Options

Living With War - Neil Young

Comments

• Options
    kidapollokidapollo Posts: 75
    merkinball wrote:
    It looks like it was a Mac issue. The Safari browser I was using would only play the first track. Tried it with Internet Explorer, and I'm now grooving on Living With War. That guitar lead tied in with the trumpet is really cool.

The lyrics on their own were heavy enough, but the album itself, man...

It's working for me in Safari. But I have to have two windows open, rather than two tabs. I couldn't tab out to the lyrics and leave the stream playing.

Man, the two songs I have listened to so far are amazing. I am so proud of Neil Young right now. We need him. And we need others like him. We need Worldwide Suicide. With these, we have hope.
    I MET SIR MIKE F'N McCREADY!!!!!!!!
    (Added to my sig as per SENROCK'S suggestion)

"No time to be void, or save up on life ... you got to spend it all."

*Official Marker in the Sand Fan Club Junkie*
    Member #0020

Last Exit: Pittsburgh
    Next Stop: ???
  • Options
    kidapollo wrote:
    It's working for me in Safari. But I have to have two windows open, rather than two tabs. I couldn't tab out to the lyrics and leave the stream playing.

Man, the two songs I have listened to so far are amazing. I am so proud of Neil Young right now. We need him. And we need others like him. We need Worldwide Suicide. With these, we have hope.

same feeling here...read the lyrics before and liked them, but put to music...proud of neil is a good way to put it!
  • Options
    "the restless consumer" will take a couple of listens for me to get into it i think...but still - so raw, raunchy, rockin'!

don't need...don't need...don't need...don't need no more lies!
  • Options
    shock and awe listening to "shock and awe"...this is pure neil...raunchy, raunchy guitar!

fuckin' rockin' tune!!!
  • Options
    merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    Shock & Awe is my favorite so far, although I'm only up to Let's Impeach the President (which is fantastic, and including the quotes from Bush is brilliant). I really should be going to bed, but theres only 3 more tracks left...

Flip Flop!

Flip Flop!

Flip Flop!
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Options
    kidapollokidapollo Posts: 75
    I learned about the Kent State shooting after hearing "Ohio." I wondered what that song was about, and my folks filled me in. I later worked at the newspaper where the photographers who took the famous photo from that day were from at the time.

I can't help but feel like these songs are going to make a difference. If not tomorrow, or next Tuesday, then 10 years from now when a kid eager to learn about the transgressions of the past ventures beyond those guitar riffs and lyrics that pulled him or her in.

I've read about people crying the first time they heard "Ohio." I can understand that now.

This work from Neil is going to be important. His calling and purpose is awesome. He's our voice when we need him. And we need him now more than ever.

peace
    I MET SIR MIKE F'N McCREADY!!!!!!!!
    (Added to my sig as per SENROCK'S suggestion)

"No time to be void, or save up on life ... you got to spend it all."

*Official Marker in the Sand Fan Club Junkie*
    Member #0020

Last Exit: Pittsburgh
    Next Stop: ???
  • Options
    Lookin' for a Leader has a great groove too. This whole album is classic Neil, and to think that we weren't even aware of it two weeks ago.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

• Options
    yeah, i like it all so far...shock and awe stands out, as does after the garden and living with war...

families is short and sweet, but a good tune...

flags of freedom could easily be something neil wrote in the sixties...what a tune. i love it!

this record is so far removed from anti-american...it's passionate and you can feel the caring for the troops and the american people. the epitome of an anthem for free speech and true freedom.
  • Options
    merkinball wrote:
    Shock & Awe is my favorite so far, although I'm only up to Let's Impeach the President (which is fantastic, and including the quotes from Bush is brilliant). I really should be going to bed, but theres only 3 more tracks left...

Flip Flop!

Flip Flop!

Flip Flop!

L.I.P. is a great sing along tune!...don't think i'll be hitting the sack for a while myself ;)...another listen is due i think!

Flip Flop! ....INDEED!
  • Options
    kidapollo wrote:
    I learned about the Kent State shooting after hearing "Ohio." I wondered what that song was about, and my folks filled me in. I later worked at the newspaper where the photographers who took the famous photo from that day were from at the time.

I can't help but feel like these songs are going to make a difference. If not tomorrow, or next Tuesday, then 10 years from now when a kid eager to learn about the transgressions of the past ventures beyond those guitar riffs and lyrics that pulled him or her in.

I've read about people crying the first time they heard "Ohio." I can understand that now.

This work from Neil is going to be important. His calling and purpose is awesome. He's our voice when we need him. And we need him now more than ever.

peace

so well said kidapollo! so very well said!

...i remember hearing that david crosby himself cried as well after one of the takes for ohio...
  • Options
    merkinball wrote:
    Lookin' for a Leader has a great groove too. This whole album is classic Neil, and to think that we weren't even aware of it two weeks ago.

great groove is right merkinball! it's crazy how fast this has come about...and the end result...nine days from start of writing to recorded and complete...unheard of!...unless it's classic neil ;)
  • Options
    Alright, just finished up with America the Beautiful. What a great album, and Kidapollo, you're right on. This is one important work, captures the essence of being alive at this time in history. As much as we need Neil right now, I hope that other artists hear this call, and are as inspired by his work.

Night all, got to get the kids up and off to school in a few hours (Can't wait to listen to this LOUD, without worrying about waking them up!). Nice to be able to share this experience with you.

• Options
    merkinball wrote:
    Alright, just finished up with America the Beautiful. What a great album, and Kidapollo, you're right on. This is one important work, captures the essence of being alive at this time in history. As much as we need Neil right now, I hope that other artists hear this call, and are as inspired by his work.

Night all, got to get the kids up and off to school in a few hours (Can't wait to listen to this LOUD, without worrying about waking them up!). Nice to be able to share this experience with you.

right on merkinball! i'm with you and kidapollo on this...an important piece of work for neil and everyone.

...i'm crankin' this tomorrow too..."the restless consumer" is the only one that really hasn't "grabbed" me on first listen...listening to roger and out now - i love it! ...otherwise track for track solid, classic, raunchy neil! :D

good night!
  • Options
    america the beautiful! wow! if you're an american you'll have chills, maybe a couple of tears...as a canuck, i was even getting chills hearing this...100 voices singing as one! wow!
  • Options
    favourite tracks...(excluding america the beautiful - it stands out by itself...)

1. shock and awe
    2. after the garden
    3. living with war
    4. flags of freedom
    5. roger and out
    6. lookin' for a leader
    7. families
    8. let's impeach the president
    9. the restless consumer
  • Options
    second listen...even better than the first! :)
  • Options
    merkinball wrote:

second listen for "lookin' for a leader", merkinball. it kicks major ass!
  • Options
    neil's myspace...where you can listen to the tracks a few at a time...

http://www.myspace.com/neilyoung
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    man! holf fuck this is a great piece of art and what a piece of political protest! This absolutelt kicks ass...
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    Zoso wrote:
    man! holf fuck this is a great piece of art and what a piece of political protest! This absolutelt kicks ass...

i'm on my fourth listen zoso! i might be up all day!!!

i agree, great piece of art and political protest. it fills you with hope...the music, the voices, the message, and the messenger...
  • Options
    ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    i'm on my fourth listen zoso! i might be up all day!!!

i agree, great piece of art and political protest. it fills you with hope...the music, the voices, the message, and the messenger...

I have listened to it a few times now through and I can't stop... This would have worked with PJ backing.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • Options
    Zoso wrote:
    I have listened to it a few times now through and I can't stop... This would have worked with PJ backing.

oh, definitely! pj backing, with the 100 voices - definitely! :)
  • Options
    another place to listen to the record...

http://www.hyfntrak.com/neilyoung2/AFF23130/

my space and neil's site are getting busy...:)
  • Options
    Duff_ManDuff_Man Posts: 150
    just been looking round some sites, someone on mininova has ripped the streams and posted the mp3s

apparently a good quality version (a legit one ?) is going to be available on monday
    We did not change as we grew older; we just became more clearly ourselves.
  • Options
    Duff_Man wrote:
    just been looking round some sites, someone on mininova has ripped the streams and posted the mp3s

apparently a good quality version (a legit one ?) is going to be available on monday

should be available for official download on may 2nd! PJ, tool, and neil - may 2nd!
  • Options
    thanks for the tip too, duff man - found it! :)

going to pick up the cd when it becomes available in stores sometime between may 5th and 15th...
  • Options
    Up, at work, and just started listening again. I'll be playing this all day....

• Options
    merkinball wrote:
    Up, at work, and just started listening again. I'll be playing this all day....

i'm still up listening to it merkinball!!! :) play it all day!
  • Options
    This should be a sticky! I think I've gotten past the excitement of it being a new Neil Young album, and the seriousness of the lyrics are really starting to hit. I'll be buying multiple copies of this as gifts.

I'm digging Restless Consumer now, has a bit of a Be The Rain vibe to it.

• Options
    Lost_ClayLost_Clay Posts: 1,085
    this album sounds great, hats off to uncle neil
    "ah fuck it get in trouble"

06/29/03 09/22/05 09/24/05 09/25/05 05/09/06 05/10/06