The White Album is so overrated

Comments

• CobCob Posts: 857
    The White Album is VERY GOOD and The Kninks are THE BEST British Invasion band and one of the best bands EVER.....
    [img][/img]9/5/92, 11/20/93, 3/14,15/94, 9/16/95, 10/14,15/2000
    4/5,6/9/2003, 9/1/05, 12/7/2005, 7/15,16,18/2006, 8/5/2007
    6/24,25/08,6/27/08,6/28/08,6/30/08
    9/21,22/2009, 10/4/2009
    5/6,7,9/2010, 9/3/2011 9/4/2011, 11/15/2013,
    11/16/2013, 12/8/2013, 10/5/2014, 10/12/2014,
    4/23, 5/10, 5/12, 8/20, 8/22 2016,
    8/8, 8/10, 8/18, 8/20 2018, 5/12, 5/13, 9/20 2022

• Tek Money wrote:
    You're missing the first part of my post.

?

I missed nothing. I didn't feel a need to comment on that part. What's your point?
  • Love the white album. Named my daughter after a beautiful song on it.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • Love the white album. Named my daughter after a beautiful song on it.

Rocky Raccoon?
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Nope he likes Oasis.:D

Sorry could'nt resist.

LOL!
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • I think the experimental aspect of the album and the fact that all 4 were involved in their own way (maybe not always together) is part of the reason for the hype.

Yeah, it's no start to finish masterpiece like Revolver, Sgt Pepper, Abbey Road. but, some of their best songs (Dear Prudence is my favorite) are on this album. If I had to make a correlation, I would use Radiohead. This is their Hail to the Theif...great songs but not a start to finish perfect album like The Bends, OK Computer and Kid A.

Plus, there are actual "rockers" on this one. Back in the USSR, Helter Skelter, Birthday...these were breakthroughs for the Beatles at the time. I guess that's my opinion.
    Those undecided,........ Needn't have faith to be free
    And those misguided, There was a plan for them to be
    Now you got both sides Claiming killing in Gods name
    But God is nowhere,..... To be found, conveniently

What goes on?
  • Rocky Raccoon?

you got it
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • ?

I missed nothing. I didn't feel a need to comment on that part. What's your point?

Well, obviously you did, because I wasn't talking to you.
    Cock Fight.
  • Tek Money wrote:
    Well, obviously you did, because I wasn't talking to you.

lol, Hey man, I'm just trying to stick up for pjoasisrule just one time. usually I'm one of the ones dogging him. this is an historic moment, in which he and I actually agree on something. :D
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    fada wrote:
    Compare albums of each at the time of release and you will be truly wrong.

The who first great album was Tommy in 69 . Comparing "a quick one" or "My generation" with any beatle album released at the time and they are clearly blown out of the water

beatles couldn't compare to the who as a live experience. did the beatles ever play a live show after 1965 or 1966? oh yes,they played some songs on top of some rooftop in 1969......whatever.
  • Overrated? Nah.

No skip tracks for me, all memorable. Okay scratch that, I'd toss out Good Night, that was a lame and cheesy closer ;)
  • G-Man23 wrote:
    beatles couldn't compare to the who as a live experience. did the beatles ever play a live show after 1965 or 1966? oh yes,they played some songs on top of some rooftop in 1969......whatever.

Their last official performance was at Candlestick Park, on August 29th 1966. They had planned a concert for television, for the end of 1968, and it was even advertised in The Beatles Monthly Book. It didn't happen, though. The Get Back film project (which became Let it Be), and the impromptu Saville Row concert on January 30th 1969, were a sad attempt to salvage something from the original concert plan.

My mum was walking down Saville Row, while the concert was happening. She said it was an out of tune racket.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    G-Man23 wrote:
    Let me see......the "big three" of the British invasion :

beatles
    rolling stones
    &
    the who

the who kicks ass over the beatles and stones. that said,both the beatles & stones are overrated and the who are greatly underappreciated!

my 2bits........

oh yeh,the white album is also overrated.

not a chance. the who are easily the weakest of those 3.
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    G-Man23 wrote:
    Let me see......the "big three" of the British invasion :

beatles
    rolling stones
    &
    the who

the who kicks ass over the beatles and stones. that said,both the beatles & stones are overrated and the who are greatly underappreciated!

my 2bits........

oh yeh,the white album is also overrated.

The Kinks = the most overlooked British band to come out of the 60's.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • MojopinMojopin Posts: 216
    definitely not over-rated.

Mojo
    "A consistently good band works all the different elements well. A song has to appeal sentimentally, intellectually, physically, viscerally, and dig deep down into your soul and suck you into it. And after that, of course, it'd be a matter of taste." ~ Kim Thayil from Soundgarden
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    how could somebody really say this?
  • dunkman wrote:

its the fucking Beatles... someone write something better than their filler, post it on myspace and then come back to me.. ;)

I think nearly everything in the entire history of Myspace is better than Don't Pass Me By. Let's not get excited, Dunkstah. ;)
  • dunkman wrote:
    Its The Beatles... its the White Album... shut up

was that a direct quote from Sir Paul in The Beatles Anthology?

And to the thread starter, yer out of your fucking mind.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    was that a direct quote from Sir Paul in The Beatles Anthology?

And to the thread starter, yer out of your fucking mind.

its as close as i can remember anyway... i think its right?
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
    I think nearly everything in the entire history of Myspace is better than Don't Pass Me By. Let's not get excited, Dunkstah. ;)

well i know, but c'mon... Ringo has to get a song per album.. its filler before its even been recorded.

i still rate the white album demo stuff to be some of their best stuff.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • dunkman wrote:
    well i know, but c'mon... Ringo has to get a song per album.. its filler before its even been recorded.

i still rate the white album demo stuff to be some of their best stuff.

Yep. It's criminal that Not Guilty was left off the album.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Tek Money wrote:
    pjoasisrule, you never have anything but negative reviews. Do you even like music at all? It doesn't seem like it.

The White Album is my favorite Beatles album. Deal with it.

I like tons of music, its just easier to debate about what you dont like. I could care less if its your favorite album, I am dealing with it fine.........I just think it isnt very good, thats all.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • I like tons of music, its just easier to debate about what you dont like. I could care less if its your favorite album, I am dealing with it fine.........I just think it isnt very good, thats all.

It's just very negative.

Maybe you can make a thread about music you like, so everyone here can rip apart your taste in music. See how you like it.
    Cock Fight.
    Tek Money wrote:
    It's just very negative.

Maybe you can make a thread about music you like, so everyone here can rip apart your taste in music. See how you like it.

The Beatles are one of my favorite bands, this is just one of my least favorite albums by them.........cry about it why dont you
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

I could care less if its your favorite album,

that means you do actually care...

think about it!!!

how can i trust you're shitty review of a Beatles album when your grammar is equatable to that of a 3 year old crab
    dunkman wrote:
    that means you do actually care...

think about it!!!

how can i trust you're shitty review of a Beatles album when your grammar is equatable to that of a 3 year old crab

I dont care if its his favorite album, I just wanted to see what people would have to say about my reasons for it not being that great.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

I dont care if its his favorite album

thats better.. i dont care. see how that makes more sense than "i could care less"?

you dont like it which is fair enough.. each to their own :)
  • The Beatles are one of my favorite bands, this is just one of my least favorite albums by them.........cry about it why dont you

Cry about what?
    Cock Fight.
  • I dont understand why it is constantly considered their best and I cant believe that so many people love the album as well. There is such a ridiculous amount of filler on it......filler that is so bad that I cant even bare to listen to it. Besides for While My Guitar Gently Weeps, I dont consider any of the songs amongst their best. The songs do not flow well at all as an album either not too mention that they are not nearly as catchy as their other releases. The Beatles barely even worked together on the tunes. The only thing I that I find great about the album is that they experimented with other music and rock genres although some of the experimenting really did not work out too well for them.

may Christ have mercy on your soul young man!

I dunno, you say that there's a lot of filler and that might be true. but what might be filler to you (maybe Martha My Dear) might be someone else's favorite song on the album. I'd argue that Helter Skelter and Back in the USSR are two of the best rock songs ever. John has some great songs on it (Prudence, Sadie, Cry Baby Cry, Yer Blues), there's good acoustic stuff throughout (Blackbird, Mother Nature's Son, Julia, Long Long Long) and fun songs that don't take themselves too seriously.....and you shouldn't either (Birthday, Rocky raccoon, Why Don't We Do It in the Road, Honey Pie, Glass Onion).

Paul from the Anthology:

"It's great...it sold...it's the bloody Beatles White Album! Shut up."
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • CosmoCosmo Posts: 12,225
    I dont understand why it is constantly considered their best and I cant believe that so many people love the album as well. There is such a ridiculous amount of filler on it......filler that is so bad that I cant even bare to listen to it. Besides for While My Guitar Gently Weeps, I dont consider any of the songs amongst their best. The songs do not flow well at all as an album either not too mention that they are not nearly as catchy as their other releases. The Beatles barely even worked together on the tunes. The only thing I that I find great about the album is that they experimented with other music and rock genres although some of the experimenting really did not work out too well for them.
    I guess the best way I can explain it...
    You had to have been there... to get it.
    The same goes for 1977 and the punk rock of The Clash, Sex Pistols and Ramones... and 1991 for Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, Alice in Chains.
    Allen Fieldhouse, home of the 2008 NCAA men's Basketball Champions! Go Jayhawks!
    Hail, Hail!!!