silverchair, opinions

chittychitty Posts: 609
edited July 2007 in Other Music
Has anyone listened to their new album "young modern?" What do you think and have you seen them live recently?
I have the album and it has taken quite awhile, but I like it alot. VERY different from what you'd expect if all you know is frogstomp.
Saw them in Van tonight and was really good, though I would have loved to have heard something from frogstomp.
Opinions...?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• fadafada Posts: 1,032
    I have their first two albums. The first one is a good offering the second is very weak.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    i think their new one comes out stateside this tuesday. ive heard it previewed though and i dug it. they are one of the most consistently impressive and interesting bands out there. this new one was definitely a big change for them and took some time for me to get it, but once it clicked i really loved it. i even bought the dissociatives album since then... found it for $5 in a used cd shop. if you can get your hands on it and like the new silverchair, you'd probly enjoy this one as well.
  • ledveddermanledvedderman Posts: 7,761
    Silverchair just keeps getting with age (and since they're only in their mid-20's that's good news). Young Modern is a fantastic album, I'm not sure if it beats Diorama yet, but it is close.

I hate their only hitting major US markets this tour, because I have no chance to see them.
  • RedlegsRedlegs Posts: 160
    They don't have a rockin' bone in their bodies anymore. It's more like Coldplay than Silverchair now.

I saw them perform on Leno last week and the lead singer can't hit the high notes anymore. It's actually pretty sad.

edit: I guess he was sick, and doesn't really sing like that.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=OdaZArPPEic
  • not4u10not4u10 Posts: 238
    Redlegs wrote:
    They don't have a rockin' bone in their bodies anymore. It's more like Coldplay than Silverchair now.

I saw them perform on Leno last week and the lead singer can't hit the high notes anymore. It's actually pretty sad.

Know what the hell your talking about! He had laryngitis. Maybe you should invest in something other than Frogstomp.

Diorama is a masterpiece. Young Modern is a very good album. Can't wait to see them next week.
    08/28/98-09/01/00-12/08/02-12/09/02-04/28/03-05/03/03-07/05/03-07/06/03-07/08/03-07/09/03-07/12/03-10/01/04-10/03/05-05/13/06-05/27/06-05/28/06-06/01/06-06/03/06-06/19/08-06/25/08-10/28/09-10/31/09-05/17/10-10/19/13-10/21/13-10/27/13-4/28/16
    Redlegs wrote:

holy shit, that was awful! poor son of a bitch...
  • Duder5kDuder5k Posts: 278
    Eh, I'm more into their more crunchy Frogstomp/Freak Show era. Not saying there's anything wrong with their new stuff, but it's almost like a completely different band now. I'm glad it's doing good in Australia though, both the album and first single peaked at #1 on their respective charts.
  • RedlegsRedlegs Posts: 160
    not4u10 wrote:
    Know what the hell your talking about! He had laryngitis. Maybe you should invest in something other than Frogstomp.

Diorama is a masterpiece. Young Modern is a very good album. Can't wait to see them next week.
    I've got all of their albums, and I stand by my statement, the new stuff does not rock.

I said he was sick, give me a break :rolleyes:
  • silverchair was great until they added the keyboard player douchebag who was responsible for the disaassociates album which is horrible by the way, he seems to be leading the band down their current coldplay path....saw them in toronto at the kool haus won't waste my time at lolla on them.
    Redlegs wrote:
    I've got all of their albums, and I stand by my statement, the new stuff does not rock.

That is fine, I shouldn't have jumped down your throat, but comparing them to Coldplay?? Are you kidding?? Coldplay has absolutely no talent.

I just hate when people put down any band for showing growth.
    08/28/98-09/01/00-12/08/02-12/09/02-04/28/03-05/03/03-07/05/03-07/06/03-07/08/03-07/09/03-07/12/03-10/01/04-10/03/05-05/13/06-05/27/06-05/28/06-06/01/06-06/03/06-06/19/08-06/25/08-10/28/09-10/31/09-05/17/10-10/19/13-10/21/13-10/27/13-4/28/16
  • Duder5kDuder5k Posts: 278
    silverchair was great until they added the keyboard player douchebag who was responsible for the disaassociates album which is horrible by the way, he seems to be leading the band down their current coldplay path....saw them in toronto at the kool haus won't waste my time at lolla on them.
    If only they played Frogstomp era songs live, then I'd check out their Lolla set. And I'm not talking about Tomorrow, or Pure Massacre. More like Faultline, Madman, Cicada, Israel's Son, Freak. But they just can't seem to stand that time in their career at all. I mean, a lot of usy got into PJ because of Ten, Vs., Vitalogy. And even though they've evolved, they still have heavy songs like those every once in a while, and they do not hesitate to play songs from that era. Silverchair, on the other hand, seems to be embarassed of their early work, and has completely abandoned any of those songs for their live shows. I'm sure it'll be a great show for people into like Young Modern and Diorama, but meh I wish they'd at least play a few earlier tracks.
  • agreed, if it wasn't for frogstomp they wouldn't be relevant at all today (how copies did diaorama sell?) sure you will get the hardcore fans that would buy a silverchair cd because it's a silverchair cd but to completely ignore the millions of fans who made them filthy rich and gave them the opportunity to "grow"...play a few older tunes at your shows and mix it up abit.
    Redlegs wrote:

true, the new album doesn't really rock out, though they do usually have a song or two in the old vein (lever, for ex.). i dont think they sound like colplay though. coldplay is so sedate it's tranquilizing and their songs are cookie cutter, slow building anthemic pop songs. silverchair, even if they aren't rocking out, are far wierder and more creative than coldplay. i can see how their change in sound would turn a lot of people off, but id say they've gone more into a flaming lips or talking heads kind of quirky pop sound than the predictable coldplay sound.
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    Redlegs wrote:

Here's a much better version: http://youtube.com/watch?v=fP2RN0HnF_A&mode=related&search=
    agreed, if it wasn't for frogstomp they wouldn't be relevant at all today (how copies did diaorama sell?) sure you will get the hardcore fans that would buy a silverchair cd because it's a silverchair cd but to completely ignore the millions of fans who made them filthy rich and gave them the opportunity to "grow"...play a few older tunes at your shows and mix it up abit.

funny how this is an unforgivable sin for silverchair, but you'll bend over and say please for thom yorke and radiohead, who refuse to play anything from their first album and only limited selections from the 2 albums that made them the biggest band in the world. radiohead is allowed to be embarrassed by their earlier work, but silverchair, who were only 15 when they wrote frogstomp (how many of us are not embarrassed at all by what we were doing at 15) are not at all?
  • radiohead still makes relevant music. silverchair does not.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    That Straight Lines song is absolutely terrible, they should have called it quits after Freak Show.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
    not4u10 wrote:
    That is fine, I shouldn't have jumped down your throat, but comparing them to Coldplay?? Are you kidding?? Coldplay has absolutely no talent.

I just hate when people put down any band for showing growth.

Coldplay is making much better music than Silverchair are making these days
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

radiohead still makes relevant music. silverchair does not.

hmmm... now that sounds pretty subjective right there. and considering that silverchair albums consistently sell millions and debut at #1 in australia, id say there are still a lot of people listening and interested in what they're doing. the fact that you personally don't care for the direction they've taken doesn't mean they should pack up and call it quits to please your arrogant and pretentious self.

personally, i think radiohead's last 3 albums sound like shit. i can masturbate onto a keyboard and produce those "songs" if i wanted. their music has no relevance to me. so does that mean if i go to a radiohead show and dont hear creep, im being "fucked over" becos they're embarrassed by pablo honey? just cos radiohead has more hardcore (read "mindless sheep") fans doesn't give them the right to fuck me over by refusing to mix things up a bit and play the song that helped make them filthy rich... right? that's the way it works doesn't it? or does it only work that way if it's a band you personally dont like and if it's boner inducing thom yorke doing the same thing, he gets a free pass becos you think his shit smells like roses?
  • KravenKraven Posts: 829
    Wow you guys are awful to Silverchair, I can't wait for their set at Lolla, I have yet to listen to the new album, but its something I will definitely will be picking up. You guys make fun of Silverchair for adding a keyboardist and shit like that but I am pretty sure a band we all like added one too, there were some good songs and not so great songs, but I don't think you should knock something because it has a keyboard.
    32 shows and counting...
    Coldplay is making much better music than Silverchair are making these days

did you listen to anything post-freakshow besides the singles?
    did you listen to anything post-freakshow besides the singles?

If they cant even make decent singles........why would they be making other good music?
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

If they cant even make decent singles........why would they be making other good music?

If you like Coldplay more than silverchair, that says it all.

have pearl jam's best songs been singles the last 10 years? course not. how about oasis? dont think so.

silverchair, being a bit more savvy than pearl jam, has tried to select singles that they think might actually get played on the radio. so the songs you hear are the most mainstream, poppy tunes off each album. ana's song, straight lines, etc. play those albums though, they make coldplay look like chumps. you may not like what they're doing (i freely admit, they've gotten progressively weirder and really don't rock like they used to), but they're hardly turning out the cookie cutter midtempo anthems coldplay has perfected. not that there's anything wrong with that. just saying straight lines is not a good gauge of silverchair's sound. the rest of their album sounds very little like that. they're more like an off-beat queen or the flaming lips or something. if silverchair sounded like coldplay, they'd never have dropped off the map, they'd still be as huge as they were in 1995.
  • Kraven wrote:
    Wow you guys are awful to Silverchair, I can't wait for their set at Lolla, I have yet to listen to the new album, but its something I will definitely will be picking up. You guys make fun of Silverchair for adding a keyboardist and shit like that but I am pretty sure a band we all like added one too, there were some good songs and not so great songs, but I don't think you should knock something because it has a keyboard.

boom plays an organ and I could do without him live, however he unlike the silverchair keyboardist hasn'tchanged the entire direction of the band's sound. if anyone wants a good laugh download that dissassociates album it is fucking terrible but you will then understand who fucked up silverchair and daniel john's songwritting
    have pearl jam's best songs been singles the last 10 years? course not. how about oasis? dont think so.

silverchair, being a bit more savvy than pearl jam, has tried to select singles that they think might actually get played on the radio. so the songs you hear are the most mainstream, poppy tunes off each album. ana's song, straight lines, etc. play those albums though, they make coldplay look like chumps. you may not like what they're doing (ive admitted, they've gotten progressively weirder), but they're hardly turning out the cookie cutter midtempo anthems coldplay has perfected. not that there's anything wrong with that. just saying straight lines is not a good gauge of silverchair's sound. the rest of their album sounds very little like that.

Im not sure if I have ever heard a band that I didnt like their singles but liked the other songs that they have made, that is all.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    Excuse me for jumping in on this one but your words remind me of a point that I've had to make to people several times:

It's really misguided to judge music by "singles" and "hits" because, more often than not, the songs that make it to radio and become "hits" are far from the artist's best songs....quality-wise. Prince's music taught me that back in the 80's and Pearl Jam's another perfect example of it.

Deep cuts are really where it's at.

I've been enjoying "Young Modern" for a long time. It's different but then so are they.

Sorry for the interruption.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace

Let me see if I get your logic, so in your opinion, Pearl Jam's best songs are WWS, Life Wasted, Save You, I Am Mine, NAIS, Alive, Evenflow, Jeremy, Daughter, etc. Because they are singles. So if Pearl Jam's singles aren't good, then the rest of their music isn't good either? Is that what you are saying?
    not4u10 wrote:
    Let me see if I get your logic, so in your opinion, Pearl Jam's best songs are WWS, Life Wasted, Save You, I Am Mine, NAIS, Alive, Evenflow, Jeremy, Daughter, etc. Because they are singles. So if Pearl Jam's singles aren't good, then the rest of their music isn't good either? Is that what you are saying?

When did I say the best songs are singles? I simply said that if I cant even like any of a bands singles that I am not gonna like the rest of their music, that statement has held true for me so far in my life.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

boom plays an organ and I could do without him live, however he unlike the silverchair keyboardist hasn'tchanged the entire direction of the band's sound. if anyone wants a good laugh download that dissassociates album it is fucking terrible but you will then understand who fucked up silverchair and daniel john's songwritting

im listening to that album now, and i rather dig it. but daniel's songwriting was changing styles long before the dissociatives dude. if you didnt catch that, you werent listening. it wasnt the keyboards that made him unwilling to write "(the day after) tomorrow" for you. he was changing well before he met paul.