Top Five Live Perfomances You've Seen Other Than PJ

mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
edited August 2007 in Other Music
I'm sure most of us on here have been to many many shows. Pick five of the greatest perfomances you've seen and list them below. Who kicks ass live???

My list in no particular order:

Rage Against the Machine Tibetan Freedom Concert San Francisco 1996
Ben Harper Spartan Stadium openinig for PJ 11/4/1995
Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan Berkeley 1996
Rolling Stones Oakland 1997 Final Night
Neil Young Horde 1997 First Set: At Shoreline he played a short acoustic set which blows away most perfomances I have ever seen. It was announced the day before that he would be playing an early set on the second stage Turns out it was on a third stage under a little tent that my friend and I got over to just in time to be "third row" if there was rows. When he first came out there were about 200 people, by the time he was done there was well over 2,000! He played an amazing Homegrown, new song Slopoke (played to Harvest Moon music) and a very long Long May You Run with storyline about the song! Incredible!!! Have to move this bad boy to my top 5! If you have this recording please let me do a b&p with you! I had it but lost it!

Shit! I need some shows from this decade!

Honorable Mention:
Black Crowes 1996 Berkeley Greek Theatre
Bob Dylan Joni Mitchell & Van Morrison San Jose 1998
Chris Cornell Irving Plaza 2007
Marianne Faithfull Portland 2002
MMJ 6/1/06
Mike Watt Ball Hog Tour Sacramento 1995
Pete Townshend Bridge School 96 surprise appearance.
"The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• releesemereleeseme Posts: 387
    Pink Floyd Death Valley Stadium 1995
    Ozzy & Alice in Chains Knoxville, TN. 1993
    Lollapalooza 93
    NIN Halloween 06 Nashville, TN
    Perfect Circle & NIN Charlotte 2000
    8-20-92 \ 6-16-08
    10-4-96 \ 5-6-10
    9-6-98 \ 5-7-10
    4-19-03 \ 9-22-12
    10-6-04 \ 7-19-13
    6-24-06 \ 12-6-13
    10-1-14 \ 4-16-16
    \ 4-26-16 \
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    1) Sleater-Kinney~Variety Playhouse Atlanta, Ga July 1, 2005
    2) Stone Temple Pilots~Birmingham, Alabama 2001 (I believe...their last tour)
    3) Drive-by Truckers~The Dirty South tour August 2005 Jupiter Bar & Grill Tuscaloosa, AL.
    4) The Police (w/Joan Jett)~Ghost in the Machine tour 1982
    5) U2~Zoo TV Tour Birmingham, Alabama, 1992
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    Radiohead 2003
    Radiohead 2000

both in Cleveland
  • 1. Bob Dylan-October 7, 2001. Corvallis. The day we started bombing Afghanistan. there was a feeling in the air. He played Blowin in the wind and Masters of War.

2. arcade Fire- May 2007. Portland. I have NEVER seen a crowd that into a show. It was like a religious revival. When they played Wake Up, everyone was going NUTS. I looked in back of me, at the farther away seats, at the balcony, and people were going crazy. It was an amazing feeling. There was assigned seating, but when Win sang the first note, myself and many others rushing to the front of the stage.

3. ben Harper August 2006. berkeley. Getting to visit Berkeley for the first time, it was a time of many firsts, my first ben concert and my first time seeing the berkeley campus. Ben was on fire. he was in straight up Hendrix mode. It was awesome. He brought out Radioactive from Spearhead a band that plays in my hometown alot. It was a great feeling being there

4. Radiohead June 2006. San Diego. My first radiohead show. It was a beautiful venue. It was overlooking the bay. I can specifically remember Thom singing, and the wind blowing through my hair, just as the sun is setting in the background. it was breathtaking. The show was extremely short, it ended like at 1020 or so, and there had even been a opening act, but it was a hell of a show. They had all these small video screens, placed abnormally, sort of off center and upside down etc... and it looked great. As it got dark, you could see a hotel in the background. Its lights set against the odd crazy lights at the show.

Widespread Panic June 2006 Eugene. Long long set. But it was awesome. The whole atmosphere of the show. it was like people forgot about everything for the night and just went crazy. Alot of dancing. Just a great feeling and a great experience
  • merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262
    1. Grateful Dead (w/ David Lindley & El-Rayo X and Los Lobos) 7/30/88 - Laguna Seca, Monterey Ca.
    2. Flaming Lips (w/ Liz Phair & Starlight Mints) - 4th and B, San Diego, Ca Yoshimi Tour.
    3. Drive-By Truckers - Belly Up Tavern, San Diego Ca. 4/6/2005
    4. Bjork - Coachella 2007
    5. Neil Young & Crazy Horse (w/ Lucinda Williams) - 7/23/2003 Greek Theater, Los Angeles, CA.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • 1. 6/02/07 Ben Harper Cains Ballroom Tulsa- Insane performance and Tom Morrelllo opened and played masters of war with Ben.
    2. 8/18/06- Red Hot Chili Peppers @ the Pepsi Center in Denver- Keidis sounded great flea, John, and Chad showed why they are all the best fucking band
    3. February 2007- Incubus @ The Uptown Theater KC- Phenomenal peformance and Brandon showed he is one of Rock's strongest vocalists
    4. 6/17/07- John Mayer @ Verizon Wireless Amphitheater KC- Amazing guitar player and said some funny shit between songs
    5. 9/15/06- Muse @ the Uptown Theater KC- great fucking band, amazing live show
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,183
    Michael Franti and SPEARHEAD....The Funk Box, Baltimore MD...Oct 25, 2003

U2...Hampton Coliseum...Hampton, VA...March 9, 1985..The Unforgetable Tour

Mettalica, Meriweather Post, MD, Summer Tour 92-93? night after Woodstock II

The Rolling Stones, Hampton Coliseum..VA, Tattoo You Final Show Dec 80-81?

Rush... Bristoe, VA. Snakes and Arrows Tour, Last month 2007

Honorable Mention:

ACDC..Hampton Coliseum, Hampton VA...November 1984? The Flick Of The Switch Tour...After the show on the graveyard shift I waited at Denny's on the entire band and crew except for ANGUS. They gave up a bunch of tour stuff I have somewhere still today. I suck with dates or was it the wacky tabacky?

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    AIC
    SP
    Cornell
    metallica
    Ben harper
  • drew0drew0 Posts: 943
    Tom Petty/Allman Brothers Band
    Bruce Springsteen/REM/John Fogerty
    DMB/Gov't Mule
    Pittsburgh 6/23/06
    Madison Square Garden 6/25/08
  • zircona1zircona1 Posts: 293
    1. The Rolling Stones - 9/18/94 Columbia, MO. Instead of playing a bigger place like KC or St Louis, they decided to come to a college town and play at the football stadium. This was a huge deal for our city. I decided to go because I figured "well, it's the Stones, I like their stuff". I had no idea it was going to be huge screens, explosions, thousands of lights, Mick dancing around, fireworks at the end, it was an absolute blast.

2. Gloria Estefan - 8/22/96 St Louis, Riverport Ampitheater. This was like a huge party. Gloria was really friendly and energetic, her backup band was fabulous. There was a video scrapbook to accompany "Along Came You", and confetti was flying everywhere during "You'll Be Mine (Party Time)". Just a lot of fun.

3. Lilith Fair - 8/4/98 - St Louis, Riverport. Mostly because I got to see Liz Phair and meet her afterwards (she was signing promo posters for whitechocolatespaceegg, I got mine framed). Had a seat in the first 10 rows and also got to see Bonnie Raitt, Natalie Merchant, and Sarah.

4. Prince - 1/4/98 - Kansas City, Kemper Arena. Back when he was known as "The Artist" (it's actually printed on my ticket). I had will call tickets and had to wait in a long, slow-moving line to get mine outside. I figured the show started at 8, when I finally got my ticket, it was 9:15, so I went in thinking "well, guess I'll catch the rest of it." But when I got in, the house lights were still on - the show hadn't even started yet! My seat was about 10-15 rows up from the right side of the stage, had a great view. Prince put on a fantastic, crowd-pleasing show, playing guitar, piano, dancing, rolling around on the stage, etc.

5. Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band - 8/30/02 - Savvis Center, St Louis. My first Springsteen show (and hopefully, not the last). There is nothing like singing along and pumping your fist to the 'whoa's in "Born to Run".
    "As long as the music's loud enough, we won't hear the world falling apart."—Jubilee

"I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin
  • robfest2robfest2 Posts: 594
    The Hold Steady
    Cold War Kids
    The Weepies
    Linkin Park
    Hovercraft
  • BoomerBoomer Posts: 50
    Muse at Lolla blew my mind.
    Canada, says Ament, holds a special place in the band's heart because of its international policies and its decision to stay out of the war in Iraq.

25 May 2005
    The Canadian Press
  • They'd all be John Martyn gigs. Some of the worst gigs I've seen have been John Martyn gigs, too. You never know what you're going to get, with that fakka.
  • 5.Ben Harper @ Lolla 07
    4.Queens of the Stoneage @ Endfest (cant remember what year
    3.Foo Fighters @ Key Arena 2005
    2.U2 @ Key Arena 2001
    1.Muse @ Lolla 07
    "Well, I think this band is incapable of sucking."
    -my dad after hearing Not for You for the first time on SNL .
  • snipes824snipes824 Posts: 870
    Rage Against the Machine - Randalls Island - 7/28/07
    Chris Cornell - Beacon Theatre - 7/31/07
    Rolling Stones - Giants Stadium - 9/03
    Red Hot Chili Peppers - Pimlico Racetrack - 9/06
    The Who - Pimlico Racetrack - 9/06
  • surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    The Who - Kids Are Alright tour, about 1982, it was unreal, rock and roll that mattered
    Motley Crue - Girls, Girls, Girls tour, sick stage show and so loud
    Bryan Adams - Cuts Like A Knife Tour, he played in a university cafeteria, 700 people in a room made for 500, there was an awards show in town the nextday so about every third song someone joined him on stage
    U2 - Vertigo tour, Last show of the 2005 leg, crowd was insanely loud and was front fucking row with a great group of friends and my kid
    Robert Cray - Sweet Potato Pie tour, just some serious laid back blues while sipping jack and cokes
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Fender_ManFender_Man Posts: 408
    In no particular order.

1) Thin Lizzy - Rainbow Theatre London 1978 - I you've ever seen the Live And Dangerous video, this was the show filmed for that.

2) Van Halen - Rainbow Theatre London 1978 / 79? - I think this was there first headlining show in the UK (saw them support Black Sabbath in '78). I remember the tickets being misprinted "The Mighty Van Halem". The first 3 rows of the stalls collapsed under the rush to the stage, still the loudest gig I have ever been to. I came out with my shirt splattered with blood, none of it mine!

3) Led Zeppelin - Knebworth 1979 - Not their greatest performance, but an event I could write a book on.

4) Alice Cooper - Hammersmith 1980 / 81? - This was the Special Forces tour. Never experienced an atmosphere at a gig like this one. Stripped down show, seemed like the whole crowd sung every word from start to finish.

5) David Bowie - Milton Keynes Bowl 1990 - This was a greatest hits show. If memory serves me right the set list was made up from a fan club poll? Apparently Laughing Gnome came in at number 1, but he still wouldn't play it.
  • oppie1oppie1 Posts: 755
    1. boyhitscar - houge barmichaels - irvine, ca 2006
    2. Mudvayne - Ozone Studios - Philly, Pa 2003
    3. 36 crazyfists - Palladium - Worcester, Ma 2004
    4. Deftones - Trocadero - Philly, Pa 2005
    5. Ozzfest - Tweeter Center - Camden NJ 2002 (got to see Drowning Pool 2 weeks before Dave died)
    BoyHitsCar Masked Street Team
    www.lovecorealliance.com

Upcoming boyhitscar concerts:
    11/7/07 - Allentown Pa
    11/11/07 - Hartford Ct

www.myspace.com/briankutys
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    considering ive only been going to concerts for about 1.5 yrs my choices are pretty small.....

1. Rush @ pnc 7/9
    2. AIC @ nokia theater 11/9
    3. Incubus @ pnc 8/10
    4. Bussel in the Hedgerow @ mexicali blues (i think thats the name, its the benevento russo duo with a guitarist)
    5. Primus @ roseland ball room 11/1

wouldve had allman bros but i couldnt see them last night at pnc.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    Four of them would be Arcade Fire shows, topped by their first Coachella apperance in 2005. That was unreal. The fifth would probably be Fleetwood Mac the last time they toured. Lindsay Buckingham is worth the price of admission by himself.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    Metallica circa first leg of black album- hate them all you want they are one of the 3 best live bands in the world(when sober)

The Roots & Ben Harper & Satellite Party & Ryan Shaw & Daft Punk & school of rock allstars with Perry(damn they nailed Summertime rolls)- Lollapalooza

(ashamed to say it) Tesla back in the early 90's

NIN 94(or was it 95?) Ball state- Manson was pretty damn good too(minus beating off on stage with a fake schlong)

Live- 199? Throwing Copper tour- these guys are fucking insane, it sucks they have been burried by the mainstream shit out nowadays. Though I guess the Pseudo-Christian Rock album they did kind of helped. Overcome is one of the most powerful songs I have ever Heard- dub it over a 9-11 media clip recap and you'll cry

Skid Row as opener for Guns and roses 1991- for the record Guns and roses was my first live show, and by far the worst live band I have seen, including shitty frat house party bands in college.

edit- shit how can I forget Aerosmith- unreal live Steven Tyler is the greatest and Joe Perry....all of them are great
  • 1. 311- 1996 HORDE Tour...Fans were pulling up chairs out of the concrete at the Tweeter Ctr (It wasnt called that in 96) in Camden...311 is fantastic live.

2. Neil Young and Crazy Horse - 1997 HORDE Tour...There is nothing better than Neil Young playing in a rain storm.

3. Arcade Fire- 2007 Constitution Hall - One of the most dynamic shows i have ever seen. There is a great clip of them playing on youtube that says..."If you arent moved by this, you are probably dead inside", after seeing them i agree 100%

4. U2 Verizon Center 2005...I was not prepared for how amazing they are in concert.

5. Rage Against the Machine/KORN Woodstock 99...Both rocked...Soo hard...

honorable mention...only because it was such a small venue was seeing the John Butler Trio at the Rams Head in annapolis...The local radio station sponsored a 1/2 set from them and they blew me away.
    "Music is the glue that holds everything together. Without it, everything would fall apart." --Eddie (From the movie EMPIRE RECORDS)
  • EDIT: Holy shit, I forgot Mars Volta!

Radiohead: Houston '01 & New Orleans '03
    The Mars Volta - New Orleans '04
    Sleater-Kinney: Chicago '05
    The Who: Dallas '02
    Beastie Boys: Voodoo Fest in NOLA '04

Honorable mentions:
    Queens Of The Stone Age: Voodoo Fest in NOLA '03 (last show ever with Nick)
    White Stripes: Voodoo Fest in NOLA '03
    The Raconteurs: Lolla '06
    NIN: Houston '05
    Metallica: Houston '03
    Flaming Lips: Lolla '06
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    counting crows - hard candy tour
    radiohead - ok computer tour
    s. pumpkins - mellon collie tour
    perfect circle - 13th step tour
    rem with bright eyes - around the sun tour

the 3 times i've been lucky enough to see pearl jam blows any of these away
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
  • geishagrrlgeishagrrl Posts: 130
    Fishbone - 9:30 Club 1996
    Mindless Self Indulgence - Nation 2006
    Fugazi - some church in 1996
    Mr. Bungle - Black Cat 1995, 9:30 Club 1999
    The Arcade Fire - Coachella 2005
  • pjfan31pjfan31 Posts: 7,331
    one band that i love (their older stuff more then their new stuff) is Live. I have seen them about 4 times, and they reallty do go well. I hear they r not all thyat big in the US, they r pretty popular in australia.

I also rate a green day concert i went to. they rnt my fav band prob not even in my top 5 bands, but i saw them in sydney, and it was a great gig. So much so that i bought their live cd/dvd, and i was so annoyed with it, because they hadnt changed their setlist, and everything was the same, it is the beauty of Pearl Jam.

Also Screaming jets, probably coz i scammed the guy on the door, and got in for free.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
    Live- 199? Throwing Copper tour- these guys are fucking insane, it sucks they have been burried by the mainstream shit out nowadays. Though I guess the Pseudo-Christian Rock album they did kind of helped. Overcome is one of the most powerful songs I have ever Heard- dub it over a 9-11 media clip recap and you'll cry

Skid Row as opener for Guns and roses 1991- for the record Guns and roses was my first live show, and by far the worst live band I have seen, including
    shitty frat house party bands in college.[/quote]

I jst read this after i posted, Live is fkn wicked as stated in my post, probably above.

And guns n roses saw them the other month, and i agree, worst concert ever. Skid row (sebastian bach) was probably better than GNR but he is probably a little to heavy/metaly for me. But you should go to his myspace and try and listen to a song called by your side, I really like it (until he ruins it a bit towards the end, you will know what i mean when u hear it) Plus u got to love all his poses http://www.myspace.com/sebastianblog

I hope it is alright to post that link.
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • itsevobabyitsevobaby Posts: 1,809
    pjfan31 wrote:
    one band that i love (their older stuff more then their new stuff) is Live. I have seen them about 4 times, and they reallty do go well. I hear they r not all thyat big in the US, they r pretty popular in australia.

I also rate a green day concert i went to. they rnt my fav band prob not even in my top 5 bands, but i saw them in sydney, and it was a great gig. So much so that i bought their live cd/dvd, and i was so annoyed with it, because they hadnt changed their setlist, and everything was the same, it is the beauty of Pearl Jam.

Also Screaming jets, probably coz i scammed the guy on the door, and got in for free.
    seen live twice (distance & V tours), both times they were great, but what the fuck have they done to themselves!?!?!? the last two albums have been UNBEARABLE :confused:
    Look Alive,
    See These Bones
    itsevobaby wrote:
    seen live twice (distance & V tours), both times they were great, but what the fuck have they done to themselves!?!?!? the last two albums have been UNBEARABLE :confused:

Yeh, not thier best, Throwing copper kicks arse but. U can get a couple of good tracks on their last couple of albums. But i guess as with every band, they get older, more mature and start writing about different things, Unfortunatly for live, it has turned a bit pear shaped. Though on their last one i reckon the last 3 or 4 tracks r their best, Home, night of nights you r not alone. But i would still see em live coz they bring out old tracks, Ive met em aswell a few times, they seem pretty nice
    Sydney 11/02/2003
    Sydney 14/02/2003
    Sydney 07/11/2006
    Sydney 18/11/2006
    Sydney 22/11/2009
    EV Sydney 18/03/2011
    EV Sydney 19/03/2011
    EV Sydney 20/03/2011
    Melbourne 24/01/2014
    Sydney 26/01/2014
    EV Sydney 13/02/2014
  • Brain of J.LoBrain of J.Lo Posts: 3,259
    Not gonna list the dates...you can just guess :D Here are a few that really stand out to me:

Tool
    Rufus Wainwright (he is absolutely amazing live.)
    The Flaming Lips
    Morrissey
    The Mars Volta