Bands that should hang it up

13»

Comments

• yes.

So when Plant/Page toured and kicked so much ass, and when The Eagles reunited and nailed it and put it on dvd....... and remeber Fleetwood Mac reuniting and how good they were..... I like all that stuff prob more if I think about it. You don't agree?
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    So when Plant/Page toured and kicked so much ass, and when The Eagles reunited and nailed it and put it on dvd....... and remeber Fleetwood Mac reuniting and how good they were..... I like all that stuff prob more if I think about it. You don't agree?

plant and page does not equal zeppelin.

and that's right i dont agree with reformations. not the church and not music. nothing. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    yosi wrote:
    Nickleback. Cause they suck.

Um, I think as long as the Stones still bring in the money and people want to see them, they should keep playing.

Personally, and I know most people will disagree, I also think the Red Hot Chili Peppers should call it quits. I haven't been a big fan of anything since One Hot Minute (which I seem to be the only person in existence who loved this album). Californication had some great songs, and it was fine. But I really haven't liked BTW, or SA. Also, judging from the time I saw them in concert (and several live performances on TV), their live show sucks.

just ban them from radio.
  • plant and page does not equal zeppelin.

and that's right i dont agree with reformations. not the church and not music. nothing. :)

I agree that they don't equal zeppelin, but my god was it great. Especially for a devot zep worshiper like myself. None before the almighty - commanment #1, ya know.
  • brain of c wrote:
    just ban them from radio.

I've talked so much shit about nickleback here. It just feels good. I am going to admit that in the last few weeks I've had to come the realization that I like ONE nickleback song that I've heard. Its a ballad, which a lot of crap bands can pull off.
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    I've talked so much shit about nickleback here. It just feels good. I am going to admit that in the last few weeks I've had to come the realization that I like ONE nickleback song that I've heard. Its a ballad, which a lot of crap bands can pull off.

the problem begins when you hear.......any.......other nickelback song.
  • brain of c wrote:
    the problem begins when you hear.......any.......other nickelback song.

agreed, the rest suck ass. My least favorite stuff right now. Seams so contrived and corny.
  • Housing JimHousing Jim Posts: 644
    I don't think they should break up, but R.E.M. should give up trying to be the commercial pop band they seem to have become in the last few years.

Around The Sun was an extremely poor record and their live shows are not a patch on the cool, rock band they used to be. In the past Michael Stipe has always been such a captivating performer by just doing what he did, that weird little dance, nonsensical rambling between the songs......on the last tour, it just seemed like he was trying too hard, like he wanted to be Robbie Williams or summat, running from one side of the stage to the other, getting the crowd to put their hands in the air........it was an embarrassment to watch.

I don't know if he's trying to play to the kind of fans who now go to R.E.M. shows since the greatest hits was released...tI actually witnessed one guy saying he was "bored" during Electrolite and then pronouncing "That's more like it" as he bounced up and down to Losing My Religion while the majority of the audience looked blankly at each other when they played Exhuming Mccarthy.

I'd hate to see R.E.M. call it a day but I'd hate even more to see them continue down this current path
    A democracy on paper, apparently well ordered, regularly subverted by irrational chaos.

Manchester - 4/6/2000
    London - 20/4/2006
    Dublin - 23/8/2006
    London - 18/6/2007
    New York City - 24/6/2008
    New York City - 25/6/2008 - we will be "what is up" New York
    Manchester - 18/8/2009
    Manchester - 20/6/2012
    Leeds - 6/7/2014
    London - 18/6/2018
  • whulmefwhulmef Posts: 176
    Bob dylan , doubt it! His last three albums are undisputed classics. He is making some of the best music out there now. Right now he is almost as good as he was in the early sixties. Just becuase you dont have the patience to watch him live doesnt mean he isnt good. His live band right now is the tightest shit i have ever seen, the loudest band i have ever seen, and they rock harder than anyting i have ever seen (i dont go see heavy metal but..) they rock harder than pearl jam and kings of leon. I dont always know what song he is playing when i see him live but it rocks my ass off anyways.
  • cornnifercornnifer Posts: 2,130
    Particularly the touring (this will most likely be controversial)

The Rolling Stones
    The Who (who are I believe)
    Bob Dylan
    Metallica
    Guns N Roses
    All hair bands

i saw The Who this past December. i must say i disagree with you. These guys will kick the ass of most bands out right now. Over two hours. Very high intensity and sounded great! One of the best non PJ shows i've ever seen. i was also pleasantly surprised by some of the new material. These guys still have it. My wife went in support of me, and enjoyed probably as much as i did. Maybe more.
    "When all your friends and sedatives mean well but make it worse... better find yourself a place to level out."
  • Matty Boy wrote:
    Chris Cornell should hang it up. I know the guy is treated like he's some kind of god around here, but he's washed up. His cover of Michael Jackson was beyond lame and his James Bond song was pure shit. The guy should either get back with Soundgarden and do a greatest hits tour or retire.

Yeah this from the guy who thinks Axl should continue the hair metal legacy. Fuck.
  • jammerfalljammerfall Posts: 908
    I don't think they should break up, but R.E.M. should give up trying to be the commercial pop band they seem to have become in the last few years.

Trying to be a commercial pop band? Take a listen to any of their last three releases and you'll know that this is not a band trying to jump into the commercial cesspool.
    "Hello Oregonians. Hello Washingtonians. Hello Portland..where the fuck are we? We're in Ridgefield!"
  • JSBEJSBE Posts: 1,077
    cutback wrote:
    This thread is full of a lotta ignorance. sorry....

you think?

if someone doesn't put on a show at least half as good as pearl jam then they must suck ass live...

yeah, that was sarcastic.
  • MCGMCG Posts: 780
    I can't believe people are calling for the Rolling Stones to hang it up. I saw them twice last year and they were nothing short of amazing.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    Yeah this from the guy who thinks Axl should continue the hair metal legacy. Fuck.
    Guns N' Roses aren't fucking hair metal... they're just one of the best Rock N' Roll bands ever. If "Appetite For Destruction" came out in 92 after "Nevermind" and "Ten" GnR would have still been bigger than Nirvana and Pearl Jam.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Matty Boy wrote:
    Guns N' Roses aren't fucking hair metal... they're just one of the best Rock N' Roll bands ever. If "Appetite For Destruction" came out in 92 after "Nevermind" and "Ten" GnR would have still been bigger than Nirvana and Pearl Jam.

We got ourselves a joker
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    Matty Boy wrote:
    I will agree with the "aren't fucking hair metal" part.....I do question what success "Appetite" would have had if released in 1992.....a lot of an album's success depends on timing.....zeitgeist or the "spirit of the times." The world was ready for GnR in 1988....in fact it helped begin the end for "hair metal." The world was ready for Nirvana/Pearl Jam in 1991-92.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • bookmusebookmuse Posts: 277
    no, son he isn't some kind of god around here. he IS god.

sorry you didn't get the amended bible that tenclub sent out...it was mailed at the same time as the holiday single.

He He. "no, son..."

I'm going to send Chris's version of Billie Jean to my ex's band's site (yes, they cover this) to show them God's version. Maybe they can learn a few things.
    "Speak your mind even if your voice shakes" ~ M Kuhn
  • I don't think they should break up, but R.E.M. should give up trying to be the commercial pop band they seem to have become in the last few years.

Around The Sun was an extremely poor record and their live shows are not a patch on the cool, rock band they used to be. In the past Michael Stipe has always been such a captivating performer by just doing what he did, that weird little dance, nonsensical rambling between the songs......on the last tour, it just seemed like he was trying too hard, like he wanted to be Robbie Williams or summat, running from one side of the stage to the other, getting the crowd to put their hands in the air........it was an embarrassment to watch.

I don't know if he's trying to play to the kind of fans who now go to R.E.M. shows since the greatest hits was released...tI actually witnessed one guy saying he was "bored" during Electrolite and then pronouncing "That's more like it" as he bounced up and down to Losing My Religion while the majority of the audience looked blankly at each other when they played Exhuming Mccarthy.

I'd hate to see R.E.M. call it a day but I'd hate even more to see them continue down this current path

R.E.M. has such a huge cannon of material in their catalogue that it is impossible to please everyone. I give them props for their last few albums instead of re-creating "Automatic for the People" or other more commercially successful albums they are mining new territory. Anyone who shows up to an R.E.M. album just to hear all of their "hits" is not going to be satisfied with any show they put on. If you want to go to an R.E.M. concert to exclusively hear "Losing my Religion" or "The one I love" stay home, listen to it on your cd player and save yourself the cost of admission. I love their diverse setlists. They know they can't appeal to everyone's favorites, so they mix things up every night on tour. They are true professionals who cater to their fans
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    I dont hate Gnr (well I hate them now because of Axel Rose being such a huge dickhead) but I gotta say that their brand of rock seems very outdated nowadays.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    I dont hate Gnr (well I hate them now because of Axel Rose being such a huge dickhead) but I gotta say that their brand of rock seems very outdated nowadays.
    That's funny that you hate GnR because the singer is a dickhead. That's the same reason that most people hate Oasis.. for the record I'm a huge Oasis fan also. Why is GnR's brand of rock outdated these days? Is it because it's actually good? If GnR is outdated than I guess so is Pearl Jam and Oasis!! I hope all three bands continue to make outdated kick ass Rock N' Roll.
  • sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,034
    R.E.M. has such a huge cannon of material in their catalogue that it is impossible to please everyone. I give them props for their last few albums instead of re-creating "Automatic for the People" or other more commercially successful albums they are mining new territory. Anyone who shows up to an R.E.M. album just to hear all of their "hits" is not going to be satisfied with any show they put on. If you want to go to an R.E.M. concert to exclusively hear "Losing my Religion" or "The one I love" stay home, listen to it on your cd player and save yourself the cost of admission. I love their diverse setlists. They know they can't appeal to everyone's favorites, so they mix things up every night on tour. They are true professionals who cater to their fans

The really amusing thing about R.E.M. is that they used to have the problem of being huge in America, but having no fans overseas... now this has reversed. Their last 2-3 records get panned over here, but they are playing huge ass venues in Europe, when they couldn't even sell out the Atlanta show on the last US tour.

So the way I see it, they are just in a particular phase at the moment, and knowing them (assuming they keep going), they will eventually turn yet another corner and change it up again.

Personally I think the last 2 records were lacking, but I have little doubt that they have great stuff left in them.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.
  • stickfig13stickfig13 Posts: 1,532
    Why should Metallica stop touring?

CAUSE THEY ARE HORRIBLE LIVE!!! JAMES'S VOICE IS BAD!
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
  • stickfig13stickfig13 Posts: 1,532
    Deftones
    Brian Wilson
    Ozzy
    Journey
    Billy Idol
    Mettalica
    Rhcp
    Green Day
    Brett Favre
    Julio Franco
    SAMMY SOSA!

Random Choices....i Know
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
  • SwitchSwitch Posts: 119
    Matty Boy wrote:

And if 'Appetite For Destruction' hadn't come out at all, no one would give a fuck about them.