The White Album is so overrated

pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
edited November 2007 in Other Music
I dont understand why it is constantly considered their best and I cant believe that so many people love the album as well. There is such a ridiculous amount of filler on it......filler that is so bad that I cant even bare to listen to it. Besides for While My Guitar Gently Weeps, I dont consider any of the songs amongst their best. The songs do not flow well at all as an album either not too mention that they are not nearly as catchy as their other releases. The Beatles barely even worked together on the tunes. The only thing I that I find great about the album is that they experimented with other music and rock genres although some of the experimenting really did not work out too well for them.
Alpine Valley 2000
Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Oh.

My.

God.

We actually agree on something!

I hate The White Album! :D

Maybe you're ok after all, pjoasisrule. :p
  • This thread should be worth a ban. If you don't like the White album, then maybe you shouldn't be listening to music.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    i think you're both nuts. while i'll agree there is filler and maybe one disc would have been plenty, the album as a whole has more of their best songs than any other album.

glass onion
    dear prudence
    i'm so tired
    while my guitar gently weeps
    rocky raccoon
    why don't we do it in the road
    happiness is a warm gun
    blackbird
    birthday
    yer blues
    everybody's got something to hide except for me and my monkey
    sexy sadie
    helter skelter
    revolution
  • The White Album is one of the greatest albums of all time. That said, I think they could have cut Revolution 9.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Its The Beatles... its the White Album... shut up
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    The Beatles are over rated.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    it's the bloody beatles white album.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    i bought abbey road not so long ago and was a bit disappointed with that. so now im hearing the white album is shite too? let me catch up will you. :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    while i agree the filler tracks are ridiculous, there are some amazing songs on there. sure it could have been cut down a bit, but just skip the filler songs and there's one of the best albums ever in there
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • Kids, kids, kids.....respect your elders. That album was groundbreaking at the time. Music is all about the time frame in which is was made. I promise you, your kids will look back at Pearl Jam or whoever you think is groundbreaking right now...and think its overrated then because they weren't here for it.
    "It's all happening"
  • I will say, I agree it is overrated, but the amazing thing about it is, to me, you still have to listen to the songs that you don't care for, or the songs you like don't sound right.

Plus itsa double album, with which there is an obligation to put a few songs that wouldnt make the rest of your albums.
  • Kids, kids, kids.....respect your elders. That album was groundbreaking at the time. Music is all about the time frame in which is was made. I promise you, your kids will look back at Pearl Jam or whoever you think is groundbreaking right now...and think its overrated then because they weren't here for it.

Yup. Maybe you had to be there ... although I've somehow successfully raised people who see this album as interesting and good. I guess it's about keeping the music in perspective. Also, it helps to listen to albums of that time in their entirety. The flow didn't come accidentally.
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    Long, Long, Long is my favorite Beatles song......although I think I might stand alone on this one
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • pjoasisrule, you never have anything but negative reviews. Do you even like music at all? It doesn't seem like it.

The White Album is my favorite Beatles album. Deal with it.
    Cock Fight.
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Tek Money wrote:
    pjoasisrule, you never have anything but negative reviews. Do you even like music at all? .

Nope he likes Oasis.:D

Sorry could'nt resist.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    Aren't "filler" songs up for debate anyway? I happen to love "Martha My Dear," "Mother Nature's Son" and "Cry Baby Cry," but I don't think I've ever seen anyone singing their praises. And yeah, I have fond memories of "Ob-la-di, Ob-la-da." It never fails to cheer me up.

I'd say this is probably my second or third favorite Beatles album.

pj *is* overrated. ;):D
  • Tek Money wrote:

The White Album is my favorite Beatles album. Deal with it.

And we don't like it. Deal with it. :D
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Let me see......the "big three" of the British invasion :

beatles
    rolling stones
    &
    the who

the who kicks ass over the beatles and stones. that said,both the beatles & stones are overrated and the who are greatly underappreciated!

my 2bits........

oh yeh,the white album is also overrated.
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    Compare albums of each at the time of release and you will be truly wrong.

The who first great album was Tommy in 69 . Comparing "a quick one" or "My generation" with any beatle album released at the time and they are clearly blown out of the water
  • I dont understand why it is constantly considered their best and I cant believe that so many people love the album as well. There is such a ridiculous amount of filler on it......filler that is so bad that I cant even bare to listen to it. Besides for While My Guitar Gently Weeps, I dont consider any of the songs amongst their best. The songs do not flow well at all as an album either not too mention that they are not nearly as catchy as their other releases. The Beatles barely even worked together on the tunes. The only thing I that I find great about the album is that they experimented with other music and rock genres although some of the experimenting really did not work out too well for them.

It's certainly a disjointed - albeit fine - album, that's for sure. I only really think Side 3 works as a cohesive chunk of sound, in terms of well thought-out running order. (Oh, for CD people, that's the tracklisting from Birthday, through to Long, Long, Long.)

Anybody got the Esher Demos? You know, the demos for the album, recorded at George's house? They're great fun to listen to.
  • G-Man23 wrote:
    the who kicks ass over the beatles and stones. that said,both the beatles & stones are overrated and the who are greatly underappreciated!

The Who may be the most overrated band to come out of that era, and that's sayin somethin since the Beatles are always so overblown.

The Who, for the most part are a singles band.
  • Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    The Who may be the most overrated band to come out of that era, and that's sayin somethin since the Beatles are always so overblown.

The Who, for the most part are a singles band.

That's why my favourite Who album remains Meaty Beaty Big and Bouncy, the compilation from 1971.
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    The Beatles are over rated.

Wow. A little too much reefer maybe?

I definitely think the White Album is overrated, and you hit the nail on the head, too much filler. But there are some amazing songs on their, not just While My Guitar Gently Weeps. Go back and listen to that list soulsinging made.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • fadafada Posts: 1,032
    The who albums are actually good up to Tommy. If they ever was a singles band it has to be the kinks
  • I think of Vitalogy as PJ's "White Album".

Some great songs, but some lame filler. I'd love to go into a bar and play "Heyfoxymop" followed by "Revolution Number 9" on the jukebox and see what happens
    Bob Loblaw's Law Blog: "Why should YOU go to jail for a crime someone else noticed?"
  • I don't think there is much filler at all on the white album. I don't see what you people are talking about. Vitalogy has more filler than the White Album.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Vitalogy has more filler than the White Album.

thats a great observation amigo!!!

only Revolution9 is shit... the others are 'songs'..

its the fucking Beatles... someone write something better than their filler, post it on myspace and then come back to me.. ;)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • And we don't like it. Deal with it. :D

You're missing the first part of my post.
    Cock Fight.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,262
    !@#$%^&* THE WHITE ALBUM over rated only by your standards pjoasis ......
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....