Blind Melon is back with a new singer

Comments

• this came off of one of the blind Melon message boards:

"Here ya go fellas.. A quote message from Rogers. This was sent to me after I asked him whether or not they were going to use the name "Blind Melon".

"hi matt
    tough question.....
    Whatever we do, it'll be for the right reasons...what feels proper,
    not for what we're hearing from the peanut gallery. I for one was very
    skeptical about all this going out to LA last month, but I'll say
    this... 30 seconds into the first song I knew it was ON. I'd imagine
    Travis was a bit apprehensive himself...he has a deep respect for
    Shannon and the music, so it must've been weird for him. But somehow
    he made it cool, thereby earning my respect as well as everyone
    else's. I could not imagine how it could work, but it did, and now
    here we are. It's not about money or glory or any other trivial
    byproduct of rock-n-roll success. We coulda cashed in a long time ago
    but none of us are into doing a nostalgia trip. Either we make
    something new, while at the same time showing respect to what came
    before, or we go on and do other things with our lives (all of us were
    knee deep into other stuff before this came along). And that's no
    longer an option because we live for this and we want to play
    together. I'm sure that we'll have supporters and that at the same
    time there will be people who will never accept the band without
    Shannon...not much can be done about that. I assure you, however, that
    nobody aside from his blood family misses him more than we
    do..........

I'll leave you with a famous quote to ponder:
    "You can please some of the people some of the time, but you can't
    please all of the people all of the time." -- Abraham Lincoln"

rogers stevens "
  • If they use the name Blind Melon, I will not buy or listen to one fucking song. I know they aren't saying Shannon can be replaced, but using that name is so beyond disrespectful to him it makes me sick. It's great that the guys want to get back together & make music again, they deserve that...but calling themselves Melon, they don't. I hope they come to their senses & choose another name. Blind Melon is, in my opinion, the best band of all time. Unfortunately their time ended way too early, but that can't be changed...& definitely not recreated. When I speak of Blind Melon I want it to be damn clear who I am speaking about,

I hope Shannon won't be rolling in his grave at the Vigil this weekend. :(
    "Oh, a flower you are to my land..."
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    If they use the name Blind Melon, I will not buy or listen to one fucking song. I know they aren't saying Shannon can be replaced, but using that name is so beyond disrespectful to him it makes me sick. It's great that the guys want to get back together & make music again, they deserve that...but calling themselves Melon, they don't. I hope they come to their senses & choose another name. Blind Melon is, in my opinion, the best band of all time. Unfortunately their time ended way too early, but that can't be changed...& definitely not recreated. When I speak of Blind Melon I want it to be damn clear who I am speaking about,

I hope Shannon won't be rolling in his grave at the Vigil this weekend. :(

im pretty sure shannon would be delighted to see them continuing to make music together and wishing them nothing but the best.
  • im pretty sure shannon would be delighted to see them continuing to make music together and wishing them nothing but the best.

While that is probably true, (like I said, it's great if they wanna get together, they deserve it)...I don't however think he'd appreciate them calling themselves "Blind Melon."
  • PJ-SinPJ-Sin Posts: 348
    Wow, these guys were one of my favs. If this new guy is not trying to be like Shanon, I will give it a listen...
  • While that is probably true, (like I said, it's great if they wanna get together, they deserve it)...I don't however think he'd appreciate them calling themselves "Blind Melon."

Just playing Devil's advocate here:

Why would Shannon be upset at them using the name? Shannon's drug-use and subsequent drug-related death cut short the work the rest of the guys put into the band.

They were successful and should be able to continue on with what they worked hard for all those years.

Do you see where I'm coming from?

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • If they use the name Blind Melon, I will not buy or listen to one fucking song.

Ignorance is bliss isn't it?
    "If she don't love me no more, i know her sister will" Jimi Hendrix
    While that is probably true, (like I said, it's great if they wanna get together, they deserve it)...I don't however think he'd appreciate them calling themselves "Blind Melon."

why not? the rest of them are all the same people. they busted their asses to get where they got and contributed just as much to the songwriting as shannon did by all accounts. to say that it is not blind melon without shannon is totally disrespectful to the contributions of the other members to the music in terms of that great funk sound, stellar guitar leads, and so on and so forth. blind melon was NOT shannon hoon and the blind melons. they invited him to join the band, he did not create the band (the way wilco or bright eyes were essentially solo projects with one name). blind melon was a collective from the outset and just becos you worship shannon does not mean the rest of the band aren't entitled to receive credit for what they've done. bands lose members for dozens of reasons all the time and to say that they are not allowed to replace those members and use the same name is ridiculous, unless, as i mentioned, it's a matter of losing the sole writer in the band (eg. jeff tweedy dies... there is no wilco).

to me, the greater travesty in this situation is that shannon disrespected the band and his family by failing to stick around longer. they should not be penalized becos the singer they hired to front the band couldn't sober up and it killed him. the music will speak for itself.
  • While that is probably true, (like I said, it's great if they wanna get together, they deserve it)...I don't however think he'd appreciate them calling themselves "Blind Melon."

I don't want to be mean but who are we to say what they must do?
    and maybe I'm wrong but these guys lived and made music for several years with Shannon Hoon and they loved him probably more than any fan did, so they probably have more respect for him than we will ever have....

and let's wait to see which name they go with before saying anything.
    Im personnaly really happy happy to see these 4 musicians back! can't wait for new music!
  • Just playing Devil's advocate here:

Why would Shannon be upset at them using the name? Shannon's drug-use and subsequent drug-related death cut short the work the rest of the guys put into the band.

They were successful and should be able to continue on with what they worked hard for all those years.

Do you see where I'm coming from?

PBM

Yes, and I agree with you 100%.
    Alpine Valley '92
    Milwaukee 2 '95
    Alpine Valley '00
    Milwaukee 1 '06
  • SoupySoupy Posts: 171
    Good news Loved Blind Melon, liked Unified Theory as well.

As for using the same name, doesn't really bother me. AC/DC did the same thing when Bon Scott died.
  • Good news.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • why not? the rest of them are all the same people. they busted their asses to get where they got and contributed just as much to the songwriting as shannon did by all accounts. to say that it is not blind melon without shannon is totally disrespectful to the contributions of the other members to the music in terms of that great funk sound, stellar guitar leads, and so on and so forth. blind melon was NOT shannon hoon and the blind melons. they invited him to join the band, he did not create the band (the way wilco or bright eyes were essentially solo projects with one name). blind melon was a collective from the outset and just becos you worship shannon does not mean the rest of the band aren't entitled to receive credit for what they've done. bands lose members for dozens of reasons all the time and to say that they are not allowed to replace those members and use the same name is ridiculous, unless, as i mentioned, it's a matter of losing the sole writer in the band (eg. jeff tweedy dies... there is no wilco).

to me, the greater travesty in this situation is that shannon disrespected the band and his family by failing to stick around longer. they should not be penalized becos the singer they hired to front the band couldn't sober up and it killed him. the music will speak for itself.

You are an idiot. I'm sure you'd be saying if Eddie died it would be okay for Pearl Jam to go on with a new singer too. :rolleyes:.

While Shannon may not have been the only song writer, he was the main one, & the charasmatic driving force behind the band. I'm not saying the other guys weren't creative, they were all amazing as a band...together. But BLIND MELON is sadly gone. To try to recreate that with some other singer is totally disrespectful to Shannon. If the 4 guys wanna get together & play music together again, that's great...but they will never be Blind Melon. Get a new fucking name, & write new fucking songs. Hopefully they will come to their senses & do this as they had originally said they would back when he passed.

Btw, here's a quote from Brad:

"We had our drama, but we were really tight knit and you can see that in the fact that we didn't carry on with a new singer. We fought like brothers, but when the family was over, and the brother died...that was it."

I couldn't have said it better myself...I think that the guys are missing what we are all missing, and hopefully will regain their senses when they realize once again that the band is unfortunately gone forever.
  • CollinCollin Posts: 4,931
    It's kind of weird, it won't be the same but this guy sounds good... so I'll wait and see...
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • I think the issue here is that Rogers, Chris, Brad and Glen got a raw deal. Not only did they lose their friend and lead singer, but along with that, they lost everything they worked for.

I supported Unified Theory...I wished it had worked...it didn't.

If the rest of the guys want to regroup and play the music they created, I think after all they've been through, they deserve at least that.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • I think the issue here is that Rogers, Chris, Brad and Glen got a raw deal. Not only did they lose their friend and lead singer, but along with that, they lost everything they worked for.

If the rest of the guys want to regroup and play the music they created, I think after all they've been through, they deserve at least that.

PBM
    Well said, my man. I agree 100% and will support the fellas no matter what they ultimately decide (unless they become an N'Sync cover band, of course). ;D
    You are an idiot. I'm sure you'd be saying if Eddie died it would be okay for Pearl Jam to go on with a new singer too. :rolleyes:.

While Shannon may not have been the only song writer, he was the main one, & the charasmatic driving force behind the band. I'm not saying the other guys weren't creative, they were all amazing as a band...together. But BLIND MELON is sadly gone. To try to recreate that with some other singer is totally disrespectful to Shannon. If the 4 guys wanna get together & play music together again, that's great...but they will never be Blind Melon. Get a new fucking name, & write new fucking songs. Hopefully they will come to their senses & do this as they had originally said they would back when he passed.

Btw, here's a quote from Brad:

"We had our drama, but we were really tight knit and you can see that in the fact that we didn't carry on with a new singer. We fought like brothers, but when the family was over, and the brother died...that was it."

I couldn't have said it better myself...I think that the guys are missing what we are all missing, and hopefully will regain their senses when they realize once again that the band is unfortunately gone forever.

idiot? wow, what are you, 12 years old? grow up fanboy.

yes, if eddie died becos of alcohol poisoning and the rest of the band wanted to continue on making music together with a new singer, id be just fine with them using the name pearl jam. after all, jeff and stone started the band, not ed. i might not be as impressed with the band as i once was, but so it goes. i certainly wouldn't be crying like a child with a skinned knee about it.

i think the people who actually KNEW shannon would have a fat better grasp on what is disrespectful to him than you do. you didnt know shannon did you? then i dont think HE would appreciate some prick that he never knew speaking on his behalf and slagging his old bandmates because a band that said prick had nothing to do with won't do exactly what he thinks is proper.
  • viggs20viggs20 Posts: 1,296
    Whoever posted what Rogers Stevens said on the Blind Melon message board..thanks for that. After reading what he wrote I'm much more comfortable with the idea of a new singer and I hope the guys make great music and find success in what they do.
    "Reality continues to ruin my life." - Calvin & Hobbes.

www.stopglobalaids.com www.indymedia.org www.ecologyfund.com www.thehungersite.com www.amnesty.org www.pratham.org www.icbl.org www.care2.com/click2donate

PBM

I never said there was anything wrong with them making music together. I just think that they should make new music with a new singer & let Blind Melon rest. Unified Theory I didn't support because the guy sounded like a Shannon rip, but I accepted it, as they weren't calling themselves Blind Melon or singing Shannon's songs.
  • I'm a 28 year old woman, thank you. Is "fanboy" supposed to be an insult? I am proud to be a fan and that is why I am so passionate about this subject. I didn't know Shannon personally, but he, unlike any other musician, has touched me through his music like no one else has, or ever will. I was 17 & a huge fan that that God awful day when he left this world. I've been a hardcore fan ever since & I will damn sure voice my opinion on anything to do with the band.

I respect all the guys in the band very much. That doesn't mean I have to agree with what they do. I believe with time they will change their mind on the whole using the name thing anyway, once they really realize what they're doing. I don't have to be a personal friend of Shannon's or the band's to know that calling yourselves Blind Melon without Shannon is disrespectful. Period.

idiot? wow, what are you, 12 years old? grow up fanboy.

yes, if eddie died becos of alcohol poisoning and the rest of the band wanted to continue on making music together with a new singer, id be just fine with them using the name pearl jam. after all, jeff and stone started the band, not ed. i might not be as impressed with the band as i once was, but so it goes. i certainly wouldn't be crying like a child with a skinned knee about it.

i think the people who actually KNEW shannon would have a fat better grasp on what is disrespectful to him than you do. you didnt know shannon did you? then i dont think HE would appreciate some prick that he never knew speaking on his behalf and slagging his old bandmates because a band that said prick had nothing to do with won't do exactly what he thinks is proper.
    I'm a 28 year old woman, thank you. Is "fanboy" supposed to be an insult? I am proud to be a fan and that is why I am so passionate about this subject. I didn't know Shannon personally, but he, unlike any other musician, has touched me through his music like no one else has, or ever will. I was 17 & a huge fan that that God awful day when he left this world. I've been a hardcore fan ever since & I will damn sure voice my opinion on anything to do with the band.

I respect all the guys in the band very much. That doesn't mean I have to agree with what they do. I believe with time they will change their mind on the whole using the name thing anyway, once they really realize what they're doing. I don't have to be a personal friend of Shannon's or the band's to know that calling yourselves Blind Melon without Shannon is disrespectful. Period.

i understand your passion, i just think it is hugely disrespectful to the rest of the band to say that shannon is and was the only contributor of any significance in blind melon. granted, blind melon will never be the same again without shannon, but i dont think that means they can no longer be blind melon. my point was also that you dont KNOW that shannon would find it disrespectful, it just offends you. i dont think you can presume to speak for shannon and if the band feels it is acceptable or appropriate, i am going to take their word for it over yours thank you very much. they knew him, you did not. i think they have a better grasp of what shannon would find offensive and what he would not.

on a sidenote, for years i hated sublime becos when brad nowell died everyone was making such a huge deal of mourning the loss of a genius. shannon's death seemed to go mostly overlooked. it is only in the last few years they seem to have gotten the respect they deserved.
  • i understand your passion, i just think it is hugely disrespectful to the rest of the band to say that shannon is and was the only contributor of any significance in blind melon. granted, blind melon will never be the same again without shannon, but i dont think that means they can no longer be blind melon. my point was also that you dont KNOW that shannon would find it disrespectful, it just offends you. i dont think you can presume to speak for shannon and if the band feels it is acceptable or appropriate, i am going to take their word for it over yours thank you very much. they knew him, you did not. i think they have a better grasp of what shannon would find offensive and what he would not.

on a sidenote, for years i hated sublime becos when brad nowell died everyone was making such a huge deal of mourning the loss of a genius. shannon's death seemed to go mostly overlooked. it is only in the last few years they seem to have gotten the respect they deserved.

Just for the record, I never said Shannon was the only contributor to the band. All the guys brought their own unique talent to the band, and I have a deep respect for the music they gave us. What I am saying is the five of them together were BLIND MELON...to label yourselves that with someone else is wrong.
  • Well, at least the other guys want to go back to making music. We'll see after one album how their new singer stands with the band.
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
    Rain Fur Rent is some pretty good sounding stuff. I cant wait to hear this!!
  • Awesome.

They can call themselves whatever they want...if it's even close to any of their work with Shannon, I'll buy it.

Besides....why bother with the "former Blind Melon members" in every concert/album ad, interview, review, etc....that is the reason people are interested in this...so why beat around the bush? If they call themselves Sister Mary Elephant, the first line in every article will contain the words Blind Melon anyway. These articles can now skip straight to the "new singer" paragraph. It's just a name for gawdsake!

Best of luck to them...glad to see they've made enough peace to move on and hopefully fucking rock us all again!
  • I thought at first that "Rain For Rent" was the name of the first single or something....I was thinking, "wow....are they saying they're going on tour to play No Rain for rent money?" or is there some kind of irony I'm missing? :D
    I have to check this band out...
    Just for the record, I never said Shannon was the only contributor to the band. All the guys brought their own unique talent to the band, and I have a deep respect for the music they gave us. What I am saying is the five of them together were BLIND MELON...to label yourselves that with someone else is wrong.

pearl jam no longer has their original drummer. why is that different?
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    Damn it's definetely cool they are coming back.. but I am extremely skeptical of singers trying to replace the gods.. but I am listening to Zipcodes and this guy sounds pretty good!

http://www.myspace.com/rainfurrent
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
    bharQ wrote:
    Damn it's definetely cool they are coming back.. but I am extremely skeptical of singers trying to replace the gods.. but I am listening to Zipcodes and this guy sounds pretty good!

http://www.myspace.com/rainfurrent

all those songs are pretty good.

...and who knows, this could turn out like AIC (so far I've heard pretty good stuff about them)
    is there any way to get these songs without being a myspace member? i hate myspace...