Who else thinks Led Zeppelin reunion will SUCK...

Comments

• Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    " suck " is such a strong word.

When we think of a Led Zepelin Reunion , i think all or many of our sentimental sides come out ,
    this will not be Led Zeppelin of The Song Remains The Same or How The West Was Won eras ,
    but many of us will be drawn to this event- should it indeed happen--to see how the boys have aged and to see the remaining 3 guys together onstage again , even with that gaping void behind the drumkit.
    Ironically enough flashback to TSRTS ( hey at MSG no less- gotta love the security guards letting the kids in the side doors ) and Jason Bonham is but a little grasshopper in that film, its both sad and ironic that he will be replacing the heartbeat of the band, Bonzo.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • MojopinMojopin Posts: 216
    "A consistently good band works all the different elements well. A song has to appeal sentimentally, intellectually, physically, viscerally, and dig deep down into your soul and suck you into it. And after that, of course, it'd be a matter of taste." ~ Kim Thayil from Soundgarden
  • webberf1 wrote:
    or at least be nowhere near as great as the hype? Don't get me wrong, im a huge fan of LZ and love their albums... but surely they will be FAR from their best on the night. For starters, there is no John Bonham, the man who can take huge credit for electrifying the audiences in their earlier days. Robert Plant's voice pales in comparison to what it once was. And considering they havent played live in so long, the Pagey-Jonesy combo will be nowhere near as tight as youd hope to anticipate.

I think it will be ok, but nowhere near worth the loads of $$$ for the tickets.

IT WILL SUCK BECAUSE I WONT BE THERE. ;)
  • I think they will sound like shit to be honest. They haven't played together in so long they will be really rusty.
  • writersuwritersu Posts: 1,867
    webberf1 wrote:
    or at least be nowhere near as great as the hype? Don't get me wrong, im a huge fan of LZ and love their albums... but surely they will be FAR from their best on the night. For starters, there is no John Bonham, the man who can take huge credit for electrifying the audiences in their earlier days. Robert Plant's voice pales in comparison to what it once was. And considering they havent played live in so long, the Pagey-Jonesy combo will be nowhere near as tight as youd hope to anticipate.

I think it will be ok, but nowhere near worth the loads of $$$ for the tickets.

I do. I just watched AliceCooper this am in a concert clip on comcast and he was singing "school's out" and he had like jiggly jowls. I am so bummed that WE~ALL~ ALL~ Get old!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I really wanted to believe that some people don't
    well, at least Steven Tyler doesn't seem to yet-he got better(?).

I have seen the pictures of Robert Plant and he is older looking than Moses in the Ten Commandments movie...........right? Or is he Moses??????

But hell, yes, Robert Plant when he was young, shirtless, with bell bottoms and full of sex, he was a hottie........

I am soooooooo confused.

But I do hope his new tour and album with that Krauss chick does well enough for him to get the number of Steven Tyler's plastic surgeon.....
    Baby, You Wouldn't Last a Minute on The Creek......

Together we will float like angels.........

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • hippiemomhippiemom Posts: 3,326
    I'm glad I saw them when I did, because even if I could go to this I wouldn't, it's not going to be the same. It may suck, but it may also be very good .... it may even be great. But it's not going to be the sort of epic, magical, "oh my god, what did we just see?" kind of performance that we got way back when, and THAT is what I want to remember.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
  • writersuwritersu Posts: 1,867
    hippiemom wrote:
    I'm glad I saw them when I did, because even if I could go to this I wouldn't, it's not going to be the same. It may suck, but it may also be very good .... it may even be great. But it's not going to be the sort of epic, magical, "oh my god, what did we just see?" kind of performance that we got way back when, and THAT is what I want to remember.

Yes, I agree that sometimes it is better to keep certain things in our memory...
    Baby, You Wouldn't Last a Minute on The Creek......

Together we will float like angels.........

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    writersu wrote:
    Yes, I agree that sometimes it is better to keep certain things in our memory...
    I agree, but it doesn't mean the show won't be good. I saw Plant at HOB with PJ in 05 and he was awesome. Will they be the same as they were in 70 - no. Is PJ the same as in 91 - no. It is different but not less imo. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • webberf1webberf1 Posts: 160
    wolfbear wrote:
    I agree, but it doesn't mean the show won't be good. I saw Plant at HOB with PJ in 05 and he was awesome. Will they be the same as they were in 70 - no. Is PJ the same as in 91 - no. It is different but not less imo. :)
    Dude theres a big difference in your analogy there. PJ are BETTER than they were in 91. LZ on the other hand cannot conceivably be better now than what they were in the early days.
    webberf1 wrote:
    Dude theres a big difference in your analogy there. PJ are BETTER than they were in 91. LZ on the other hand cannot conceivably be better now than what they were in the early days.
    How do you know? They aren't the same but in some ways they might be better. :) Keep an open mind. ;)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
    wolfbear wrote:
    How do you know? They aren't the same but in some ways they might be better. :) Keep an open mind. ;)
    Better without Bonzo??? No disrespect to his son but ..... um ...... no.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." ~ MLK, 1963
    hippiemom wrote:
    Better without Bonzo??? No disrespect to his son but ..... um ...... no.
    Yep, you can't go back in time. ;) You can go forward though. :) Hi btw. Hope you're doing well and I miss chatting with you. :)
    wolfbear wrote:
    Yep, you can't go back in time. ;) You can go forward though. :) Hi btw. Hope you're doing well and I miss chatting with you. :)
    Drop me a line anytime :) Now that I've got the laptop I can get online a lot more often.
  • BeavBeav Posts: 223
    I'm worried about Page more than anything. His guitar work has gone waaay downhill in the last 15 or so years. The Heartbreaker solo was laughable with the Black Crowes. Plant on the other hand I think has learned to control his voice much better in recent years and not try to hit notes he can't hit anymore. I'd still shell out the cash to see this show if it were closer.
    "Sooner or later you'll bare your teeth"
    www.myspace.com/volinic
    www.myspace.com/zane26 (band)
  • "To be a rock and not to roll"

A whole song about LOTR ("Ramble On")

Thats not exactly Springsteen, Vedder, Dylan or Waits now, is it?

Okay, we can quote shitty lyrics from Springsteen and Vedder all fuckin day. I'm not even gonna bother though. Every band has lyrics that seem dumb, especially when reading them on a message board and not hearing them sung with the music.
  • JamnPearl wrote:
    I think they will sound like shit to be honest. They haven't played together in so long they will be really rusty.
    Y'know bands rehearse before shows, especially very large reunion shows. This is so huge, they're not going to go up there and make fools of themselves.
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    JaneNY wrote:
    I'm afraid I think this; maybe not suck, but not live up to the hype, the way it was with the police. I am old enough to have seen Zeppelin when they were still together but my parents wouldn't let me. Some things can't be recreated IMO. I hope its good, for those that will be going but I'd rather go see a bunch more young bands that are way cheaper.

Well, if this is anything like the Police reunion than its going to be awesome! I thought the Police sounded amazing. I couldn't believe how polished they sounded. Sting's voice is out of control strong/good and I didn't know it before, but Andy Summers is an absolutely mesmerizing guitarist. I'd see them again in a second. I can only hope the Zep show/reunion will be as good.

Personally, I don't think it will be (especially without Bonzo). I think Page will be great, and also JPJ. I'm just worried about Plant. I just can't imagine he can hit the notes like he used too. But hopefully they realize that they can't do the stuff they used, and play songs that they can still do really well, as opposed to trying to be exactly the same. I think if they play what works for them now, as opposed to doing exactly what they used to, the show still has the potential to be awesome.
    My opinion, their lyrics are awful, often to the point of hilarity. Many of their riffs are lifted from other songs and although they are talented musicians, I feel they are highly overrated.

Some of the lyrics aren't great, but I'd say thats true for most lyricists. Plus, Plant has his own style. Its not for everyone, but I definitely don't think all his lyrics are awful. There are some songs where they are great. He sang about folklore and stuff, but that was his thing, doesn't make it bad.

And about the riffs, the only riffs that were "lifted" was early stuff. And, it was generally on the bluesier stuff, because that's how the blues have almost always been played, and wasn't that much. It was basically just generous influence. You take someone else's stuff, and make it your own. And Zepp did just that. They made it their own, and took the music to levels it never would have reached otherwise. And lets be honest, the majority of their music is 100% theirs, and it is some of the best and most influential rock music of all time.

In my opinion (and I'm sure I'm not alone) they are the best rock and roll band of all time.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    I didn't think HOB 05 versions of Thank You and Fool in the rain sucked. Why should this?

eddie helped on fool in the rain, and thank you isn't exactly a vocal achievement... a great great song... yes.

immigrant song? rock n roll? heartbreaker? those are the songs in question
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • It would be the greatest thing ever if Led Zeppelin came back 25 years later and still put on an incredible show. I think everyone will be in top form, Jimmy's guitar playing got worse but I'm sure he can play like he did in the 70s if he works hard enough to get his chops back. He got worse in the late Zeppelin days because he was strung out on heroin and a paranoid mess. Plant won't be the old Plant but he'll be good enough I think, he'll definitely leave it all out there since its a one-off show. John Paul Jones...the dude is a rock, no reason to worry about him, I guarantee you he's just as good or better now than he was in the Zeppelin days because that's the kind of musician he is. Jason Bonham...whatever. I really do think they'll do a great job though, I can't wait to hopefully hear a good quality bootleg of this show.
  • led zeppelin shits on your favorite band. period.

i'm curious about the reunion, not thinking that it's the greatest shit in the history of the world, but it will be cool to see how far into the bag they reach. hopefully they have the 30 minute acoustic set right in the fucking middle of the show, like the old days. that would be great.

i'm more interested in seeing robert plant and his new band, the strange sensation, preferably in a small theater. they are technically as good as zeppelin, they don't have the charisma and all the other youthful intangibles, but they are seriously top fucking notch musicians (worldly geetarists, portishead drummer/keyboardist... can't beat it.). amazing, amazing stuff. completely reworks zep classics.

anyone that denies zeppelin is a fucking shithead. no respect given. go suck on yer shitty favorite band. i'm sure they suck. it's probably Oasis.
  • NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,309
    why is everyone freaking out about bonzo not being on drums??? aside from the fact that, yes, he was an insanely important part of the band...musically, a 60 year old bonzo would not be as good as his son, who is a good drummer. page can still play. JPJ can still play FOR SURE. saw him solo twice in the past few years...he's insane. plant wont hit the high notes, but he never did after january '73 anyways. it'll be a great moment, and thats all its supposed to be.
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • MojopinMojopin Posts: 216
    led zeppelin shits on your favorite band. period.

i'm curious about the reunion, not thinking that it's the greatest shit in the history of the world, but it will be cool to see how far into the bag they reach. hopefully they have the 30 minute acoustic set right in the fucking middle of the show, like the old days. that would be great.

i'm more interested in seeing robert plant and his new band, the strange sensation, preferably in a small theater. they are technically as good as zeppelin, they don't have the charisma and all the other youthful intangibles, but they are seriously top fucking notch musicians (worldly geetarists, portishead drummer/keyboardist... can't beat it.). amazing, amazing stuff. completely reworks zep classics.

anyone that denies zeppelin is a fucking shithead. no respect given. go suck on yer shitty favorite band. i'm sure they suck. it's probably Oasis.

Honestly, I don't think I could have said it much better.

Mojo
    "A consistently good band works all the different elements well. A song has to appeal sentimentally, intellectually, physically, viscerally, and dig deep down into your soul and suck you into it. And after that, of course, it'd be a matter of taste." ~ Kim Thayil from Soundgarden
  • BeavBeav Posts: 223
    After just hearing about Page fracturing his finger I'm really starting to worry about what he's going to sound like. I think he'll be ok on the riffs and chords but I think the solos have a good chance of sucking. Oh well. I'm still very anxious to hear how it goes.
    "Sooner or later you'll bare your teeth"
    www.myspace.com/volinic
    www.myspace.com/zane26 (band)
  • anyone that denies zeppelin is a fucking shithead. no respect given. go suck on yer shitty favorite band. i'm sure they suck. it's probably Oasis.

Wow, so if someone doesn't like Led Zeppelin they must like Oasis? Yeah, that makes sense. I find it ironic that you're posting this on the message board of the band that you claim Led Zeppelin "shits on". Frankly I'm glad you think I'm a "shithead" because the judgment of someone that listens to such shit is obviously subject.
  • bharQ wrote:
    eddie helped on fool in the rain, and thank you isn't exactly a vocal achievement... a great great song... yes.

immigrant song? rock n roll? heartbreaker? those are the songs in question

Plant's voice changed in 1972. People think the change took place before In through the out door and it was one way before, and one way after. He could scream and sing very high pitch in 1972 and prior. Then, from 1973 through 1977, he had a richer, deeper voice, not able to hit the 1972 and prior highs. Then, there was a period from 1978 through about 1983 where it was lower. Fast forwarding to now, his voice has returned to how it was on Presence. Some of you may argue with me about these dates saying, he screamed on Physical Graffiti in 1974/1975, and you may quote songs like Boogie with Stu, Houses of the Holy, and Night Flight. Look at the credits. A bunch of Physical Graffiti songs were outtakes from Led Zep 4. And the song, Houses of the Holy was supposed to be on Houses of the holy(1972). In anticipating the show coming up, and how Plant will sound on very early songs, consider how he would have performed them on the 1977 tour. Hey- listen to a 1972 live performance of Over the hills and far away. Then, listen to a 1973 version. He can't hit it in 1973 so he totally changed how the chorus is sung. You'll see that in the Re-Issue Song remains the same soundtrack. I've been to recent Plant shows, where he did 4Sticks, Babe I'm Going to Leave you, Hey Hey What Can I do, Whole Lotta Love, Going to Calif. The crowd crapped their shorts. It was great. Where his voice sort of failed was at Knebworth, 1979. See it on the Zep DVD. His voice is much better than that right now. I don't think Plant's voice will be an issue. However, if you expect Communication Breakdown sung as it was in 1969, change your expectations.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Wow, so if someone doesn't like Led Zeppelin they must like Oasis? Yeah, that makes sense. I find it ironic that you're posting this on the message board of the band that you claim Led Zeppelin "shits on". Frankly I'm glad you think I'm a "shithead" because the judgment of someone that listens to such shit is obviously subject.

of course led zeppelin shits on pearl jam. duh. ask any member of pj and they would agree. at least they better.

you are a fucking tool that has heard the same old 6 led zeppelin songs on the radio for the umpteenth funcking billionth time. check out the deep tracks, "hats off to roy harper", "i'm gonna crawl", "down by the seaside", "black country woman,"... that kinda stuff... where zeppelin's legend is sealed in a thousand tons of uncrackable concrete.

the beatles can barely outmatch zep, and the rolling stones have long ago knealt at their feet. the who never even came close. and no band younger than 30 years old can think of competing until their catalog has aged and gone through another generation or two. then we will talk.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,851
    its simple
    We know plants voice is shot, so that wont be great
    Jason will basically replicate his fathers beats, so that should be a non factor
    JPJ wil bring what he always did

its all about page, if he can still play those solos, then it should be great
    if he cant, then it wont sound good at all
  • NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,309
    Plant's voice changed in 1972. People think the change took place before In through the out door and it was one way before, and one way after. He could scream and sing very high pitch in 1972 and prior. Then, from 1973 through 1977, he had a richer, deeper voice, not able to hit the 1972 and prior highs. Then, there was a period from 1978 through about 1983 where it was lower. Fast forwarding to now, his voice has returned to how it was on Presence. Some of you may argue with me about these dates saying, he screamed on Physical Graffiti in 1974/1975, and you may quote songs like Boogie with Stu, Houses of the Holy, and Night Flight. Look at the credits. A bunch of Physical Graffiti songs were outtakes from Led Zep 4. And the song, Houses of the Holy was supposed to be on Houses of the holy(1972). In anticipating the show coming up, and how Plant will sound on very early songs, consider how he would have performed them on the 1977 tour. Hey- listen to a 1972 live performance of Over the hills and far away. Then, listen to a 1973 version. He can't hit it in 1973 so he totally changed how the chorus is sung. You'll see that in the Re-Issue Song remains the same soundtrack. I've been to recent Plant shows, where he did 4Sticks, Babe I'm Going to Leave you, Hey Hey What Can I do, Whole Lotta Love, Going to Calif. The crowd crapped their shorts. It was great. Where his voice sort of failed was at Knebworth, 1979. See it on the Zep DVD. His voice is much better than that right now. I don't think Plant's voice will be an issue. However, if you expect Communication Breakdown sung as it was in 1969, change your expectations.

this person knows what they are talking about. i, personally, would put the date of the voice change at january '73, where he got deathly sick for a week and they canceled a bunch of shows. when he came back, his voice was changed forever. of course, thats when the band, musically, was at its best (the euro '73 tour). 3/22/73 comes to mind right away as shit hot.

i've only seen plant once solo, when he opened for the who. he was in strong form. seen JPJ twice solo, and he killed. he is one of the best musicians around. saw page/plant once, and they were damn good. saw page/crowes as well, and that was a fun show. the show will rock, people. anyone doubting this is surely crazy. please, allow the zep experts like Veddernarian or myself to do the critical analysis of the band...
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • smile05smile05 Posts: 600
    SUCK,dont think so,far to good/legends to suck

Just imagine the year 2032,when vedder,gossard,ament,mccready anounce a comeback tour

hopefully they will never stop in the first place & that MC never leaves but can you see where im coming from.
    1:Black 2:Corduroy 3:All Those Yesterdays 4:I Got ID 5:Smile

They can buy but cant put on my clothes
    Throw down my ace in the hole~~~~~~

Let's go for three in a row, no sorry i can't think of anything thats not funny. - Paul Merton

London96,Manchester00,Berlin06,London07
  • Wow, excellent spelling, you've really know how to prove a funcking point, I kneal down before you, lol.
    Honestly I would not be surprised if the boys would concede to several other bands before Led Zep (The Ramones for one) not to mention as it is they are some of the most humble musicians (they opened for Tom Petty for God's sake) so thats a pretty weak rooted argument. I've heard a tremendous amount of their back catalog, but its irrelevant because thats not the shit they're known for anyway. I guarantee you most folks identify Led Zep with the "get the led out" block on their clear channel classic rock station and not those tracks mentioned. You are in fact, a tool. Please go hang out with all the other losers who think Rock music peaked in the 70's in your mom's basement. Also, try passing high school English.
    of course led zeppelin shits on pearl jam. duh. ask any member of pj and they would agree. at least they better.

you are a fucking tool that has heard the same old 6 led zeppelin songs on the radio for the umpteenth funcking billionth time. check out the deep tracks, "hats off to roy harper", "i'm gonna crawl", "down by the seaside", "black country woman,"... that kinda stuff... where zeppelin's legend is sealed in a thousand tons of uncrackable concrete.

the beatles can barely outmatch zep, and the rolling stones have long ago knealt at their feet. the who never even came close. and no band younger than 30 years old can think of competing until their catalog has aged and gone through another generation or two. then we will talk.