Blind Melon is back with a new singer

13»

Comments

• InkdaubInkdaub Posts: 235
    Just playing Devil's advocate here:

Why would Shannon be upset at them using the name? Shannon's drug-use and subsequent drug-related death cut short the work the rest of the guys put into the band.

They were successful and should be able to continue on with what they worked hard for all those years.

Do you see where I'm coming from?

PBM

Hoon is my favorite singer but this is my take on it as well. His drug overdose killed him but it also destroyed the band for the rest of the guys. Blind Melon isn't just Shannon Hoon. Will it be different? Of course it will but that's not a bad thing. I for one mourned Shannon and continue to do so but always hoped the band would continue.
  • fi4201fi4201 Posts: 16
    Im sick of everyone jumping on the bandwagon and saying that this guy is good enought to front Blind Melon. Shannon Hoon is an act that CANT be followed. Why bother? Say Pearl Jam reunited w/o Ed. The should try to capitalize on their fame in a classier way, end of story.
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    fi4201 wrote:
    Im sick of everyone jumping on the bandwagon and saying that this guy is good enought to front Blind Melon. Shannon Hoon is an act that CANT be followed. Why bother? Say Pearl Jam reunited w/o Ed. The should try to capitalize on their fame in a classier way, end of story.

yeah the guy is decent.. but I agree nowhere even remotely close to Shannon
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    fi4201 wrote:

what bandwagon? last i heard, most people are opposed to this. they certainly aren't popular.

is the guy shannon hoon? of course not. is he good? yeah, he sounds pretty good to me. as good as shannon? no, probably not. but the songs are still good to me and it sounds like the blind melon i remember, albeit with slightly lesser lyrics and vocaals. but the grooves are still there and i love that. i always preferred their vibe, it's what drew me to them. shannon was just icing on the cake. so im cool with this.
  • what bandwagon? last i heard, most people are opposed to this. they certainly aren't popular.

is the guy shannon hoon? of course not. is he good? yeah, he sounds pretty good to me. as good as shannon? no, probably not. but the songs are still good to me and it sounds like the blind melon i remember, albeit with slightly lesser lyrics and vocaals. but the grooves are still there and i love that. i always preferred their vibe, it's what drew me to them. shannon was just icing on the cake. so im cool with this.

I meant to reply earlier, but I share the same sentiments. Travis will not replace Shannon in spirit, in talent and in respect.

So far, the band hasn't exploited the name...they've been very respectful to Shannon's legacy. I see nothing but good coming from this whole situation.

There is a distinct sound to Blind Melon and, like soulsinging, I'm glad to hear it again.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • I meant to reply earlier, but I share the same sentiments. Travis will not replace Shannon in spirit, in talent and in respect.

So far, the band hasn't exploited the name...they've been very respectful to Shannon's legacy. I see nothing but good coming from this whole situation.

There is a distinct sound to Blind Melon and, like soulsinging, I'm glad to hear it again.

PBM

Well said. I really enjoy the new songs, quite obviously noone will ever truly replace Shannon but I am glad that the guys are having fun and making music together again.
    Lying sideways atop crumpled sheets and no covers he decides to dream. Dream up a new self. For himself.

Montreal 2000
    Toronto 2003
    Montreal 2003
    Halifax 2005
    Hartford 2006
    I am happy that they are making music again too. But why call the band Blind Melon? Travis is going to be compared to Shannon, and hes not gonna hold up. Ive listened to the new songs, and while I think they sound good, everything I hear I compare to Shannon. Travis says a few things in the new songs that I cant help but feel sound like something Shannon said in his songs. So in my eyes hes just gonna look like an imposter. And if he has such a huge respect for Shannon then dont get on stage pretending to be him.
  • fi4201 wrote:
    I am happy that they are making music again too. But why call the band Blind Melon?

There's another thread where we've talked about this quite a bit too. I think the main reason they are calling themselves Blind Melon is because it's a brand name that people know. It's obvious that the guys like playing together...they're carrying on with the sound and the spirit that is Blind Melon.
    fi4201 wrote:
    Travis is going to be compared to Shannon, and hes not gonna hold up.

I'm sure Brian Johnson was compared to Bon Scott...as Sammy was compare to Diamond Dave...there will always be debate and arguements.

Back in Black is a classic.

Right Now was huge hit.

They're not trying to replace Shannon's spirit or his legacy...they're simply moving on...evolving.

I can't begrudge them for that.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Maybe their not trying to do it, but they are by their actions. Oh and AC/DC and Van Halen suck, Blind Melon doesnt, at least they didnt with Shannon, this new guy might fuck that up. And if he does do a great job and eveyone loves him, it sucks because nobody will give Shannon the credit he deserves.
  • Let me try to understand something...would you be ok with the remaining four performing under a new name with Travis?

The music would be the same...just a different name.

Would you like them more?

As I've mentioned to mouthfulofsoup in our debates (;))...if this reformation brings more people to the music of Blind Melon...how is that a bad thing?

PBM

• keitherMAN wrote:
    for me they never left...actually, they're still right at the top of my playlist...now we just need a Soundgarden and STP reunion somewhere down the road so we can see those guys rock out one more time together...it's great to see and hear great musicians make great music together again!!!
    Soundgarden reunion?! :eek:
    It's not nice to tease me!!! :p
    What a year this would be if they pulled that card though.
    Because in my eyes Blind Melon was Rogers, Chris, Glenn, Brad and Shannon. If they want to bring more people to the music of Blind Melon then they should say the former members of Blind Melon, then maybe if the like what they hear with Travis they will check out the work they did with Shannon and Blind Melon.
  • fi4201 wrote:
    If they want to bring more people to the music of Blind Melon then they should say the former members of Blind Melon

I think they tried that with Unified Theory...most of the promotion surrounding their debut featured the phrase, "Featuring former members of Blind Melon & Pearl Jam". That project didn't seem to garner any interest.

If the guys are happy playing their songs, then I'm happy for them.

The best way to show your displeasure is to not purchase the music or pay to see a show.

PBM

fi4201 wrote:
    Because in my eyes Blind Melon was Rogers, Chris, Glenn, Brad and Shannon. If they want to bring more people to the music of Blind Melon then they should say the former members of Blind Melon, then maybe if the like what they hear with Travis they will check out the work they did with Shannon and Blind Melon.

they've done that. most people didnt know or didnt care. to me, how is that any different? even if you name the band something else and slap the blind melon name all over it, you're still taking advantage of that legacy. honestly, it seems even more pathetic and desperate to me. "we used to be in a band oyu like, we swear! please listen to us!" id prefer they just use the name. bands lose members all the time and keep going. it's no big deal.
  • GillGill Posts: 56
    I'd have to agree. It wasn't a group decision to lose Shannon, it was an accident. Therefore, why should the rest of the band have to split just because they dont have a vocalist.

To be honest, i was incredibly shocked when i heard the news that they had replaced Shannon, but i am currently addicted to 'Harmful Belly', and its been on repeat since i first heard it. Travis does sound like he's trying to impersonate Shannon a bit in 'For my friends', but all in all it sounds ok.

Ok, so no one will replace shannon for hard core blind melon fans, but the rest of the band's still there. And just look at PJ - they've had so many different drummers since 1990, but they're still PJ (ok, so not a lead vocalist, but still a member of an incredibly popular band).
    Since Shannons not here why tempt fate and make descions for him, why not just move on?
  • fi4201 wrote:
    Since Shannons not here why tempt fate and make descions for him, why not just move on?

I'm just continuing the debate:

Why is it ok for Shannon to let drugs overtake his life, thereby ending his life? The remaining four had no choice over the band ending...Shannon made that choice for them.

They are moving on...in a positive way. They're not exploiting the name or the music.

PBM

fi4201 wrote:

becos it was not shannon's band. it was chris and roger's. they heard him sing/audition and they asked him to join. then he kinda fucked them over by killing himself. i think it was a sign of the huge respect they have for him that they waited 10 years before deciding it was appropriate to record as blind melon again. but it is still their band, it is still the original lineup, minus the guy they hired to sing. he left. they replaced him. there is no disrespect here. if there is, it was shannon being disrespectful to his bandmates. i cant imagine that wherever shannon is now he's pissed off at them for this. he's way too cool for that.
    becos it was not shannon's band. it was chris and roger's. they heard him sing/audition and they asked him to join. then he kinda fucked them over by killing himself. i think it was a sign of the huge respect they have for him that they waited 10 years before deciding it was appropriate to record as blind melon again. but it is still their band, it is still the original lineup, minus the guy they hired to sing. he left. they replaced him. there is no disrespect here. if there is, it was shannon being disrespectful to his bandmates. i cant imagine that wherever shannon is now he's pissed off at them for this. he's way too cool for that.

whatever the case.. Shannon added something to that band that they will NEVER replace.. you make him sound like some session musician that they "hired".. they heard him sing and were blown away.. he was the their favorite singer. I don't mind that they are using the blind melon name and I think its cool they are touring because I sure would see it live but I think it would have been disrespectful if they replaced him right away.. I'm glad they waited... not like they couldn't have found a singer like the one they have now back then.. he can sing but there's nothing that stands out about him.
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
    bharQ wrote:
    whatever the case.. Shannon added something to that band that they will NEVER replace.. you make him sound like some session musician that they "hired".. they heard him sing and were blown away.. he was the their favorite singer. I don't mind that they are using the blind melon name and I think its cool they are touring because I sure would see it live but I think it would have been disrespectful if they replaced him right away.. I'm glad they waited... not like they couldn't have found a singer like the one they have now back then.. he can sing but there's nothing that stands out about him.

precisely. no one will replace shannon and i dont think anyone would try. but they waited 10 years and i see nothing wrong or disrespectful about this project. im just happy to hear they're making music again, even if it wont ever be quite the same.
  • precisely. no one will replace shannon and i dont think anyone would try. but they waited 10 years and i see nothing wrong or disrespectful about this project. im just happy to hear they're making music again, even if it wont ever be quite the same.

Well...it took 80 responses, but I think we finally came to a common understanding.

PBM

Well...it took 80 responses, but I think we finally came to a common understanding.

PBM

Not half as bad as the "Sublime sucks" thread... lol
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • The Unified Theory thing was only 2 of the 4 guys, so it really wasn't ever supposed to be Blind Melon - they didn't play Melon songs. I was lookng at the blind melon message board and saw this letter from one of the band members who was trying to explain their point of view on the band name and it made sense to me:

"This is for mouthfulofsoup:

I appreciate the fact that you have an opinion about this, and I'm not trying to come down on you for it, I just wanna explain our point of view. You obviously are hung up on us using the name and playing some of the old songs, and I just don't get it. I mean, I know the kinds of people that we are, and how much we care about our history with Shannon, so it just doesn't connect with me when you seem to be so angry about our reunion. We were directly affected by his death, and it was a horrible thing to go through for us....some of us dealt with it better than others. As far as I know, you were only indirectly connected to us and to Shannon, so I think we're a bit more qualified in solving this particular moral quandry. I assure you that it will feel just as weird for us in the beginning to go onstage and play the old songs as it will for a lot of the people in the audience to hear them. Sure, I said we'd never go out as Blind Melon again...but I challenge you to go back through your own life and look at the changes you've undergone, and to try and listen to some of the things that came out of your own mouth when you were younger. It's an impossible standard to be held to.....

Look...we're musicians...this is what musicians do. Neither Frank Sinatra nor Elvis wrote their own songs, and both of them went onstage every night and sang classics by long-dead and sacredly-regarded songwriters. You can go to Lincoln Center here in New York and see the great works of Mozart, Bach, and Beethoven performed and it's a religious experience for many. The musicians onstage revere the music and are honoring the composers by playing them. Natalie Cole made a DUETS record singing along with her long dead father, for Christ's sake! In rock-and-roll, you've got AC/DC who continued on to make their best record after Bon Scott died. I admit myself to being pissed about Sammy Hagar joining Van Halen, but that was because he was...well...Sammy Hagar. Pink Floyd continued on after Sid blew a gasket....Shannon used to sing his songs occassionally onstage, and even he would have to hear the occasional comment about how Sid's music was too sacred to touch. The Rolling Stones kept making the greatest rock records EVER after Brian Jones died. I'd love to see someone tell Keith not to keep going. Again, we're musicians, and this is what musicians do...and Travis will now go out and have the honor of singing Shannon's songs because he honors Shannon in the same way that all the aforementioned people honored the writers of their songs. A song is not a person...it is a creation of that person and after it is created it becomes a thing that other people enjoy and sing. Consider Shannon's songs to be a gift, and allow others to sing and enjoy them. He gave those songs away to everybody...not just you.

We don't expect that everybody who liked our old records are going to dig this new thing as well. That's cool...we've all changed as people so I'd imagine the sound is going to be different from the 4 of us, and with the loss of Shannon and the addition of Travis (who's a fucking cool cat, by the way), it's only going to be exponentially even more different. The support we've gotten from most of you here has just been great, though...really makes us feel good about what we are doing.

SO MOS...if you can't read my words and feel that I am sincere, and that we have our heads and hearts in the right place here, then I don't know what to tell you. I'm pretty much done with trying to explain myself and ourselves after doing it for the last week (I suspect I've heard from you before, no? The internet does provide a nice camoflauge, does it not?). If anybody else has a problem with me or my ancient quotes, I'll be on tour in '07 so it shouldn't be too hard to find me. I challenge you to bring it up to me in person.

Rogers"
  • fpafpa Posts: 18
    Thanks reggie500, I think that should settle a few things around here.
    All i have to say on the subject is, I LOVE LOVE LOVE Blind Melon and Shannon Hoon. Blind Melon is my all time favourite band (Pearl Jam is a close close second).
    I have no problem with the remaining 4 ORIGINAL, FOUNDING, memembers of Blind Melon moving on after 10 years.
    Blind Melon made excellent music. And I will be the first to admit no one could ever replace Shannon's own unique spirit and soul. But like many have stated throughout this thread Shannon was not Blind Melon, he was a memember. He was one memember of a creative team that made Blind Melon.
    If Blind Melon hired a singer to go on tour and release CD's with only old Blind Melon songs, fine. THEN you could say that they are being disrespectful.
    The way I see it is they have spent the last ten years of their lives trying to recreate the magic they found within themselves that produced great albums Blind Melon, Soup, Nico. They tried different projects and never tried calling themselves Blind Melon to make a buck. I think the other projects never really captured the Blind Melon spirit. So if it took ten years and a guy named Travis to awaken the creative qenuises that gave us such good music, why complain? Like PissBottleMan said before, in the end the music will stand for itself. Maybe Travis is the piece of the puzzle the has been missing that will allow for the next great Melon album. It's not like the guys (or the fans) are gunna forget who Shannon was and what he did for music!

And before I slip back into the shadows of this board, I have one more point to make. In a world with Good Charrelotte and Britney Spears and the rest of that musical garbage (if you can even call is musical) Why must we stand here and pick apart a good band that is trying to produce more good music? Shouldn't this be excellent news that a band with talent is working on an album? Shouldnt this be hope that the youth of today MAY be introduced to the likes of good rock music? If Blind Melon have a hit single/album in the following years, dont you think the 13-17 year olds might try to find out who Blind Melon are? They'll discover what Melon was when they were 3!!

Shannon's legacey will live on and I don't think anything can change what he's done and what he's left for us.
    ========================================
    I still can't believe PEARL JAM in Newfoundland

I love you I love you I FUCKING love you
  • do you feel the sam about acdc? they had their biggest and best album after getting a new singer. should it have been issued under a different name that no one would have ever bothered to listen to? none of us would have ever heard 'back in black' or 'you shook me all night long.'

Bon Scott was and always will be the original lead singer for ac/dc. They may have had more commercial success after his death, but in no way can you say the music was better. Except for "For Those About to Rock" nothing they have done can touch the Bon Scott years. Back in Black is not even close. Radio and stripclub overplay does not equal great music.