Who else thinks Led Zeppelin reunion will SUCK...

webberf1webberf1 Posts: 160
edited December 2007 in Other Music
or at least be nowhere near as great as the hype? Don't get me wrong, im a huge fan of LZ and love their albums... but surely they will be FAR from their best on the night. For starters, there is no John Bonham, the man who can take huge credit for electrifying the audiences in their earlier days. Robert Plant's voice pales in comparison to what it once was. And considering they havent played live in so long, the Pagey-Jonesy combo will be nowhere near as tight as youd hope to anticipate.

I think it will be ok, but nowhere near worth the loads of $$$ for the tickets.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Matty BoyMatty Boy Posts: 421
    Page and Jonesy will be killer but Plant's voice will be fucked on the more hard rocking songs.
  • BLASPHEMERS!

oh ye of little faith, cast not thou doubts upon the exaulted tri-head of god, hitherto known as Plant-Jonesy-Page...for thou wilt be smote with the hard resounding thunder of "black dog" pouring forth from the holy one...thou hast been warned.
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • webberf1webberf1 Posts: 160
    Matty Boy wrote:
    Page and Jonesy will be killer but Plant's voice will be fucked on the more hard rocking songs.
    yeah i was kind of thinking the same, the best part will be pagey/jonesy
  • I think it is something you would want to see so you could say you were there, as much as for the concert itself.
    The wind is blowing cold
    Have we lost our way tonight?
    Have we lost our hope to sorrow?

Feels like were all alone
    Running further from what’s right
    And there are no more heroes to follow

So what are we becoming?
    Where did we go wrong?
  • My hip...my hip
    And I'm not living this life without you, I'm selfish and clear
    And you're not leaving here without me, I don't wanna be without
    My best... friend. Wake up, to see you could have it all
  • JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I'm afraid I think this; maybe not suck, but not live up to the hype, the way it was with the police. I am old enough to have seen Zeppelin when they were still together but my parents wouldn't let me. Some things can't be recreated IMO. I hope its good, for those that will be going but I'd rather go see a bunch more young bands that are way cheaper.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • I don't have too much faith for it, but you know there will prob be a Dvd or cd so we will see.
  • MojopinMojopin Posts: 216
    webberf1 wrote:
    Who else thinks Led Zeppelin reunion will suck...

Honestly, I would hope not many throughout this world. DO you honestly think anyone else nowadays will even be remembered like they are now 30 years from now? Has anyone even come close to hitting the highs they hit back in the day in the last 30 years or so? I think not...

So I'll take whatever they are willing to put together at this stage.

Mojo
    "A consistently good band works all the different elements well. A song has to appeal sentimentally, intellectually, physically, viscerally, and dig deep down into your soul and suck you into it. And after that, of course, it'd be a matter of taste." ~ Kim Thayil from Soundgarden
  • bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,845
    They are a cover band to me. If I went to this show, would I feel like I saw Led Zeppelin? Not at all. If this was 3 years after Bonham died, then yeah, but they took a 25 year break. 25 years. That is too long.
  • I thought they sucked pretty bad the first time around, honestly.
  • s'all good
    Life reveals what is dealt through seasons
    Circle comes around each time
  • VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,924
    I didn't think HOB 05 versions of Thank You and Fool in the rain sucked. Why should this?
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Well, I didn't have any wish to go but then I was lucky enough to see them in the 70s (I have to put up with being old now, though, lol, so don't be jealous).

Usually I can't see the point of big band reunions. I suppose one-offs for charity are fair enough but not the big reunion tours....there's seldom any artistic value in it. It's just a kind of rock-star pension plan I suppose.

I loved Plant's "Mighty ReArranger" album - I thought that was wonderfully creative and exciting and had new things to say. Also the inventive ways he re-jigged old Zep material for his solo shows rather than trying to reproduce the way it was originally done. But this...meh.
    www.myspace.com/clareobrienwright
    www.chriscornell.org.uk
  • I definitely think it'll sound a hell of a lot better than the last reunions.
  • webberf1 wrote:
    or at least be nowhere near as great as the hype? Don't get me wrong, im a huge fan of LZ and love their albums... but surely they will be FAR from their best on the night. For starters, there is no John Bonham, the man who can take huge credit for electrifying the audiences in their earlier days. Robert Plant's voice pales in comparison to what it once was. And considering they havent played live in so long, the Pagey-Jonesy combo will be nowhere near as tight as youd hope to anticipate.

I think it will be ok, but nowhere near worth the loads of $$$ for the tickets.

Plants voice kicked ass in 98 when I saw them, and they did 95% Zeppelin. His recordings earlier in the ninety weren't as strong, so I was surprised it absolutely fucking nailed it. Since then I've seen him on Austin City Limits after Dreamland and he was as good as anytime he's ever been recorded. Dreamland and Mighty Rearanger are the best of his solo careers. May be found a way to get his voice back, compared to the 80s and 90s.

BLASPHEMERS!

oh ye of little faith, cast not thou doubts upon the exaulted tri-head of god, hitherto known as Plant-Jonesy-Page...for thou wilt be smote with the hard resounding thunder of "black dog" pouring forth from the holy one...thou hast been warned.

LMAO.... Exactly.... Its like HOLY FUCK, its LED ZEPPELIN!!!!! I'm pumped about it, reading all these threads.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • Beck..Beck.. Posts: 535
    It sucks i didnt get a ticket!
  • Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    I think if these guys are bustin their asses to play one show, it will be amazing. If there's gonna be a tour after this, I hope they take proper time between shows. If they don't, it would surely be a disaster. Old guys gotta rest.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I think its lookin more and more like there is gonna be a tour. I think they are just waitin to announce it.
  • too busy sucking something else during the 70s i presume?

Thats A. Sophomoric and B. Factually inaccurate as I was not even imagined until 1982. My opinion, their lyrics are awful, often to the point of hilarity. Many of their riffs are lifted from other songs and although they are talented musicians, I feel they are highly overrated.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    BLASPHEMERS!

You missed the fourth head.
    Guy named Bonham.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    It will only be good if Puff Daddy joins Jimmy Page onstage for a live version of that song they did several years back..you know, the one with the Kashmir riff in it...that's the only way this show will live up to the hype.
  • I was not even imagined until 1982. My opinion, their lyrics are awful, often to the point of hilarity. Many of their riffs are lifted from other songs and although they are talented musicians, I feel they are highly overrated.
    A child of the 80s wouldn't understand like a child of the 90s would. The lyrics are damn good, don't know what you've been listening to. And Page revolutionized the guitar.
    Life reveals what is dealt through seasons
    Circle comes around each time
  • The lyrics are damn good, don't know what you've been listening to.

"To be a rock and not to roll"

A whole song about LOTR ("Ramble On")

Thats not exactly Springsteen, Vedder, Dylan or Waits now, is it?
  • eclecticeclectic Posts: 244
    It will disappoint to some degree I feel.
    'All the rusted signs,we ignore throughout our lives,
    Choosing the shiny ones instead'

Reading 06 - Torino 06 - Wembley 07
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    "To be a rock and not to roll"

As compared to a whole song about a cannabalistic bus driver ("Dirty Frank").

Thats not exactly Springsteen, Plant, Dylan or Townsend now, is it?
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • surferdude wrote:
    As compared to a whole song about a cannabalistic bus driver ("Dirty Frank").

Thats not exactly Springsteen, Plant, Dylan or Townsend now, is it?

Yeah, "Dirty Frank" was initially released on an import and was later released on an outtakes and b-sides collection. And honestly I would rather have an obviously whimsical song like that than overwrought shit that takes itself seriously (most of what Plant has written).
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    Yeah, "Dirty Frank" was initially released on an import and was later released on an outtakes and b-sides collection. And honestly I would rather have an obviously whimsical song like that than overwrought shit that takes itself seriously (most of what Plant has written).
    As a lyricist I'll take Vedder over Plant but he's not quite up there with the all time greats in my opinion but pretty damn close. He tries to get too clever with words sometimes (as in Bushleaguer) for my tastes rather than letting the idea be clever.

Plant got better with time. Over time I think Vedder's gotten more hit and miss.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • "To be a rock and not to roll"

You know, Plant eventually did become a good lyricist.

Have you ever heard...oh, I don't know...
    Kashmir?
    Ten years Gone?
    Achilles Last Stand?
    That's the Way?
    Fool In the Rain?
    All My Love?
    Going to California?
    ANYTHING off of Mighty Rearranger???

All of those have some pretty terrific lyrics.
    Maybe singing about folklore doesn't fly these days, but Plant, I feel, worked very hard to improve at his craft knowing that his lyrics in the early days were the weakness of Zeppelin...you are being a little close-mended.

And on an overall note - music, lyrics, arrangement - how could ANYONE not love The Rain Song??
    What I Should Have Said...Was Nothing.
  • Plant got better with time. Over time I think Vedder's gotten more hit and miss.[/quote]

Shit, I'll even agree with this statement to a certain extent.
    What I Should Have Said...Was Nothing.
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    I feel they are highly overrated.

dude are you kidding me? you a retard. omg its led zepelan, the hardest band in the world to spell!! they are godlike.

just kidding. i think they're so ridiculously overrated. their OK.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • MojopinMojopin Posts: 216
    Put this in your pipe...

Led Zeppelin Save The World

... because your kid deserves 'Kashmir' as a ring tone. Hey, at least it's not the Beatles.

By Mark Morford, SF Gate Columnist
    Friday, October 19, 2007

There's this moment in "The Song Remains the Same", the often wildly cheesy yet still utterly groin-tingling epic 1976 Led Zeppelin concert film/fantasia where a reed-thin, black-clad, heavily sequined Jimmy Page is so violently, violating his Les Paul with a shredded violin bow it sounds like demons f-ing in a hurricane.

Meanwhile, Robert Plant is swaggering in skin-tight bell-bottoms and stack-heel boots and a massive mane of blond curls with his spine arched so far back and his bulge so prominent it surely inspired a million fertility rites, as late Zep drummer John Bonham beats the meaning of life out of his kit and bassist/keyboardist John Paul Jones looks like Jesus rising from the dead and pretty much the entire sold-out Madison Square Garden crowd is lost in some sort of deep mystical hard-rock trance the memory of which will certainly be burned deep into their very cells forevermore.

If you've seen this concert footage, you know. It is I have to say, one of those images, one of those seminal moments in recorded music history where it does not matter what your gender or what your age or what level of teenage sexual neurosis you might've suffered back then.

Because if you claim to enjoy hard rock music in the slightest, you witness something like this and the divine forces of sex and god and fire and electricity all come together to stab you straight in the gut of your id, and suddenly it all makes some sort of perfect cosmic rock 'n' roll sense and you go oh oh OH, THIS is how it's supposed to be.

Call it the Rock God Moment, that epiphanic instant where you cannot help but recognize that what you are witnessing is not merely special, not merely unspeakably cool, not just fist-pumpingly righteous. It is downright otherworldly. It is beyond your ability to fully comprehend because, well, it is not of this existence. It's just that good.

This all comes to mind (and groin) as news slides down the wire that the remaining members of the mighty Zep have finally agreed to release their entire back catalog for digital download, and have also signed with Verizon to release the whole monster package as a big pile of ring tones. Yeah, I know, whatever and who really cares and oh great, just what we need, a bunch of aging Boomers beeping out "Black Dog" on their RAZRs at Whole Foods. Yeesh.

But wait, it gets better. Far more importantly, the remaining members of Zep have actually decided to reunite after 25 years for an epic one-off charity concert in honor of the late Ahmet Ertegun, founder of Zep's one and only label, Atlantic Records.

Do you hear that? That deep, bone-rattling roar? That's the sound of thunder, clapping.

But perhaps you are still like, "So?" Perhaps you are yawning and turning up your Maroon 5 or your Linkin Park or your tepid little Colbie Caillat and muttering, "Led what? Who cares?"

You are a child and an imp and a fool. But that's not me talking, its the sheer numbers. See, it seems the concert announcement sparked something of a stampede, with over 1 million fans registering for a chance at one of 10,000 Zep concert tickets. But even more astonishing: The charity Web site promoting the concert itself logged a staggering 1 billion hits ... in a single week.

That's not just popular. That's not merely a wave of swell Boomer nostalgia. That's something else entirely.

I think it's this: We have no more true rock gods left. Sure, we have a few great . rock . bands, a precious handful of true rock stars, great gobs of rock mediocrity, lots and lots of rock fluff and piles of rock cheese and barrelfuls of barely edible rock candy.

But authentic rock gods are a unique category. They are borne of this lethal, nearly indescribable chemical alchemy, a combo of deep mystique, raw sexuality, effortless power, the ability to transcend musical styles and generations and reach into your brain and your heart and your daughter's genitalia, and pull.

To put it mildly: Zep had it. Hell, Zep might've invented it.

Other bands had hints and licks. The Who dabbled, but were always a bit of an acquired taste and never quite reached the same stratosphere as Zep. Sabbath came close, but were so muddy and murky they always made for a far better soundtrack to, you know, smoking pot. The Stones seem to have squandered any rock god mystique they might've had by becoming the world's greatest Vegas spectacle, walking time capsules who've reportedly pumped out something like 437 records in the past two decades, not a single one of which you can actually name.

And oh yes, the Beatles. Surely the Fab Four attained true rock godhood, levels of epic mythological cultural position unprecedented in this lifetime.

But then again, no. The Beatles veered far more toward catchy psychedelia and quirky instrumentation and funny multicolored marching band outfits and are, it must be said, the most overexposed human beings of all time. They are more true pop music deities than true rock gods, and are now, sadly, far more aligned with Starbucks and cute movie musicals that really want to be "Hair" but come off as a bit more like "High School Musical," albeit with better drugs and far better songs. Oh, stop whining. You know it's true.

Zep went no such route. They were into full-length furs and platform boots and exotic Middle-Eastern musical motifs, Aleister Crowley and Norse mythology and references to Valhalla and Thor and "The Lord of the Rings." You know, just like Spinal Tap. Only better.

Zep never sold their songs for commercials (well, with one notable exception), never allowed their tunes in movie soundtracks (again, with a couple great . exceptions), never slogged through bloated, painful reunion tours (OK, again, minor allowances for the calm, seated Page/Plant shows of the '90s, but those weren't really concerts). Hence, the numinous Zep alchemy still has flavor. The mystique remains. The genitals of the culture can still feel the tug.

Now, the bad news: It is very possible the Zep reunion concert will, to put it bluntly, suck balls. After all, Plant is nearly 60 and looks more like a hip, hoary old mountain farmer than an incandescent sex god, and if his recent solo records are any indication, while his legendary voice is still instantly recognizable, he's lost probably 70 percent of his once-ear-melting range and power. Jimmy Page hasn't wielded that demonic bow for years. And fill-in drummer Jason Bonham (son of John), was last seen rounding out a horrible VH-1 reality show featuring, uh, Sebastian Bach. So the odds of Zep recapturing much of that omnipotent Madison Square Garden vibe are as slim as, say, Paul McCartney), buying you a vente caramel mocha latte at the mall Starbucks.

Then again, maybe it doesn't matter. Because this concert feels like it might just be the last gasp, the final time rock royalty of this caliber will come together and at least point to, wink at the true dark, sexy, omnipotent Rock God charisma of yore. It is an invaluable glimpse, a prized reminder, Achilles' Last Stand. After this, the chapter closes for good.

Or maybe not. Maybe, with any luck, the new rock gods are just biding their time, perfecting their bulges, waiting for their opening. We can only hope.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "A consistently good band works all the different elements well. A song has to appeal sentimentally, intellectually, physically, viscerally, and dig deep down into your soul and suck you into it. And after that, of course, it'd be a matter of taste." ~ Kim Thayil from Soundgarden