Options

...and your fav album of '06 so far is......

Comments

• Options
    Pearl Jam-it took me a while to get there. Otherwise, I would have had to say Josh Rouse's "Subtitulo", which I like substantially more than Wolfmother, Tool, RHCP, Neil (like what he's saying; not how he's saying it), etc.

I am really, really looking forward to The Raconteurs on Tuesday though.
    i disagree about Neil (as it seems most others do ;) ), but the Raconteurs record is going to be amazing.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    rarabean wrote:

But Josh Pyke, my fellow Sydneysider, he rocks.

indeed he does.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    derek trucks band - songlines

and pearl jam "pearl jam"
  • Options
    burnin-candleburnin-candle Posts: 158
    I'll leave out PJ. I've had Wolfmother since last year, so I'll leave that out, too. Other than that...in no order...

Man Man - Six Demon Bag
    Islands - Return to the Sea
    Derek Trucks Band - Songlines
    Boris - Pink
    Drive-by Truckers - Blessing and a Curse

and maybe Mono and Mogwai, but there's way too many to come out in the future that would come into that list.
    "If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done"

If you can't get high on purely music and the sounds that you hear, you're missing out on something.
  • Options
    JSBEJSBE Posts: 1,075
    band of horses - everything all the time
    i love you but i've chosen darkness - fear is on our side
    dbt - blessing and a curse
  • Options
    StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    StoneG82 wrote:
    so far my favorites have been:

from a compound eye - robert pollard
    pearl jam

and the new neil.

I've gotta add a few:

the Loose Fur record is great, as is "Everything all the Time" by Band of Horses.

one of the best records released this year is Built To Spill - You In Reverse.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • Options
    StoneG82 wrote:
    one of the best records released this year is Built To Spill - You In Reverse.

it is really good, just not as good as perfect from now on or keep it like a secret...but way better than ancient melodies...
  • Options
    tribejammer05tribejammer05 W'Ville, OH Posts: 696
    Does anyone have the new Paul Simon record? I've read a number of great reviews.
    "There's a $10,000 bill in it for you."
    "Oh yeah? Which president's on it?"
    "Uh, all of them. They're having a party. Jimmy Carter's passed out on the couch."

Columbus 2000
    Columbus 2003
    Hershey 2003
    Toledo 2004
    Cincinnati 2006
    Chicago/Lollapalooza 2007
    Columbus 2010
    Chicago/Wrigley 2013
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Portland 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
  • Options
    Wolfmother

The Black Keys
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,115
    The only album I've bought this year is Pearl Jam, so I'll go with that one.
  • Options
    dCowboyPJdCowboyPJ Posts: 479
    Pearl Jam- Pearl Jam
    RHCP- Stadium Arcadium
    Sam Roberts- Chemical City
    Godsmack- IV
  • Options
    chrisopaloozachrisopalooza Posts: 347
    hands down

UNDER A BILLION SONS -- Mudhoney
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Echoes wrote:
    all so lame

Destroyer - Rubies

look out guys... it's the way-cooler-than-you indie rock fan. he's rocking to bands you've never HEARD of. if your album sells more than 1000 copies, you're obviously pop trash and he wont listen to you so you better make sure your music is unlistenable!

get over yourself dude. you remind me of my punk ass roomate from college and he need to have that stick removed from his egotistic arsehole too.

my fav album this year? pearl jam. built to spill was ok but not what i'd hoped for.
  • Options
    Jammin909Jammin909 Posts: 888
    Thursday - City by the Light Divided
    Flaming Lips - War with the Mystics
    PJ - PJ
    PJ - every bootleg
    The less you know, the more you believe.
  • Options
    Housing JimHousing Jim Posts: 644
    Pearl Jam is kind of a given....it's a cracking record and deserves to be album of the year.

others that I've liked this year are:

Arctic Monkeys - Whatever You Say I Am, That's What I'm Not

Mogwai - Mr Beast

Hundred Reasons - Kill Your Own

and Taking Back Sunday - Louder Now
    A democracy on paper, apparently well ordered, regularly subverted by irrational chaos.

Manchester - 4/6/2000
    London - 20/4/2006
    Dublin - 23/8/2006
    London - 18/6/2007
    New York City - 24/6/2008
    New York City - 25/6/2008 - we will be "what is up" New York
    Manchester - 18/8/2009
    Manchester - 20/6/2012
    Leeds - 6/7/2014
    London - 18/6/2018
  • Options
    At war with Mystics
    1000 Days
    Wolfmother
    ...and not implying any bias at all, PJ is head and shoulders above 'em!
  • Options
    hodgehodge Posts: 519
    10,000 days
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
  • Options
    look out guys... it's the way-cooler-than-you indie rock fan. he's rocking to bands you've never HEARD of. if your album sells more than 1000 copies, you're obviously pop trash and he wont listen to you so you better make sure your music is unlistenable!

echoes has good taste in music, so sorry if you don't know any of the tons of awesome bands that are outside of your commercial 'alternative rock' fm station...

pearl jam, chili peppers and tool won't be in my top 10 come the end of the year. maybe tool will be, but they are all good albums, just not really my main thing anymore.
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279

I'm sure Destoyer has sold more than 1000 copies, and I still like them. I'm sorry that just because I don't think any of the new releases by the radio darlings aren't any good (although some of them have some good tracks) it makes me the cooler than you indie rock fan. Indie is pretty much just as mainstream as any other rock and roll out there, and to think that all the bands are playing in tiny dank clubs and selling hundreds of copies alone is a fallacy. True, they may not be making loads of money and they may not be headlining festivals and they may not be playing arena shows, but they are hardly "unknowns." There is a rapidly increasing fanbase and set of people who are educating them selves, for better or for worse, about what alternatives there are to top 40 acts like the chili peppers, tool, and pearl jam (and of late, the white stripes/wolfmother).

I don't consider myself a holier than thou indie wank simply because I know there are tens of thousands of them across the world. I don't think very many of the bands I listen to are "true unknowns" in the sense that no one knows of them. That is just how I feel, but maybe I'm wrong. Basically, Labelling someone as an indie prat because we listen to bands you haven't heard of, and are disliking albums you are liking. To speak the very truth, I hate a band or an album because it sucks, not because it is popular. If it is good, I'll like it, no matter how popular it is, examples being stuff like the Arcade Fire and Wilco and Pavement, and Radiohead. And the first half of Tool's career.

As for the "all so lame"? I guess I was just expressing an unhapiness with everyone's willingness to stick with what they know, especially given so much choice these day. There have been tonnes of great albums out this year, and still every post (almost exclusively) contains tool/pearl jam/rhcp/wolfmother. Maybe some of these people listen to lots of music and honestly choose to prefer these albums. I don't begrudge them that. I have a sneaking suspicion that these albums are on there because they are the only albums these people know about/have listened to this year, and I honestly think that is pretty lame. Maybe that makes me a snob, I don't know. I like to give everything a shot, and I wish other people would to. I listened to the Tool album a good 5 times to see if I missed anything when it didn't do anything for me the first time (turns out I didn't really). I don't know why I care so much about what other people listen to, maybe I don't, and maybe I just think it is lame that they are limiting themselves, and that's why I said that. Sorry if I'm a prick for saying what I'm thinking out loud.

On the other ahnd, I KNOW I'm a major prick for writing this much crap on really nothing at all. Sorry to anyone who read it. Hope it made some time of sense

and thanks for the vote of confidence JSBE, probably the first to say something along those lines. I appreciate it.
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    Echoes wrote:
    I'm sure Destoyer has sold more than 1000 copies, and I still like them. I'm sorry that just because I don't think any of the new releases by the radio darlings aren't any good (although some of them have some good tracks) it makes me the cooler than you indie rock fan. Indie is pretty much just as mainstream as any other rock and roll out there, and to think that all the bands are playing in tiny dank clubs and selling hundreds of copies alone is a fallacy. True, they may not be making loads of money and they may not be headlining festivals and they may not be playing arena shows, but they are hardly "unknowns." There is a rapidly increasing fanbase and set of people who are educating them selves, for better or for worse, about what alternatives there are to top 40 acts like the chili peppers, tool, and pearl jam (and of late, the white stripes/wolfmother).

I don't consider myself a holier than thou indie wank simply because I know there are tens of thousands of them across the world. I don't think very many of the bands I listen to are "true unknowns" in the sense that no one knows of them. That is just how I feel, but maybe I'm wrong. Basically, Labelling someone as an indie prat because we listen to bands you haven't heard of, and are disliking albums you are liking. To speak the very truth, I hate a band or an album because it sucks, not because it is popular. If it is good, I'll like it, no matter how popular it is, examples being stuff like the Arcade Fire and Wilco and Pavement, and Radiohead. And the first half of Tool's career.

As for the "all so lame"? I guess I was just expressing an unhapiness with everyone's willingness to stick with what they know, especially given so much choice these day. There have been tonnes of great albums out this year, and still every post (almost exclusively) contains tool/pearl jam/rhcp/wolfmother. Maybe some of these people listen to lots of music and honestly choose to prefer these albums. I don't begrudge them that. I have a sneaking suspicion that these albums are on there because they are the only albums these people know about/have listened to this year, and I honestly think that is pretty lame. Maybe that makes me a snob, I don't know. I like to give everything a shot, and I wish other people would to. I listened to the Tool album a good 5 times to see if I missed anything when it didn't do anything for me the first time (turns out I didn't really). I don't know why I care so much about what other people listen to, maybe I don't, and maybe I just think it is lame that they are limiting themselves, and that's why I said that. Sorry if I'm a prick for saying what I'm thinking out loud.

On the other ahnd, I KNOW I'm a major prick for writing this much crap on really nothing at all. Sorry to anyone who read it. Hope it made some time of sense

and thanks for the vote of confidence JSBE, probably the first to say something along those lines. I appreciate it.

I dont know any indie elitist that likes the Arcade Fire, Wilco, and RADIOHEAD especially.

I thought it was cool to hate those bands.
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • Options
    StoneG82 wrote:
    I dont know any indie elitist that likes the Arcade Fire, Wilco, and RADIOHEAD especially.

I thought it was cool to hate those bands.

well, HTTT had a lot of down moments but the previous 4 were all pretty sweet, if you ask me.

I think it is cool to hate on any band pfork gives greater than an 8.5, and this goes for both indie elitists and mainstream superheroes
  • Options
    Echoes wrote:
    well, HTTT had a lot of down moments but the previous 4 were all pretty sweet, if you ask me.

I think it is cool to hate on any band pfork gives greater than an 8.5, and this goes for both indie elitists and mainstream superheroes

I'm somewhat of a pitchfork hater myself, actually....but they have been right on with a few records, like the band of horses thing and giving I See a Darkness a 10.

the new pearl jam was definitely deserving of more than a 5.5, though.
  • Options
    illfatedillfated Posts: 65
    tool - 10000days

tie for second is...

Sonic Youth - Rather Ripped
    Ministry - Rio Grande Blood - June9th baby...Ottawa
  • Options
    StoneG82 wrote:
    I'm somewhat of a pitchfork hater myself, actually....but they have been right on with a few records, like the band of horses thing and giving I See a Darkness a 10.

the new pearl jam was definitely deserving of more than a 5.5, though.

5.5 sat about right with me, but I know lots of people (especially around here holy shit) that will disagree with every single major album rating they've given out lately. I disagree with a lot of their stuff, namely BtS getting a low 6 or whatever. I still think that is a great album.

If they give an album a 10, they are usually pretty on the money, I haven't seen many shitty albums get a perfect score. If they give something a 9 or high 8 they are usually on it, but you really have to take it with a grain of salt because sometimes they give average albums phenomenal marks for some reason which is beyond me.

I think the buig problem most people have is that they rate their favourite albums too low, at which point I say fuck 'em, I don't need a music reviews site's validation to like music. So I don't harbour any huge amount of hate towards them, but neither do I really follow what they say that much. All my favourite albums this year I had my paws on before pitchfork could rate them, anyways.

They are a hitmaker in the indie world, though. Especially in some of the downlaoding communities
  • Options
    that rating of the new BTS record was a travesty.

It's definitely one of my favorites (if not my favorite right now) of 2006.
  • Options
    Echoes wrote:
    To speak the very truth, I hate a band or an album because it sucks, not because it is popular. If it is good, I'll like it, no matter how popular it is.....I don't know why I care so much about what other people listen to, maybe I don't, and maybe I just think it is lame that they are limiting themselves, and that's why I said that. Sorry if I'm a prick for saying what I'm thinking out loud.

echoes, i've seen enough of your posts to be pretty damn sure i was going to see you post something to the effect of what you posted.

to put it very simplistic, almost forrest gumpish - i like the music i like and don't like what i don't. i'll give anything a listen -more on the free samples or mp3s as opposed to the straight - out blind buy these days due to the combination of getting 'burned' too many times / bills and expenses.

i used to be a so-called indie snob if you will, but it was something i grew out of.

as for pitchfork - their ratings are so formulaic i can literally guess within a few tenths of a point as to what they will give any album. you know they were not going to give pearl jam a 9 or tool an 8.5 so i really don't know why people are shocked (unless they were just introduced to pitchfork or think the musical universe revolves around pearl jam, which a lot here do). if they give an album something really high (ie - 8.5+) i will check it out, but most of the stuff they trump isn't my thing.
  • Options
    Echoes wrote:
    I think the big problem most people have is that they rate their favourite albums too low, at which point I say fuck 'em, I don't need a music reviews site's validation to like music.

bingo.

stupid ten characters.
  • Options
    kintockintoc Posts: 9
    This is my first post, ever, but in my opinion...

Pearl Jam's new album is right up there...

But for those who haven't got Wolfmother's album you be mad not to give it a go, great album and gets you going...

A few people have said 10,000 days, I was actually a little dissapointed... Lateralus was awesome and I have found 10,000 days a long way off...

Strokes is cool....

Either way, play count for Pearl Jam album in iTunes is up to 60...
    ===============================================
    **** 10c member since April 2001, Addicterd since '94
    Adelaide 1998, 2003, 2006 x2
    Melbourne 2006 x 3

Adelaide November 17th 2009
    Melbourne November 20th 2009
    ===============================================
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    but the Raconteurs record is going to be amazing.

yes I'm eagerly awaiting that as well. its tomorrow!!!

in answer to the original question,

Pearl Jam
    Living With War
    Stadium Arcadium
    honorable mention to Springsteen, Seeger sessions.
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options
    apart from Pearl Jam

go with The Grates - Gravity Won't Get You High
    Wave came crashing...