Kings of Leon = Massively Overrated

Mike RenzellaMike Renzella Posts: 55
edited June 2007 in Other Music
Okay, before anyone decides to chew my head off....what is up with all the hype and praise being placed on 'Because of the Times'. I picked it up a while back, expecting some great music, and well, to be honest, I found it to be on the same level with much of the popular music out there today. In other words, it was forgettable, bland, and annoying at times.
I have been turned on to a number of great bands thanks to this forum, including My Morning Jacket, and Black Rebel Motorcycle Club and am always willing to give a new band a listen, but this album really irritated me for some reason, and seeing it listed on peoples' best of '07 list is dumbfounding to me. What am I missing?
"A toast....to Canadian born Neil Young!!!" - Eddie Vedder

CANADIAN AND PROUD OF IT!!!!!!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Super VedderSuper Vedder Posts: 1,531
    guess its just the beauty of personal choice aint it? i love it myself but if we all liked the same things how dull would this world be????
    Black, the greatest without a doubt........
  • rhcpjam1029rhcpjam1029 Posts: 1,968
    agreed.
    Beavis: All my friends are brown and red? What does that mean?
    Butthead: It means that his friends are like turds and that they like suck.
    Beavis: Heh heh. Oh yeah. Yeah! Get those spoons out of my face before I shove them up your butt!
    Butthead: Huh huh.
    agreed.

with which comment??
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    Okay, before anyone decides to chew my head off....what is up with all the hype and praise being placed on 'Because of the Times'. I picked it up a while back, expecting some great music, and well, to be honest, I found it to be on the same level with much of the popular music out there today. In other words, it was forgettable, bland, and annoying at times.
    I have been turned on to a number of great bands thanks to this forum, including My Morning Jacket, and Black Rebel Motorcycle Club and am always willing to give a new band a listen, but this album really irritated me for some reason, and seeing it listed on peoples' best of '07 list is dumbfounding to me. What am I missing?
    No worries if you're less than thrilled with KOL; personally I find them musically thrilling and wholly unlike any other music out there...just like My Morning Jacket.

But one thing that I can say about this band that I love; the praise for "Because of The Times" is not only because it's a great record on it's own, but because of it's incredible growth from their first 2 albums. I don't know if you've heard "Youth & Young Manhood' or "Aha Shake Heartbreak" (which were ball-busting sonic trips) but these albums are a serious journey and the fact that they wound up at the skill and maturity of "Because of The Times" just blows me away.

Bands like KOL are what the future of good music is about.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • yield2meyield2me Posts: 1,291
    I agree with the original poster totally. This band is COMPLETELY overrated and annoying.
    “May you live to be 100 and may the last voice you hear be mine.” - Frank Sinatra
    dharma69 wrote:
    No worries if you're less than thrilled with KOL; personally I find them musically thrilling and wholly unlike any other music out there...just like My Morning Jacket.

But one thing that I can say about this band that I love; the praise for "Because of The Times" is not only because it's a great record on it's own, but because of it's incredible growth from their first 2 albums. I don't know if you've heard "Youth & Young Manhood' or "Aha Shake Heartbreak" (which were ball-busting sonic trips) but these albums are a serious journey and the fact that they wound up at the skill and maturity of "Because of The Times" just blows me away.

Bands like KOL are what the future of good music is about.

Exactamundo!!!!
  • yield2me wrote:
    I agree with the original poster totally. This band is COMPLETELY overrated and annoying.

meh, so are stone temple pilots, the police, tom petty, chris cornell, the doors, ccr, rush, and the list goes on....

doesnt mean i'm going to make a thread to state thats what i think.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    i'm starting to think the same thing about KOL. i really enjoyed Holy Roller Novicane and Youth & Young Manhood but everything since i've felt indifferent about.
  • Enume CellEnume Cell Posts: 16
    To think that they didnt even go to high school, and strokes have been on academies...

I think someone else is writing their songs.

They are just to inventive and original. i think that familiy conection is bringing their music on higher level. Hmmm, maybe I should ask my brother and grandma to start the band.
    ??!
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994
    When I first listened to "Because of the Times" I loved it, ventured out to other KOL albums and fell in love. If you don't like any of their albums put them aside. Just because X number of people love them it doesn't mean it's for you.

I do the same thing. I hear about a good band from a friend or online, give it a listen, then realize it's not for me.

Keep an open mind and try new music.

Sorry KOL isn't for you, because I find them so fun : )
  • BremertonBremerton Posts: 279
    I haven't invested much time into them yet, but I still haven't enjoyed any of their albums.
  • ZosoZoso Posts: 6,425
    kings of leon - are one if not the best bands in the world going around.. bland? one of the more interesting bands going around even if you dont like their music I would have thought? But it is you're opinion just thought KOL are on of the bands that are original and would fit nicely into the 70's and aren't a product of the mainstream.
    I'm just flying around the other side of the world to say I love you

Sha la la la i'm in love with a jersey girl

I love you forever and forever :)

Adel 03 Melb 1 03 LA 2 06 Santa Barbara 06 Gorge 1 06 Gorge 2 06 Adel 1 06 Adel 2 06 Camden 1 08 Camden 2 08 Washington DC 08 Hartford 08
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    I dont think they are nearly as good as all the other bands that make a similar brand of rock music.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • I was kind of lukewarm on their first two albums, but Because of the Times is blowing me away every time I listen to it. I can't get enough of Arizona, Black Thumbnail, Ragoo or Fans. But my favourite has gotta be Knocked Up, that's just epic.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Okay, before anyone decides to chew my head off....what is up with all the hype and praise being placed on 'Because of the Times'. I picked it up a while back, expecting some great music, and well, to be honest, I found it to be on the same level with much of the popular music out there today. In other words, it was forgettable, bland, and annoying at times.

you're missing the ears of the people that like it...it's not a big deal...don't sweat it...
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours
  • cc10106cc10106 Posts: 385
    great record. great band. just because the hype machine takes on too many passengers doesn't mean they're overrated. just because YOU don't like em doesn't mean they're overrated. the killers are overrated. best record of '07? i seriously doubt that, tho.
  • cc10106 wrote:
    great record. great band. just because the hype machine takes on too many passengers doesn't mean they're overrated. just because YOU don't like em doesn't mean they're overrated. the killers are overrated. best record of '07? i seriously doubt that, tho.

the only thing "overrated" means, here, is personal preference...if i were to feel they were overrated, then, to me, they would be overrated...what i think in relation to what i believe other people to think about a certain thing, whatever that thing may be, is all that matters.
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours
  • NYbenbenNYbenben Posts: 1,020
    someone told me that I had to get into them becuase they were "the best new band out"... i tried listening to some clips of their album on iTunes, and i couldnt even listen to the 30 second clips that were out ther.

CRAP!
    4/12/92, 8/11/92, 9/28/96, 9/11/98, 8/23/00, 8/24/00, 7/9/03, 4/30/03, 10/1/04, 10/3/05, 12/9/05, 5/12/06, 5/17/06, 5/28/06, 6/3/06, 12/9/06, EV LA 4/12-4/13/08, 6/12/08, 6,19,08, 6,20,08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 7/1/08

and still jonesing for another show....
    "the waiting drove me mad..."
  • cc10106cc10106 Posts: 385
    the only thing "overrated" means, here, is personal preference...if i were to feel they were overrated, then, to me, they would be overrated...what i think in relation to what i believe other people to think about a certain thing, whatever that thing may be, is all that matters.
    Good to know your personal preference. IMO a clearer way to state that is "I don't like Kings of Leon". That's a personal statement. "They're overrated", on the other hand, to me, is a much more general statement which obviously weighs in other peoples' opinions, in the first place. It's all semantics and doesn't really matter anyway. However, to call a band, one that IS very talented and backs the hype up live, whether you care for them or not, "massively overrated" is just random shit talking. I've listened to this band for several years now. I didn't think much about the new one the for a while, but it grew one me. Perhaps someone who makes judgements on art after barely even listening to it is making a premature judgement.
  • cc10106 wrote:
    Good to know your personal preference. IMO a clearer way to state that is "I don't like Kings of Leon". That's a personal statement. "They're overrated", on the other hand, to me, is a much more general statement which obviously weighs in other peoples' opinions, in the first place. It's all semantics and doesn't really matter anyway. However, to call a band, one that IS very talented and backs the hype up live, whether you care for them or not, "massively overrated" is just random shit talking. I've listened to this band for several years now. I didn't think much about the new one the for a while, but it grew one me. Perhaps someone who makes judgements on art after barely even listening to it is making a premature judgement.

right, but it's still a personal opinion. and, it is NOT randomly shit talking...your opinion is such that you believe they are not overrated, talented, and one that backs up their hype with their live show...that's a personal opinion too...one that weighs into someone's opinion that something, or someone is overrated...
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours
  • dg1979usdg1979us Posts: 568
    I havent really heard the new album, but I did enjoy the last few. In saying that, they are a band put together by a record label and I have read they had much help in writing at least their first few albums, which makes me lose some respect for them.
  • If they hadn't been a PJ support band no body would mention them.
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,142
    If they hadn't been a PJ support band no body would mention them.

i doubt it, they have been all over the music biz magazines over the past 3 years. i remember when their first album came out, rolling stone had it in the "buy these now" category so i invested $8 in them. i have not looked back since. every release has been better than the last. you do not open for pearl jam and U2 if you are a shit band, i am sorry to those that dislike them. we would have heard about them in spite of their opening for pearl jam, because they are a great band, not because they are a part of the young band hype machine.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."

that's a dumb statement. i knew about them long before they opened for pearl jam. hell, i knew about them before rolling stone said anything about their beards...
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours

baaaahahahha, yeah ok.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • Red LukinRed Lukin Posts: 2,994

Not true in my case. I started listening to them after they supported PJ, but didn't even know they opened for PJ until after I listened to them 500 times.
  • yellowbirdyellowbird Posts: 184
    i picked up their last record when i found out they would be opening for U2 on the Vertigo tour. i found the singer incredibly annoying and when my kids heard it they laughed their asses off. they would stick the cd in the player in the car and try to mimic him. it was funny at first and then THEY got incredibly annoying and then the cd turned up "lost".
  • Well, I don't feel I need to apologize for the statement I made of 'massively overrated'. It was not an attack on people who like the band, I thought I made that clear in the post itself, just that I can't understand what about their music stands out, when I hear it and don't think 'wow, heres a great throwback to 70s rock' so much as I hear another rather annoying band. I never said I HATE Kings of Leon, I simply stated that the hype surrounding them is a little extreme. Hence, they are overrated (level of hype versus musical output).

I'm not a shit-talker, or out to start any random argument. I was simply stating my opinion on an album and a band, in a thread designated for just such a discussion.

If I really wanted to do that, I'd start a 'Chris Cornell is washed up' thread, as I have a hankering to really tear into Carry On, but there are already so many threads about that, why bother?

Anyway, I was just hoping to get a little bit of discussion going about this particular record and band, to see where it went, that's all.
    "A toast....to Canadian born Neil Young!!!" - Eddie Vedder

CANADIAN AND PROUD OF IT!!!!!!
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz! Wrong, but thanks for playing.

I'd seen them 3 times before Pearl Jam's last album even came out.

And as for the beards....yeah, that just wasn't a good look for them.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • yellowbirdyellowbird Posts: 184
    Well, I don't feel I need to apologize for the statement I made of 'massively overrated'.

you go, Mike!
    it's not like you said someone's kid was ugly!
    you had an opinion and used a "discussion" forum to relate it.
    some people are too quick to jump on the shit wagon of proper word usage and grammer.