R.E.M. or U2?

Comments

• rem hands down for me

i've just been discovering their early 80s work over the past few months and it has been a completely amazing experience

'fables of the reconstruction' and 'lifes rich pageant' are absolutely stunning. and of course 'automatic for the people' speaks for itself. they have made some truly awesome albums over the years and had a level of consistency throughout the 80s and 90s that was pretty much unparalleled.

i respect U2. i don't like much of their newer stuff though. and for my personal tastes, rem ranks as one of my absolute favorite bands. and also....i agree with the person who said that 'reveal' is underrated. it's a pretty solid album
  • ||Release_Me||||Release_Me|| Posts: 1,871
    This is easy...REM are so much better in my opinion. I think i like 1 U2 song, but that's it.

I only discovered REM last year, went to see them in Manchester and i was completely blown away. Michael Stipe is such a great frontman, and he sounded great

I'm actually a bigger fan of the newer stuff. New Adventures in Hi-Fi is a masterpiece, and Around the Sun isn't terrible like many people claim it to be. There's some beautiful songs on there.
    "This town deserves a better class of criminal... and I'm gonna give it to them."

• ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    R.E.M. by an absolute landslide!!!! I really hate U2 the most boring band in history.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    2 years ago I would have said U2 but the last album was a waste of time and after seeing both bands within a few months I have to give to R.E.M. for never getting boring, Actung baby might just be better then new Adventures but it's probably not so U2 losses on all fronts.
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • PJ PookPJ Pook Posts: 109
    I was suprised to see how many people actually said REM over U2. REM is so underrated! I would definitely say REM over U2 any day.
  • R.E.M.

Document and AFTP preferably... though i'll take any of it over U2 (not that i hate everything U2 has put out...)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    R.e.m!!!!!!!
  • chris05chris05 Posts: 347
    R.E.M all the way.
    Who cares if the world is going down the toilet? Eddie Vedder got his mojo back!
  • iwasthereiwasthere Posts: 511
    putting in my vote for R.E.M.
    tacos
  • U2 is no longer relevant in rock music, REM is always expanding their musical horizons...

REM by a universe, and HiFi is a CLASSIC
    Julio's Top 5

1. Sad
    2. In My Tree
    3. Red Mosquito
    4. Do The Evolution
    5. I Got Shit

www.myspace.com/messmergrad00
  • capybaraletcapybaralet Posts: 145
    REM. I don't care much for U2's music, although I don't see why Bono's a prick...

I think he is doing the world a hgell of a lot of good (although if I were him, I wouldn't be spending money on fancy glasses, &c.)
    everything=3

2-1-0

4-3-2-1-0
    2---2--3---3--2----1

2-2-2-3-3-3-2-2-0

M
  • Pearls&StonesPearls&Stones Posts: 585
    U2 is no longer relevant in rock music, REM is always expanding their musical horizons...

REM by a universe, and HiFi is a CLASSIC

In what way exactly is U2 no longer relevant? Hell, they are still a big influence on REM. Michael Stipe has said so. There goes your argument right there.

As for me, I love so much of REM's music. I just love every song on "Document," "Green," "Out of Time," "Automatic for the People," and "Reveal" Plus, "New Adventures" and "Around the Sun" each have a few good songs as well as the early stuff. But, "Monster," and "Up" are giant stink bombs! I still own "Up" because I love At My Most Beautiful and Parakeet. But every other song on it royally sucks.

As much as I love REM overall, this one is no contest for me. U2 simply wrote modern book on rock n' roll. "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" is one of the flat out greatest records I have ever heard, rivaled only by a few other U2 records (..and a few PJ as well)

I can't even see this as a contest
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • Pearls&StonesPearls&Stones Posts: 585
    i have to chime in again.

REM is always expanding their horizons? The REM "expanding" equation looks like this....

Bittersweet Me = Daysleeper = Leaving New York = Bad Day = The Great Beyond

Again, I do like REM. But I'm constantly getting the bulk of the singles they've done in the last 10 years confused. Because THEY ALL SOUND THE SAME. I can't tell you how many times I'll be signing the body of one of them with the chorus of another. They are practically interchangable
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • JOHNNY VS.JOHNNY VS. Posts: 39
    If you give this cd four or five spins in the right frame of mind, it's a lovely and very melodic album. I've loved REM since 84. Loved U2 since 80. love 'em both on equal footing. Much to digest in their rich catalogues. Incidentally I put PJ in the same league of World Class Classic Inspiring and Motivating Reason-To-Live bands.
  • REM for sure, constantly listening to many rem albums as oppossed to u2 which I only like listening to Rattle and Hum.

I am very surprised by the overwhelming choice of rem over u2.
    "I'll be hanging upside down, and there I will swing, for all e.........tern.............ni..............ty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Up until "zooropa" (excuse the poor attempt at spelling) I would have said U2. Although until around that time I also loved REM. But since I havn't heard much of anything from REM lately and I'm not particularily fond of the new U2 I'll say a tie!
    Want to be enlightened, like I want to be told the end.
  • U2!!!!!!!! all the way
    "I Will Scream my Lungs out 'til it fills this Room "

" I Will Feel Alive as Long as I am Free"

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

www.myspace.com/ehoff12982
  • gvn2fly12gvn2fly12 Posts: 787
    U2 for me never relly got into REM so...
    Arms wide open with the sea as my floor.
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    REM for me. Never really got into U2. Liked some of their songs and appreciate what Bono does, but their music doesn't move me like REM's does. I've never seen them live though, so that could make a difference. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • PeryPery Posts: 1,740
    U2 first...
    Buenos Aires 25 - 11 - 2005
    Buenos Aires 26 - 11 - 2005

********Proud 2 b Jammer!*******
  • REM hands down by a looooong shot im talkin here to neptune..i fucking hate u2
    6-23-06...Pittsburgh,PA

www.myspace.com/hattricks412
  • fuckfuck Posts: 4,069
    U2 murders REM.

Any day.
  • prljam85prljam85 Posts: 227
    Rem
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,127
    R.E.M. by a landslide.

I can't stand U2.

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=11worst
  • Edge34Edge34 Posts: 233
    Is neither an option???
  • rhinomagicrhinomagic Posts: 2,549
    Well, they've both made unique contributions to rock music and to making the world a better place.

But, muscially, I think REM has made much more INTERESTING music than U2. I get the feeling that U2 invests in crazy lights, video, and stage antics because they feel their music needs something else to help sell it.

REM has hardly resorted to such tricks and even managed to carry on well after the departure of a founding member.

Memphis 1994
    New Orleans 1995
    Fort Lauderdale 1996
    Atlanta & Birmingham 1998
    New Orleans 2000
    Tampa 2003
    Kissimmee 2004
    New York City (x 2) 2008
    East Troy (x 2) 2011
    Chicago & New Orleans 2013
    Hampton, Raleigh, Boston 2016
    Baltimore 2020
    Louisville 2022
    Philadelphia & Baltimore 2024
  • CServantCServant Posts: 1,182
    U2 in a BIG way for me! Now if the thread was DMB or U2, I'd have to think more about it... But U2 in a landslide over R.E.M.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." Mark Twain
  • REM. I don't care much for U2's music, although I don't see why Bono's a prick...

I think he is doing the world a hgell of a lot of good (although if I were him, I wouldn't be spending money on fancy glasses, &c.)
    and he saved Bob Dylan (along with the travelling wilburries).

bono isn't a prick, he just comes off as a little pretentious.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • OfTheGirlOfTheGirl Posts: 47
    i like both but REM definitely if i had to choose one over the other. REM was my first "favorite band".
    ~*~*~*~*~Official Kiwi Jammer No 4 (Honorary)~*~*~*~*~
  • quasiquasi Posts: 492
    During the late 80's, I had REM and U2 neck and neck...I bought everything by both bands. Then, in the mid-nineties, REM started to bore me. Stopped buying albums after "UP". I saw them on the 1999 "Up" tour and wanted to leave early. On the other hand, U2's Elevation Tour totally amped me up and I started to sway towards U2. True, their newer albums aren't nearly as rich as their earlier albums (Boy and October are still my favorites), but I it's their live show that keeps me interested. I hardly ever listen to studio albums anymore. REM is a snorefest live these days and it's kind of sad for me to see how they've sort of withered away. I think Bill Berry had the right idea when he quit in 1995 as that was when they were last relevant to me. I will say that "Murmur" is one of the best albums of all time.
    SEA 9/20/92, SEA 12/7/93, SEA 12/31/94 (MS), SEA 11/5/00, SEA 11/6/00, SEA 12/8/02, SEA 12/9/02, BEN 10/22/03, GOR 9/1/05, SD 7/7/06, LA 7/10/06, LA 7/12/06, LA (EV) 4/12/08, LA (EV) 4/13/08, LA 7/12/08, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/7/09, SEA 12/6/13, SEA 8/8/18