Options

...and your fav album of '06 so far is......

13»

Comments

• Options
    LabyrinthLabyrinth Posts: 25
    JSBE wrote:
    echoes has good taste in music, so sorry if you don't know any of the tons of awesome bands that are outside of your commercial 'alternative rock' fm station...

pearl jam, chili peppers and tool won't be in my top 10 come the end of the year. maybe tool will be, but they are all good albums, just not really my main thing anymore.

you're so fucking cool dude... Pearl Jam, Chili Peppers, & Tool aren't in your top 10 anymore, you're just so fucking indie & cool, I hope someday I can be as cool & as underground as you.. It's so fucking cool to register with a Pearl Jam message board & post messages on it about how Pearl Jam isn't your thing anymore man, that's real cool of you, what a wild life you have, I'm so jealous of how cool you are JSBE.
  • Options
    oh & same to you echoes, really, same to you Echoes

Because everyone knows how indie Wilco & Pavement are, you're real indie & underground for liking bands like the Arcade Fire who were on the cover of Canada's 'TIME magazine', that's real underground of you, I can tell you really know a lot about indie music...
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Echoes wrote:
    As for the "all so lame"? I guess I was just expressing an unhapiness with everyone's willingness to stick with what they know, especially given so much choice these day. There have been tonnes of great albums out this year, and still every post (almost exclusively) contains tool/pearl jam/rhcp/wolfmother. Maybe some of these people listen to lots of music and honestly choose to prefer these albums. I don't begrudge them that. I have a sneaking suspicion that these albums are on there because they are the only albums these people know about/have listened to this year, and I honestly think that is pretty lame. Maybe that makes me a snob, I don't know. I like to give everything a shot, and I wish other people would to. I listened to the Tool album a good 5 times to see if I missed anything when it didn't do anything for me the first time (turns out I didn't really). I don't know why I care so much about what other people listen to, maybe I don't, and maybe I just think it is lame that they are limiting themselves, and that's why I said that. Sorry if I'm a prick for saying what I'm thinking out loud.

i dont have the new rhcp, tool, or wolfmother. i couldnt care less. i dont listen to the radio. it's crap. but i also dont have the money or time to spend scouring the web and indie rags and whatnot looking for relatively obscure bands. i get recommendations from friends and whatnot (oftentimes on here). sometimes it works out (my morning jacket is good), sometimes not (kings of leon SUCKS). it's possible id love that band you mentioned, but becos you come on here with your "you're all so lame" comment i will never bother to listen to it figuring it's as pretentious as you are. ive bought/listened to maybe 10 new albums this year, and that's a lot for me. my limit has to do with my time and wallet, as i imagine is the case with many on here who would prefer to hear a rhcp album that they know they'll like rather than dropping a fortune on 10 obscure albums that may be hit and miss. to some people, music is their life. to others, it's just a pleasant soundtrack to life. if that makes me lame, so be it.
  • Options
    Voodoo999Voodoo999 Posts: 11
    the 2 records of the year for me: the new sonic youth (seriously, it is THAT good) and the new pearl jam.
  • Options
    thankyougrandmathankyougrandma Posts: 1,182
    it's a tough one so far, so many good new album:

Pearl Jam - Pearl Jam
    Death by Sexy - Eagles of Death Metal
    Malajube - Trompe L'oeil
    Gomez - How we operate
    The Strokes - First Impression of earht
    Saintes Catherines - Dancing for Decadence
    Tool - 10000 Days
    Dany Placard - Rang de l'église
    Islands - Return to the sea

Also Sonic Youth is awesome, just not release so i'll wait.

Waiting for The Dears, Arcade Fire, Sonic Youth (the real thing), Muse, Raconteurs, Radiohead...
    "L'homme est né libre, et partout il est dans les fers"
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    gusturtlegusturtle Posts: 442
    bruce's seeger sessions / pearl jam

too close to call at this point
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    Labyrinth wrote:
    oh & same to you echoes, really, same to you Echoes

Because everyone knows how indie Wilco & Pavement are, you're real indie & underground for liking bands like the Arcade Fire who were on the cover of Canada's 'TIME magazine', that's real underground of you, I can tell you really know a lot about indie music...

Uhhh dude I pretty much said that I recognised that I wasn't that indie, and that a lot of bands I liked were pretty well known. It was right there in my post! I thought it was pretty clear but I guess not, huh. I mean if you want I could have TRIED to be "indie" and namedropped stuff like boris or apse or molasses or even some of the bigger names I listen to like stereolab or yo la tengo. I'm sure tht would have been more "inide" but then again that isn't my point

While I am glad that you are jealous of how cool I am, the fact is I've been registered here since september 2003, when, surprise surprise, I WAS a huge Pearl Jam fan. I didn't think that Pearl Jam had to be in one of my top ten bands in order to post here. I didn't know that the fact that I don't like the same bands everyone else does makes me an ironic hipster out to stir shit up around here. I'm not sorry I like different music than you, but I'm sorry my opinions seem to bother you. And you know, if they bug you that much, fuck them, they are essentially worthless. But I have fun talking about music, so I'm going to keep it up as long as I have a few people to discuss it with.
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    gusturtlegusturtle Posts: 442
    Voodoo999 wrote:
    the new sonic youth (seriously, it is THAT good)

they were on 'gilmore girls' last week.
  • Options
    frogwater wrote:
    they were on 'gilmore girls' last week.

yeh, saw them perform what a waste with thurston and kim's daughter. i have no idea why they were on that lame show but it's been long since they had to prove something or explain themselves.

edit: btw, the real thing (retail) is already out, just look in the right places.
  • Options
    i dont have the new rhcp, tool, or wolfmother. i couldnt care less. i dont listen to the radio. it's crap. but i also dont have the money or time to spend scouring the web and indie rags and whatnot looking for relatively obscure bands. i get recommendations from friends and whatnot (oftentimes on here). sometimes it works out (my morning jacket is good), sometimes not (kings of leon SUCKS). it's possible id love that band you mentioned, but becos you come on here with your "you're all so lame" comment i will never bother to listen to it figuring it's as pretentious as you are. ive bought/listened to maybe 10 new albums this year, and that's a lot for me. my limit has to do with my time and wallet, as i imagine is the case with many on here who would prefer to hear a rhcp album that they know they'll like rather than dropping a fortune on 10 obscure albums that may be hit and miss. to some people, music is their life. to others, it's just a pleasant soundtrack to life. if that makes me lame, so be it.

I never said "You're all so lame," it was "all so lame," directed at the albums that were chosen, not necessarily the people. I know I expressed annoyance at the narrow-mindedness of people, but ultimately it was the choices that made it lame, not the people. Uhhh I'd post more but I have to get to work. The gist of what I had to say would have been this - you can preview most albums on the internet these days. Or in the record store. Most of the albums I had bought had a full stream on the internet before their release. It doesn't have to be a shot in the dark. Most of these bands have histories too, so you know what they are going to sound like (approximately). I'm sorry my comment is going to steer you away from Destroyer, Dan is a really great dude who writes some great things
  • Options
    Voodoo999 wrote:
    yeh, saw them perform what a waste with thurston and kim's daughter. i have no idea why they were on that lame show but it's been long since they had to prove something or explain themselves.

The gilmores girls are actually pretty hot. I was glad I watched the show
  • Options
    the mom is hot, the daughter's got a forehead bigger than her face.
  • Options
    Voodoo999 wrote:

edit: btw, the real thing (retail) is already out, just look in the right places.

really? i'll sure try to find it, thanks for the info.
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    really? i'll sure try to find it, thanks for the info.

be greedy as a pig and you'll find it
  • Options
    Voodoo999 wrote:
    be greedy as a pig and you'll find it

this dude knows where it is at.
  • Options
    StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    wow this thread is like fucking WW3

not liking an album does not make you an indie snob. i've heard the new RHCP and the Tool thing and I have to admit, they both sucked immensely. I love the new Pearl Jam though, go figure.

If an album is bad, it's bad. I dont really think having "indie cred" has anything to do with it.

Is that Destroyer record worth checking out Echoes? I've heard good things.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • Options
    so far the ones i like from this year Are

Pearl jam_ Pearl Jam
    RHCP_ Stadium Arcadium
    Thursday_ A City By the Light Divided
    Wolf Mother_ Wolf Mother
    Jack Johnson_ Curious George
    Yeah Yeah Yeahs_ Show Your Bones
    Ben Harper_ Both Sides of A gun
    WE Are Scientists_ With love and Squalor
    The Subways_ Young For Eternity
    The Arctic Monkeys_ Whatever People Say About Me, That Waht I am Not
    Matusyahu_ Youth
    "I Will Scream my Lungs out 'til it fills this Room "

" I Will Feel Alive as Long as I am Free"

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

www.myspace.com/ehoff12982
  • Options
    transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    StoneG82 wrote:
    Is that Destroyer record worth checking out Echoes? I've heard good things.
    not that you asked me, however I will second it once Echoes agrees that yeah, it is worth checking out.
  • Options
    Echoes wrote:
    The gilmores girls are actually pretty hot. I was glad I watched the show

well, i do have to agree with you here. ive been in love with alexis bledel since i saw her in sin city.

sorry if i jumped on you. like i said i had a roomate like that and it's so annoying. it's like the pot calling the kettle black when indie snobs start getting into how lame people are if they like anything mainstream. im glad you're not really like that.
  • Options
    well, i do have to agree with you here. ive been in love with alexis bledel since i saw her in sin city.

sorry if i jumped on you. like i said i had a roomate like that and it's so annoying. it's like the pot calling the kettle black when indie snobs start getting into how lame people are if they like anything mainstream. im glad you're not really like that.

especially those highlighted blue eyes in SIN CITY...:D wow! i'm with you there, soulsinging!
  • Options

yes yes and yes, i had no idea who she was, but this scene where she slowly walks in the dark just made me want to know her more :).

back to music...
    -Jean-Jacques Rousseau
  • Options
    Echoes wrote:
    Uhhh dude I pretty much said that I recognised that I wasn't that indie, and that a lot of bands I liked were pretty well known. It was right there in my post! I thought it was pretty clear but I guess not, huh. I mean if you want I could have TRIED to be "indie" and namedropped stuff like boris or apse or molasses or even some of the bigger names I listen to like stereolab or yo la tengo. I'm sure tht would have been more "inide" but then again that isn't my point

While I am glad that you are jealous of how cool I am, the fact is I've been registered here since september 2003, when, surprise surprise, I WAS a huge Pearl Jam fan. I didn't think that Pearl Jam had to be in one of my top ten bands in order to post here. I didn't know that the fact that I don't like the same bands everyone else does makes me an ironic hipster out to stir shit up around here. I'm not sorry I like different music than you, but I'm sorry my opinions seem to bother you. And you know, if they bug you that much, fuck them, they are essentially worthless. But I have fun talking about music, so I'm going to keep it up as long as I have a few people to discuss it with.

OH! You thought I was being sarcastic?! No no no no no... You're really cool, it's real cool of you to post on a PJ message board when you don't even like them that much anymore, you must really have an exciting & fulfilling life with a great girlfriend & dog & everything - You really know a lot about music if you're name dropping such underground acts as Wilco & Radiohead... you're really thinking outside the box... Hey this Radiohead band you talk about, what do they sound like? I don't think any of us have heard them before, especially me.. Are they a local band? Tell us more about all the indie bands you like, you seem to know a lot.
  • Options
    even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    Knopfler/Harris duet album. What can I say I really dig Dire Straits.
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • Options
    transplant wrote:
    not that you asked me, however I will second it once Echoes agrees that yeah, it is worth checking out.

It is VERY worth checking out. I like it more than Streethawk/Your Blues (although those have my favourite 2 destroyer songs on it). It is really top heavy though, and the first 6 songs are way better than the last 4 (although the last 4 are still pretty cool). Definately worht checking out, and if you like it he has a pretty decent back catalogue that I haven't heard all of yet, but really like what I've heard. I highly recommend the destroyer, in other words.

soulsinging, sorry if I seemed antagonistic, I'm glad we don't hate each other, you're a cool dude. alexis is hella hot.

Labyrinth, what can I say? It is a decent community with a fairly active music board, with some people who are great to chat with. I'm sorry that we disagree on what is a necessary qualification for posting ona PJ message board. If you've noticed, you don't see me very much outside of Other Music, so it isn't like I'm shitting all over Pearl Jam in the porch or words and communication. I still love everything pre-Yield. Everything after has been kind of iffy, but that's another discussion for another place.

Once again, are you even reading my posts? I mean I am probably going to encourage you not to, since it is far more hilarious when you just post what you want to.
  • Options
    cordurologycordurology Posts: 226
    Next to Avocado (of course), I'd go with the new Raconteurs record.
    Lex 03, Gorge 05, Cincy 06
  • Options
    Echoes wrote:
    soulsinging, sorry if I seemed antagonistic, I'm glad we don't hate each other, you're a cool dude. alexis is hella hot.

Labyrinth, what can I say? It is a decent community with a fairly active music board, with some people who are great to chat with. I'm sorry that we disagree on what is a necessary qualification for posting ona PJ message board. If you've noticed, you don't see me very much outside of Other Music, so it isn't like I'm shitting all over Pearl Jam in the porch or words and communication. I still love everything pre-Yield. Everything after has been kind of iffy, but that's another discussion for another place.

Once again, are you even reading my posts? I mean I am probably going to encourage you not to, since it is far more hilarious when you just post what you want to.

no apology necessary. im the one that jumped the gun. it would appear labyrinth is the type of person i was talking about. i hate people who feel like they can pass judgment on somebody based on their taste in music.

and alexis is wocked hot. somebody mentioned that scene in sin city talking about how she'd done and seen all kinds in that voice... mama mia... i was in love!
  • Options
    JSBEJSBE Posts: 1,075
    Labyrinth wrote:
    you're so fucking cool dude... Pearl Jam, Chili Peppers, & Tool aren't in your top 10 anymore, you're just so fucking indie & cool, I hope someday I can be as cool & as underground as you.. It's so fucking cool to register with a Pearl Jam message board & post messages on it about how Pearl Jam isn't your thing anymore man, that's real cool of you, what a wild life you have, I'm so jealous of how cool you are JSBE.

yes!!! my coolness has been validated! you better put in some damn hard work to get as cool and indie and underground as me...it is going to take a lot of black metal blood, punk sweat and emo boy tears...or something.

i don't even know why i'm bothering saying this, but i've been a pearl jam fan since ten came out and i like all of their albums. i joined the message board after being a lurker for many many years so i could chime in here and there. most of my posts are in other music or AET.

by "not my thing" i meant that i give a lot of other music repeat listens way more than pearl jam (and rhcp and tool for that matter). i'll listen the hell out of the new pj/rhcp/tool album for a few months and then probably won't listen to it again for a few more months if not longer. i was just basically saying that my musical tastes have grown / expanded (but not completely changed).

i've seen pearl jam almost a dozen times, going twice more in a few weeks. i've seen the chili peppers about a half dozen times and i'm going again in the fall. i've seen tool twice and tried to get tickets to their small venue tour.

i don't give two shits if you want to listen explicitly to the same 10 songs that top alternative radio tell you to listen to just like you shouldn't give two shits about what bands i say i like or don't like...
  • Options
    facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    After Pearl Jam it has to be the new Twilight Singers album Powder Burns - Greg Dulli is a fucking genius. After that, it's Tool, Wolfmother........
  • Options
    7 Kettles7 Kettles Posts: 86
    right now,

1. tool - 10 000 days
    2. pearl jam - pearl jam
    3. built to spill - you in reverse (HAS ANYONE ELSE HEARD THIS???)
    they say god makes problems just to see what you can stand ~ elliott smith
  • Options
    7 Kettles wrote:
    3. built to spill - you in reverse (HAS ANYONE ELSE HEARD THIS???)

It's really fucking good. Top 5 for me so far. I think its better than the other two you have there at the very least