Top 12 nineties bands

Comments

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    soclose wrote:
    I'd be interested to know how many people here still listen to the bands they loved DURING the nineties.

i still listen to ALL the bands i listened to in the 90s. in fact sometime is have trouble leaving the 90s. in fact im listening to HOLE as we speak. :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    i still listen to ALL the bands i listened to in the 90s. in fact sometime is have trouble leaving the 90s. :D

Me too, while in 10 years the kids these days will have to fess up for listening to Fall Out Boy, MCR, and total shit like that.........most of us 90's youth can admit to liking bands that are better than what is around today.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
    Me too, while in 10 years the kids these days will have to fess up for listening to Fall Out Boy, MCR, and total shit like that.........most of us 90's youth can admit to liking bands that are better than what is around today.

i wasnt a youth in the 90s. i started off the decade at 25 with 2 small daughters and ended it with 4 kids. but still the pull is strong. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    i wasnt a youth in the 90s. i started off the decade at 25 with 2 small daughters and ended it with 4 kids. but still the pull is strong. :)

Just as long as you dont listen to what is popular with youth today
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,137
    soclose wrote:
    I'd be interested to know how many people here still listen to the bands they loved DURING the nineties.
    I still listen to the bands I loved during the 90s. In fact, with only a few exceptions of newer bands, most of the music I listen to anymore is from the 90s.

my list:
    Pearl Jam
    Soundgarden
    Nirvana
    Alice In Chains
    Mudhoney
    Rage Against The Machine
    REM
    Ben Folds Five
    Smashing Pumpkins
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Blind Melon
    Foo Fighters
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    pearl jam
    soundgarden
    blink-182
    no doubt
    sublime
    dmb
    green day
    goo goo dolls
    korn
    the mighty mighty bosstones
    rhcp
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

i listen to a lot of music. whether its popular with today's youth, i dont really care. though i imagine there's some overlap. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Well I'm pretty sure every band I list will have been listed already but hey ho:)

Pearl Jam
    Nirvana
    Soundgarden
    Alice In Chains
    Screaming Trees
    Mark Lanegan
    Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Rancid
    Pantera
    King Prawn
    Radiohead
    NoFx

And to answer the question yes I still listen to all these bands on a regular basis, as well as a lot of bands who I had difficulty leaving of the list.:)
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    Pearl Jam
    Nirvana
    RATM
    RHCP
    Foo Fighters
    Oasis
    Incubus
    Our Lady Peace
    Smashing Pumpkins
    Green Day
    Live
    Guns n Roses
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    pearl jam
    dinosaur jr
    alice in chains
    smashing pumpkins
    radiohead
    tool
    modest mouse
    built to spill
    pavement
    kyuss
    soundgarden
    flaming lips

no particular order
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • This thread needs a Mercury Rev injection. I'm probably the only person in the world who likes Boces, though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiwNhizdwT8
  • NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,477
    COUNTING CROWS?!?!? are you serious? that band (along with the likes of Matchbox 20 and Third eye blind) represent everything that sucked about 90's "rock." as much as I'd like to jump on the bandwagon and diss pjoasisrules for his man love of the Gallagher brothers, it's hard to do that when you argue with him but then say that we're all idiots because we don't like counting crows. HAHAHA. COUNTING CROWS! my god in heaven.
    another music retard, a clue is out there!

get one

do you have any idea the respect the music community has for the amazing musicians in that band? also they're live shows are amazing.

you obviously have never heard live at Heineken hall. so go ahead continue your uneducated posts and lump them in with third eye blind.
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    NOCODE#1 wrote:

get one

do you have any idea the respect the music community has for the amazing musicians in that band? also they're live shows are amazing.

you obviously have never heard live at Heineken hall. so go ahead continue your uneducated posts and lump them in with third eye blind.

I'm not a big fan of the band, but i agree i would not lump them with matchbox 20, third eye blind, fuel etc

August and everything after is an album i actually really enjoyed. I heard other albums and they were okay. Counting crows don't even sniff my top 30 of the 90's though i'm pretty confident of that. They were not bad but just not top notch to me :)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • say_hisay_hi Posts: 312
    Morrissey
    Pavement
    Sonic Youth
    Elliott Smith
    Pearl Jam
    Blur
    Built To Spill

Everything else just annoyed me.....

:)
    4/30/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05, 5/4/06 (Letterman Mini-Concert), 5/5/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10
  • NickyNoochNickyNooch Posts: 629
    Off the top of my head...

Pearl Jam
    Nine Inch Nails
    Rancid
    Nirvana
    Green Day
    Primus
    Soundgarden
    Stone Temple Pilots
    Alice in Chains
    Rage Against the Machine
    NOFX
    REM

9/17/95-New Orleans,LA 8/14/00-New Orleans,LA 4/8/03-New Orleans,LA 4/13/03-Tampa,FL 10/8/04-Kissimmee,FL 8/5/07-Chicago,IL 6/16/08-Columbia,SC 6/23/09-(EV Solo)Atlanta,GA 5/1/10-New Orleans,LA 9/21/12-Pensacola,FL 11/1/13-New Orleans,LA 4/11/16-Tampa,FL  4/23/16-New Orleans,LA

• NickyNoochNickyNooch Posts: 629
    The Vacant wrote:
    Black Crowes
    Alice In Chains
    Gov't Mule (back when Woody was still shakig the venues)
    Soundgarden
    Big Sugar
    Alvin Youngblood Hart
    Corrosion of Conformity (Pepper Keenan era)
    Pearl Jam
    Page & Plant (they only toured together in the 90's)
    Kyuss
    Local H
    White Zombie

The Vacant... SOOOO MUCH props for mentioning Alvin Youngblood Hart. Such an underapreciated musician.

9/17/95-New Orleans,LA 8/14/00-New Orleans,LA 4/8/03-New Orleans,LA 4/13/03-Tampa,FL 10/8/04-Kissimmee,FL 8/5/07-Chicago,IL 6/16/08-Columbia,SC 6/23/09-(EV Solo)Atlanta,GA 5/1/10-New Orleans,LA 9/21/12-Pensacola,FL 11/1/13-New Orleans,LA 4/11/16-Tampa,FL  4/23/16-New Orleans,LA

• oppie1oppie1 Posts: 755
    so its ok to listen to whats popular with youth 10 years ago... man.. i bet you sound just like your parents

i really hope i run into you at a show one day
    BoyHitsCar Masked Street Team
    www.lovecorealliance.com

Upcoming boyhitscar concerts:
    11/7/07 - Allentown Pa
    11/11/07 - Hartford Ct

www.myspace.com/briankutys
    You make a list then smartass
    I dont listen to much 90's music as i used to..cuz honestly.. my tastes have changed

but the ones i do listen to are

1. PJ
    2. boyhitscar (technically they've been around since 1997, and i first heard of them in 1999)
    3. Stabbing Westward
    4. Deftones
    5. Filter
    6. Tool
    7. AiC
    8. Korn (up until the Issues album.. everything after that has been so lackluster)
    9. RATM
    www.lovecorealliance.com

11/7/07 - Allentown Pa
    11/11/07 - Hartford Ct

oppie1 wrote:
    so its ok to listen to whats popular with youth 10 years ago... man.. i bet you sound just like your parents

i really hope i run into you at a show one day

What was popular then is good, most of what is popular now is terrible. You wont run into me at a show because we dont have the same taste in music.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

What was popular then is good, most of what is popular now is terrible. You wont run into me at a show because we dont have the same taste in music.
    i dont listen to bands just because they're "popular" or "trendy" i listen to bands because i like their sound... there are bands in the same genre's of bands that i like, that i dont like or can't stand listening to...
    for instance..i really love In Flames, but have a hard time liking Goijira

uhm... and yeah.. we ARE on a PJ message board, so we do share the same fav band. and i DO travel the country to go to shows....

there are alot of bands that were popular then that weren't good, looking back now.. they're called one-hit wonders
    Oasis
    Gin Blossoms
    Collective Soul
    Vertical Horizon

just because they had one song played on the radio, never makes them good
    www.lovecorealliance.com

11/7/07 - Allentown Pa
    11/11/07 - Hartford Ct

oppie1 wrote:
    i dont listen to bands just because they're "popular" or "trendy" i listen to bands because i like their sound... there are bands in the same genre's of bands that i like, that i dont like or can't stand listening to...
    for instance..i really love In Flames, but have a hard time liking Goijira

uhm... and yeah.. we ARE on a PJ message board, so we do share the same fav band. and i DO travel the country to go to shows....

there are alot of bands that were popular then that weren't good, looking back now.. they're called one-hit wonders
    Oasis
    Gin Blossoms
    Collective Soul
    Vertical Horizon

I dont listen to music because it is popular either, it just happens to be that the popular music then was really good. By the way, three of those bands you mentioned all have multiple hits and I have never even heard of Vertical Horizon
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• TwatayTwatay Posts: 64
    fada wrote:
    1 Ocean Colour Scene
    2 Oasis
    3 Pearl Jam
    4 Manic Street Preachers
    5 Kula Shaker
    6 Blind Melon
    7 Paul Weller
    8 The Verve
    9 Foo Fighters
    10 Travis
    11 Radiohead
    12 The black crowes

this is the worst list i've read so far.
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    NOCODE#1 wrote:

get one

no I've never heard Heineken Hall. but i have seen them live (with the band Live) and they sucked dick. it was all lame whiny pop/rock bullshit.

anyway I can't waste any more time talking about a lame band like Counting Crows. I just mentioned how much I think they suck because I didn't care much for this comment by you:
    NOCODE#1 wrote:

the fact that counting crows isnt on any list points out that all of the posters in this thread are complete idiots.

maybe the fact that no one put Counting Crows on their list if because they suck. if you like them, that's fine. put them on your list. but don't call everyone "complete idiots" because we don't like them.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Pearl Jam
    Radiohead
    Tool
    Alice in Chains
    Nirvana
    Stone Temple Pilots
    The Black Crowes
    Sublime
    Soundgarden
    Smashing Pumpkins
    REM
    Rage Against The Machine
    If money is the root of all evil, then how come most religions ask for so much of it from their followers?
  • Blind MelonBlind Melon Posts: 911
    Incubus
    Radiohead
    Modest Mouse
    Deftones
    Tool
    Pearl Jam
    Foo Fighters
    Nine Inch Nails
    Rage Against the Machine
    The Smashing Pumpkins
    Weezer
    Jon Spencer Blues Explosion
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • PJ
    NIN
    Tool
    Tea Party
    Tragically Hip
    STP
    Opeth
    Type O Negative
    Soundgarden
    Ween
    Clutch
    Tripping Daisy
  • LiftedLifted Posts: 1,836
    oppie1 wrote:

Oasis
    Gin Blossoms
    Collective Soul
    Vertical Horizon

first of all don't use radio airplay to talk about how good or bad a band is. there are a lot of great bands who aren't played on mainstream radio at all, and one of the great bands of the 90's, blind melon, is considered a one-hit wonder, because yes they only had one hit. doesn't matter though....anyway putting oasis on your list of one-hit wonders just further proves your ignorance. you, along with a lot of other people on this board may not like oasis, and i'm not gonna get into that but they are far from a one-hit wonder.....lets see here........
    live forever
    supersonic
    cigarettes and alcohol
    wonderwall
    don't look back in anger
    roll with it
    some might say
    stand by me
    d'ya know what i mean
    don't go away
    go let it out
    hindu times
    lyla
    alright well i proved my point. all of these may not have been hits in the states but they were all huge in england, and i'm sure some other countries. i can however recall hearing 8 of those songs more than a few times on the radio here in the us of a. and while i'll admit a lot of oasis fans think a little too highly of their band, they don't deserve to be lumped into the same category as vertical horizon and the gin blossoms (who i enjoy occassionally but were nothing more than a descent bar band)
  • 1 pearl jam
    2 soundgarden
    3 rage against the machine
    4 stone temple pilots
    5 alice in chains
    6 radiohead
    7 nirvana
    8 tool
    9 sublime
    10 dave matthews band
    11 our lady peace
    12 queens of the stone age (first album is their only one from the 90s but it fucking rules)
  • how come nobody's mentioned sonic youth... these guys will eat out any band every one has posted on here. even pearl jam's.
    This isn't the land of opportunity, it's the land of competition.
  • pearljam0000pearljam0000 Posts: 450
    how come nobody's mentioned sonic youth... these guys will eat out any band every one has posted on here. even pearl jam's.

Well that's a strange thing to say.