Kings of Leon = Massively Overrated

Comments

• ReleasHReleasH Posts: 743
    Obviously you are completely entitled to your opinion, but I would suggest listening to one of their live shows over their albums ... for example, I despise the album version of Charmer (it's like nails on a chalkboard), but it is much better live. I personally wouldn't say they are overrated, but maybe overhyped.
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    One of my favourite bands from the past ten years or so, like the newest album best of all.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • Probably 3/4 people that I know who've listened to it love it and the other 25% have your opinion about it (thread starter).

I don't consider it anything earth shattering, but I think it's an ace album from a band that gets ten times better with every record they make.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • I think they're pretty talented, but the song "On Call" is pretty fucking terrible.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • ReleasH wrote:
    Obviously you are completely entitled to your opinion, but I would suggest listening to one of their live shows over their albums ... for example, I despise the album version of Charmer (it's like nails on a chalkboard), but it is much better live. I personally wouldn't say they are overrated, but maybe overhyped.

if you don't think that a band can deliver on record then you shouldn't waste your time with their live set...
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours
  • dg1979us wrote:
    I havent really heard the new album, but I did enjoy the last few. In saying that, they are a band put together by a record label and I have read they had much help in writing at least their first few albums, which makes me lose some respect for them.

I understand that they've had some help in writing songs, but how did a record label put them together? They are 3 brothers and a cousin.
  • kdpjamkdpjam Posts: 2,303
    i dunno if they are overrated or not. kind of on the fence regarding that. they were damn good live a few weeks back tho!!!
    lay down all thoughts; surrender to the void
    ~it is shining it is shining~
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    hmm who cares? who listens to hype anyway? alls i know is ive been digging the kings of leon for nigh on 4 years(so that would be before the 'hype') and it doesnt matter what anyone else thinks.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • hmm who cares? who listens to hype anyway? alls i know is ive been digging the kings of leon for nigh on 4 years(so that would be before the 'hype') and it doesnt matter what anyone else thinks.
    Me too. From the moment I heard "California Waiting".
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • i fully agree. industry-made crap band. i admit, they tricked me into buying their first record cause i thought it was authentic, and then i realized what a huge waste of $14 i made.
  • BrainofdzBrainofdz Posts: 1,617
    if you don't think that a band can deliver on record then you shouldn't waste your time with their live set...

I completely disagree. I've had several experiences of not being crazy about a bands recordings but loving them live. Phish, Mogwai, and Blur come to mind but there are many more.
    "Stunned by my own reflection, It's looking back, sees me too clearly and I swore I'd never go there again, Not unlike a friend that politely drags you down,down,down"

When you see me on the street, yell out "FAVO!!!"

I've been to alot of Pearl Jam shows;So fucking what.
  • Brainofdz wrote:
    I completely disagree. I've had several experiences of not being crazy about a bands recordings but loving them live. Phish, Mogwai, and Blur come to mind but there are many more.

mogwai's dope. good call.
    Brainofdz wrote:

agree. one of my fave live bands is crap on record. which imo is a damn shame. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • you do not open for pearl jam and U2 if you are a shit band, i am sorry to those that dislike them

Dont forget Bob Dylan haha

And I saw them tonight, went in only knowing On Call and Knocked Up...had a sick ass time they were real good
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    I used to consider them some kind of strokes rip off but that changed when i heard the new album.... after a few listens i really really loved it.. and now like a lot of their older stuff as well.. lookin forward to them at lolla
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
    bharQ wrote:
    I used to consider them some kind of strokes rip off but that changed when i heard the new album.... after a few listens i really really loved it.. and now like a lot of their older stuff as well.. lookin forward to them at lolla

funnily enough the first time i saw the kings of leon live in 04, they were supporting the strokes. i was beyond thrilled.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    Got to say I love all three albums, certainly not overrated, especially given the mammoth amount of dog turd around these days.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    If they hadn't been a PJ support band no body would mention them.

1. king of leon are big in the UK much bigger than the US

2. they are of the better bands going round making better new music than possibly pj is right now

3. who says they had help writing their songs? I doubt ths VERY MUCH...
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
    Zoso wrote:

same people that say they were put together by a record company i imagine. ;):)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Zoso wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kings_of_leon

Most of the early work was co-written with Angelo Petraglia (producer). Pretty sure no producer in the history of rock has ever helped a band out with writing, clearly these guys are pretty weak.

And catefrances, I asked a question about that too and haven't gotten a response. How could a record label put together people who are related? Didn't their parents already do that?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kings_of_leon

Most of the early work was co-written with Angelo Petraglia (producer). Pretty sure no producer in the history of rock has ever helped a band out with writing, clearly these guys are pretty weak.

And catefrances, I asked a question about that too and haven't gotten a response. How could a record label put together people who are related? Didn't their parents already do that?

Maybe week when they started, but we all grow, I look back at the stuff poetry/lyrics/philosophy I used to write when I was between the age of 16 and 23 and compared to the stuff I write now it is amazing the difference, the maturity and the growth that has happened as I have got older.
  • Maybe week when they started, but we all grow, I look back at the stuff poetry/lyrics/philosophy I used to write when I was between the age of 16 and 23 and compared to the stuff I write now it is amazing the difference, the maturity and the growth that has happened as I have got older.

Yeah, I was being sarcastic...
    Yeah, I was being sarcastic...

Sorry, sometimes sarcasm wizzes by me on the pit.:)
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Cornell is overrated... KOL are just one of the 3 best bands currently strumming instruments.

great sound, songs, beats, jeans, genes and Caleb has a marmite voice... i love it but others hate it...

if you dont get KOL then thats fine... :):)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Alex_CoeAlex_Coe Posts: 762
    Zoso wrote:
    1. king of leon are big in the UK much bigger than the US

2. they are of the better bands going round making better new music than possibly pj is right now

Sir, I must protest thine second point. Methinks you are verily trying too hard to proveth the merits of the Lordsmen.
  • pjhabitpjhabit Posts: 211
    I have been turned on to a number of great bands thanks to this forum, including My Morning Jacket, and Black Rebel Motorcycle Club and am always willing to give a new band a listen
    So is this "hype" coming from us or are they all over MTV & the radio now?... (Thats a serious quesion, i don't have cable & never listen to radio.) Anyway, maybe you should catch them on this tour. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club is opening for them so I wouldn't be a complet waist. And I'd bet you'd come out a KOL fan too. I just don't get how you could dig BRMC & just so easily wright off KOL. Well at the very least go give Because of the Times anouther listen. ~Peace
    Boise 11/3/00~Fargo 6/15/03~Winnipeg 9/8/05~St. Paul 6/26/06~6/27/06
  • KellerKeller Posts: 177
    They have to be my favorite band making music right now. The new cd is amazing. Although i was a bit disappointed in the live show. Don't get me wrong it was a hell of a show but i just think they could have done alot more with their songs, especialy the new ones. I would like to see them jam them out a bit more.
    "Be what you want to be, see what you came to see"
  • Its kind of hard to get a discussion going when the title says "massively overrated". Not much to talk about then, you have pretty much made up your mind.

I personally think they are one of the best bands out in the last 4 years. So what if they had a little help writing songs in the beginning? I think they continue to mature and I feel their albums reflect that. Their shows have great energy. And to open up for Bob Dylan, U2, and Pearl Jam, doesn't seem overrated to me. And people were definitely talking about them well before they opened up for any of these bands.

But good for you stating your opinion.
    Driving in my car, smoking a cigar. The only time I'm happy is when I play my guitar.

-from "n.s.u." by Cream
  • PJ Habit wrote:
    So is this "hype" coming from us or are they all over MTV & the radio now?... (Thats a serious quesion, i don't have cable & never listen to radio.) Anyway, maybe you should catch them on this tour. Black Rebel Motorcycle Club is opening for them so I wouldn't be a complet waist. And I'd bet you'd come out a KOL fan too. I just don't get how you could dig BRMC & just so easily wright off KOL. Well at the very least go give Because of the Times anouther listen. ~Peace

The "hype" definetely came from the boards for me. I don't watch MTV at all, and rarely ever listen to the radio either. I had never even heard of KOL before reading about them on here, but same goes for MMJ. I don't know, perhaps seeing them live would help, I guess I just did not connect with Because of the Times, and I have listened to it several times, as I kept thinking 'this will click', but it just hasn't. Can't really explain why, like I said, the music isn't terrible, I just find it rather annoying personally.
    "A toast....to Canadian born Neil Young!!!" - Eddie Vedder

CANADIAN AND PROUD OF IT!!!!!!
  • MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,140
    meh, so are stone temple pilots, the police, tom petty, chris cornell, the doors, ccr, rush, and the list goes on....

doesnt mean i'm going to make a thread to state thats what i think.

Kings of Leon are a current band....hence the reason the thread is relevant.
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.  5-10-2024 Portland.  5-30-2024 Seattle.