Would Incubus be

Comments

• never....saw them live and it was one of the biggest letdowns ever....kinda gave up on them since.
    "It's all happening"
  • Why cant you deal with somebody bashing others for listening to a band? Why dont you go sit in the corner and cry yourself a river.

Because 99% of the time, when people on this board are bashing others for listening to a band, they are doing so in a juvenile, unintelligent fashion. They have no reason for their bashing. It's like listening to junior high school kids attack others. If you don't like something, have a fucking reason for it. If you like something, have a fucking reason for it. "Because I said so" is not a reason. "It sucks" is not a reason. If you want to offer up empty, superficial shit like that, then be prepared for me to bash you right back.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • boroff89 wrote:
    Because 99% of the time, when people on this board are bashing others for listening to a band, they are doing so in a juvenile, unintelligent fashion. They have no reason for their bashing. It's like listening to junior high school kids attack others. If you don't like something, have a fucking reason for it. If you like something, have a fucking reason for it. "Because I said so" is not a reason. "It sucks" is not a reason. If you want to offer up empty, superficial shit like that, then be prepared for me to bash you right back.

Is this enough of a reason for you, his vocals are annoying and bad, most of their songs have no melody or weird arrangements.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Jellyrolls wrote:
    in your top 40 favorite bands of all time? Why or why not?

Nope...because they're not very good. :D;)
  • weird arrangements.

That's the only thing I find marginally interesting about them...lol.
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    Is this enough of a reason for you, his vocals are annoying and bad, most of their songs have no melody or weird arrangements.

That is definitely an improvement. My brother hates Incubus because of Brandon's voice. His voice doesn't bother me, but just like with Pearl Jam and Eddie, I get it when his voice does bother others. As for the melody aspect, I have to disagree about that. I find most of Incubus's songs to be melodic. Weird arrangements. . .I suppose. Can you give me an example?
  • Brandon's voice is phenomenal and has only gotten better/higher/more mature.
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • JennytreeJennytree Posts: 5,340
    I agree with Blind Melon... Brandons voice has grown instead of bursted in the past few years.

I love hearing them live, I love listening to them. IMO, they kicked the Kings of Leon's ass when they played Nijmegen.

Listening to them is kind of a dreamy stoned experience...
    This is me:
    http://www.facebook.com/jennytree

SMELL YER MA!
  • pirlo21pirlo21 Posts: 534
    In my top 40? They may just squeeze in.

Whoever it was backing 'Wish You Were Here', I'm with you on that. I think it's a great song. A real feel good track.
    Still haven't got into the new album yet, not really given it a chance.
    Cymru Am Byth

PJ albums, at the moment!! -
    1,Vs 2,Vitalogy 3,No Code 4,Yield 5,Ten 6,Backspacer, 7Pearl Jam 8,Binaural 9,Riot Act.
  • thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    I think Make Yourself and Morning View are good CDs to listen to, but their last 2 have tarnished their name forever.
  • rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    Jellyrolls wrote:
    No because here are 40 bands I like better (in no particular order):

Pearl Jam
    Led Zep
    Rush
    Springsteen and e Street
    Idlewild
    Metallica
    The Who
    The Beatles
    Death Cab
    Ozzy
    AIC
    Smashing Pumpkins
    Tool
    Pink Floyd
    Megadeth
    Pantera
    Boston
    Brad
    U2
    Soundgarden
    The White Stripes
    NIN
    Nirvana
    Ramones
    Counting Crows
    RATM
    REM
    Talking Heads
    The Cure
    Guns N Roses
    Jimi Hendrix Experience
    RHCP
    Social D
    Temple of the Dog
    New Order
    Ministry
    AC/DC
    Faith No More
    The Killers
    Live
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Jellyrolls wrote:

yes because I love SCIENCE. I don't care for most of their stuff though. but Science and Fungus Amongus are two of my favorite albums
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • This thread has proven to me that Incubus really has just dropped off the radar. Pretty crazy since a lot of people loved Morning View, then stopped after that. Huh, weird.
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    rrivers wrote:
    No because here are 40 bands I like better (in no particular order):

Pearl Jam
    Led Zep
    Rush
    Springsteen and e Street
    Idlewild
    Metallica
    The Who
    The Beatles
    Death Cab
    Ozzy
    AIC
    Smashing Pumpkins
    Tool
    Pink Floyd
    Megadeth
    Pantera
    Boston
    Brad
    U2
    Soundgarden
    The White Stripes
    NIN
    Nirvana
    Ramones
    Counting Crows
    RATM
    REM
    Talking Heads
    The Cure
    Guns N Roses
    Jimi Hendrix Experience
    RHCP
    Social D
    Temple of the Dog
    New Order
    Ministry
    AC/DC
    Faith No More
    The Killers
    Live

Good list
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Yes!
    "I Will Scream my Lungs out 'til it fills this Room "

" I Will Feel Alive as Long as I am Free"

"Are We Getting SomeThing Out Of this All Encompassing Trip? Makes Much More Sense To Live In The Present Tense"

www.myspace.com/ehoff12982
  • No, I find their lyrics laughably bad, and their music terrible.

In addition, they were awful live.

Hell, you asked. Expect some negative responses.

Bottom 40? Maybe.

9/17/95-New Orleans,LA 8/14/00-New Orleans,LA 4/8/03-New Orleans,LA 4/13/03-Tampa,FL 10/8/04-Kissimmee,FL 8/5/07-Chicago,IL 6/16/08-Columbia,SC 6/23/09-(EV Solo)Atlanta,GA 5/1/10-New Orleans,LA 9/21/12-Pensacola,FL 11/1/13-New Orleans,LA 4/11/16-Tampa,FL  4/23/16-New Orleans,LA

• Wow...

Brandon's lyrics are one the many things I love about Incubus.

Not to sound cliché, but this band has helped my through some rough times...that's the magic about music...it can really do wonders.

And they were amazing when I experienced them live.

Eh, to each his own I guess. I'm just surprised how much this band is getting bashed in this thread.

You may not like their music, but you can't deny their talent.

We're not talking about Creed or Nickelback here, folks...it's Incubus.
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    I've encountered a lot hate for Incubus, be it on here or elsewhere. If you don't like a band, then fair enough, but a lot of the hate directed towards Incubus tends to be very aggressive, and i've never understood why. If you don't like the music, fair enough. If you don't like the lyrics, fair enough. If you don't like Brandon's voice or the fact that he is a bit of a poser, fair enough. But just because you don't like a band doesn't mean that they're crap. This applies to all bands, not just the one i'm talking about, and it's something that has always annoyed me. People say that bands are rubbish because they are not to their tastes...I simply say I don't like them, or don't comment at all, and like someone else tried to get across earlier, it's nice to have a reason that a band is "crap" in someone's opinion.

This isn't a dig at people here, just something that annoys me in general.

As for Incubus being crap live, i've seen them four times, and they've been great every time. I think that if you go to see a band you don't like, then you're often going to think that they are crap live. But, it could simply be that on the occasion the non fans have seen them, they've simply been bad. But I doubt it.

Would they be in my top 40 bands? Yes, without a doubt. I really like them as a band, and while Brandon's lyrics are a little strange sometimes, I mostly like them too. Musically I think they are fantastic, but this tends to be something no one really notices. A Crow Left Of The Murder and Light Grenades both show what great musicians the band are.

One thing that always make me laugh about the amount of hate they get here is that their evolution as a band is similar to that of Pearl Jam. Both bands have a lot of fans that rave about their earliest work, and then dismiss all their later work. That's fine, but a lot of people do this without actually having listened to much, if any, of the later work. When PJ fans do it, it annoys me, as if someone did this in regards to PJ, they would be really annoyed about it. Like PJ, they evolve with every album, which I think is great. But you always get people who want a repeat of the same formula. The people who moan about PJ not sounding like Ten and Vs anymore, it's the same thing when people moan about the new Incubus album not sounding like Science. Science came out in 1997, I think, and it's all I can do not to laugh at people like that. What kind of talentless, stagnant band would try to produce another album that sounded like their successful album of TEN YEARS AGO?

Anyway. Sorry to make generalisations, but this is something that annoys me.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • stu geestu gee Posts: 1,174
    Strange question but im sure i could find 40 bands i like more than Incubus so no. I dont mind them but there is a lot of stuff out there that i prefer.
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    audiodave wrote:
    I've encountered a lot hate for Incubus, be it on here or elsewhere. If you don't like a band, then fair enough, but a lot of the hate directed towards Incubus tends to be very aggressive, and i've never understood why. If you don't like the music, fair enough. If you don't like the lyrics, fair enough. If you don't like Brandon's voice or the fact that he is a bit of a poser, fair enough. But just because you don't like a band doesn't mean that they're crap. This applies to all bands, not just the one i'm talking about, and it's something that has always annoyed me. People say that bands are rubbish because they are not to their tastes...I simply say I don't like them, or don't comment at all, and like someone else tried to get across earlier, it's nice to have a reason that a band is "crap" in someone's opinion.

As for Incubus being crap live, i've seen them four times, and they've been great every time. I think that if you go to see a band you don't like, then you're often going to think that they are crap live. But, it could simply be that on the occasion the non fans have seen them, they've simply been bad. But I doubt it.

Would they be in my top 40 bands? Yes, without a doubt. I really like them as a band, and while Brandon's lyrics are a little strange sometimes, I mostly like them too. Musically I think they are fantastic, but this tends to be something no one really notices. A Crow Left Of The Murder and Light Grenades both show what great musicians the band are.

One thing that always make me laugh about the amount of hate they get here is that their evolution as a band is similar to that of Pearl Jam. Both bands have a lot of fans that rave about their earliest work, and then dismiss all their later work. That's fine, but a lot of people do this without actually having listened to much, if any, of the later work. When PJ fans do it, it annoys me, as if someone did this in regards to PJ, they would be really annoyed about it. Like PJ, they evolve with every album, which I think is great. But you always get people who want a repeat of the same formula. The people who moan about PJ not sounding like Ten and Vs anymore, it's the same thing when people moan about the new Incubus album not sounding like Science. Science came out in 1997, I think, and it's all I can do not to laugh at people like that. What kind of talentless, stagnant band would try to produce another album that sounded like their successful album of TEN YEARS AGO?

Outstanding post. I get incredibly annoyed at what people get away with on this board. It is indicative of a society that rarely if ever asks its members to think critically about anything. Then, when I call them on the fact that they are making unintelligent comments, I am essentially labeled as a cry-baby who can't stand people criticizing bands I like. I am completely cool with people having different tastes. The very nature of this thread called for many to say Incubus is not a band they care for. That too is fine. Just have a reason for it.

As for your take on Incubus, I agree with much of it. I have seen them live four times, and they have always been incredible. Their Bridge School performances may be the most telling of all. They blew the crowd away, and in the papers, it was their performances that were most praised.

I also completely agree with your comparing them to Pearl Jam. I have expressed a similar opinion on this board before. Because they refuse to remain stagnant, both Incubus and Pearl Jam continue to be relevant to me, years after I first heard them. Unfortunately, as you point out, many seem to like their favorite bands to make the same album over and over again. I thought Crow Left of the Murder was a progression from Morning View. Light Grenades I am not as fond of, but every band has its inferior albums.

Also, completely agree about the band's musicanship. Jose Pasillas is one of the best drummers I have ever seen. Mike is an incredibly creative guitar player. I actually prefer Ben's bass playing to Dirk's. The drum/percussion bit they were doing in the middle of Vitamin on the Crow Left of the Murder tour is one of the most amazing live performances I have seen.

Again, great post!
  • If they had just released Science, maybe. But after their last album, definitely not.
    audiodave wrote:

So you have never once referred to a band you dont like as just crap or rubbish?
    People say im paranoid. Well, they dont say it, but i know that's what they are thinking.
  • For those of you that went to see them live... depending on which tour you went to... SSLW was amazing live... yeah? And if you went to the ACLOTM tour, you were blown away how cooler the jam was than on CD... well if you also went to the LG tour, you would notice that the song got even better! Seriously, they had both bass jam and guitar jam, then the really fast paced chorus jam back into the song... I loved the LG tour more than the ACLOTM tour mainly because they seemed more at ease with each other... like they were actually more of a band now, extremely cohesive and just so much fun to watch on stage, especially Ben.

You guys heard Ben Kenney's solo work? Amazing stuff... he has two CDs with a third coming out soon... the two are called "26" and "Maduro", respective to chronological order.
  • Great post, audiodave.
    If i think a band is crap or rubbish ill say it without feeling the need to always explain in detail exactly why i think this way! If people get upset with that then they shouldnt as its just my opinon, just as i couldnt really care if someone describes a band i listen to as just simply crap. I doubt if there is anyone on here who hasnt heard a song and gone, 'jesus that is shite', and not explained the ins and outs of why they think its shite lol
    stu gee wrote:
    So you have never once referred to a band you dont like as just crap or rubbish?

I'm sure I have at some point, but I try not to. What I was trying to say is, you have the right to think something is crap, but that doesn't mean it IS crap.

Music is completely subjective and that's what is so great about it. But it annoys me when people completely dismiss something just becuase they don't like it. There are a LOT of bands that people on these boards rave about that aren't to my tastes, but I don't go around saying they're crap...just that I don't like them.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

audiodave wrote:
    I'm sure I have at some point, but I try not to. What I was trying to say is, you have the right to think something is crap, but that doesn't mean it IS crap.

Music is completely subjective and that's what is so great about it. But it annoys me when people completely dismiss something just becuase they don't like it. There are a LOT of bands that people on these boards rave about that aren't to my tastes, but I don't go around saying they're crap...just that I don't like them.

Of course it doesnt mean it IS crap to everyone, but its crap to the person who says its crap, so they will be quite entitled to call it crap surely!! lol

I wouldnt take what anyone says negatively about a band i like too seriously to be honest. If they think its crap then fair enough, ill still like them.
    stu gee wrote:
    Of course it doesnt mean it IS crap to everyone, but its crap to the person who says its crap, so they will be quite entitled to call it crap surely!! lol

I wouldnt take what anyone says negatively about a band i like too seriously to be honest. If they think its crap then fair enough, ill still like them.

I don't let what anyone thinks affect my opinion of a band either, but there are people out there who are very affected by other people's opinions.
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

• mammasanmammasan Posts: 5,656
    Definitely one of my top 40 bands. I have seen them live a few times and they always come through. They may not be as musically or lyrically talented as, say Pearl Jam, but they are still a great band.
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul
  • i would consider them to be top 20 easy.
    -bassist Ben Kenney is one of the most underrated musicians around.
    -the drummer is unbelievable, and i love the fact that he is not technical at all..he does his own thing, yet he still manages to keep the song together
    -the guitarist is very experimental and unique
    -brandon boyd has some pipes

i love their songwriting and they are definitely a band that is better in concert..alot like pearl jam
    i'll trade you my tee shirt for a grilled cheese