Led Zeppelin

eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
edited July 2008 in Other Music
I think they might be my new Pearl Jam.. :D

not that they'll become my new fave band, PJ has that spot forever, but I've got the same feeling that I got when I first started listening to PJ. like, every new song I hear gets me all excited and happy cause I can't believe how good they all are and stuff. :)

I'm only a beginner, only OWN the Mothership thingie (the version with the DVD) but will start working on getting the albums as soon as I've got money.

should I go for the order they're released in or other?

also, I know there's one book about Led Zep.. (Hammer of the Gods?) are there any more?

haha, if you've got some tips or just general praise, go ahead! :D
"Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Zeppelin 4 is probably a good spot to start unless you have the cash you can get the complete boxset.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Studio-Recordings-Led-Zeppelin/dp/B000002IWP/ref=pd_bbs_9?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1202832163&sr=8-9

when i first got in to them i thought they were the greatest but i quickly got bored with them and now i think, outside of their pure talent, they are one of the most overrated bands to reach the legendary label. i usually almost skip their songs when they pop up on my mp3 player and thats only once every few days.
  • MathMath Posts: 71
    How the west was won is one of the best live ever.
    "Not only is there no God, but try getting a plumber on weekends" - Woody ALLEN
  • eMMI wrote:
    I'm only a beginner, only OWN the Mothership thingie (the version with the DVD) but will start working on getting the albums as soon as I've got money.

Just get the 10-CD box set that has all of their albums in it, and listen to them in order. You'll only pay half as much in the long run. I think I paid $75 for it when it was brand new.
  • EBowieEBowie Posts: 532
    Complete Studio Recordings box is the way to go...because if you like one album, you'll most likely like 'em all (and buy them all). So, the box saves $ in the long run.
  • get the song remains the same dvd.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • KosmicJelliKosmicJelli Posts: 1,855
    Come on!!! Led Zeppelin is not over rated! Music so unconsciously
    sensual..caressing mind, body, soul.
  • Irish AlIrish Al Posts: 6,236
    You should defo try and get to see them live ;)

Oh yeah and go for III or IV to start :D
    I need a coffee!
  • stargirl69stargirl69 Posts: 6,387
    I am rediscovering In Through The Out Door.It was underrated but I think it shows that they were a band who knew change was coming as the world moved into the 80's and they were still going to be making relevant music.It all changed on John Bonhams death.
    Get them all and learn about how they are still loved today and can create 20,000000 worth of mayhem when doing one gig.
    “There should be a place where only the things you want to happen, happen”
  • MLC2006MLC2006 Posts: 861
    I think 4 and "houses of the holy" are their 2 best albums.
  • My 18 YO son played Physical Graffiti to one of his friends who hadn't heard one song from it before. His friend became an instant fan.

I've heard sales figures of 250-300 million albums. At some point one has to question the "overrated" labeling. I think something has to be that good to sell that many copies. I think Led Zeppelin is "that good". No 2 albums really sound like eachother. If the money is there, go for the box. If not, go for Physical Graffiti first because Mothership, which you have, has relatively little Physical Graffiti on it, so you'll get a lot of unheard stuff for less money.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • If you can't buy the boxset, start at the beginning, and purchase Led Zeppelin 1. Roll one up and throw on a good pair of headphones.
  • eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    Irish Al wrote:

Oh yeah and go for III or IV to start : D

piss off! :p

I think I found III from the library yesterday. :) haven't had a chance to listen to it yet though - I'm a busy woman (read: I'm at work and forgot the CD home).

unless I get incredibly rich incredibly soon I'm gonna have to use the albums-one-by-one -solution. :o think I'll start from the first. or then just go for them in the order I find them. :D
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • memememe Posts: 4,695
    The way I put it is... PJ is my favorite, but Ledz are the greatest.
    ... and the will to show I will always be better than before.
    My 18 YO son played Physical Graffiti to one of his friends who hadn't heard one song from it before. His friend became an instant fan.

I've heard sales figures of 250-300 million albums. At some point one has to question the "overrated" labeling. I think something has to be that good to sell that many copies. I think Led Zeppelin is "that good". No 2 albums really sound like eachother. If the money is there, go for the box. If not, go for Physical Graffiti first because Mothership, which you have, has relatively little Physical Graffiti on it, so you'll get a lot of unheard stuff for less money.

thanks for the advice. I love the fact that you're trying to save my money. :)
  • JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    If ye want more Led Zep, I can burn most their albums and give them to ye when ye come visit :D
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
    Jennytree wrote:
    If ye want more Led Zep, I can burn most their albums and give them to ye when ye come visit :D

ooh! see, that's why I love ye! :D
  • JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    eMMI wrote:
    ooh! see, that's why I love ye! :D

hehe awesome... just remind me and I'll get it sorted for ye :D
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
    wow.. got a wonderful surprise last week! :D I was at work and listening to Led Zep and this guy came in to rent a movie and we got to talking a bit about LZ and I was telling him how I haven't really listened to the band for too long and that I don't have any of the albums and stuff..

then suddenly he says that he's got an extra copy of the 4th album and that he could just give that to me! :D I asked him if he was serious which he was and then the next day when he returned the movies he dropped the CD by aswell. :D *happyhappy*
  • I would just get the 2 box sets instead of all the albums...probably cheaper that way, and I think you get most of their b-sides between the 2.
    Saturnal wrote:
    I would just get the 2 box sets instead of all the albums...probably cheaper that way, and I think you get most of their b-sides between the 2.

the thing is, I have NO money whatsoever to put into ANY albums by ANY bands right now. :o so I'll continue with this whatever-I-can-get-my-hands-onto-whenever-I-can -technique. :D
  • RicsardRicsard Posts: 1,943
    Led Zeppelin - IV is my fav album of theirs however I love all their stuffs. Especially How The West Was One...
    Budapest.Budapest.Arnhem.Antwerpen.Vienna.Madrid.Katowice.Nova_rock.Nijmegen.Rotterdam.Berlin.Dublin.Belfast.London.Venice.Prague.Stockholm.Copenhagen.Vienna.Leeds.Milton_keynes.Padova.Prague.Seattle1.Seattle2.Chicago1.Budapest.Cracow.Vienna..>>>LONDON.BERLIN1.BERLIN2
    Eddie: Dublin & London
    Ricsard wrote:
    Led Zeppelin - IV is my fav album of theirs however I love all their stuffs. Especially How The West Was One...

oh yes, it's faaabulous. :)

though I've been listening to Presence a lot these past few days.. and wow. :D Achilles Last Stand and Nobody's Fault But Mine being my fave songs. well, along with Tea for One, which pretty much breaks my heart every time. :o but it's a good hurt that one. :D
    Irish Al wrote:
    Oh yeah and go for III or IV to start :D

well.. I fell in love with IV the first time I listened to it. I hadn't really taken a liking to When the Levee Breaks before, but when I heard it on it's rightful place on the album it dawned on me what a great track it actually is! :D

also, I didn't particularly love III at first.. :o but then I gave it a few spins a couple nights ago and WOW is all I can say! :D
  • mattcozeamattcozea Posts: 377
    Irish Al wrote:
    I was able to see Jimmy Page live with the Black Crowes, which is probably as close as I'll ever get.
    6-27-98 Alpine Valley
    10-8-00 Alpine Valley
    10-9-00 All State Arena, Chicago
    4-23-03 Assembly Hall, Champaign
    5-16-06 United Center, Chicago
    6-30-06 Marcus Amphitheater, Milwaukee
    8-05-07 Grant Park, Chicago
    8-21-08 EV, Auditorium Theater, Chicago
    8-22-08 EV, Auditorium Theater, Chicago
    mattcoz wrote:
    I was able to see Jimmy Page live with the Black Crowes, which is probably as close as I'll ever get.

that's cool. :) closer than I've ever gotten. ;)

I've seen Robert's son's band. who are EXCELLENT by the way! :D

(http://www.myspace.com/sonsofalbionuk)

EDIT: ok, I guess it's pretty silly to say 'Robert's son's band'.. :o I've seen the band Logan Plant sings in!
  • I could probably write a short book on how great this band is. Led Zeppelin could never be overratted, like some wierdo said. I instantly fell in love with Zeppelin when my mom got some of their cds for christmas one year. I was a big Aerosmith fan and liked hair metal, but I heard Black Dog, Immigrant Song, Over the Hills and Far Away and knew right away that it was the most "real" music I'd ever heard. And it still is. They are the best at rock and roll, thats all there is to it.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • I don't know if you're religious, but discovering Zeppelin is going to better than finding god:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSZcTs00ZGg&feature=related
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • MojopinMojopin Posts: 216
    Still love them as much as I ever have...

I saw Page & Plant back in '98? At the Gorge. It was mindblowing. Jimmy teasing us with the first little bit of Stairway....

Mojo
    "A consistently good band works all the different elements well. A song has to appeal sentimentally, intellectually, physically, viscerally, and dig deep down into your soul and suck you into it. And after that, of course, it'd be a matter of taste." ~ Kim Thayil from Soundgarden
    I don't know if you're religious, but discovering Zeppelin is going to better than finding god:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vSZcTs00ZGg&feature=related

thanks for that. :) I can't watch the vid where I am right now (at work) but definitely know the song! and love it!

I've actually got all the albums now, just haven't gotten around to giving them all a "proper" listening to yet. :o

lol. that's a nice comparison, but I must say that finding God wins the race, not by much, but still. ;)
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,854
    eMMI wrote:
    I think they might be my new Pearl Jam.. :D

not that they'll become my new fave band, PJ has that spot forever, but I've got the same feeling that I got when I first started listening to PJ. like, every new song I hear gets me all excited and happy cause I can't believe how good they all are and stuff. :)

also, I know there's one book about Led Zep.. (Hammer of the Gods?) are there any more?

haha, if you've got some tips or just general praise, go ahead! :D

screw Hammer of the Gods. You need all the albums before you can worry about something like that....though it is a fun read.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com