What a sellout!!!

13»

Comments

• I was watching an interview with Mellencamp and the question on "Our Country" and selling out came up. First, regarding selling out, he said he first sold out a long time ago when he signed his first record contract.

Second, he said he still isn;t happy with artists giving their music away (himself included), but he told a story about trying to find a song on the radio, and after days of searching, he had no luck (eventually found it online). That song was by Tom Petty ... he then said if the radio stations are not playing that song, there is no way his will get any airplay. So, long story short, to get the song and the word about a new album out there, he "sold out".

Thinking about it, there are no more videos, and radio stations are a joke, so this is a way to go.
    I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal. But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existance either.
  • PearlJamaholicPearlJamaholic Posts: 2,018
    i dont think being on mtv or whatever makes you a sellout. i really think it depends on the band or artist. i view selling out as if a band does something just for money and wouldnt have been completely against it otherwise.

examples
    Pearl Jam playing a concert to support president bush, and charging $80 a ticket.

if i heard jello biafra gave wal-mart the ok to use a dead kennedy's song in a commerical.

non-sellout examples

nin doing a mtv.com webstream concert and charging viewers. nin has always played on mtv and was never against mtv or videos, censorship is another thing.

tool making a less edgy album with lateralus. tool always changes their sound and does new things just cause its not good doesnt mean sellout.

nickelback can never sellout their whole intention is to make money.

anyways thats my opinion. if i see a band doing something that 5 years ago they said they were completely against and are doing it for lots of money ill say 'sellout.'
  • cutback wrote:
    Here's where I get disappointed in bands. The Violent Femmes gave "Blister in the Sun" to Wendy's. :(

I don't think I want to think about blisters and food at the same time, yuck!
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    I don't think I want to think about blisters and food at the same time, yuck!

Yeah I don't think they thought that out. ;):)