Comments

• eMMI wrote:
    Led Zeppelin

Never heard of 'em
    You can't spell "dumb" without DMB
  • writersuwritersu Posts: 1,867
    eMMI wrote:
    I think they might be my new Pearl Jam.. :D

not that they'll become my new fave band, PJ has that spot forever, but I've got the same feeling that I got when I first started listening to PJ. like, every new song I hear gets me all excited and happy cause I can't believe how good they all are and stuff. :)

I'm only a beginner, only OWN the Mothership thingie (the version with the DVD) but will start working on getting the albums as soon as I've got money.

should I go for the order they're released in or other?

also, I know there's one book about Led Zep.. (Hammer of the Gods?) are there any more?

haha, if you've got some tips or just general praise, go ahead! :D

oh my,!!!!!!!

I too think that LedZeppelin are (were?) awesome. I was young when LedZeppelin I came out and the sound of that album was just thrilling. To have a first album be so great was amazing to me. The best on that (to me), were "Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You", "Dazed and Confused"(of course), "Communication Breakdown", "I Can't Quit You Baby", and as one of my personal favorites, "How Many More Times"( you have to wait until the second part of the song though when he starts singing "Little Robert Anthony wants to come and play........").

And for me, being a women, there was no hotter guy (for me) at the time than Robert Plant in "Song Remains The Same". Although now, a lot older and changed by the cultural swing of these days, I really do not care to see a man in public without his shirt. It was normal then. Like short shorts. (wtf??) To which I am so grateful for the 90's when men began to wear them longer and much more attractively. Of course with combat boots, but that is another thread.........
    Baby, You Wouldn't Last a Minute on The Creek......

Together we will float like angels.........

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    screw Hammer of the Gods. You need all the albums before you can worry about something like that....though it is a fun read.

yeah.. fun definitely. :D

you should see the flaming some people get over at the Led Zeppelin forum for the mere mention of that book. :rolleyes:
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
    Never heard of 'em

you're kidding, right? :D
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
    writersu wrote:
    oh my,!!!!!!!

I too think that LedZeppelin are (were?) awesome. I was young when LedZeppelin I came out and the sound of that album was just thrilling. To have a first album be so great was amazing to me. The best on that (to me), were "Babe, I'm Gonna Leave You", "Dazed and Confused"(of course), "Communication Breakdown", "I Can't Quit You Baby", and as one of my personal favorites, "How Many More Times"( you have to wait until the second part of the song though when he starts singing "Little Robert Anthony wants to come and play........").

And for me, being a women, there was no hotter guy (for me) at the time than Robert Plant in "Song Remains The Same". Although now, a lot older and changed by the cultural swing of these days, I really do not care to see a man in public without his shirt. It was normal then. Like short shorts. (wtf??) To which I am so grateful for the 90's when men began to wear them longer and much more attractively. Of course with combat boots, but that is another thread.........

ohhh Led Zeppelin ARE awesome!! I still get really excited when I "discover" new songs and all. :D

How Many More Times is a killer track. incredibly.. errr.. hot.

Robert Plant.. haha. don't get me started on his looks! he was divine and he still looks amazing, definitely not someone who's about to turn 60!!
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,854
    eMMI wrote:
    yeah.. fun definitely. :D

you should see the flaming some people get over at the Led Zeppelin forum for the mere mention of that book. :rolleyes:

Well, it isn't the most accurate book and many of the portrayals in it are heightened (both positivity and negatively) for dramatic reasons. Again, it's worth reading if you're already head-over-heels obsessed with Zeppelin. but if you only have the greatest hits, you need to get the rest of the music before worrying about this.

that all being said, Hammer of the Gods is a literary masterpiece compared to that crappy PJ biography "5 against 1"
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
    Well, it isn't the most accurate book and many of the portrayals in it are heightened (both positivity and negatively) for dramatic reasons. Again, it's worth reading if you're already head-over-heels obsessed with Zeppelin. but if you only have the greatest hits, you need to get the rest of the music before worrying about this.

that all being said, Hammer of the Gods is a literary masterpiece compared to that crappy PJ biography "5 against 1"

I do have all the albums, like I mentioned already. :) and just so you know, I was head-over-heels even after listening only to Mothership. ;)

funnily enough, I've never been very concerned about getting my hands on some PJ books.. not including Place/Date.
    eMMI wrote:
    I do have all the albums, like I mentioned already. :) and just so you know, I was head-over-heels even after listening only to Mothership. ;)

funnily enough, I've never been very concerned about getting my hands on some PJ books.. not including Place/Date.

I thought you said in your original post that all you had was Mothership. either way, I know it only takes your first exposure to Zeppelin to become obsessed. My first foray into Zeppelin was the cassette of House of the Holy that my aunt gave me back in the day. that's all it took.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    I thought you said in your original post that all you had was Mothership. either way, I know it only takes your first exposure to Zeppelin to become obsessed. My first foray into Zeppelin was the cassette of House of the Holy that my aunt gave me back in the day. that's all it took.

oh I did. :) but I've later on said that I now have them all, it's been a while since that first post. :D

Houses of the Holy are next on my "listen with thought"-list.

obviously the first song I ever heard of LZ was Stairway to Heaven. :rolleyes: which I loved at first but then got really tired of. it's a good song and all, but BY FAR not the best song in the band's catalogue.
    eMMI wrote:
    oh I did. :) but I've later on said that I now have them all, it's been a while since that first post. :D

Houses of the Holy are next on my "listen with thought"-list.

obviously the first song I ever heard of LZ was Stairway to Heaven. :rolleyes: which I loved at first but then got really tired of. it's a good song and all, but BY FAR not the best song in the band's catalogue.

Stairway to Heaven owns. People come down on it because it's overplayed and super popular. it's easily one of the best in the band's catalouge. I prefer to listen to many Zeppelin songs to it...but there's only a handful of Zep songs I would say is "better" than it. I mean the progression, introducing new layers of guitars and organs with every verse, the lyrics, the solo, I can go on forever.

My aunt turned me on to Zeppelin when I was like 9 years old (I'm 24 now) so everything was new to me when I first heard it. so to me, Stairway has always been really just the fourth song on the fourth album. though I understand why so many people (even the biggest Zep heads) look at it differently.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    Stairway to Heaven owns. People come down on it because it's overplayed and super popular. it's easily one of the best in the band's catalouge. I prefer to listen to many Zeppelin songs to it...but there's only a handful of Zep songs I would say is "better" than it. I mean the progression, introducing new layers of guitars and organs with every verse, the lyrics, the solo, I can go on forever.

My aunt turned me on to Zeppelin when I was like 9 years old (I'm 24 now) so everything was new to me when I first heard it. so to me, Stairway has always been really just the fourth song on the fourth album. though I understand why so many people (even the biggest Zep heads) look at it differently.

we're all entiteled to our opinions. :D don't get me wrong, STH is a good song but there are tons of LZ song I like better. maybe it's just cause it's sooooo overplayed, I don't know.

I appreciate the way it builds up towards the end but.. like said, nowhere near my fave. I'd choose Achilles Last Stand, Kashmir, In My Time of Dying, Nobody's Fault But Mine or even Whole Lotta Love (a bit overplayed too) over it anyday. :)
    eMMI wrote:
    we're all entiteled to our opinions. :D don't get me wrong, STH is a good song but there are tons of LZ song I like better. maybe it's just cause it's sooooo overplayed, I don't know.

I appreciate the way it builds up towards the end but.. like said, nowhere near my fave. I'd choose Achilles Last Stand, Kashmir, In My Time of Dying, Nobody's Fault But Mine or even Whole Lotta Love (a bit overplayed too) over it anyday. :)

again like I said, I prefer many Zep songs to Stairway to Heaven. but I just really in a million years could never find anything bad to say about it. but yeah there are many Zeppelin songs I like more than it. It's really one of the most consistent catalouge in rock history. they were great from start to finish.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    again like I said, I prefer many Zep songs to Stairway to Heaven. but I just really in a million years could never find anything bad to say about it. but yeah there are many Zeppelin songs I like more than it. It's really one of the most consistent catalouge in rock history. they were great from start to finish.

:) yeah, I've nothing bad to say about the song either. I just skip it on the album every now and then. :D

ahh, I definitely agree with your last statement! abso-focking-lutely great! now, if only I could get my friends to listen to something other than Stairway.. hmm.

I did make a mix Zeppelin CD for my bro though! one part great bass-tracks (he's learning to play bass), one part excellent rock.. should do the trick.
    eMMI wrote:
    :) yeah, I've nothing bad to say about the song either. I just skip it on the album every now and then. :D

ahh, I definitely agree with your last statement! abso-focking-lutely great! now, if only I could get my friends to listen to something other than Stairway.. hmm.

I did make a mix Zeppelin CD for my bro though! one part great bass-tracks (he's learning to play bass), one part excellent rock.. should do the trick.

yeah I skip it a lot too. makes it fun when you do actually come back to it. learning to play bass huh? well there's really no better band to study.

funny side note about John Paul Jones. When I was in DC for Pearl Jam, I took one of the bus tours around the city. there was a recording of a guy telling us what we were looking at and what we were approaching. we drove by a statue of Revolutionary War navigator John Paul Jones. the guy on the tape says "We're now driving by a statue of John Paul Jones....no....not the bass player from Led Zeppelin..." and while he's saying that, The Ocean is playing in the background! We got a good laugh out of that.

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    yeah I skip it a lot too. makes it fun when you do actually come back to it. learning to play bass huh? well there's really no better band to study.

funny side note about John Paul Jones. When I was in DC for Pearl Jam, I took one of the bus tours around the city. there was a recording of a guy telling us what we were looking at and what we were approaching. we drove by a statue of Revolutionary War navigator John Paul Jones. the guy on the tape says "We're now driving by a statue of John Paul Jones....no....not the bass player from Led Zeppelin..." and while he's saying that, The Ocean is playing in the background! We got a good laugh out of that.

indeed. my bro's big on Metallica (I love 'em too) but I figured a change might do him some good. :D

hahaha. that's so cool! and very clever of them to put it on tape like that. I bet they used to have tons of people asking if it was THE John Paul Jones that was mentioned.
  • MotorHeadMotorHead Posts: 50
    Didn't PJ steal 10 from LZ?

Just kidding.
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Shouldn't Pearl Jam be your new Led Zeppelin?
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
    Shouldn't Pearl Jam be your new Led Zeppelin?

she was probably just into pearl jam first

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    she was probably just into pearl jam first

bingo. :D
  • NYCPJNYCPJ Posts: 764
    Im a huge led zeppelin fan -- best show i ever saw.

since the entire set is out of the question, i would do the following:
    1. buy mothership, as i think you said you already have done.
    2. buy Physical Graffiti, as someone else suggested, for the reasons he suggested.
    3. buy How the West Was Won, because its one of the greatest live albums ever and since you will have a decent start with the studio work, id go live next.
    4. buy the Led Zeppelin DVD. it has an entire concert from the Royal Albert Hall from 1970 and a bunch of great live footage from '73 (MSG), 75 (Earls Court) and '79 (Knebworth) -- all legendary concerts.
    5. looking at Mothership, id go to III next, because some great stuff from III is missing from Mothership (e.g., Thats the way, Friends, Tangerine)
    6/3/06 (East Rutherford 2)
    6/24/08 (MSG1)
    6/25/08 (MSG2)
    7/1/08 (Beacon Theater -NYC)
    10/30/09 (Philly3)
    5/18/10 (Newark, NJ)
    5/20/10 (MSG1)
    5/21/10 (MSG2)
    10/18/13 (Brooklyn 1)
    10/19/13 (Brooklyn 2)
    5/1/16 (MSG 1)
    5/2/16 (MSG 2)
    3/30/20 (MSG)
    9/3/24 I(MSG1)
    9/4/24 (MSG 2)
  • tonadaxtonadax Posts: 594
    Let this guy start for the simple: led zepp 1 and led zepp 2, great and accesible albums
    and then buy their prime albums: 4th album and Physical Graffiti
    tonadax wrote:
    Let this guy start for the simple: led zepp 1 and led zepp 2, great and accesible albums
    and then buy their prime albums: 4th album and Physical Graffiti

first off, I'm a gal. ;)

secondly, I do have all the albums already. :) (thanks a million for the advice though)
  • i was one of the very lucky ones back in december - i got to see led zeppelin at the reunion in london. it was just immense. the greatest band of all time.
    2006 - Astoria, Dublin, Leeds
    2007 - London
    2009 - London, Manchester, London
    2010 - Dublin, Belfast, London
    2011 - Alpine Valley x2
    2012 - Isle of Wight, Manchester x2
  • writersuwritersu Posts: 1,867
    eMMI wrote:
    ohhh Led Zeppelin ARE awesome!! I still get really excited when I "discover" new songs and all. :D

How Many More Times is a killer track. incredibly.. errr.. hot.

Robert Plant.. haha. don't get me started on his looks! he was divine and he still looks amazing, definitely not someone who's about to turn 60!!

And yesterday I realized that I forgot one of the great songs from Zeppelin I. You Shook Me. Something about Jimmy Page's Bluesy guitar playing during those songs, just makes me think of far away places...........
    Baby, You Wouldn't Last a Minute on The Creek......

Together we will float like angels.........

In the moment that you left the room, the album started skipping, goodbye to beauty shared with the ones that you love.........
  • oldermanolderman Posts: 1,765
    i grew up with LZ

my favorite LZ records are I & II

rockin' blues to the max!

i've got the vinyls..

scarred and scratchy but rockin still!!

been dazed and confused for so long it's not true, wanted a woman never bargained for you.. lots of people talk, few of them know.. soul of a woman was created below
    Down the street you can hear her scream youre a disgrace
    As she slams the door in his drunken face
    And now he stands outside
    And all the neighbours start to gossip and drool
    He cries oh, girl you must be mad,
    What happened to the sweet love you and me had?
    Against the door he leans and starts a scene,
    And his tears fall and burn the garden green
    i was one of the very lucky ones back in december - i got to see led zeppelin at the reunion in london. it was just immense. the greatest band of all time.

:eek: I envy you.. :o

then again, I wasn't really that into LZ around the time of the concert so..

I envy you but more than that I'm happy for you! :D
  • MattyJoeMattyJoe Posts: 1,424
    I would go so far as to say buy and listen to all the albums in order of when they were released. That would be a great way to dive into their music.

Oh, and, the world of Live Zeppelin is fucking amazing. Led Zeppelin is probably the greatest live band ever. 3 hour shows almost every night, with a shorter setlist than Pearl Jam. Insane. The Zep bootleg world is outta this world. A good place to start is with the live albums How The West Was Won (my favorite live album of all time by ANY band), featuring the band at the LA Forum and Long Beach Arena on their '72 US tour, The Song Remains the Same, featuring the band in a compilation of their 3 MSG shows in July '73, and BBC Sessions which is a compilation of various live performances from 1969 in BBC Studios and one performance from 1969 at the Playhouse Theatre in London.

But in addition to official releases, one can find hundreds of various quality audience recordings from throughout their entire career (1968-1980), with a few soundboards and radio broadcasts mixed in. The most famous Zep audience recordings are those done by Mike Millard at the Forum and Long Beach Arena (CA) in 1975 and 1977. I can post one or two for download if anyone is interested.
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
  • elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    I went through a major LedZep phase in my teens and come back to them now and then, usually through their 2003 DVD which is essential if you're in awe of the albums. Maybe their live cd album, "How The West Was Won", takes precedent if you've an antiquated tv and can't play it through speakers.

Bring It On Home was especially amazing live.
    elmer wrote:
    Bring It On Home was especially amazing live.

Yeah that was great.

But Dazed And Confused is where it's really at. ;)
    Lasted as long as 45 minutes in '75!!
    I pledge to you a government that will not only work well, but wisely, its ability to act tempered by prudence, and its willingness to do good, balanced by the knowledge that government is never more dangerous than when our desire to have it help us blinds us to its great power to harm us.
    -Reagan
    NYCPJ wrote:
    Im a huge led zeppelin fan -- best show i ever saw.

Did you see them at the Garden? What year?

EDIT: Nevermind, just saw your Best Concert thread. Did you ever see them back in the old days?
    -Reagan