Blind Melon is back with a new singer

CharlesFrenchyCharlesFrenchy Posts: 4
edited December 2006 in Other Music
check out http://www.beemelon.com for further information
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• :eek:

What's with all these 90's bands making a comeback in 2006? AIC, PJ, Smashing Pumpkins, and now Blind Melon! It's like an orgasm to my ears :D
  • blasphemy

edit: PJ made a comeback? when did they ever leave?
  • Hmm, I'll hold my judgement. The new singer seems to have a pretty decent voice, which is a good start......
  • JSP552003 wrote:
    blasphemy

edit: PJ made a comeback? when did they ever leave?

They took some time off. They never really left, but new tour/material this year is what I was getting at.
  • Hmmm..new Blind Melon eh ?...not sure about that...Blind Melon and Alice in chains are in my top 5 fav bands but with new singers it's just not the same..Yeah they may sound ok but not like the front men they had like Shannon Hoon and Layne Staley..just can't replace those guys..
    But in all honesty I haven't heard any of the new stuff from both bands so it may still be good but like I said..not the same
    Master of Zen
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    five seconds, he sounds great. i'm in.
  • check out http://www.beemelon.com for further information

Nice
    "My Cadillac's sittin in the back, it isn't me, I'm going home in my Galaxy"
    S. Hoon

"My body's nobody's body but mine. You run your own body, let me run mine" Chicago '95

Franken '08
  • Galaxie2X4 wrote:
    Nice

I take it by your user name you're a big Blind Melon fan...sweet...Soup is one of my favorite all time albums....one of those albums you just press play and let it all go...no skipping songs...
    I'm sure you heard the hidden song before the first song eh ?
    Master of Zen
  • danny72688 wrote:
    They took some time off. They never really left, but new tour/material this year is what I was getting at.

ah ok gotcha

but back on topic, no one can replace shannon....it just can't be done....ill give em a chance but i doubt i'll ever be able to accept any music they do with the new guy as blind melon...they should form under a different name imo
  • AliAli Posts: 2,621
    fuck you...change their fucking name.
    A whisper and a thrill
    A whisper and a chill
    adv2005

"Why do I bother?"
    The 11th Commandment.
    "Whatever"

PETITION TO STOP THE BAN OF SMOKING IN BARS IN THE UNITED STATES....Anyone?
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    hmmm. im interested but skeptical. shannon hoon is a tough act to follow. but honestly, im thinking from the songwriting perspective. hoon was a unique talent, but what id like to know is his influence in the songwriting of the band. becos yeah, shannon was good, but it was the songs they wrote that made them great. if shannon was central to that i dont know if this will work. unified theory was slightly disappointing so i dont know. if he was more a contributor than a driving force, they might come out ok. acdc did ok replacing their singer. as did van halen. i dont much care for either band, but it's a definite indication that there's no reason a band cannot continue to be successful and good despite losing their singer.
    hmmm. im interested but skeptical. shannon hoon is a tough act to follow. but honestly, im thinking from the songwriting perspective. hoon was a unique talent, but what id like to know is his influence in the songwriting of the band. becos yeah, shannon was good, but it was the songs they wrote that made them great. if shannon was central to that i dont know if this will work. unified theory was slightly disappointing so i dont know. if he was more a contributor than a driving force, they might come out ok. acdc did ok replacing their singer. as did van halen. i dont much care for either band, but it's a definite indication that there's no reason a band cannot continue to be successful and good despite losing their singer.
    I just love blind melon with hoon.and its just such a shame to have blind melon without him after the tradgedy in which his life was taken,but who knows,I'm sure he wants his legacy to be carried on.
    I just miss hoon and know hes in a good place,:(
    A whisper and a thrill
    A whisper and a chill
    adv2005

"Why do I bother?"
    The 11th Commandment.
    "Whatever"

• I agree that bands who pick up new singers should change their name. I love Blind Melon but it can't really be BM without Shannon Hoon. I think as a new band they should be able to promote the fact that the other members were in BM. It would feel weird buying a BM cd with a different singer while if it was a newly named band it would be much easier to accept a great new band. The music of BM is so good that I am sure that the original members will continue to make great music. I just think it should be under another name.
    the replacement singer SHOULD be afriend of the previous singer in respect to a fellow singer,...but must know ezactly what the previous singer was writing about.NOw ,who really knows the poetry in EVERYTHING MR MORRISON DOES?OR HOON?i think theyre irreplaceable but a tribute can and should take place.
    A whisper and a thrill
    A whisper and a chill
    adv2005

"Why do I bother?"
    The 11th Commandment.
    "Whatever"

• Well well see how it turns out, I hope the band has other motives than only easy cash.
  • I think if cash was the motivation, then they woulda done it a long time ago. those guys all wrote songs in the band ...the bass player wrote the big hit, so it seems like it could be cool. i think its risky for them, and that's kinda cool to me.....
  • brain of c wrote:
    five seconds, he sounds great. i'm in.

i agree. the guy sounds pretty damn good.
    and now... anticipation.
    sign THE petition!!!
    http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/pearljam_to_israel/index.html

10/03/05 philadelphia
    05/09/06 toronto
    05/10/06 toronto
    06/01/06 e. rutherford
    06/03/06 e. rutherford
    09/30/06 athens
    06/12/07 munich
    I agree that bands who pick up new singers should change their name. I love Blind Melon but it can't really be BM without Shannon Hoon. I think as a new band they should be able to promote the fact that the other members were in BM. It would feel weird buying a BM cd with a different singer while if it was a newly named band it would be much easier to accept a great new band. The music of BM is so good that I am sure that the original members will continue to make great music. I just think it should be under another name.

do you feel the sam about acdc? they had their biggest and best album after getting a new singer. should it have been issued under a different name that no one would have ever bothered to listen to? none of us would have ever heard 'back in black' or 'you shook me all night long.'
  • hoon's songwriting ability and talent was out of this world. one might say out of this "galaxie". but any blind melon news is terrific news, i have been waiting for this for so so so so long. i sincerely hope that they can leave what happened in the past to the band where it belongs, in the past. move on, rebirth
  • viggs20viggs20 Posts: 1,296
    I'm not sure what to think about this...the guys have every right to do go ahead with a new singer but I hope they dont try to recreate what they did earlier. I guess having a different name would help shifting the focus and personally as a fan - when I think of Blind Melon...its Rogers, Brad, Christopher, Glen and Shannon. But I'll reserve my judgement till I hear the songs.
    In other news I'm glad Unified Theory is putting out the songs they recorded for the second album and early demos.
    "Reality continues to ruin my life." - Calvin & Hobbes.

www.stopglobalaids.com www.indymedia.org www.ecologyfund.com www.thehungersite.com www.amnesty.org www.pratham.org www.icbl.org www.care2.com/click2donate
  • do you feel the sam about acdc? they had their biggest and best album after getting a new singer. should it have been issued under a different name that no one would have ever bothered to listen to? none of us would have ever heard 'back in black' or 'you shook me all night long.'

thats a little different because angus and malcolm write most of the songs where as i'm pretty sure shannon played a big part in blind melon's song writing...but i could be wrong....and even so i still prefer the bon scott years and 'highway to hell' over 'back in black'
    Ali wrote:
    fuck you...change their fucking name.

that's sweet of you...thanks
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    i'm interested to hear ;)
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    there are certain bands where a new singer could work and then there are some, like Alice and Blind Melon where their respective singers were the heart and soul of the band. It just CANNOT be the same.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    JSP552003 wrote:
    thats a little different because angus and malcolm write most of the songs where as i'm pretty sure shannon played a big part in blind melon's song writing...but i could be wrong....and even so i still prefer the bon scott years and 'highway to hell' over 'back in black'

that's sweet of you...thanks

that's kinda what i was getting at. i dont really know how integral shannon was to the songwriting process for them. i know he had a huge part in change, but other tha that, im not the most knowledgable blind melon fan. i know they are capable of good tunes. unified theory had some good tunes, they just lacked the spark and verve to carry them. if they can find a good singer that connects well with them, id not be writing off blind melon so fast...
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    there are certain bands where a new singer could work and then there are some, like Alice and Blind Melon where their respective singers were the heart and soul of the band. It just CANNOT be the same.
    Exactly, they never will be the same. No band can lose as important a member of the band as Layne or Shannon and ever be the same, that's not to say they can't be good or who knows maybe even better. I know they would never claim to be the same either. However I don't agree with using the same name I find it sort of disrespectful I realize they are using it to be recognized but they should've added something to the name like Blind Melon X or just something simple 'LIKE THAT' to change it just in the slightest way.
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
    Exactly, they never will be the same. No band can lose as important a member of the band as Layne or Shannon and ever be the same, that's not to say they can't be good or who knows maybe even better. I know they would never claim to be the same either. However I don't agree with using the same name I find it sort of disrespectful I realize they are using it to be recognized but they should've added something to the name like Blind Melon X or just something simple 'LIKE THAT' to change it just in the slightest way.

should the who be able to tour as the who despite losing two integral members? they're only half the original band...

im just wondering where everyone draws the line. why a pass for the who and acdc and van halen? why is it different for blind melon or aic? in my eyes, the difference is what they're doing as a band.

im more ok with a band losing a member, even an integral or important one, and then continuing to record under the same name than i am with a band losing one or two minor members but only continuing under the same name for touring purposes. to me, the former says the passion for making music is still there despite the tragedy and should be recognized as the original band struggling to overcome the loss. they worked hard for their success and should not have to start over because they lost their singer to drugs. the latter says they dont care to make any new music, but they're out of money and need the tour to make rent. maybe they worked hard for their success but now they're simply resting on their laurels.
  • should the who be able to tour as the who despite losing two integral members? they're only half the original band...

im just wondering where everyone draws the line. why a pass for the who and acdc and van halen? why is it different for blind melon or aic? in my eyes, the difference is what they're doing as a band.

im more ok with a band losing a member, even an integral or important one, and then continuing to record under the same name than i am with a band losing one or two minor members but only continuing under the same name for touring purposes. to me, the former says the passion for making music is still there despite the tragedy and should be recognized as the original band struggling to overcome the loss. they worked hard for their success and should not have to start over because they lost their singer to drugs. the latter says they dont care to make any new music, but they're out of money and need the tour to make rent. maybe they worked hard for their success but now they're simply resting on their laurels.
    Well you do have a good point... I guess we all know what happened and who's in the band and who's not anymore. In the long run the music will have to stand on it's own either way new name or not. I think because I liked Shannon so much as well as Layne that I had a problem with them using the same name. However after re-thinking... am glad the rest of the band members of both bands are making new music.
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • CM1847CM1847 Posts: 577
    Let them take the name if they want to. It will get them attention, if they are good, people will keep listening, if they suck, they will be forgotten as a terrible attempt to reincarnate a once-great band. All it is goign to do it give them attention, they were a part of the original band so they at least deserve some attention from what they did previously.
  • Hmmm....glad to see the guys back. Lots of potential...I hope they're able to capitalize on this new beginning.

While it's hard to think of Blind Melon without Shannon, I'm glad Brad, Rogers, Glen and Chris are able to keep the music going.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Some may call it blasphemy but I am thrilled to hear that the boys will be making new music together, even if it is with a new singer. I will definitely be checking them out. Thanks for the news!!