Suburbia
    Born To Kill
    Tripoli
    Man Of Action
    Avalanche
    Near Fantastica
    While We Were Hunting Rabbits
    Poor Man's Grey

or something to that effect. Maybe include "The Fine Art Of Falling Apart" or "Fated" if you want something off of Loser Anthemsor Lo-fi Bsides
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    MCGMCG Posts: 780
    good list, I may need to add a couple off the Raygun EP though... nevermind, a second glance shows they are already on there. Perhaps Flashdance II...
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • Options
    Fuckin rights! The Saskatoon show is tomorrow! Anybody seen a show on the tour so far? I'd love a review to get me even more pumped.
    Which came first,
  • Options
    rockpantsrockpants BC Posts: 838
    Reviews are nothing but glowing. I have to wait another 27 days until my gig! This is driving me nuts! He and Melissa covered NIN's Hurt, Cash style! FATED!
    I just know these next few weeks are going to drag on endlessly, but it'll be worth it in the end.
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    oh fuck I must find a ticket to this SO HARD
  • Options
    WOW! What a fucking awesome performance. I didn't even think I could be so entertained by just a man and his guitar. Very moving set and a 5 song encore. Toon town sold out and it was just a great atmosphere all together (apart from the drunk girl and geeky guy 4 people away who where falling over, making rediculous gestures, trying to push their way to the front, and contantly screaming during an acoustic set, I hope they threw up on the car ride home). I would have paid double the ticket price, just fantastic!
    Which came first,
  • Options
    MCG wrote:
    WOW! What a fucking awesome performance. I didn't even think I could be so entertained by just a man and his guitar. Very moving set and a 5 song encore. Toon town sold out and it was just a great atmosphere all together (apart from the drunk girl and geeky guy 4 people away who where falling over, making rediculous gestures, trying to push their way to the front, and contantly screaming during an acoustic set, I hope they threw up on the car ride home). I would have paid double the ticket price, just fantastic!

Judging from the pictures I've seen, he looks rather dapper ... sport coat and white dress shirt, and I think I saw a tie.

I may bust out my old bowtie from band class for my gig. ;)
  • Options
    Last night's show was cancelled and it seems tonight and future gigs are up in the air. Matthew loaded himself onto a stretcher and was carted off during soundcheck in Kingston and his email contact has an auto-reply function enabled. Apparently he's been not too well the last few gigs and it finally caught up with him, from what I can tell. :( Hopefully it's nothing too serious, but that he was able to get himself onto the stretcher is a good sign.
  • Options
    murph83murph83 Posts: 122
    chris05 wrote:
    I love Matt Good, but no Newfoundland date.......what the fuck Matt??

Not really suprised though cause most people thinks Canada ends in Halifax.

yea, that really sucks. I would love to see him on this tour
  • Options
    rockpants wrote:
    Last night's show was cancelled and it seems tonight and future gigs are up in the air. Matthew loaded himself onto a stretcher and was carted off during soundcheck in Kingston and his email contact has an auto-reply function enabled. Apparently he's been not too well the last few gigs and it finally caught up with him, from what I can tell. :( Hopefully it's nothing too serious, but that he was able to get himself onto the stretcher is a good sign.

That is unfortunate news! He said he wasn't doing to well but he still put on a hell of a show. Hopefully his recovery will be quick.
    Which came first,
  • Options
    MaartenMaarten Posts: 12
    Matt Good, in my opinion, is one of the greatest artist today...
    I'm from Europe and I hear the only shows he ever played here took place years ago in very weird places (like Luxemburg... I mean, when you come to Europe and you want to play for more then 20 people you go to England, France, ...)

About his music: I love the records he made with the band, but when I discovered his early folky period I was blown away...
    Songs like A Better Pain, Casual Walks, Brand New Tune... MAN!
    Make it pain-painfully quick
    Want to be enlightened like I wanna be told the end...
  • Options
    Maarten wrote:
    Matt Good, in my opinion, is one of the greatest artist today...
    I'm from Europe and I hear the only shows he ever played here took place years ago in very weird places (like Luxemburg... I mean, when you come to Europe and you want to play for more then 20 people you go to England, France, ...)

About his music: I love the records he made with the band, but when I discovered his early folky period I was blown away...
    Songs like A Better Pain, Casual Walks, Brand New Tune... MAN!

I didn't know he had any fans overseas. He barely has any in the States! Good to hear.
    Which came first,
  • Options
    Well, I learned about his music when a friend told me about him.
    (So yes, there are MULTIPLE fans over here http://forums.pearljam.com/images/icons/icon12.gif
    Wink)
    This friend heard him when they gave 'Hello Timebomb' (Of course...) some airplay on a local radio station. That was years ago, I never heard any of his songs on the radio since.
  • Options
    What is your favorite record? Have you heard much of the solo stuff?
    Which came first,
  • Options
    I'd say 'Last of the Ghetto Astronauts' is my favorite record, although I really like Underdogs and Beautiful Midnight also, but I think this clean but still raw guitar sound on 'Last of the...' is amazing. Native Song, Vermillion, Fearless, Radio Bomb... I'll never grow tired of it. Also his lyrics are fantastic...

Out of his more recent work I REALLY like songs like 21st century living, poor man's grey, ... but I haven't heard too much of those recent records.

His early stuff... I tried to get a copy of some demo's but there is nothing to find over here... So I must admit I downloaded a lot of the early stuff.
    I've got most of the songs on the 4 demo's (15 hours..., Euphony, Left Of Normal, Broken)

These are limited editions, right? It's not like you can purchase them tomorrow in Canada if you want to?
  • Options
    Ya you can't buy it here either unfortunately. His new greatest hits 'deluxe' edition gives you a bunch of b-sides and acoustic reworkings though, very cool. It also comes with a sweet dvd of all the old videos and some other stuff.
    Which came first,
  • Options
    Yeah, In A Coma,

that friend I mentioned before went to canada last summer where he bought it, so I've seen the DVD and heard the stuff, really cool indeed.

Guess what, he went to canada without even knowing pearl jam was playing there while he was over there, and he was walking through this record store when suddenly his eyes fell upon this announcement pearl jam would be playing over there... I think it was Montreal but I'm not sure. So he came home and showed me the PJ ticket ànd In A Coma... I must admit that hurt :-) but I'm glad for him ofcourse

Have you seen Matt or PJ play?
  • Options
    I saw PJ just last Sept in Saskatoon during their Canada tour...very cool. I saw Matt Good about a week and a half ago during his solo acoustic tour in Saskatoon also...very cool. (Saskatoon is about 2.5 hours north of my hometown). If all goes to plan I should be seeing the RHCP there sometime soon as well. I hope you guys get some PJ dates over there soon! I feel for my brothers in Europe.

Pearl Jam was a great rock n' roll concert, quite possibly the best night of my life. I can't even sum it up in words.

The Matt Good show was just him and his acoustic guitar. It was a very powerful show, he played lots of favorites including "apparitions", "prime time deliverance", "avalanche" and "fated".
    Which came first,
  • Options
    Glad you made it to those shows!
    I guess Europe is just not as lucky as your region... Although we can't complain. I've seen RHCP twice. The first time was really dissapointing, Kiedis was kinda drunk I think and his voice was tired and his singing was just not good. This was at a festival (Rock Werchter)
    But I gave them a second chance, indoors this time, and it simply rocked. So I hope they're in a good shape when you're seeing them!

I'm hoping for PJ to play at one of our festivals over here. But this summer looks quite nice already, we finally get the chance to see Tool for example. But I'm just dying to see Matthew Good, PJ, Neil Young and Morrissey. I've made it to the Bob Dylan concert a few months ago, which was overwhelming :-)
  • Options
    I hope you enjoy Tool, I have not yet seen them live. Matt Good may require a trip to Canada. He rarely ventures outside Canada because he doesn't sell a lot of records anywhere else, especially since going solo.
    Which came first,
  • Options
    He should play 1 european gig, in the centre of the continent, for all his fans over here (maybe a few hundred?), that would be cool ;-) And he should bring all his records, we should buy everything hehe

probably you already know about these sites but as a european fan (he is almost never mentioned anywhere here) I really learned a lot about him and his work at the disorientation website (http://mattgood.imgarbage.com) and also mgtabarchive.com has been quite useful to me because I really enjoy playing some of his songs myself, mostly "simple" songs like native son. Matt has an incredible talent for rythm I think, listen to a better pain... his rythm strokes combined with the timing of the words are amazing.

I have to get some sleep. It's an intensive studying period right now so I have to get up early tomorrow. I'll check this thread again soon! It's nice talking to someone closer to Matt. People here don't know anything :-)
  • Options
    His talent for rythm is quite remarkable, and when you mix it with his songwriting you have, in my opinion, the most underated artist around. I've actually never seen that website, thank you for sharing. It's always nice talking with a Matt Good fan, if there was a really active MG forum, I'd be there as much as I am here :).
    Which came first,
  • Options
    Actually, there is a MG forum called 'The Double Life' (bound to that disorientation website), but it's not that active when you compare it to the PJ message pit.

http://mattgood.imgarbage.com/forum/index.php

I just woke up (way too late), and I'm still tired, but right now I'm listening to Load Me Up and it just gives me this drive :-) Canada is about ten to twelve hours from here I think so I guess it's about the middle of the night there right now, so have a good night!
  • Options
    hehe I was listening to Raygun and parts of Loser Anthems earlier. I love him so much
  • Options
    Echoes wrote:
    hehe I was listening to Raygun and parts of Loser Anthems earlier. I love him so much

Raygun is the best EP by anyone ever I think! What are your favorites on Loser Anthems?
    Which came first,
  • Options
    Fine Art Of Falling Arat/Flight Recorder From Viking 7/Flashdance II/Life Beyond The Minimum Safe Distance
  • Options
    Echoes wrote:
    Fine Art Of Falling Arat/Flight Recorder From Viking 7/Flashdance II/Life Beyond The Minimum Safe Distance

Hit the nail on the head! Hard to believe they were b-sides.
    Which came first,
  • Options
    CCF23CCF23 Posts: 11
    Some Matthew Good (Band) songs and why you have to download them:

Avalanche

My personal favourite Matthew Good song of all time. It builds and builds and builds. It feels epic. The orchestra, the beginning, Matt's voice, everything all meshes together to make this song perfect. This song is the best moment in Matthew's career, bar none. I don't want to give too much of it away. If you haven't heard it, download it. It's epic.

Born To Kill

The guitar riff to start the song off right away lets you know it's going to be good. Kind of low and brooding. Enter Matt's voice. The lyrics. Have I ever mentioned that I think Matthew is an underrated songwriter? Just when you think this whole song is going to be kind of quiet and dark...BAM, enter loud, kicking drums. Enter the building effect that works in so many MG songs. YOu can tell it's leading to something. BANG, solo...and a beautiful one at that. This song can't get any better right? WRONG. Orchestra, violins on top of a dark sounding, loud, music driven solo. This goes on for a minute or 2...Building, building, building. You feel there's something big coming. Climax...Nothing. The song pulls you in and lets you go...You end it wanting more, but in a good way. You'll play this song again, gaurnteed.

Oh Be Joyful

"Herrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre I goooooooooooo"
    I don't know why i'd reccomend this song. It is by no means "one of his best" lyrically, vocally, or musically yet I find i'm drawn to it. It's just one of those songs that works.
    "Oh be joyful, 'cause that shit spreads."

Hello Time Bomb

This song will give you a look into the "rock" side of Matthew. No frills or bullshit here. No orchestra, no pristine vocals. Just some nice, raw rock. This song will have your head bobbing.

Apparitions

The dinifinitive Matthew Good song. If you haven't heard this song you have't heard Matthew Good. This is the song that allowed any of us to even know who the hell this asshole from Coquitlam is. The video is the best video i've ever seen in my entire life. Watch it.

Tripoli (acoustic)

The first time I heard this song I didn't really apprieciate it. In fact, I never really "got" it until Matt released his greatest hits/acoustic record. I listened to it acoustically and it instantly became my 2nd favourite Matthew Good song. Not as epic as Avalance but way more chilling. His voice in this song is better than any other song, ever. One of the few songs that can phyiscally give me chills every time I listen to it.
    "Where has my head gone?
    Where do you hole up to mutilate the day away from me?"

Generation X-Wing (acoustic)

For no other reason than this part of the song:
    "Help me up
    Pair of wings
    Little road
    All those things
    She always said i'd find the cure for cancer I read my horoscope and I
    Just can't pull it off
    Alone."

Fated

Matthew and a Guitar. Beautiful song. The lyrics suggest to me that it is abous abortion. The chorus is among the best i've ever heard.

Prime Time Deliverance

Matthew's best "story telling" song. It's beautiful. It has honestly made me cry. Not many songs can do that. The ending is so powerful. His voice is again, perfect.

Blue Skies Over Bad Lands

This is another one of those long, 8 minute songs that make me love this man's music. The lyrics are awesome.
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing! I've been making it my mission to have as many people on the PJ board checking out MG as possible. So far it's slow going. Fuck, sometimes I forget what a cool video 'Apparitions' was. I mean, the song is great but the video was awesome, it told a story without being cheesy or overdramatic. Funny MG the janitor who does a good job looking sombre when he finds the dead body, the security guard who laughs at mat, the businessman/coke addict, the really rich old guy, the prostitute that hangs out with the really rich old guy and then kills him. It plays into the music so well too!
    Which came first,
  • Options
    He stole the anti-climax in born to kill straight out of Talk Talk's Laughing Stock.

I'm okay with that.