Kings of Leon = Massively Overrated

Comments

• dg1979usdg1979us Posts: 568
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kings_of_leon

Most of the early work was co-written with Angelo Petraglia (producer). Pretty sure no producer in the history of rock has ever helped a band out with writing, clearly these guys are pretty weak.

And catefrances, I asked a question about that too and haven't gotten a response. How could a record label put together people who are related? Didn't their parents already do that?

Caleb and Nathan ( I believe) were in Nashville trying to be a country singers. A producer thought they would fit in better with a rock band. They were given a contract and told to find bandmates and the producer was going to steer them in more a rock direction. So, they just got family members to be in the band with them. I live in Nashville, and this was not a band who grew up playing the clubs or anything like that. Caleb had a record deal before he ever had a band.
  • Brainofdz wrote:
    I completely disagree. I've had several experiences of not being crazy about a bands recordings but loving them live. Phish, Mogwai, and Blur come to mind but there are many more.

that's fine...i think they all deliver on their records though...
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours
  • agree. one of my fave live bands is crap on record. which imo is a damn shame. :)

which band might that be?
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003

Most of the early work was co-written with Angelo Petraglia (producer). Pretty sure no producer in the history of rock has ever helped a band out with writing, clearly these guys are pretty weak.

And catefrances, I asked a question about that too and haven't gotten a response. How could a record label put together people who are related? Didn't their parents already do that?

you'd be wrong about a producer NOT helping a band with 'writing'. it's not that rare an occurrence. and with one as green in the studio as KoL im not surprised. but HOW MUCH did he help, thats what i want to know. btw, it clearly states on youth and young manhood that ALL songs were arranged by ethan johns and angelo. not to mention where it says ALL songs written by nathan followill, caleb followill and angelo so there you go. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    Yeah, I was being sarcastic...

oops just read this. :) sarcasm requires a big grinning smilie face please. :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    dg1979us wrote:
    Caleb and Nathan ( I believe) were in Nashville trying to be a country singers. A producer thought they would fit in better with a rock band. They were given a contract and told to find bandmates and the producer was going to steer them in more a rock direction. So, they just got family members to be in the band with them. I live in Nashville, and this was not a band who grew up playing the clubs or anything like that. Caleb had a record deal before he ever had a band.

OMG!!! that's it? that's the argument? sounds like what sony did with jeff buckley. find a band boy, you're gonna need one. :D
    gorgeoeus boys(clearly with at least some talent) playing music, who wouldnt see an opportunity to steer them? we're not exactly talking the spice girls here, are we?
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    which band might that be?

the mess hall. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • dg1979usdg1979us Posts: 568
    OMG!!! that's it? that's the argument? sounds like what sony did with jeff buckley. find a band boy, you're gonna need one. :D
    gorgeoeus boys(clearly with at least some talent) playing music, who wouldnt see an opportunity to steer them? we're not exactly talking the spice girls here, are we?

No, Im not making them out to be the spice girls, probably more along the lines of Bush or something. Im just not sure they are completely authentic and not sure there isnt someone behind them at least pulling some of the strings. They go from country, to rock, and get a record deal (before they even had the full band), and have a country writer co-write there first EP and first full length, and then produced AHA shake. Sorry, just makes me wonder what they would be, if anything, if not for Angelo Petraglia. Like I said earlier, I think the songs are pretty good and they are a good solid band. I dont think they are anything overly inventive or earth shattering, but definately a solid band. Just not sure how much of it is them, and how much is someone pulling the strings behind them.
  • i like these guys... but it took me some time to grow on it. i would agree with the original poster that they can be overrated... but that's only if you don't like it. as for the person who loves it... it certainly isn't overrated for them. it's just a whole different mindset. i thought their first song... i think it's the first song... reminded me a bit of one of pearl jam's songs. i dunno... it's just me though.
    This isn't the land of opportunity, it's the land of competition.
  • MasterFramerMasterFramer Posts: 2,268
    KOL rock... period.
    10.31.93 / 10.1.94 / 6.24.95 / 11.4.95 / 10.19-20.96 / 7.16.98 / 7.21.98 / 10.31.00 /8.4.01 Nader Rally/ 10.21.01 / 12.8-9.02 / 6.01.03 / 9.1.05 / 7.15-16,18.06 / 7.20.06 / 7.22-23.06 / Lolla 07
  • xSmackSoundxxSmackSoundx Posts: 479
    Acquired Taste
  • cc10106cc10106 Posts: 385
    This band can rock any of your lame asses live. I should know, they did mine.
  • Acquired Taste
    exactly.... just like any other band. has anybody realized how much pearl jam is hated by many? my friends absolutely hate pearl jam and their vocals annoy the crap out of them. i can't even listen to them when my friends are around.
    This isn't the land of opportunity, it's the land of competition.
  • For me because of the times, is my favorite album of the year so far. i saw them last week in Philly and they were fucking increible, the lead singer was really sick and was doing a shot of honey after each song and he still sounded amazing, and the music was so hard rocking
    "I Will Scream my Lungs out 'til it fills this Room "

" I Will Feel Alive as Long as I am Free"

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

www.myspace.com/ehoff12982
  • the mess hall. :)

you're quoting The Band in your location status...so, you're cool me...so, how did you find out that a band that is shit on record was good live? you saw them live before you listened to their record?
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours
    you're quoting The Band in your location status...so, you're cool me...so, how did you find out that a band that is shit on record was good live? you saw them live before you listened to their record?

yes. :)
    i'd been seeing them live for a couple of years before, and was eagerly awaiting their debut album. unfortunately they didnt translate all that well. it was a disappointment cause they rock live. and there's only two of them. perhaps they should release a live album. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • yes. :)
    i'd been seeing them live for a couple of years before, and was eagerly awaiting their debut album. unfortunately they didnt translate all that well. it was a disappointment cause they rock live. and there's only two of them. perhaps they should release a live album. :)

if you can't capture your vision, that you have already captured live, on record...then i'll find another band to watch live...
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours
    if you can't capture your vision, that you have already captured live, on record...then i'll find another band to watch live...

but they rock live.
    funny thing is a couple of months ago i was actually talking with the band at an unrelated gig and asked them when they were playing live again, cause you know it's been like 6 months. they said they were recording another album. i tell you, my heart just fell. so me being me insistently asked, 'so does that mean you're not playing live anytime soon?' they said no. :(
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    KOL translated just fine live last night and I think I have the bruised ribs to prove it.

I've never seen them play where they didn't.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
    dharma69 wrote:
    KOL translated just fine live last night and I think I have the bruised ribs to prove it.

I've never seen them play where they didn't.

me neither. and ive not seen any overseas band more than ive seen KoL.

fyi. im australian. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • but they rock live.
    funny thing is a couple of months ago i was actually talking with the band at an unrelated gig and asked them when they were playing live again, cause you know it's been like 6 months. they said they were recording another album. i tell you, my heart just fell. so me being me insistently asked, 'so does that mean you're not playing live anytime soon?' they said no. :(

see, my point...i want to be able to pop in a cd (if there are no live records) and listen to the band...

i hate it when a band can't play live...cd is good...can't play live...proof that the band SUCKS!
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours
    see, my point...i want to be able to pop in a cd (if there are no live records) and listen to the band...

i hate it when a band can't play live...cd is good...can't play live...proof that the band SUCKS!

yeah and i understand that. i dont listen to them all that much at home. but i know when they tour, i am gonna enjoy it no end. so i hang for them live. :)

and you know what? it just might have been shitty production.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    I don't see either what all the hype is about them.
  • yeah and i understand that. i dont listen to them all that much at home. but i know when they tour, i am gonna enjoy it no end. so i hang for them live. :)

and you know what? it just might have been shitty production.

they have final say...come on...ha
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours
  • I don't see either what all the hype is about them.

...WHAT???
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours
    they have final say...come on...ha

how ironic, cause guess who produced the album??? :D:D

actually im listening to the disputed album as we speak. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • cc10106cc10106 Posts: 385
    you'd be wrong about a producer NOT helping a band with 'writing'. it's not that rare an occurrence. and with one as green in the studio as KoL im not surprised. but HOW MUCH did he help, thats what i want to know. btw, it clearly states on youth and young manhood that ALL songs were arranged by ethan johns and angelo. not to mention where it says ALL songs written by nathan followill, caleb followill and angelo so there you go. :)
    I've noticed all of that as well, and wondered the same things.

All of you that bring up the production/writing credits have a point. However, both AHA and the new one are much different and better than Youth... I have a hard time listening to it at times because it actually hurts my ears. Too much harsh mid-rangey sound from the guitars (or entire mix) I guess. The new one does have its crappy/gimmicky moments, but the highs far outweigh them. I guarantee you that it was almost (if not) all written by the band this time around. Take that for what it is. I'm sure they had more control on AHA as well. Every band, or almost every one, has a producer that helps in arranging and in the writing process in one way or another. If it can be seen as a weakness of KoL to some, I guess I'm just glad I can forget about it and rock out. Apologies for the rant. (Plays 'Slow Nite, So Long' in protest :)).
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425

exactly, they are brothers so how ere they put together? I believe a lot of bands have got help with the writing og songs I mean even Zeppelin didn't have all original lyrics or music... It doesnt mean they are a rubbish band I don't think anyway.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    i don't really see the need for this thread.
    but hey, that's just me.
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • You don't see the need for this thread? Well, its in a forum to discuss music and bands, and all I did was open it up for people to talk about what they see in this music that I didn't see myself, that's all, but thanks for your input *thumbs up*
    "A toast....to Canadian born Neil Young!!!" - Eddie Vedder

CANADIAN AND PROUD OF IT!!!!!!