Vitalogy Vs The Bends

walkthamilewalkthamile Posts: 349
edited December 2006 in Other Music
Vitalogy was released December 6, 1994...
The Bends was released April 4, 1995...

Both great albums that I got into at the same time...Vitalogy was my first Pearl Jam record and the The Bends was my first Radiohead record.

Both records in my opinion are each bands best work...

What do you think!!!
+--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour:Member #9-+--+
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• StoneG82StoneG82 Posts: 806
    i love the bends but it's definitely vitalogy for me.

its a lot weirder/darker
    "What’s Orphans? I don’t know. Orphans is a dead end kid driving a coffin with big tires across the Ohio River wearing welding goggles and a wife beater with a lit firecracker in his ear." - Tom Waits
  • the bends in a landslide
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • Neruda25Neruda25 Posts: 266
    Vitalogy is the best Pearl Jam Album ever!!!!
    22 nov. Santiago
    23 nov. Santiago
    25 nov. Buenos Aires
    26 nov. Buenos Aires

http://www.myspace.com/delonelyman
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    I would have to say The Bends because it was the first Radiohead album I got into heavily and it I listened to it repeatedly in a very difficult and changing time in my life and is probably my favourite Radiohead album, whereas Vitalogy is not my favourite Pearl Jam album.

So I believe The Bends
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • spin the black circle, baby!
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Vitalogy for sure.
  • hey I love The Bends but Vitalogy is a work of art IMO...

This is a PJ message board and all but there is something about Vitalogy...something really special
    My life is a disaster zone
  • Definitely Vitalogy
    "So, you must really love Led Zeppelin. That’s the oldest shirt I’ve ever seen on someone who wasn’t a bum."
    "Hey, if God didn’t want me to wear it so much, he wouldn’t have made them rock so hard."
  • hodgehodge Posts: 519
    the bends for sure
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
  • spongersponger Posts: 3,159
    Considering that I don't really like the bends nearly as much as I do the later radiohead stuff, this is sort of a no-brainer for me.
  • i *adore* the bends....but vitalogy wins though, by a landslide for me. as beautiful as the songs are on the bends, songs like STBC, last exit, and immortality pretty much seal the deal for me.
  • I'd definantly say Vitalogy is my favorite Pearl Jam album, I just love the vibe I get from it.

It's hard to decide what my favorite Radiohead album is though. I think it's a three way between The Bends, OK Computer, and Kid A.
  • RadioHead sucks. I'm sorry. They are talented yes, but that doesn't make their music good. It's just a bunch of weird noises.
  • both are great albums. I'm going with Vitalogy though
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • !!!!!!!!!

Whoa I misunderstood the point of this thread...my mistake...

I'd say Vitalogy is the winner between the two :D
  • The Bends is radiohead's best.

Vitalogy is most definitely Pearl jam's best.

Overall...Vitalogy gives me more reason to listen...but it's close.

To me...Vitalogy is the greatest album of the 90's...It does'nt get the overall recognition it deserves in the music industry.

Songs like

Not for You
    Spin the black Circle
    Corduroy
    Betterman
    Immortality
    Tremor Christ
    Satan's Bed

are some of the best songs of the 90's.
    *****no time to be void or save up on life,
    you got to spend it all...*****
  • BUENABUENA Posts: 165
    I go with Cake's FASSION NUGGET!
    "It's the American Dream I am disbelieving... When the gas in my tank feels like money in the bank... I’m gonna blow it all this time, take me one last ride..." - Gone (vedder)
  • The Bends is a much more solid, consistant record than Vitalogy. That's easy.

But I think I'd choose Vitalogy in this contest..

The Bends certainly packs on the emotion, but Vitalogy is just overflowing with raw energy and passion. It's moving on an entirely different level.

Lyrics on both records are fantastic, but given the circumstances I think Vitalogy gets points for that punch to the gut effect. Yeah The Bends is beautiful, but there haven't been many songs written that are as good as "Last Exit" and "Immortality". When you finally understand exactly what's going on with the words in Vitalogy you get this "Holy shit, wow" perception of it all (or at least I did).
    RadioHead sucks. I'm sorry. They are talented yes, but that doesn't make their music good. It's just a bunch of weird noises.
    - Most ignorant statement ever made.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    I really love both records, but Vitalogy is my favorite one ever...
    The bends made me discover radiohead and vitalogy made me discover PJ.
    94-96 is the best period of music for me.
    All my favorite bands/albums are from that period.
    Vitalogy and no code
    the bends and OK computer
    Weezer, the blue album and pinkerton
    Faith no more, king for a day
    Smashing pumpkins, mellon collie...
    Such a great period for me discovering those fantastic bands...
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Vitalogy by a million miles. By far PJ's best album and one of the best albums ever made in my opinion.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • theres not a single song i skip on the bends.

the only songs i listen to on vitalogy are tremor christ, not for you, satans bed, and immortality.

now if this were the bends vs. no code, i'd have a dilemma.
    Cheat the odds that made you
    Brave to try to gamble at times
  • RadioHead sucks. I'm sorry. They are talented yes, but that doesn't make their music good. It's just a bunch of weird noises.

a guy with the user name "DaveMatthews" says Radiohead sucks. lol, that's classic. weird noises? what are you even talking about? I can't imagine what your opinion of Pink Floyd or Frank Zappa is.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • a guy with the user name "DaveMatthews" says Radiohead sucks. lol, that's classic. weird noises? what are you even talking about? I can't imagine what your opinion of Pink Floyd or Frank Zappa is.
    Yeah I don't even know what he's talking about in terms of an album like Kid A, but the Bends is a straitforward, guitar driven rock album.

He's obviously never heard it before.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Yeah I don't even know what he's talking about in terms of an album like Kid A, but the Bends is a straitforward, guitar driven rock album.

obviously

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    Hey Dave go find a bridge and dump a month's worth of your fecal matter into the water. Dive in and get inspired to write another one of your shitty albums.

ps: "Don't drink the water"
    Hey Dave go find a bridge and dump a month's worth of your fecal matter into the water. Dive in and get inspired to write another one of your shitty albums.

ps: "Don't drink the water"

lmao
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
    Yeah I don't even know what he's talking about in terms of an album like Kid A, but the Bends is a straitforward, guitar driven rock album.

Totally agree, obviously never heard the Bends, Radiohead's materpiece, and there is no "bunch of weird noises" on there. The only thing that seems weird is the solo in My Iron Lung, which just didn't seem to be something Johnny could pull off live, but of course he can
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
    theres not a single song i skip on the bends.

now if this were the bends vs. no code, i'd have a dilemma.

That is exactly how I felt. No single song I skip on The Bends, but some I do skip on Vitalogy; and if this were No Code vs The Bends, I would have a dilemma as well.

Street Spirit (Fade Out) is my all-time favourite Radiohead song
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    RadioHead sucks. I'm sorry. They are talented yes, but that doesn't make their music good. It's just a bunch of weird noises.

So close to 2007 and still we have serious contenders for the most ridiculous post of the year.

Its all personal opinion but come on!!
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.