RHCP @ the Grammys

gozzo5058gozzo5058 Posts: 611
edited February 2007 in Other Music
Did anyone else watch the peppers' performance on the grammys last night and think "you've got to be kidding?" or think Chris Rock's introduction statement to the effect of "america's greatest rock band" was overblown/an exaggeration? or that Pearl Jam is so much better than this dribble and why are they not being recognized?

For your consideration, thoughts and otherwise...

Regards
s

Montreal/98, Toronto/00'03'05'06x2, Brad Toronto/02, Buffalo/03, Kitchener/05, London/05, Hamilton/05, Late Show Taping/06, Cleveland/06, Pittsburgh/06, Bridge School Benefit Concert/06, Hartford/08, Mansfield 1/08, EV Montreal/08x2, EV Toronto/08x2...
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Why is there so much hate for the RHCP? They are one of the few good bands out there. Plus they are one of the few who survived the 90s.
  • AstirdAstird Posts: 168
    It was an overblown intro for sure. I was expecting something wild and crazy by the way they were promoting it, but they were subdued and a bit boring. If they didn't have the confetti nobody would even remember their performance. IMO

**For the record I'm a big RHCP fan, but I know boring when I see it. Maybe they overall tone of the show put them in a coma.
  • jbalicki10 wrote:
    Why is there so much hate for the RHCP? They are one of the few good bands out there. Plus they are one of the few who survived the 90s.

Well put.

SHOW COUNT: (157) 1990's=3, 2000's=53, 2010/20's=97, US=116, CAN=15, Europe=20 ,New Zealand=2, Australia=2
    Mexico=1, Colombia=1 

Upcoming:   Ohana x2  Aucklandx2, Gold Coast, Melbournex2

• ninerniner Posts: 72
    It was an overblown intro for sure. I was expecting something wild and crazy by the way they were promoting it, but they were subdued and a bit boring. If they didn't have the confetti nobody would even remember their performance. IMO

**For the record I'm a big RHCP fan, but I know boring when I see it. Maybe they overall tone of the show put them in a coma.

agreed.
    also i thought the whole show was nothing but a bunch of promtional concerts. where were the awards? i like seeing who was nominated and their acceptance speech. its an award show. running a ticker at the bottom for who won is not the same.
  • Glad I missed it.
  • RCHP are an incredible band with a below average singer.
    |9.5.93Gorge|2.6.95Moore|5.7.98AROSpace|7.21.98Seattle|7.22.98Seattle|10.21.00PHX|11.5.00Seattle
    |11.6.00Seattle|6.6.03Vegas|6.7.03PHX|5.25.06Boston|7.22.06Gorge|7.23.06Gorge|9.21.09Seattle|9.22.09Seattle |10.6.09LA|11.19.13PHX|11.29.13Portland|12.6.13Seattle |10.22.14Denver| 8.8.18 Seattle | 8.10.18 Seattle

EV Solo |7.15.11 Benaroya|7.16.11 Benaroya|4.13.12PHX|10.30.14Redmond|
    TOTD 11.11.16 San Fran
  • I don't see how people can watch the Grammy's and take it seriously.

I mean they freaking put John Mayer in the pop category when he is blues-rock.
    Noblesville 6/03
    Toledo 10/04
    Grand Rapids 10/04
    Grand Rapids 5/06
    Cleveland 5/06
    Cincinnati 6/06
    *hopefully sometime before I die* Noblesville

Songs I'm hoping to hear live: Nothingman, In My Tree, Indifference, and Animal
  • I'm a RHCP fan. I think they are extremely unique. BUT i realllly don't think they are as good a band as PJ. Not even close. Pearl Jam was a 10x better record than stadium arcadium which won 3 grammy's I think while PJ was not even nominated? That makes no sense.
    PJ - 36
    EV - 5
    (**Letterman'02, Irving Plaza, Storytellers, Beacon, ACL, Spectrum 3&4, Bridge School '10**)

"Constant recoil,..sometimes life don't leave you alone."
    Let's connect on twitter - @Jeffgorra
  • mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    RHCP cannot hold a candle to a live PJ performance. They are good, but not great. At times, they are definitely boring! However, they have been "overlooked" by Grammy for so many years that this year they were the Carlos Santana of the show. To the original poster who asked why PJ were not honored, look up Ed's '96 grammy speech and then ask again.
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • RedlegsRedlegs Posts: 160
    It was a terrible song to close the show. RHCP has so much energy on stage, and they nix that with the Hey Ya song.

Even the overplayed Dani California would have been a much better choice.
  • PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    The Grammy's... I don't know what this means. I don't think it means anything.....................
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
  • edvedder913edvedder913 Posts: 1,810
    I'm a RHCP fan. I think they are extremely unique. BUT i realllly don't think they are as good a band as PJ. Not even close. Pearl Jam was a 10x better record than stadium arcadium which won 3 grammy's I think while PJ was not even nominated? That makes no sense.

I totally agree - I have all of their CD's, but I thought Justin Timberlake's 1st performance of the night ("What goes around" or something like that) was far better. Something I never thought I would actually hear myself say in this lifetime...
  • Who's with me for having this thread moved to Other Music?
    Who's with me for having this thread moved to Other Music?
    It might stay due to the thread starter asking why PJ is not being honored in the same fashion.
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

• mookie9999 wrote:
    It might stay due to the thread starter asking why PJ is not being honored in the same fashion.

Well ok then. LOL
  • the chili's were and are great. did you want to see more of t.i. and ludacris? fuck off.
  • Redlegs wrote:
    It was a terrible song to close the show. RHCP has so much energy on stage, and they nix that with the Hey Ya song.

Even the overplayed Dani California would have been a much better choice.

I thought the same thing as I watched it. I did see RHCP on Halloween night last year and thought they were actually pretty good. Anthony was right on with vocals and John was amazing on guitar. Didn't expect it having been disappointed at previous concerts.
    " I am no man!"

Toledo 1996; Cleveland 1998; Columbus 2000; Cleveland 2003; Columbus 2003; Toledo 2004; Detroit 2006; Pittsburgh 2006; Columbus 2010; Cleveland 2010; Toronto 2011
    the chili's were and are great. did you want to see more of t.i. and ludacris? fuck off.

More ludacris? No. But I felt that the eighteen performances by Mary J Blige just weren't enough!
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

doubledee wrote:
    Didn't expect it having been disappointed at previous concerts.

Maybe that was my problem. The only two times that I've seen them it was with Navaro on guitar.
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

• yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    PJ_Lukin wrote:
    The Grammy's... I don't know what this means. I don't think it means anything.....................

exactly ;)
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
  • the chili's were and are great. did you want to see more of t.i. and ludacris? fuck off.

I would have liked another Police song though.
  • PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
    I would have liked another Police song though.
    That's what I was saying during the third song by American Idol twit and Rascal Shit's "tribute" to the eagles.
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

• mookie9999 wrote:
    That's what I was saying during the third song by American Idol twit and Rascal Shit's "tribute" to the eagles.

I just caught the Police at the start and then turned it off. So sad I missed the American Idol songs. LOL
  • I would have liked another Police song though.

I agree. Also does sting not age? must be all the tantric sex.
  • I agree. Also does sting not age? must be all the tantric sex.

hahaha Yea he always looks the same. Still has a great voice. They would be a nice Summerfest show this yr.
  • bee_boybee_boy Posts: 384
    mookie9999 wrote:
    RHCP cannot hold a candle to a live PJ performance. They are good, but not great. At times, they are definitely boring! However, they have been "overlooked" by Grammy for so many years that this year they were the Carlos Santana of the show. To the original poster who asked why PJ were not honored, look up Ed's '96 grammy speech and then ask again.

Any links?
  • post 23 has a link. i cant wait to watch it as soon as the office empties.
    No time to be void and save up on life, you gotta spend it all.

10/4/96, 9/11/98, 8/25/00, 8/27/00, 8/30/00, 10/4/00, 4/29/03, 7/3/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 6/3/06, 10/22/06, 8/5/07, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 8/2/08 (EV)
  • I thought The Police were excellent. Nice to see them together again. Anyway, as far as the RHCP go - I'm a casual fan. I didn't see their performance, but I have no problem with them being there. They'll always be popular.

I still haven't bought SA, but I've listened to it. There's some decent tracks, but overall its boring IMO. I've only seem them live once - about 6 years ago at some festival. They were really boring live - I was actually shocked. I thought they'd be tearing it up, but they were very subdued. I still think they're a really good studio band though. Frusciante plays some beautiful guitar.
  • bee_boybee_boy Posts: 384
    Thanks for the link people. That speech was SO Ed. He said it himself.

Anyone got the link for the MTV Video Music Awards speech?