Would Incubus be

JellyrollsJellyrolls Posts: 523
edited September 2007 in Other Music
in your top 40 favorite bands of all time? Why or why not?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• WOW, LOTS of incubus threads these days.

ive seen em 4 times, so yes definately they would be in my top 40 bands of all time. probably wouldnt make top 30 cut, but they would have a space for a top 40.
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • Jellyrolls wrote:
    in your top 40 favorite bands of all time? Why or why not?

no, because i cannot stand their sound, their melodies, or their lyrics...
    I'll dig a tunnel
    from my window to yours
  • LukinFanLukinFan Posts: 29,040
    no, because i cannot stand their sound, their melodies, or their lyrics...
    Good band, but a lot of their stuff sounds the same
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • They're in my top 5 or 6. I enjoy almost all of their catalogue, although Light Grenades was a huge letdown. Science, Make Yourself, Morning View, and A Crow Left of the Murder are all solid albums to say the least. I'd put Morning View in my top 10 of the decade at this point. Incubus has also become a much, much better live band.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • No, cant stand anything by them besides the song Dig, hate all their other stuff.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • no they wouldn't make my top 40. but they're ok but i can easily think of 40 other bands that are better
    Oh dear dad
    Can you see me now
    I am myself
    Like you somehow
    I'll ride the wave
    Where it takes me
    I'll hold the pain
    Release me
  • No, b/c I can name at least 40 bands I like more.

Not that they are bad. They can make decent albums, not over the top great though, imo.
  • boroff89 wrote:
    They're in my top 5 or 6. I enjoy almost all of their catalogue, although Light Grenades was a huge letdown. Science, Make Yourself, Morning View, and A Crow Left of the Murder are all solid albums to say the least. I'd put Morning View in my top 10 of the decade at this point. Incubus has also become a much, much better live band.
    \

Morning View contains one of the worst lyrics ever, Wish You Were Here, pretty well the whole song is very cliche predictable Incubus type stuff.
  • smarcheesmarchee Posts: 14,539
    No because they have never really affected me enough to be classified as in my top 40. They may be in my top 100 though, but I would have to seriously meditate on that list, and it could take a while. My favourite album is Make Yourself, and my enjoyment/attachment to their release since has declined percipitously (sp?)
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    \

Morning View contains one of the worst lyrics ever, Wish You Were Here, pretty well the whole song is very cliche predictable Incubus type stuff.

Couldn't disagree more. Wish You Were Here is one of my favorite songs by any band. I don't see any cliches at all. I see incredibly beautiful lyrics. And I have a B.A. in English, taught high school English for a number of years, and did a "Song Lyrics as Poetry" unit every year with my juniors. This was one of the songs I would often use. I am curious which lyrics from the song you find cliche?
  • smarchee wrote:
    and my enjoyment/attachment to their release since has declined percipitously (sp?)

me too
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • They're my number one.
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • They're my number one.

ditto.
  • I would put SCIENCE high up in best albums ever rankings. But the band as a whole, I think they have been gradually breaking down record for record. They're so mainstream now it hurts when thinking of their early days. They lost their edge. SCIENCE, great, Make Yourself, pretty good, Morning View, 4 good tracks, CLOM, 3-4 good tracks. Light Grenades - boring.

Top 40 of bands? Perhaps. But if so barely.

Peace
    Dan
    "YOU [humans] NEED TO BELIEVE IN THINGS THAT AREN'T TRUE. HOW ELSE CAN THEY BECOME?" - Death

"Every judgment teeters on the brink of error. To claim absolute knowledge is to become monstrous. Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty." - Frank Herbert, Dune, 1965
  • JulienJulien Posts: 2,457
    yes, they'll b in my top 40 for sure, maybe even n my top 20.
    They've released some really great stuff...
    2006: Antwerp, Paris
    2007: Copenhagen, Werchter
    2009: Rotterdam, London
    2010: MSG, Arras, Werchter
    2012: Amsterdam, Prague, Berlin
    2014: Amsterdam, Stockholm
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    I have always HATED Incubus. nothing about them appeals to me. my girlfriend use to go see them up in Scranton back in the day when their singer had a beard and dreds. hated them then too.
  • You could have said 400 and they would still be on the outside looking in. How so many people have been fooled into what constitutes talent and good songwriting is beyond me.
  • audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    You could have said 400 and they would still be on the outside looking in. How so many people have been fooled into what constitutes talent and good songwriting is beyond me.
    Opinions are wonderful things...
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • Yeah, they'd be in my top 40, although seeing live at Birmingham last week was a disappointment. Very lacklustre performance.
  • You could have said 400 and they would still be on the outside looking in. How so many people have been fooled into what constitutes talent and good songwriting is beyond me.

Isn't wonderful how many people have converted their opinions into the one "right answer?" I for one am quite glad to have so many people around with so much more knowledge and wisdom than I have to make sure I am listening to the "right" music. Sarcasm off. Seriously, get a clue.
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    You could have said 400 and they would still be on the outside looking in. How so many people have been fooled into what constitutes talent and good songwriting is beyond me.
    i'm with ya on that one!
  • boroff89 wrote:
    Couldn't disagree more. Wish You Were Here is one of my favorite songs by any band. I don't see any cliches at all. I see incredibly beautiful lyrics. And I have a B.A. in English, taught high school English for a number of years, and did a "Song Lyrics as Poetry" unit every year with my juniors. This was one of the songs I would often use. I am curious which lyrics from the song you find cliche?

I just think itsa pretty safe song. Hardly and lyrics at all. I dunno how you count this, but there are pretty much only 5 or 6 different lines in the song. Not really genius songwriting. The songs decent, but its also painfully cheesy with the ocean and outer space talk. I know they may be interested in that stuff, but there are better ways to bring that across, imo

"The sky resembles a backlit canopy, with holes punched in it."

I just think a good piece of songwriting would find a better way to describe the sky, something more poetic maybe?
  • no.

for the sheer fact that they blow.
  • boroff89 wrote:
    Isn't wonderful how many people have converted their opinions into the one "right answer?" I for one am quite glad to have so many people around with so much more knowledge and wisdom than I have to make sure I am listening to the "right" music. Sarcasm off. Seriously, get a clue.

A question was asked and I answered it. I didn't say anyone was an idiot or anything if they liked them. Obviously it's my opinion and I respect the fact that others will differ with theirs.

If everyone loved the same shit the world would be a boring place.
  • Oh, Jimmy wrote:
    I just think itsa pretty safe song. Hardly and lyrics at all. I dunno how you count this, but there are pretty much only 5 or 6 different lines in the song. Not really genius songwriting. The songs decent, but its also painfully cheesy with the ocean and outer space talk. I know they may be interested in that stuff, but there are better ways to bring that across, imo

"The sky resembles a backlit canopy, with holes punched in it."

I just think a good piece of songwriting would find a better way to describe the sky, something more poetic maybe?

Ocean and space oriented lyrics are cheesy? The song's about someone in a truly beautiful place (nighttime at the ocean), wishing someone special was there to share it with him. I actually love the comparison of a nighttime sky to a canopy with holes punched in it, as do I love the comparsion of the ocean to diamonds strewn across a blue blanket. For me, they work. They speak to me. I think Brandon Boyd is a fairly talented songwriter. Others have made it clear that they disagee, which is fine.

By the way, thank you for actually taking the time to cite lyrics you don't like and presenting some kind of supported argument. That may be the first time I have ever seen that happen on this board.
  • A question was asked and I answered it. I didn't say anyone was an idiot or anything if they liked them. Obviously it's my opinion and I respect the fact that others will differ with theirs.

If everyone loved the same shit the world would be a boring place.

When you say,"How so many people have been fooled into what constitutes talent and good songwriting is beyond me," am I to interpet that in a way other than you think I have been fooled and am not capable of assessing what good songwriting is? If you don't care for their songwriting, cool deal. Just say so.
  • boroff89 wrote:
    Ocean and space oriented lyrics are cheesy? The song's about someone in a truly beautiful place (nighttime at the ocean), wishing someone special was there to share it with him. I actually love the comparison of a nighttime sky to a canopy with holes punched in it, as do I love the comparsion of the ocean to diamonds strewn across a blue blanket. For me, they work. They speak to me. I think Brandon Boyd is a fairly talented songwriter. Others have made it clear that they disagee, which is fine.

By the way, thank you for actually taking the time to cite lyrics you don't like and presenting some kind of supported argument. That may be the first time I have ever seen that happen on this board.

I usually try to give some sorta explanation. Sometime I get lazy.

Incubus has always kinda been my friends' band, and it would annoy the shit outta me how much they played them, and I was a bit of a snob towards MTV, VH1, and radio, so Drive really pissed me off. Then Morning View I thought they took the parts that the fans bought and really tried to sell that album, instead of just makin muscic and I dunno if they ever recovered from that in my eyes.
  • Alright... so I realized why I didn't put "why"... seeing as they're my number one, I must do so.

So... I'm just going to start off saying that they evolve each album.. the break down:

"Fungus Amongus/Enjoy Incubus" - If you count this as their first album, then alright... it's funky... you see their early roots and you can definitely see that they have talent for what? 15 year olds? Hah. Damn. Sure, the lyrics really don't have any meaning, most of the basslines are samey, and the guitarring is the same, but it's just Incubus in its complete raw state.

"S.C.I.E.N.C.E." - Their heaviest recording to date. This is where Incubus started (to me)... I mean, the lyrics are fucking awesome, the music sounds different from track to track... it seems like this band had already been playing for years (which, they actually had been), but for a first "official" album, yeah, amazing. For me... the jazz feel on Summer Romance (Anti-Gravity Love Song) just does it all. Also, when they go back and re-invent their songs while on tour... like the Redefine (acousta-remix) we had just gotten on this LG tour... damn, that was awesome.

"Make Yourself" - Their best record to date. Yes, it has all the hits... Drive, Stellar, Pardon Me, I Miss You (was a single.. but not that pop), but... no matter how many times I had heard these on the radio, when I had gotten the CD in early 2001... I was blown away. Even though I heard Drive over and over again, I loved it even more on the album... but what had first hit me really hard... "The Warmth"... the whales + the guitarring at the begin just makes it so amazing. Gives you this eerie overwhelming feel that the song will be so good... and it lives up to it with some extra on the side... and now when it's performed live with Ben Kenney... he fucking tears that ending bass part up, so awesome.

"Morning View" - Then they took a new direction... they went... poetic? When I had first heard their single from Morning View, "Wish You Were Here"... I was like, ehhh, this is alright... sure, "Wish You Were Here" isn't what you'd think it was... a rip off of Pink Floyd... but lyrically, it's fun and rhyming. The song itself, meh, could definitely be better... but apart from that... the CD starts out blasting your speakers... Nice To Know You is rocking... you then get into "Just a Phase", "11AM" (one of my other favorite Incubus songs), "Under My Umbrella", and a great closer, "Aqueous Transmission"... it was hard at times, and completely whiney/girly at the other times. They strayed in a direction that was musically better, but not lyrically better... even though the lyrics were very nicely done, just not as good as Make Yourself. However, this was the point that Brandon's voice started getting a little higher... but it didn't get really great until....

"A Crow Left of the Murder..." - This CD is great. It's fun, extremely experimental, very diverse, and just lyrically weird... the lyrics seem like they could be political (which I thought at first), but I think it just has two meanings... one that could be political, and the other would just a completely different interpretation... which adds to how the album is experimental... despite the fact that the guitarring (both el guitar and bass guitar) are wicked as all hell... I mean, you go from a rock song "Megalomaniac" to "ACLOTM" which is like a punk song... also, "Priceless" is very fast paced with an awesome guitar solo, plus, the song has so much energy when performed live. Sure, of course you get the slower songs... but that's Incubus... they make slow songs + rock songs on all their albums (that's the only thing that's constant in this band)... and if they change that, I don't think their albums would be as awesome as they are... which brings us to...

"Light Grenades" - When the "Anna Molly" single leaked all over the Incubus forums... I remember listening to it way back in August for one hour straight one night... a single, listening to it for one hour straight, haha... only Incubus. But the song just never got old. Then the 30 second clips came out... I listened to those non-stop... these songs just started sounding amazing... then the album leaked and I listened to that like once a day. The album really never got boring, mainly because it flowed very well... I love how the "Earth to Bella"s separate the CD and end the CD... it's great! Plus... "Oil and Water" is on the album... which might be my favorite Incubus song of all time. I finally gave the album a break, and started picking up their older stuff... which is where I finally found out that ACLOTM is so fucking good. I was rating LG as their 2nd best at this point, but then ACLOTM reminded me that it still held that 2nd place position... so LG went to third, then I listened to Morning View... and I realized that was really good too... the problem was... I was in a different mood each time I listened to one of their CDs to say that it was "better" than the other...

That's why I love Incubus. They have an album that I can listen to, in almost any mood... depressed, angry, happy, whatev. I mean, no matter what, Make Yourself will most likely always be my number one... but to the relative time, it could be another one of their albums that I'm listening to a lot more... doesn't mean Make Yourself is bumped, just, yeah, the mood I'm in. I didn't even go over their amazing B-Sides... "Crowded Elevator, Monuments & Melodies, Pantomime, The Odyssey (made for Halo 2 soundtrack), Look Alive, Punch Drunk"... damn, yeah. This band just is so good... when they play live, they just seem to have so much fun and cohesion. Ben Kenney fits in with the guys like he's been there the whole time... they just seem to be doing what they love, which makes their music seem even more better/genuine. At least, this is all relative to me. So why did I waste 20 minutes typing this all up? Incubus helped me through the hardest part of my life... which is why I owe them this defense/explanation.
    If I could, think I would give in.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    no they wouldn't. why? cause i don't listen to them. why? cause they just don't do it for me. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • boroff89 wrote:
    When you say,"How so many people have been fooled into what constitutes talent and good songwriting is beyond me," am I to interpet that in a way other than you think I have been fooled and am not capable of assessing what good songwriting is? If you don't care for their songwriting, cool deal. Just say so.

Why cant you deal with somebody bashing others for listening to a band? Why dont you go sit in the corner and cry yourself a river.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson