is better, and yos improvising doesn nothing for me, this is why i like matt and neil better, they stick to their beats pretty much the same way, except in jams, and dont give me the he cant theroy, becasue sometimes in the structure of a rock song, it is good to have consistancy, and ruSH was consistant, and they were more rock than progressive.
    And jazz is cool but not in pearl jam, funk either, i mean its cool in spots, but sometimes music doesnot need another fuse in it, like you saud riot act is your favorite, over all that is their simplist album, not a whole lot of fusing togehter of differant sounds or chords.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    I can see both of you know what you like and its obvious you know what your talking about but mike portnoy is better, and yos improvising doesn nothing for me, this is why i like matt and neil better, they stick to their beats pretty much the same way, except in jams, and dont give me the he cant theroy, becasue sometimes in the structure of a rock song, it is good to have consistancy, and ruSH was consistant, and they were more rock than progressive.

Matt improvises all the time.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • yosi wrote:
    Matt improvises all the time.

well try this comon

everyone says dave a was better becasue he inprovised more, and he did, matt sticks to the beats of the songs more than dave did, and neil peart does more than lets say a carter bufrord.
    with matt you can always count on a cetain beat to come, with dave they would get lost, and he would hit what was closest
    now this is over the course of a song
    i have a hard time listening to dave live
    matt is so much predidctable, and when pj is busting out a chorus, or a breakdown matts drumming stays consistant commparred to dave.

no more shows
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Gotta love that memrobilia, it just speaks knowledge all over it. I wish I had more pj stuff than maybee I would understand matts drumming skills.

I deserve that ;)

Another rock drummer that deserves praise: Tim Alexander from Primus/etc.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • EvilMerlinEvilMerlin Posts: 1,865
    You're all crazy! As I said in the other music section:

It's Blake Richardson and Gil Sharone! Duhhhh
    Well either way, this guy is my favorite.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lOW8A-MxE50&feature=related
  • BinFrog wrote:
    I deserve that ;)

Another rock drummer that deserves praise: Tim Alexander from Primus/etc.

soup for you

primus are great musicians from start to finish.

no more shows
  • yosi wrote:
    Well either way, this guy is my favorite.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lOW8A-MxE50&feature=related
    how dare you skip over my post

no soup for you

no more shows
    how dare you skip over my post

no soup for you

:D

I'm tired and kind of just wanted to move away from arguing :p Matt may be more consistent than Dave A, but he definitely improvises on a nightly basis.
  • hoopinmanhoopinman Posts: 294
    improvisation DOES NOT make a drummer...and if thats your basis on what makes them good.....someone needs to quick smoking dope and go listen to some FRANK ZAPPA!

Zappa's music was all charted out....theres no improvisation except in FRANK'S SOLOS!!!!!

why you guys are even arguing this makes me laugh....Like I said earlier.....its a relative answer....everyone is gonna have a different say so..I think Neil Peart pales in comparison to Buddy Rich,Billy Cobham,Lenny White, Elvin Jones, Tony Williams, Gene Krupa and Max Roach.(and those are just the jazz guys)

Even compared to Clyde Stubblefield from the JBs in the 70s or Zigaboo Modeliste from the Meters Peart looks like a fool. But Im sure someeon will argue that too.....even though Stubblefield and Zigaboo play funk,cause I have never heard Neil Peart play "Funkky Drummer" or "Cissy Strut"
    hoopinman wrote:
    improvisation DOES NOT make a drummer...and if thats your basis on what makes them good.....someone needs to quick smoking dope and go listen to some FRANK ZAPPA!

Obviously it doesn't affect their studio work, and a drummer can be great without improvisation. I just think that good improvisation can take the drummer to the next level.
    hoopinman wrote:

Buddy Rich,Billy Cobham,Lenny White, Elvin Jones, Tony Williams, Gene Krupa and Max Roach.(and those are just the jazz guys)

Rich, Cobham, Williams and Krupa are all badass.
  • hoopinmanhoopinman Posts: 294
    and need I remind anyone of Pearl Jam's drummer Matt Chamberlain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tiNDgk-zAs
  • ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    Matt's got class. I love how he brings odd timing and a jazz influenced style to PJ.

Exactly. I have no idea if he's the best drummer, or how to even determine that. I think a lot of Matt's greatness is lost on a lot of people because what he does so brilliantly is subtle. I know that he is certainly one of the most versatile in rock-- I can listen to anything from the Beatles to Metallica and think to myself "Jesus, Matt Cameron would rip this song a new asshole."
  • cc10106cc10106 Posts: 385
    Matt constantly achieved greatness in the studio while drumming with Soundgarden. their music lent itself to more skilled and diverse drumming patterns/meter so he could show off his skills much more then. IMO, PJ's music is less complex overall so Matt's had to prove himself in other ways. in particular, he's shined in the songwriting and vocals department. i think he's really added another dimension to PJ's live show in that regard. he fits the band nicely, but make no mistake, his peak was with Soundgarden.
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    cc10106 wrote:
    Matt constantly achieved greatness in the studio while drumming with Soundgarden. their music lent itself to more skilled and diverse drumming patterns/meter so he could show off his skills much more then. IMO, PJ's music is less complex overall so Matt's had to prove himself in other ways. in particular, he's shined in the songwriting and vocals department. i think he's really added another dimension to PJ's live show in that regard. he fits the band nicely, but make no mistake, his peak was with Soundgarden.

I agree with this. Although i thought he started flexing his drumming a little more with pj's latest album, but nothing like he was able to do in soundgarden.

That said i've always thought that some of the best drummers tend to gravitate toward jazz or metal.

A couple metal guys i love who i think blow away most are Flo (cryptopsy) and Brann (mastodon)

I'm not going to say they are the best but they tend to impress me a lot.

i do like danny carey a lot too. When tool was in town danny and brann did dueling drum solo's on stage together which was really cool during the middle section of Lateralius.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Dave Garibaldi's the greatest drummer, close thread.
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKm9YVlOXD0

Hate the music, love the music, who cares. Carter Beauford is incredible.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • TowsertunesTowsertunes Posts: 187
    hoopinman wrote:

OR HOW ABOUT KEITH MOON????

you got that right Hoop.
    "they don't give a shit Keith Moon is dead,
    is that exactly what I thought I read?"

How I choose to feel,...Is how I am.
  • yosi wrote:
    :D

I'm tired and kind of just wanted to move away from arguing :p Matt may be more consistent than Dave A, but he definitely improvises on a nightly basis.

any musicin would, but with dave thats all he had some nightes, but hey it worked out well enough, but i love structure.

no more shows
  • hoopinman wrote:

Zappa's music was all charted out....theres no improvisation except in FRANK'S SOLOS!!!!!

why you guys are even arguing this makes me laugh....Like I said earlier.....its a relative answer....everyone is gonna have a different say so..I think Neil Peart pales in comparison to Buddy Rich,Billy Cobham,Lenny White, Elvin Jones, Tony Williams, Gene Krupa and Max Roach.(and those are just the jazz guys)

Even compared to Clyde Stubblefield from the JBs in the 70s or Zigaboo Modeliste from the Meters Peart looks like a fool. But Im sure someeon will argue that too.....even though Stubblefield and Zigaboo play funk,cause I have never heard Neil Peart play "Funkky Drummer" or "Cissy Strut"

I just love when people have to go to such high levels to prove fucking points.

Obviously joe drunmskin in the 20's, and buddy vederland, in the fucking 1800's was just amazing.

We are talking about rock drummers, and what neil peart and mat cam do in their bands is very good, and for neil original.
    Remeber rush started off as a simple rock band, and neil revolutionized the rock drummer, into progressive standards.
    matt did the same thing with grunge, he did a lot of consistant structured drumming in a very grovvy lose jam band sound, for all 3 of his bands, he clearley took the music to another level.

Take all the zappa drummers, the portnoys, and all these crazy ass drummers, sure they are better, but sometimes they are all dressed up with nowhere to go.they just take every song over, that is not rock.

matt and neil, slip into very basic rock bands and elevate their overall sound without dressing their style up or taking the music over.
    Its rock and roll when it comes down to it, very likeable music.
    Sometimes these threads just get to fucking crazy to fast.

no more shows
  • whulmefwhulmef Posts: 176
    suns rival wrote:
    the best drummer of all time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWoW5JB2PTg

I have to bump this. Funnier than anything. My mouth cramped up laughing at this shit.
  • superdeluxesuperdeluxe Posts: 119
    Jimmy Chamberlin
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    Spinbrett wrote:
    Matt can bring it for sure but the best is by far Danny Carey from TOOL. I know youre biased for Matt cause of PJ and all but if you listen and check out some stuff from the internet, you'll see that Danny is the best around. When Danny plays, you KNOW it.

agreed.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
  • NevermindNevermind Posts: 1,006
    Spinbrett wrote:
    Matt can bring it for sure but the best is by far Danny Carey from TOOL. I know youre biased for Matt cause of PJ and all but if you listen and check out some stuff from the internet, you'll see that Danny is the best around. When Danny plays, you KNOW it.
    Holy shit... I agree with you.
  • I'd like to mention Sean Kinney too. No one ever talks about him. :(