Cornell haters.

chris05chris05 Posts: 347
edited July 2007 in Other Music
yeh i know another Cornell thread im sure you all hate me right now. But i seen this guy friday nite and he was amazing, truly amazing. Anyone who says that he has lost his voice is crazy, when he sang say hello 2 heaven i had goosebumps. It was by far one of the best shows i ever seen. So before u bash him, go see him in concert if you havent already.
Who cares if the world is going down the toilet? Eddie Vedder got his mojo back!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    i hate anti - cornell thread starters.

yeh i cant wait for my 2nd show but thats in september!

he has played 3 uk dates and only ever played hugner strike so hopefulyl we get more totd!
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,853
    chris05 wrote:
    So before u bash him, go see him in concert if you havent already.

most of us who bash him don't bash him because of his music. It's his Jesus-complex that gets to me
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,557
    most of us who bash him don't bash him because of his music. It's his Jesus-complex that gets to me

you dont like a little jesus christ pose?
  • oppie1oppie1 Posts: 755
    chris05 wrote:
    yeh i know another Cornell thread im sure you all hate me right now. But i seen this guy friday nite and he was amazing, truly amazing. Anyone who says that he has lost his voice is crazy, when he sang say hello 2 heaven i had goosebumps. It was by far one of the best shows i ever seen. So before u bash him, go see him in concert if you havent already.
    was he wearing his new $200 pair of jeans?
    BoyHitsCar Masked Street Team
    www.lovecorealliance.com

Upcoming boyhitscar concerts:
    11/7/07 - Allentown Pa
    11/11/07 - Hartford Ct

www.myspace.com/briankutys
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    chris05 wrote:

i never said that he lost his voice, i said his was never all that impressive to begin with and that his mindless worshipers who make 9 threads a day about how much they want to get on their knees to kiss his **** are really annoying and pathetic.
  • i never said that he lost his voice, i said his was never all that impressive to begin with and that his mindless worshipers who make 9 threads a day about how much they want to get on their knees to kiss his **** are really annoying and pathetic.

So if someone said PJ (or silverchair) had no talent that wouldn't piss you off?
  • LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    nice..i'm seeing him next saturday in reading...setlists?
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
    So if someone said PJ (or silverchair) had no talent that wouldn't piss you off?

not in the least. i couldn't care less what you think of silverchair. i also won't made 9 threads a day about them to try jamming their genius down your throat.
  • Tek MoneyTek Money Posts: 642
    not in the least. i couldn't care less what you think of silverchair. i also won't made 9 threads a day about them to try jamming their genius down your throat.

Zing!
    Cock Fight.
  • i never said that he lost his voice, i said his was never all that impressive to begin with and that his mindless worshipers who make 9 threads a day about how much they want to get on their knees to kiss his **** are really annoying and pathetic.
    Woah, woah. Can you sing his stuff? Can you write songs in such complex time signatures with such crazy syncopation? This guy is impressive as a singer and a songwriter. Although I agree with you about the Cornell ass-kissers, he does screw up as the jeans incident has proven. He still makes and made great music though and that comes above his personality for me.
    Woah, woah. Can you sing his stuff? Can you write songs in such complex time signatures with such crazy syncopation? This guy is impressive as a singer and a songwriter. Although I agree with you about the Cornell ass-kissers, he does screw up as the jeans incident has proven. He still makes and made great music though and that comes above his personality for me.

i cant sing a green day song and make it sound good. im not a singer. doesn't mean i dont give a shit how many different registers or whatever he can hit. listen to birth ritual from the singles soundtrack. that ungodly screech is one of the most hideous noises ive ever heard from a human voicebox (aside from maybe the kings of leon guy at times). i just dont like it. as to crazy syncopation, i dont give a shit. that doesn't appeal to me. it's why i've never really loved matt cameron in pearl jam... he fit perfectly with soundgarden's style, but his drumming just doesnt fit pearl jam. sure, i like some soundgarden and there are worse evils in life than cornell. but he's not the second coming of beethoven like people round here seem to think. so it's annoying to see half of the other music forum on a regular basis full of ass-kissing for a modelling, walmart playing, punk. cornell is going the way of lenny kravitz... a guy who once showed some promise and has since ridden on those laurels and his looks and style.
  • vmfuryvmfury Posts: 1,091
    It's his Jesus-complex that gets to me

Well....he IS the next best thing. ;)

oppie1 wrote:
    was he wearing his new $200 pair of jeans?

That man has impeccable style...especially his jeans.

I saw him in May and I'm going again 2 weeks from now. I can't wait! His voice is still amazing and he makes it look so easy to hit the incredible pitch he does. His stage presence is nothing less than awesome and let's face it....he's the most beautiful man on the planet. *drool* I don't see arrogance. He's intelligent and extremely talented. He's worked hard to be where he is and I commend him for that. Cheers to Chris Cornell! :)
    We’ll meet again, but not yet…not yet. 
  • JuberooJuberoo Posts: 472
    I wonder if any of the PJ guys were there.
    Makes much more sense, to live in the present tense.

A truly liberal person is conservative when necessary.

Pro-life by choice.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    Im not a hater but to think that him or any of the bands he has been in are better than Eddie or Pearl Jam is just crazy. Soundgarden was solid and Audioslave had one or two good songs but I am not crazy about either of them, his voice just does not do it for me.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    See the thing with Chris Cornell is, whether you like it or not, on a technical basis he has an incredible voice, far far beyond what the vast majority of rock vocalists can do. Whether someone digs his tone or style is completely irrelevent, it would be like saying Aretha Franklin has a bad voice, or can't sing - it's plainly not true. Yet so many of the haters out there will just put him down and say he has a shit voice, proving they can't really know much about the art of singing, and let's be fair, it most certainly is a talent, being able to push your voice to it's extremes, is something that a lot of people will work at their whole lives - and still not get anywhere near what Cornell can do. I guess then it's even more annoying to know that Cornell's ability seems to come to him so very easily.

Back to why I think a lot of people dislike him, I think a lot of it boils down to him being the absolute epitome of alpha male. I think a lot of people might see him as arrogant, cause he has the movie star good looks, and loads of women seem to love him as much for his looks as his voice, but I think it's a great disservice to dismiss him just because of that. For me it's all about the voice, it never ceases to amaze me. I'm not saying every song of his is good, BUT his voice seems to convey so much emotion and power, which I just don't hear in many other singers. I challenge anyone to listen to Say Hello 2 Heaven and not be moved by it.
    vmfury wrote:
    Well....he IS the next best thing. ;)

That man has impeccable style...especially his jeans.

I saw him in May and I'm going again 2 weeks from now. I can't wait! His voice is still amazing and he makes it look so easy to hit the incredible pitch he does. His stage presence is nothing less than awesome and let's face it....he's the most beautiful man on the planet. *drool* I don't see arrogance. He's intelligent and extremely talented. He's worked hard to be where he is and I commend him for that. Cheers to Chris Cornell! :)

this is why im a cornell hater... middle aged women creaming their skirts becos he's so gorgeous and dresses so nice. when the fuck did dressing nice become part of rock and roll? i hate that beatlemania segment of his fanbase, girls brought up on grunge who never got over their teenbeat crushes on cornell. add that to the people talking about 'technical skill' like it matters and im just annoyed. most of the best singers in rock had shit for technical skill. then those who do (eddie van halen) doesn't mean shit. all the technical skill in the world can't save you if your wails sound like a baby being spanked.
    this is why im a cornell hater... middle aged women creaming their skirts becos he's so gorgeous and dresses so nice. when the fuck did dressing nice become part of rock and roll? i hate that beatlemania segment of his fanbase, girls brought up on grunge who never got over their teenbeat crushes on cornell. add that to the people talking about 'technical skill' like it matters and im just annoyed. most of the best singers in rock had shit for technical skill. then those who do (eddie van halen) doesn't mean shit. all the technical skill in the world can't save you if your wails sound like a baby being spanked.

See I agree with the first part of what you said, but maybe you should give less of a shit about why other people are into a certain band or artist and instead focus on the music itself.

As far as technical skill, I agree that it isn't necessarily important, I like plenty of bands with singers who can't sing, but they have a lot of passion for what they do. So to me, it is even more impressive when someone can combine good lyrics, emotion AND an incredible voice - to me it's as good as it gets.

And as far as his 'wails sound like a baby being spanked', then I would presume you would apply the same statement to Robert Plant, Freddie Mercury, Jeff Buckley etc? And if so, I'm not sure how qualified you are to be talking about rock music ;)
  • See I agree with the first part of what you said, but maybe you should give less of a shit about why other people are into a certain band or artist and instead focus on the music itself.

As far as technical skill, I agree that it isn't necessarily important, I like plenty of bands with singers who can't sing, but they have a lot of passion for what they do. So to me, it is even more impressive when someone can combine good lyrics, emotion AND an incredible voice - to me it's as good as it gets.

And as far as his 'wails sound like a baby being spanked', then I would presume you would apply the same statement to Robert Plant, Freddie Mercury, Jeff Buckley etc? And if so, I'm not sure how qualified you are to be talking about rock music ;)
    Well said. You dont have to like him but you damn well should respect his musical abilities.
    See I agree with the first part of what you said, but maybe you should give less of a shit about why other people are into a certain band or artist and instead focus on the music itself.

robert plant annoys me at times, and i never really listen to queen. jeff buckley is good. im not saying cornell is horrible. it's an exaggerated reaction. his voice isn't THAT bad, it just hits some annoying levels at times. but more importantly, it's not that GOOD either. technically, maybe he mops the floor with anyone else in rock. but i don't care. ill take eddie vedder over that any day. or the guy from muse. or james brown. it's just not all that compelling to me. and im tired of being told cornell is jesus fucking christ with a guitar all the time and then being lectured about his technical skill and range any time i disagree.
    or the guy from muse. it's just not all that compelling to me.

Fuck me, you don't think Matt Bellamy's voice hits some grating notes?! Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Muse fan, but seriously......actually in some ways I think Cornell and Bellamy are quite similar, in that they both use their voices as an instrument, which is kind of why they both do the stupidly high stuff, it's essentially the same as a guitarist showing off on a solo.

And also you say his voice isn't that good, but you are using that term completely subjectively. Are we in agreeance that anything beyond power/range/versatility is purely subjective? If so, the term 'good' should surely be reserved for the technical side of singing and not whether you like someone's tone or style of singing? All I'm getting at is give credit where it's due, hell I'll admit Mariah Carey has an astounding voice, despite the fact I can't stand a single song she's done.

For the record, I prefer Ed too, the tone of his voice sends shivers done my spine like no other.
  • Fuck me, you don't think Matt Bellamy's voice hits some grating notes?! Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Muse fan, but seriously......actually in some ways I think Cornell and Bellamy are quite similar, in that they both use their voices as an instrument, which is kind of why they both do the stupidly high stuff, it's essentially the same as a guitarist showing off on a solo.

For the record, I prefer Ed too, the tone of his voice sends shivers done my spine like no other.
    Haha, exactly what I was gonna say. But Matt Bellamy hits those notes in his falsetto, not his head voice, making him a very different and, to my ears, far more like a baby wailing.
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    I agree with the middle aged women remark. Have you been on his offical forums? It's quite sad, really. It's like they idolize the man and worship his every move. A few of them have literally spent their entire week voting for Cornell repeatedly in some stupid 'Who was the best singer at Live Earth?' poll Quite ironic I think, because I always thought a lot of Cornell's songs were about his dislike for blind faith.

But that's about his fans - the man himself has a brilliant singing voice, IMO. I'm not too fond of Carry On though.
  • vmfuryvmfury Posts: 1,091

Get over yourself. First of all, I'm not even near middle-aged, and secondly, if I was, age has no relevance. You're a CC hater....good for you! Those of us who appreciate him have our opinions and if you don't like it, look the other way. You simply love to hear yourself speak. Enjoy. I've always liked Chris Cornell, not only for who he projects himself to be, but also, and most importantly, for his talent. Hate on! :)
    We’ll meet again, but not yet…not yet. 
  • patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    I just didn't like the one day notice of the Denver show being postponed. I mean if your doing a tour, dont cancel 2 cities and do some show for jeans. Thats just bullshit.
    Fuck me, you don't think Matt Bellamy's voice hits some grating notes?! Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge Muse fan, but seriously......actually in some ways I think Cornell and Bellamy are quite similar, in that they both use their voices as an instrument, which is kind of why they both do the stupidly high stuff, it's essentially the same as a guitarist showing off on a solo.

And also you say his voice isn't that good, but you are using that term completely subjectively. Are we in agreeance that anything beyond power/range/versatility is purely subjective? If so, the term 'good' should surely be reserved for the technical side of singing and not whether you like someone's tone or style of singing? All I'm getting at is give credit where it's due, hell I'll admit Mariah Carey has an astounding voice, despite the fact I can't stand a single song she's done.

i dont think i was ever arguing i was using some sort of objective standard. yeah, the dude from muse hits high sometimes, but i prefer the falsetto to the banshee wail i sometimes get from cornell. just a matter of taste i think.

all im saying is im annoyed by the 19 cornell threads a day in here. he's good, but not THAT good. im sure there's a cornell forum somewhere for some of those threads. i dont think he's a genius and it's fucking annoying that anytime i say so i get a lecture. yeah, maybe he's a technical genius... i have no fucking clue, im not a singer. all i know is sometimes he hits me the wrong way and it bugs the shit out of me that anytime i say so i get a lecture about how he's the greatest technical singer in the history of human vocalization.

he's not luciano fucking pavoratti. he's not even mariah carey (if you wanna talk about strict technical skills). he's just a solid singer for a good band who maybe could have been an opera singer cos he's got the raw skill, but he's not that much of a pussy (yet).
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    muppet wrote:
    I agree with the middle aged women remark. Have you been on his offical forums? It's quite sad, really. It's like they idolize the man and worship his every move. A few of them have literally spent their entire week voting for Cornell repeatedly in some stupid 'Who was the best singer at Live Earth?' though.
    kinda reminds me of the ed stalkers/lovers on here
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    You do realize Chris 'Zoolander' Cornell is about one hit mega ballad away from being the next Bon Jovi don't you. I had Slippery When Wet when I was in middle school, and I had Badmotorfinger in high school. It doesn't mean Chris Cornell was never any good, it just means he isn't good now. The guy got older, had some sort of image crisis, and decided he would make a brand of rock music that would have the best chance of selling, and he would rely on his looks to sell it.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    i dont think i was ever arguing i was using some sort of objective standard. yeah, the dude from muse hits high sometimes, but i prefer the falsetto to the banshee wail i sometimes get from cornell. just a matter of taste i think.

all im saying is im annoyed by the 19 cornell threads a day in here. he's good, but not THAT good. im sure there's a cornell forum somewhere for some of those threads. i dont think he's a genius and it's fucking annoying that anytime i say so i get a lecture. yeah, maybe he's a technical genius... i have no fucking clue, im not a singer. all i know is sometimes he hits me the wrong way and it bugs the shit out of me that anytime i say so i get a lecture about how he's the greatest technical singer in the history of human vocalization.

he's not luciano fucking pavoratti. he's not even mariah carey (if you wanna talk about strict technical skills). he's just a solid singer for a good band who maybe could have been an opera singer cos he's got the raw skill, but he's not that much of a pussy (yet).
    I very well my disagree with you on points but I do love the way that you string your thoughts together and articulate them. You must write for a living or something of the sort.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    kinda reminds me of the ed stalkers/lovers on here

Yea just a few of them on here right? LOL
  • robert plant annoys me at times, and i never really listen to queen. jeff buckley is good. im not saying cornell is horrible. it's an exaggerated reaction. his voice isn't THAT bad, it just hits some annoying levels at times. but more importantly, it's not that GOOD either. technically, maybe he mops the floor with anyone else in rock. but i don't care. ill take eddie vedder over that any day. or the guy from muse. or james brown. it's just not all that compelling to me. and im tired of being told cornell is jesus fucking christ with a guitar all the time and then being lectured about his technical skill and range any time i disagree.

I agree with you about Robert Plant being annoying sometimes....:) But! I think if nothing else, people could respect Cornell for being able to get his voice back up to the level it's at now, considering what he did to it over years. For me, personally, I love his voice, but I hate the blind faith some people put in him. As someone said, the variety of opinions you get over on the CC boards range from "He's great!" to "Great? Dude, he's awesome!"

And yeah, he's suffering from diminishing returns since Euphoria Morning - as far as the quality of his music goes. His voice is incredible right now. If the notes he hits annoy you, that's more to do with your taste in music than the quality of Cornell's voice. For example, I can appreciate that Muse make some good music, but Matt Bellamy's technique of breathing heavily after every single line annoys four kinds of fuck outta me.:D
    I agree with the middle aged women remark. Have you been on his offical forums? It's quite sad, really. It's like they idolize the man and worship his every move. A few of them have literally spent their entire week voting for Cornell repeatedly in some stupid 'Who was the best singer at Live Earth?' poll Quite ironic I think, because I always thought a lot of Cornell's songs were about his dislike for blind faith.

And as for this... It's no different to all those times people made urgent posts on the Porch about Pearl Jam falling behind Evanescence in some Greatest Living Band poll or something. Pot/kettle, anyone?:p
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.