Options

Matt Good Acoustic Tour!

13»

Comments

• Options
    MCGMCG Posts: 780
    Echoes wrote:
    He stole the anti-climax in born to kill straight out of Talk Talk's Laughing Stock.

I'm okay with that.

I didn't know that... certainly doesn't make it any less cool.
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    MCG wrote:
    I didn't know that... certainly doesn't make it any less cool.

not at all. Matt is a self-professed HUGE Talk Talk fan (with good reason, they have two fantastic albums). Listen to "Ascension Day" and see if you notice the similar climax.
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    rockpantsrockpants BC Posts: 838
    Echoes wrote:
    not at all. Matt is a self-professed HUGE Talk Talk fan (with good reason, they have two fantastic albums). Listen to "Ascension Day" and see if you notice the similar climax.

Talk Talk has 3.7 fantastic albums.

;)

Make that 4.2 if you count Missing Pieces.
  • Options
    I've only really listened o the last two, and they are very very awesome. The first two albums I am pretty much indifferent to (too 80's poppy), and I haven't heard The Colour Of Spring yet.
  • Options
    Echoes wrote:
    I've only really listened o the last two, and they are very very awesome. The first two albums I am pretty much indifferent to (too 80's poppy), and I haven't heard The Colour Of Spring yet.

The Colour of Spring is where you can hear the seeds for Spirit of Eden (which I've only heard 1 or 2 songs from) and Laughing Stock. At least, that's what I figure.
    Missing Pieces is a few outtakes from LS and a much shorter, somewhat more industrial After the Flood. Myrrhman and Ascension Day are also on it but I've not had MP long enough to tell if there are any significant differences from LS. I got my copy of Missing Pieces from Scratch Records, so if you're looking for it, they may have another copy.
    I'll be getting SoE when I get my tax return back.
  • Options
    I usually frequent Zulu more than Scratch. Better used section, although sometimes Scratch has the better prices. I haven't been there in ages, though.
  • Options
    Echoes wrote:

I've never heard of the 'Talk Talk' band of which you speak. Sounds like I will have to check them out.
    Which came first,
  • Options
    BUMP

Matt Good is awesome.
    Which came first,
  • Options
    I don't have the order, but here are the songs he played last night.

From WLRRR:
    Empty Road
    Hopeless
    Alert Status Red

From Avalanche:
    Avalanche
    In a World Called Catastrophe

From The Audio of Being:
    Tripoli
    Sort of A Protest Song

From Beautiful Midnight:
    Strange Days
    Load Me Up

From Underdogs:
    Apparitions
    Prime Time Deliverance
    Indestructible

From Last of the Ghetto Astronauts:
    Symbolistic White Walls

Others/New:
    The Boy Come Home
    Breath of a Nation
    She's in it For the Money (led into SOAPS)
    Hurt (cover w/ Melissa McClelland, the opener)

Simply phenomenal. He's still a bit haggard ... when he spoke he sounded a bit under the weather, but there where no cracks when he sang.
    I was a bundle of nerves throughout the whole show, my heart rate was elevated & didn't drop once. I haven't felt that way at a show in a long time. He took the stage at about quarter to 9 and finished the encore at 11.
    Melissa was great and a joy to watch. Everyone should hear her song, "Go Down Matthew". You can do that here: http://www.myspace.com/melissamcclelland
  • Options
    That's crazy he played an acoustic 'Symbolistic White Walls', how did it sound? Hearing 'Avalanche' in its entirety was certainly a treat at the show I saw, it certainly gave me the chills.
    Which came first,
  • Options
    MCG wrote:
    That's crazy he played an acoustic 'Symbolistic White Walls', how did it sound? Hearing 'Avalanche' in its entirety was certainly a treat at the show I saw, it certainly gave me the chills.

It made me feel like I was 13 again. :p It worked really well.
    Load Me Up was another one that stood out.

I have some pictures (and a really lengthy ramble/review, which you can read at your own risk) at my blog: http://meegeetoldmeto.blogspot.com
  • Options
    rockpants wrote:
    It made me feel like I was 13 again. :p It worked really well.
    Load Me Up was another one that stood out.

I have some pictures (and a really lengthy ramble/review, which you can read at your own risk) at my blog: http://meegeetoldmeto.blogspot.com

An enjoyable rambling review :). I'm glad you had such an awesome Matt Good experience, he is truly inspiring on stage and pretty funny too.
    Which came first,
  • Options
    I think I am forgetting a couple of songs ... Fine Art (etc.) and Can't Get Shot (etc.)

I think? I remember the latter was definitely played, but my mind is playing tricks on me, I'm not sure if he played FAoFA or if I'm just imagining things. :p
  • Options
    Man, after to clicking a few links, you're from Chilliwack? Ouch!

Also I'm glad you enjoyed the show, I wish I had tickets, but I ended up opening for some other bands that night anyways
  • Options
    blah blah edit blah
  • Options
    Echoes wrote:
    Man, after to clicking a few links, you're from Chilliwack? Ouch!

Also I'm glad you enjoyed the show, I wish I had tickets, but I ended up opening for some other bands that night anyways

What's wrong with Chilliwack? Beside the mad cow and avian flu, that is. And the smell. And the hyperzealous religious bigots.

I was just lurking at an MG fansite board and here's the setlist as typed out by someone else (in order). Yes, he did play FAoFA and I think I missed Gen-X Wing, too. Whoops.

Avalanche
    Tripoli
    X-Wing
    So Long Mrs. Smith
    Breath of a Nation
    *PoCo Girls* he played it as a dare
    IAWCC
    Hopeless
    She's in it For The Money/ SOAPS
    Can't Get Shot in the Back
    *chatted about other career aspirations* (sex tape)
    Strange Days
    Fated
    Life Beyond..
    Prime Time Deliverance
    Load me up
    Apparitions

*encore*
    Hurt
    Fine Art
    Alert Status Red
    The Boy Come Home
    Empty Road
    Indestructible
    Symbolistic White Walls
  • Options
    Double post and it ain't letting me edit.
    Bah.
  • Options
    Not to mention the air around that place - Sorry we keep sending you all our shit. And the fact that your local music scene is probably zero. My grandparents live out there, however.

Great great setlist, though
  • Options
    Echoes wrote:
    And the fact that your local music scene is probably zero.

cue the O RLY owl ... :p

It's mostly punk/hardcore. Lots of hardcore kids out here. My friend's band, called New World on Fire (they play Vancouver every so often, you might see their name on a poster every now and then) are the epicentre of it. We recently had a show with NWoF, Nomeansno, Removal and our own The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets. The Evaporators were out awhile ago, and DOA's been here twice within the last year. Reason is, we have a lot of young people out here who appreciate these bands, the shows usually see a turnout of anywhere from 30 to 75 people, which isn't too bad given the size of the venues, lack of public transportation, and the youth population.
    NWoF runs their own label (Kill the Resistor) and through networking, they've gone on 3 tours, gigging with bands like Protest the Hero.
    A lot of bands come on the KTR website wanting to play shows in Chilliwack.

So there. :p I will give you that the scene is fairly one dimensional. It used to be more diverse when I was in my teens.
  • Options
    DieasGreyDieasGrey Posts: 124
    He needs to hang it up.
    No one is Righteous.......
  • Options
    DieasGrey wrote:
    He needs to hang it up.

Why, exactly?
  • Options
    Well I guess now I am a little more acquainted with the scene in Chilliwack, hehehe. I probably should have gathered that it would have had some kind of hardcore scene, since I imagine Langley (my hometown) has something similar.

Also, why should he hang it up now?
  • Options
    DieasGrey wrote:
    He needs to hang it up.

I do hereby declare that you are a fool.
    Which came first,
  • Options
    DieasGrey wrote:
    He needs to hang it up.

You are entitled to your own opinion... but if you have something more creative & artistic to share... by all means... let us sample it.