Cornell haters.

Comments

• soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    vmfury wrote:
    not only for who he projects himself to be, but also, and most importantly, for his talent. Hate on! :)
    vmfury wrote:
    That man has impeccable style...especially his jeans.

let's face it....he's the most beautiful man on the planet.

*drool*

yeah.... ALL about the talent.
    dharma69 wrote:
    I very well my disagree with you on points but I do love the way that you string your thoughts together and articulate them. You must write for a living or something of the sort.

hehe, thanks. im a law student, and i majored in english lit as an undergrad. so all i do is string arguments together for writing... it's made me an expert at bullshitting ;)
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    he's not luciano fucking pavoratti. he's not even mariah carey (if you wanna talk about strict technical skills). he's just a solid singer for a good band who maybe could have been an opera singer cos he's got the raw skill, but he's not that much of a pussy (yet).

See what I don't understand about your argument, is on the one hand you are prepared to talk about the technicality of singing and what-not, then when someone talks Cornell up FOR HIS VOICE (and nothing else) you are really quick to put him down. As a male rock singer he's about as consummate as you get. Pavarotti couldn't pull off rock music, so I could reverse your statement and say Pavarotti is no Chris Cornell. I'd also point out what is actually very uniqe in his voice, is the fact that he can also do the much lower stuff too, which most of rock's classic wailers can't/couldn't do. He has plenty of songs where he just sings, my favourite song by him is Seasons, which to my ears features no wailing at all.

I don't think anyone would care if you just said you didn't like the tone of his voice when he does the high end stuff - that's totally cool. However, even by your own admission, you don't know that much about singing, so when people are 'lecturing' you about how 'good' his voice is, surely you aren't in the best position to argue otherwise?

Oh and finally, it sounds like you need to listen to Temple Of The Dog if you don't think his technical skills are up to scratch, go with Four Walled World, I'm not sure I can think of many male singers who could pull that shit off.
    I don't think anyone would care if you just said you didn't like the tone of his voice when he does the high end stuff - that's totally cool. However, even by your own admission, you don't know that much about singing, so when people are 'lecturing' you about how 'good' his voice is, surely you aren't in the best position to argue otherwise?

that's what i usually do so. after thread number 17 i decide to pop in and say "cmon guys, he's not THAT amazing that he needs 16 threads." which usually earns me about 4 pages of "but dude, he's the greatest technical singer ever, how can you possibly not like him?" that is what's annoying. im not arguing his technical merit, im arguing that it is not blasphemy to say he's not the best thing since sliced bread, and that maybe we could do with 3 or 13 fewer cornell threads. if all anyone wants to talk about is how hot cornell looks in his new jeans and how weak in the knees his god-like vocal talents make you, then he has his own forum. you can all drool together over there.
    that's what i usually do so. after thread number 17 i decide to pop in and say "cmon guys, he's not THAT amazing that he needs 16 threads." which usually earns me about 4 pages of "but dude, he's the greatest technical singer ever, how can you possibly not like him?" that is what's annoying. im not arguing his technical merit, im arguing that it is not blasphemy to say he's not the best thing since sliced bread, and that maybe we could do with 3 or 13 fewer cornell threads. if all anyone wants to talk about is how hot cornell looks in his new jeans and how weak in the knees his god-like vocal talents make you, then he has his own forum. you can all drool together over there.

Oh come on surely by now you should realise that there are gonna be a load of Cornell threads in a PJ forum - he made an album with all of PJ after all! The thing is, there are far more members on this board than there are on the Cornell one, and through the obvious connections, it's no surprise that people here like to talk about him. I agree that the number of threads has in the past been ridiculous, but what can you do? I understand that you may not share other people's enthusiasm, but for some people Cornell's music is just as important as Pearl Jam's. At least this guy has musical talent, imagine if everyone was creaming themselves over Nickelback or something like that! And is the 'how hot Cornell looks in his jeans' thing any different to the 'pictures where ed looks hot' threads?! I think not. Ultimately you will always get people who are more interested in the image over the music, it's just the way things go.
    Oh come on surely by now you should realise that there are gonna be a load of Cornell threads in a PJ forum - he made an album with all of PJ after all! The thing is, there are far more members on this board than there are on the Cornell one, and through the obvious connections, it's no surprise that people here like to talk about him. I agree that the number of threads has in the past been ridiculous, but what can you do? I understand that you may not share other people's enthusiasm, but for some people Cornell's music is just as important as Pearl Jam's. At least this guy has musical talent, imagine if everyone was creaming themselves over Nickelback or something like that! And is the 'how hot Cornell looks in his jeans' thing any different to the 'pictures where ed looks hot' threads?! I think not. Ultimately you will always get people who are more interested in the image over the music, it's just the way things go.

dont worry, im just as annoyed by the hot eddie threads... it's why i almost never go over to the porch.
  • no one gives a shit about what pavarotti looks like. why? because he's a great singer. Cornell could look like the back end of an elephant for all i care, as long as he still sings as well as he does now.

soulsinging, i was taking your points seriously until you started about matt bellamy. i have four words for that fucker:'try staying in tune'

and btw, cornell does keep it in tune, and sings a wider variety of songs-which is why some ppl prefer some of his songs over others.

if you take issue with middle aged women fawning over cornell for his looks, i hear you! Try going to an incubus concert, Brandon Boyd sings his heart out all night long, only for the biggest scream from the audience to be when he took his shirt off. It annoyed the piss out of me.

however, they are a small minority. you should try euphoria morning, the majority of that album is not sung in a high register and you might like it...
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    yippee - another Cornell thread.

**shakes head and walks away sobbing**
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    muppet wrote:
    I agree with the middle aged women remark. .

I think you'll find most are far from middle-age.. more like late teens/early twenties.. if that.
    muppet wrote:
    voting for Cornell repeatedly in some stupid 'Who was the best singer at Live Earth?' poll
    Didn't PJ fans do the same kind of thing for some stupid best band thing on some unknown website? ;)
    no one gives a shit about what pavarotti looks like. why? because he's a great singer. Cornell could look like the back end of an elephant for all i care, as long as he still sings as well as he does now.

soulsinging, i was taking your points seriously until you started about matt bellamy. i have four words for that fucker:'try staying in tune'

and btw, cornell does keep it in tune, and sings a wider variety of songs-which is why some ppl prefer some of his songs over others.

if you take issue with middle aged women fawning over cornell for his looks, i hear you! Try going to an incubus concert, Brandon Boyd sings his heart out all night long, only for the biggest scream from the audience to be when he took his shirt off. It annoyed the piss out of me.

however, they are a small minority. you should try euphoria morning, the majority of that album is not sung in a high register and you might like it...

eh, i've never been all that much more impressed by his lower key stuff either. that's what im saying. even aside from the cringe-inducing shrieks, i don't get what's so genius about him. his songs aren't anything to write home about and when he's singing in the lower registers his voice seems no different to me than ed singing thumbing my way.
  • pjtaperpjtaper Posts: 3,020
    LOVE HIS VOICE! LOVE HIS SONGS!!!
    But I think he is an ASSHOLE, and I won't listen to his music anymore...
    He does wear some nice designer jeans! I also wish I had the time to give myself such perfect facial hair, he must spend hours on it daily...
    he's a DIVA with a disease that's GREEN!
    G-R-E-E-D!
  • lowlight10lowlight10 Posts: 619
    this is why im a cornell hater... middle aged women creaming their skirts becos he's so gorgeous and dresses so nice.

its too bad that you let what other people think and do affect your enjoyment of the arts.

he's simply awesome. great songs, great voice, and most of the time has had some stellar musicians behind him. i dont love every song he's ever done, but you can easily make 1 amazing disc out of the 3 Audioslave albums. EM is incredible, and the last 2 soungarden albums are probably in my top 10.
    -

"In your case, I'll check my brain at the door and we'll start even, okay?"

Have you thanked a taper today?
  • redrockredrock Posts: 18,341
    pjtaper wrote:
    and I won't listen to his music anymore...
    We know :rolleyes:
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    redrock wrote:
    I think you'll find most are far from middle-age.. more like late teens/early twenties.. if that.

Didn't PJ fans do the same kind of thing for some stupid best band thing on some unknown website? ;)

Looking at the profiles on the CC official forum, it looks as if the majority of posters are female between 30-50 years old. Of course, they only make up a small percent of Cornell's fans.

As for that best band ever thing, I don't know, I was never round for that. Stuff like that is completely ridclious. Let the artists win because of their talent, not because of some obsessive fans who want to cram their favourite band down everyones throat.

You get this "they can do no wrong!!!" attitude with every band, I suppose. I just think some Cornell fans take it way, way too far.
  • soulsinging.

i think you're tone deaf
    lowlight10 wrote:
    its too bad that you let what other people think and do affect your enjoyment of the arts.

he's simply awesome. great songs, great voice, and most of the time has had some stellar musicians behind him. i dont love every song he's ever done, but you can easily make 1 amazing disc out of the 3 Audioslave albums. EM is incredible, and the last 2 soungarden albums are probably in my top 10.

i was unimpressed with cornell long before i knew how retarded his fans were. i have soundgarden's a-sides and that's about all i need from the man. the only song it's missing is my wave and the 3 good songs off totd.
    eh, i've never been all that much more impressed by his lower key stuff either. that's what im saying. even aside from the cringe-inducing shrieks, i don't get what's so genius about him. his songs aren't anything to write home about and when he's singing in the lower registers his voice seems no different to me than ed singing thumbing my way.

Yet Ed wouldn't get anywhere near the high notes that Cornell can do. It's ok, I get it, you don't have any particular respect for people who have vocal talent. That's cool, some people don't find five minute, lightning-speed guitar solos impressive either.

And seriously, you say his songs are nothing to write home about, have you even read any of his lyrics? Here's Like Suicide for your perusal:

Heard it from another room
    Eyes were waking up just to fall asleep
    Loves like suicide
    Dazed out in a garden bed
    With a broken neck lays my broken gift
    Just like suicide

And my last ditch
    Was my last brick
    Lent to finish her
    Finish her

Bit down on the bullet now
    I had a taste so sour
    I had to think of something sweet
    Loves like suicide
    Safe outside my gilded cage
    With an ounce of pain
    I wield a ton of rage
    Just like suicide

With eyes of blood
    And bitter blue
    How I feel for you
    I feel for you

She lived like a murder
    How shed fly so sweetly
    She lived like a murder
    But she died
    Just like suicide

You should also read pretty much all the lyrics to Temple of the Dog - few people have conveyed heart-ache like Cornell does on that record.
  • lowlight10lowlight10 Posts: 619
    i was unimpressed with cornell long before i knew how retarded his fans were. i have soundgarden's a-sides and that's about all i need from the man. the only song it's missing is my wave and the 3 good songs off totd.

ridiculous. i'm not a huge fan of BMF, but slaves & bulldozers, rusty cage and outshined are masterpieces.

black hole sun is the only song from Superunknown that I would leave off of a greatest hits.

and Down on the Upside...where do I begin? Overfloater, Boot Camp, Zero Chance...just incredible.
    -

"In your case, I'll check my brain at the door and we'll start even, okay?"

Have you thanked a taper today?
  • Strangest TribeStrangest Tribe Posts: 2,502
    who's Chris Cornell???
    the Minions
  • TangerineTangerine Posts: 880
    Cornell was and is a great singer. I think cancelling those shows sucked (but who really knows what happened?). Personally I much prefer Ed's voice to Cornell but I like them both. Yes, the women on his Message Board are absolutely, unbelievably obsessed...much more so than the female Ed fans on here of which I include myself (which is why I'm just asking this here instead of there)...But does anyone that's been to a recent show know if cameras are allowed? We're going to see him tomorrow at the BOA Pavillion and the tickets say No Cameras but it seems that pics/videos are still popping up everywhere. I really just want to take one in to get pics of my son at his first concert but I don't want it to be confiscated, if it possibly will be I'll just take in a disposable and hope for the best.

Sorry, I know this is off the topic of the "Great Debate" but I didn't want to start yet another Cornell thread ; )
    2006: Boston I, Camden II
    2007: Chicago
    2008: Hartford, Mansfield I & II, EV Boston
    2009: Philly III & IV
    2010: Boston
    2011: PJ20
    2012: Philly
    2013: Worcester I & II, Brooklyn I & II
  • bookmusebookmuse Posts: 277
    Tangerine wrote:
    Cornell was and is a great singer.

But does anyone that's been to a recent show know if cameras are allowed? We're going to see him tomorrow at the BOA Pavillion and the tickets say No Cameras but it seems that pics/videos are still popping up everywhere. I really just want to take one in to get pics of my son at his first concert but I don't want it to be confiscated, if it possibly will be I'll just take in a disposable and hope for the best.

Sorry, I know this is off the topic of the "Great Debate" but I didn't want to start yet another Cornell thread ; )

Yes, cameras are allowed as long as you don't use a flash.
    "Speak your mind even if your voice shakes" ~ M Kuhn
    Yet Ed wouldn't get anywhere near the high notes that Cornell can do. It's ok, I get it, you don't have any particular respect for people who have vocal talent. That's cool, some people don't find five minute, lightning-speed guitar solos impressive either.

And seriously, you say his songs are nothing to write home about, have you even read any of his lyrics? Here's Like Suicide for your perusal:

Loves like suicide
    Just like suicide

And my last ditch
    Was my last brick
    Lent to finish her
    Finish her

I had a taste so sour
    Loves like suicide
    With an ounce of pain
    I wield a ton of rage
    Just like suicide

With eyes of blood
    And bitter blue
    How I feel for you
    I feel for you

She lived like a murder
    How shed fly so sweetly
    She lived like a murder
    But she died
    Just like suicide

You should also read pretty much all the lyrics to Temple of the Dog - few people have conveyed heart-ache like Cornell does on that record.

holy shit! you're right! ive been way off base this whole time... those are the best lyrics i've ever read in my entire life... he IS a god!

oh wait... nope, still don't care for him. "A" for effort though.
  • TangerineTangerine Posts: 880
    bookmuse wrote:
    Yes, cameras are allowed as long as you don't use a flash.

Thank you : )
    2006: Boston I, Camden II
    2007: Chicago
    2008: Hartford, Mansfield I & II, EV Boston
    2009: Philly III & IV
    2010: Boston
    2011: PJ20
    2012: Philly
    2013: Worcester I & II, Brooklyn I & II
  • pjtaper wrote:
    LOVE HIS VOICE! LOVE HIS SONGS!!!
    But I think he is an ASSHOLE, and I won't listen to his music anymore...
    He does wear some nice designer jeans! I also wish I had the time to give myself such perfect facial hair, he must spend hours on it daily...
    he's a DIVA with a disease that's GREEN!
    G-R-E-E-D!

I am pretty much in agreement with pjtaper... I am huge Soundgarden/TOTD fan and liked some of the hard Audioslave stuff, and I look for old SG bootlegs, but these days the guy is a $hitclown. It is too bad that he needs to be tormented by demons and addictions to produce amazing music; which he is no longer capable of.
    Kim Thayil owns his soul.
  • PJGARDENPJGARDEN Posts: 1,484

Loves like suicide
    Just like suicide

And my last ditch
    Was my last brick
    Lent to finish her
    Finish her

I had a taste so sour
    Loves like suicide
    With an ounce of pain
    I wield a ton of rage
    Just like suicide

With eyes of blood
    And bitter blue
    How I feel for you
    I feel for you

She lived like a murder
    How shed fly so sweetly
    She lived like a murder
    But she died
    Just like suicide

have you heard the acoustic version of like suicide? it really shows how beautiful his low register is. i dont agree with him canceling the shows but i still love his music. seeing him again wed and cant wait!
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    Posting lyrics to a song isn't going to change somebodys mind. In fact, nothing is. Guess what, music is subjective.
    holy shit! you're right! ive been way off base this whole time... those are the best lyrics i've ever read in my entire life... he IS a god!

oh wait... nope, still don't care for him. "A" for effort though.

dude, do you even know what the song is about? Nice condescending tone there though, I'd love to go for a beer with you some time, you must be such fun....
  • Tek MoneyTek Money Posts: 642
    muppet wrote:
    Posting lyrics to a song isn't going to change somebodys mind. In fact, nothing is. Guess what, music is subjective.

This guy has it right.
    Cock Fight.
    dude, do you even know what the song is about? Nice condescending tone there though, I'd love to go for a beer with you some time, you must be such fun....

just responding to your own condescension. this is textbook why i get so pissed about the cornell love around here. i say i dont care for him and there are 10 people telling me "clearly you never listened to *insert personal fav song here* cos if you had you'd know him." it IS possible that he doesn't turn various people's cranks. half the shit i listen to would be ripped to shreds by people around here. that's cool. it's all subjective.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    just responding to your own condescension. this is textbook why i get so pissed about the cornell love around here. i say i dont care for him and there are 10 people telling me "clearly you never listened to *insert personal fav song here* cos if you had you'd know him." it IS possible that he doesn't turn various people's cranks. half the shit i listen to would be ripped to shreds by people around here. that's cool. it's all subjective.

what are you into except black crowes and pearl jam?