silverchair, opinions

Comments

• soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    When did I say the best songs are singles? I simply said that if I cant even like any of a bands singles that I am not gonna like the rest of their music, that statement has held true for me so far in my life.

and all im saying is silverchair is not a good band for that philosophy. more than most other bands i can think of, their singles really dont reflect their music. i doubt you'd care for silverchair given your tastes as ive seen them. im just saying that just becos you've heard 2 singles that sound like safe light-rock doesn't mean the band is trying to be coldplay. they're nothing like coldplay.
  • not4u10not4u10 Posts: 238
    When did I say the best songs are singles? I simply said that if I cant even like any of a bands singles that I am not gonna like the rest of their music, that statement has held true for me so far in my life.

O.K. You are entitled to that opinion. I couldn't disagree more, but that's cool.

Personally, I can't stand Daughter (album/radio version) not live, but I love the rest of the album. Songs not meant to be singles, Indifference, Rats, etc. I think are awesome compared to a song such as Daughter.

I tend to think singles only give you a false sense of what a band's sound is really like.
    08/28/98-09/01/00-12/08/02-12/09/02-04/28/03-05/03/03-07/05/03-07/06/03-07/08/03-07/09/03-07/12/03-10/01/04-10/03/05-05/13/06-05/27/06-05/28/06-06/01/06-06/03/06-06/19/08-06/25/08-10/28/09-10/31/09-05/17/10-10/19/13-10/21/13-10/27/13-4/28/16
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    I didn't mind some stuff on Neon Ballroom.. but after that.. that was it for me... I see a newer video of theirs and he looks and sounds like JT now lol... I had a friend with the new album and everything I heard was really really bad. I can't wait to miss their set at lolla hah
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • Oz JammerOz Jammer Posts: 9,858
    chitty wrote:
    though I would have loved to have heard something from frogstomp.

Good luck mate. Unfortunately I think Daniel's got a Frogstomp phobia. You might snag Israel's Son once every now and then, but that's it :(
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    not4u10 wrote:
    O.K. You are entitled to that opinion. I couldn't disagree more, but that's cool.

Personally, I can't stand Daughter (album/radio version) not live, but I love the rest of the album. Songs not meant to be singles, Indifference, Rats, etc. I think are awesome compared to a song such as Daughter.

I tend to think singles only give you a false sense of what a band's sound is really like.

I completely disagree with that last statement, even Pearl Jam has the same sound as what is played on the radio by them.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
    I completely disagree with that last statement, even Pearl Jam has the same sound as what is played on the radio by them.

who you are is representative of the band's sound? that single almost singlehandedly killed their career. people heard it and went "what the fuck?" and refused to even listen to no code. and they've been sliding into obscurity ever since. they were the biggest band in the world. a single like hail, hail would have kept them on top. i dont think their singles are definitive, and they can be very misleading at times. as silverchair's have been at times.
  • mulva9mulva9 Posts: 417
    I love Oasis, but if I was going off of their singles and heard "Songbird" then I wouldn't even give them a second chance.

Silverchair is still a great band, and can still rock when they want to.
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    If you guys don't think they have a rock bone left in their body, then you have not heard them live. Their live sets rock as hard as any Pearl Jam set. The Neon Ballroom, Diorama, and Young Modern songs have total balls live.

Emotion Sickness
    Greatest View
    Without You
    Too Much of Not Enough
    The Lever
    Young Modern Station
    If You Keep Losing Sleep (amazing live)
    etc. The list could go on for a while.

If you guys pass on them, that's your bad. Daniel is one of the best frontmen today, I think if you saw them live you might change your mind.

All this talk of singles is crazy. Straight Lines is a good song, but easily wouldn't be a record companies first choice (Reflections of a Sound or Waiting All Day), sound familliar ? Come on pjoasis, Nothing as it Seems or Lyla? Easily not the best choice for hits, while good songs from good albums.

I just wish people would get over their drop-d distortioned sound that they think Silverchair should be. They're a great band that has only just started andhas many more incredible albums in them.
  • 7 Kettles7 Kettles Posts: 86
    not4u10 wrote:
    If you like Coldplay more than silverchair, that says it all.

agreed...what a pitiful statement. some of the people on this board are utterly hopeless.

silverchair sounds 100% different than coldplay...i can't believe they were even compared in the first place.

i feel sorry for anyone who can't enjoy "diorama" or "young modern"...in my books, they're probably 2 of the best albums to be released in the last 5 years.
    they say god makes problems just to see what you can stand ~ elliott smith
  • deadmosquitodeadmosquito Posts: 729
    If you guys don't think they have a rock bone left in their body, then you have not heard them live. Their live sets rock as hard as any Pearl Jam set. The Neon Ballroom, Diorama, and Young Modern songs have total balls live.

Emotion Sickness
    Greatest View
    Without You
    Too Much of Not Enough
    The Lever
    Young Modern Station
    If You Keep Losing Sleep (amazing live)
    etc. The list could go on for a while.

If you guys pass on them, that's your bad. Daniel is one of the best frontmen today, I think if you saw them live you might change your mind.

All this talk of singles is crazy. Straight Lines is a good song, but easily wouldn't be a record companies first choice (Reflections of a Sound or Waiting All Day), sound familliar ? Come on pjoasis, Nothing as it Seems or Lyla? Easily not the best choice for hits, while good songs from good albums.

I just wish people would get over their drop-d distortioned sound that they think Silverchair should be. They're a great band that has only just started andhas many more incredible albums in them.

i know what you're saying and i mostly agree with you... but i think if i was listening to young modern for the first time, and a record exec, i would definitely choose walking in a straight line as the single. i find it to be the most immediate, catchy song on the record and that's why i would lead off with it. that said, i LOVE that song. i was a bit skeptical at first, but i really do find it to be a great song and a really really good album. is it neon ballroom or diorama? no. but is it great? yes. they are one of the best bands around now and those who choose not to listen to them because they don't make frogstomp- or freakshow-sounding records anymore, fuck em. we get them. and that's all that matters.
  • wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    We just saw them at the Showbox in Seattle on Friday night. It was a really good show. Haven't followed them, but liked them when they first came out and we were going to be in town anyway so decided to go. I'm glad we did.
    Here's the set list/review I found on their site. :)

http://www.chairpage.com/press_releases/item/515/
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • PearlerPearler Posts: 191
    I like their old stuff but not a huge fan of the newer stuff.
  • DaytimeDilemmaDaytimeDilemma Posts: 2,008
    The fact that Radiohead and Silverchair are brought up in the same breathe is laughable. Besides that, I like a few songs on Diorama and quite a bit of Neon Ballroom. But their new songs sound terribly, terribly tame even by Coldplay standards.
  • Thorns2010Thorns2010 Posts: 2,200
    The one good thing I get for not going to Lolla to see Pearl Jam is that I get to see Silverchair in a 1,500 person club on Aug. 5th instead.

And yes I know Silverchair is playing Lolla as well, but come on, festival shows are never as good as the individual shows from a band!
  • im in the middle.

I love neon ballroom and diorama, but also love frogstomp. freak show not so much. seeing them at brixtaan academy ina couple of weeks, will check out young modern before that. i think they needed to evolve, you can't expect any band to turn out the same sound over and over again...

same with pearl jam and radiohead, if you don't like the new direction, stick with the old, just don't ecpect to hear it live, that was what happened with people at the wembley show, they were disappointed because of five songs being played from the first three albums.
    The fact that Radiohead and Silverchair are brought up in the same breathe is laughable.

i know, radiohead doesn't even play rock music. it's not fair to expect them to compare to silverchair. ;)
  • mulva9mulva9 Posts: 417
    i know, radiohead doesn't even play rock music. it's not fair to expect them to compare to silverchair. ;)

Haha. Right on.
  • DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    You know how I know you're gay?

You listen to Silverchair....oh wait minute that's Coldpay.

My fault.
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

This whole Silverchair/Coldplay thing is getting a bit old. As soon as Silverchair adds a piano to their music the Coldplay jabs start coming in. Call me crazy, but I'm pretty sure there were a lot of bands that played melodic, poppy rock songs before Coldplay (Beatles, Rolling Stones)
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    I love the way how some retards think Coldplay were the first band to use piano and falsetto vocals......

I've never been a huge fan of Silverchair - saw them way back in '95 at Reading festival and they just sounded like a very average grunge band. There's been a couple of songs I've liked here and there, like Ana's Song, but nothing to get me to go buy an album. But, I must say I'm really enjoying the new sound, I'll definitely be looking into the new record.

Oh and I can't stand Coldplay.
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    heard the one with the frog on the front cover......deeply unimpressed, rated them even lower than bush. they had a song on the godzilla soundtrack which many have just been oooookay
    elmer wrote:
    heard the one with the frog on the front cover......deeply unimpressed, rated them even lower than bush. they had a song on the godzilla soundtrack which many have just been oooookay

well, they were a whopping 15 years old when that album with the frog was made. and they were nothing more than bush's younger brother... a grunge clone. they sound nothing like that anymore.

as to the constant coldplay references... id like those people to listen to the last 3 albums and tell me when coldplay has ever written songs as heavy as:

spawn again
    point of view
    steam will rise
    black tangled heart
    paint pastel princess
    the lever
    one way mule
    young modern station
    if yuo keep losing sleep
    mindreader

coldplay is so tame it doesnt have a heartbeat. silverchar certainly has a few power ballad singles, but they are not indicative at all of the true talent the band has.
  • lowlight10lowlight10 Posts: 619

spawn again
    point of view
    steam will rise
    black tangled heart
    paint pastel princess

Spawn Again is the equivalent of XYU in terms of a mix of rage and melody, IMO. just amazing! Neon Ballroom is a GREAT album. I popped it in a couple of weeks ago and it has been spinning non-stop. even Anthem, which I used to skip, sounds great! screw all these people who formed their opinions on Silverchair back in 95, when the awesome but more mainstream Frogstomp came out. you people are missing out on one of the true modern talents in music.

there is no comparison between Coldplay and Silverchair, absolutely none. and I am a fan of both bands and have heard everything both have ever released.
    -

"In your case, I'll check my brain at the door and we'll start even, okay?"

Have you thanked a taper today?
    well, they were a whopping 15 years old when that album with the frog was made. and they were nothing more than bush's younger brother... a grunge clone. they sound nothing like that anymore.

as to the constant coldplay references... id like those people to listen to the last 3 albums and tell me when coldplay has ever written songs as heavy as:

spawn again
    point of view
    steam will rise
    black tangled heart
    paint pastel princess
    the lever
    one way mule
    young modern station
    if yuo keep losing sleep
    mindreader

coldplay is so tame it doesnt have a heartbeat. silverchar certainly has a few power ballad singles, but they are not indicative at all of the true talent the band has.

Post of the thread
  • 7 Kettles7 Kettles Posts: 86
    Post of the thread

seconded.

i saw silverchair open a show in toronto with "steam will rise" and it's heaviness was overwhelming. good stuff.
    they say god makes problems just to see what you can stand ~ elliott smith
    wolfbear wrote:
    We just saw them at the Showbox in Seattle on Friday night. It was a really good show. Haven't followed them, but liked them when they first came out and we were going to be in town anyway so decided to go. I'm glad we did.
    Here's the set list/review I found on their site. :)

http://www.chairpage.com/press_releases/item/515/

Review of that show.
    http://seattlest.com/2007/07/23/silverchair_mak.php
    08/28/98-09/01/00-12/08/02-12/09/02-04/28/03-05/03/03-07/05/03-07/06/03-07/08/03-07/09/03-07/12/03-10/01/04-10/03/05-05/13/06-05/27/06-05/28/06-06/01/06-06/03/06-06/19/08-06/25/08-10/28/09-10/31/09-05/17/10-10/19/13-10/21/13-10/27/13-4/28/16
    elmer wrote:

They sound nothing like that anymore and do not even play frogstomp. Bush is also a great band, especially their last album.
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    silverchair have little of a fan base in the uk&eire i suspect, I only knew of them initially through american imported guitar mags where they would pop up...... back in 98ish I recall mentioning them to an aussie mate who enjoyed pearljam, he was offended by their mention. their young age may have played a factor as aussie in question was 24 back in those heady days of gusto.

recall that one of those old guitar mags likened the silverchair singers voice to that of eddie vedder. he got paid to say that (???!)
  • asgoodasedasgoodased Posts: 109
    I've probably bought about 300 cd's the last 10 years, and I'd say both "Diorama" and "Young Modern" are in my top 20. The only other band with more than one in my top 20 is the White Stripes.

I pretty much hated everything they did before Diorama. Their new stuff is incredible. Especially when they go "weird". "Those theiving birds" and especially "If you Keep losing sleep" are just great. IYKLS may be the best song I've heard this year.
    I am right by your side...