Bands that should hang it up

Comments

• tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    forgot about that one.
    What about Uncle Bruce and Neil? *ducks quickly for cover*
    I would love to see Neil live......I run hot and cold on ole' Brucie boy.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    The Who don't tour much anyway, but they were freaking great a few months ago. It's worth seeing Townsend play small gigs by himself too. Zack Starky is perfect filling in for Moon though he's probably lacks a bit of fire, and Pino can't fill the Ox's shoes....but no one truely can.

Now I'm not saying go pay 200 bucks to see them play I didn't and wouldn't but they put on as good a show as many of the young up and comers and have written much better music over the years.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Why should Metallica stop touring?

Many reasons.........they are geezers, sell outs, little bitches, and havent made decent music for many years
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Particularly the touring (this will most likely be controversial)

The Rolling Stones
    The Who (who are I believe)
    Bob Dylan
    Metallica
    Guns N Roses
    All hair bands
    Dylan?! his last 3 albums have been his best since the mid 70s. you must be crazy. admittedly his voice is past it but he was never about that.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,242
    I've not seen them live but I agree with everything you said. I cared about RHCP when Dave Navarro was with them but that's it. I've never heard much praise about their live show which is interesting considering how great they're supposed to be.

Personally I think Billy Corgan should call it a day. The Pumpkins won't be the real Smashing Pumpkins and even if they were, they were sucking it up pretty badly before they called it quits. Plus they have always sounded awful live to my ears.
    euh euh DAVE NAVARRO come now the RHCP sucked way more with NAVARRO. JOHN is the peppers but i know what everybody is saying they just bore me at their shows THEY SHOULD JUST PLAY SMALL BAR VENUES ....
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • intodeep wrote:
    I'm not sure if Kiss is done yet or not, but if they are not... they should be.

Ace Frehley is still badass.
  • U2rocksU2rocks Posts: 89
    Obviously anyone who thinks Bob Dylan should stop going on the road is crazy. I suppose you think that way because of his voice and not the show itself. Grab yourself a clue.

http://www.myspace.com/ramon1972
  • Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    People will shut up about Axl when he finally releases "Chinese Democracy". Axl is the best frontman in rock and should most definitely keep on rocking. Watch this video and try and tell me that Axl sucks.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=973YLrlrNwM
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    sorry to disagree, but after seeing the stones and the who live this year, they kick ass over any of these other lame bands mentioned. (and i am not talking about neil young)
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • Whoa, whoa whoa...hold up...

Fuck no. The Pumpkins were still at their peek (in my opinion) when they called it quits. I mean, Machina I and II are probably my favorite albums as a whole by them.

The new Pumpkins will be amazing...and as far as I am concerned...their live show wasn't amazing vocally, but those guys (and girl) rocked the fuck out.

hmm...i'm going to have to disagree with you there. the smashing pumpkins were not at their peek. Their peek was Mellon Collie and Infinite Sadness. After that, you can pretty much forget them. some people may hang me for saying this but i straight up think that adore and machina i and ii are shit. they seem like they are just trying to hard or something. i don't know, the sound just doesn't seem to work for them.

i will still have to wait on their new stuff to see if the "so-called" reunion will be worth it for me.

EDIT: in conclusion, the smashing pumpkins should have stayed broken up.
    "No matter how cold the winter, there's a springtime ahead."
  • stateoflove79stateoflove79 Posts: 2,845
    hmm...i'm going to have to disagree with you there. the smashing pumpkins were not at their peek. Their peek was Mellon Collie and Infinite Sadness. After that, you can pretty much forget them. some people may hang me for saying this but i straight up think that adore and machina i and ii are shit. they seem like they are just trying to hard or something. i don't know, the sound just doesn't seem to work for them.

i will still have to wait on their new stuff to see if the "so-called" reunion will be worth it for me.

EDIT: in conclusion, the smashing pumpkins should have stayed broken up.

Yes, they were at their peek with MCIS, but they hadn't lost it at all after that. Adore is amazing, such beautiful songwriting. Machina is just as good to me.

I am very happy they're writing again.
    Is it so wrong to think that love can keep us safe?
  • Alex_CoeAlex_Coe Posts: 762
    Brant Bjork... he once was god, and now not so much.
  • The Who and Rollings Stones are still amazing. They just need someone to smack them around about their ticket prices...
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Yes, they were at their peek with MCIS, but they hadn't lost it at all after that. Adore is amazing, such beautiful songwriting. Machina is just as good to me.

I am very happy they're writing again.
    I agree. Adore and Machina (I and II) are mindblowing albums like all the Pumpkins' work. Bring on the new record.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    This thread is full of a lotta ignorance. sorry....
    Chris Cornell should hang it up. I know the guy is treated like he's some kind of god around here, but he's washed up. His cover of Michael Jackson was beyond lame and his James Bond song was pure shit. The guy should either get back with Soundgarden and do a greatest hits tour or retire.
  • Rapunzel64Rapunzel64 Posts: 129
    flea is one of the best bass players out there if not the best. john frusciante is one of the best guitarists out there and chad is a pretty nasty drummer.
    I saw them in concert about a week ago. John is amazing, but the performance by the band was really lame.
    THEY SHOULD JUST PLAY SMALL BAR VENUES .....
    I would love to see them in a small venue. I think this could be the solution.
  • Matty Boy wrote:
    Chris Cornell should hang it up. I know the guy is treated like he's some kind of god around here, but he's washed up. His cover of Michael Jackson was beyond lame and his James Bond song was pure shit. The guy should either get back with Soundgarden and do a greatest hits tour or retire.

no, son he isn't some kind of god around here. he IS god.

sorry you didn't get the amended bible that tenclub sent out...it was mailed at the same time as the holiday single.
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,140
    Todd76 wrote:
    Completely agree with all those choices - except Dylan, his last album was actually REALLY good

He can't even play guitar live anymore because of his arthritus. It's sad to watch Bob play a Casio keyboard these days.
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.  5-10-2024 Portland.  5-30-2024 Seattle.
    I'm sorry but Bob Dylan is awful live at this point unless you enjoy incoherent mumbling!! His last two studio albums have been 5 star material for people who live in retirement homes. It's a shame that Bob didn't retire after "Time Out Of Mind".
  • Meatloaf

amen to that. who the hell would want to sit through that spectacle of a show. the only fun part would be putting wagers on when the Loaf' would have a heart attack during the concert. i'd wager while trying to belt on "Paradise by the dashboard lights." i've got nothing against the man but he released the same single for Bat out of Hell 3 that he did for BOOH 2. who cares anymore?
  • direwolf74direwolf74 Posts: 1,622
    Matty Boy wrote:
    I'm sorry but Bob Dylan is awful live at this point unless you enjoy incoherent mumbling!! His last two studio albums have been 5 star material for people who live in retirement homes. It's a shame that Bob didn't retire after "Time Out Of Mind".

I totally disagree regarding your assessment of his last two records. "Love & Theft" and "Modern Times" are both brilliant.
    "I try my best to chug, stomp, weep, whisper, moan, wheeze, scat, blurt, rage, whine, and seduce. With my voice I can sound like a girl, the boogieman, a Theremin, a cherry bomb, a clown, a doctor, a murderer. I can be tribal. Ironic. Or disturbed. My voice is really my instrument."

-Tom Waits
  • SLH916SLH916 Posts: 132
    Rapunzel64 wrote:
    I saw them in concert about a week ago. John is amazing, but the performance by the band was really lame.

I would love to see them in a small venue. I think this could be the solution.

I think that they should stop touring. Anthony looks exhausted, and his voice really sounds ragged. I'm going to go ahead and say that Anthony is the reason that their show isn't better.

They should definitely be doing small clubs and touring a lot less.
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    aerosmith
    the who-if u can even call them that these days
    the rolling stones
    kiss
    black sabbath

anyone who says cornell should hang it up is outta there fucking mind
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I gotta disagree with Aerosmith. Saw them in 2005, and it was one of the best shows I've ever seen.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Milestone wrote:
    He can't even play guitar live anymore because of his arthritus. It's sad to watch Bob play a Casio keyboard these days.

ha ha ha
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    every band that has ever reformed. you know who im talking about.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • every band that has ever reformed. you know who im talking about.

reform or reunite?
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    reform or reunite?

yes.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • no, son he isn't some kind of god around here. he IS god.

sorry you didn't get the amended bible that tenclub sent out...it was mailed at the same time as the holiday single.

I got it. It's right there in Gossard 3:16: "Cornell is God." The unplugged is proof enough for me. its chilling its so good. If you don't appreciate his version of Billie Jean on it, I have no idea what your not liking. no idea......it kills
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown