Options

Matt Good Acoustic Tour!

MCGMCG Posts: 780
edited April 2006 in Other Music
For those who don't know the Matt Good Acoustic Tour has been announced. I'll be in Saskatoon March 25th and it will kick some serious ass!
Which came first,
the bad idea or me befallen by it?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    hodgehodge Posts: 519
    i concur

..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
  • Options
    chris05chris05 Posts: 347
    I love Matt Good, but no Newfoundland date.......what the fuck Matt??

Not really suprised though cause most people thinks Canada ends in Halifax.
    Who cares if the world is going down the toilet? Eddie Vedder got his mojo back!
  • Options
    genevievegenevieve Posts: 1,203
    what pisses me off is that I only
    found out about it after it sold out.

grrrrrr...

What are the odds of scalpers... oh never mind.
    I ve never bought off a scalper and still wont.
    the person below me smells like cat pee and raisins...
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    I hope it isn't sold out in vancouver, it should be great.
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    rockpantsrockpants BC Posts: 838
    Echoes wrote:
    I hope it isn't sold out in vancouver, it should be great.

I think the Thursday show still has tickets, but the Friday and Saturday shows (I'll be at the latter), are long gone. The Cultch only holds about 350 people. Check things out on the HOB website, 'cause it'll tell you straight up if a show is sold out rather than going through the search crap on TM to have it tell you that no tickets matched the criteria ... why can't they just put a SOLD OUT marker next to the gig listing? Idiots.

Edit: Just checked HOB, and they've got all 3 Vancouver shows sold out. :(
  • Options
    Still tickets in Saskatoon, it's a Saturday show if you're up for the drive.
    Which came first,
  • Options
    rockpants wrote:
    I think the Thursday show still has tickets, but the Friday and Saturday shows (I'll be at the latter), are long gone. The Cultch only holds about 350 people. Check things out on the HOB website, 'cause it'll tell you straight up if a show is sold out rather than going through the search crap on TM to have it tell you that no tickets matched the criteria ... why can't they just put a SOLD OUT marker next to the gig listing? Idiots.

Edit: Just checked HOB, and they've got all 3 Vancouver shows sold out. :(

dang. If you hear of an extra ticket, let me know.
  • Options
    Anything to recommend by him?
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
  • Options
    Anything to recommend by him?

You can hear a handful of tunes by going to http://www.matthewgood.org and launching the audio player (found in the bottom right of your screen). A few of them are on my list.

Full album recommendation would be Avalanche (MG solo, released 2003).
    (My favourite songs on that record are Weapon*, While We Were Hunting Rabbits, Long Way Down, Near Fantastica, and Avalanche.)

Song recommendations from other albums ... (* means it was a single)

"Symbolistic White Walls"* from Last of the Ghetto Astronauts (1995, under the name Matthew Good Band)

"Apparitions"* and "Change of Season" from underdogs (1997, MGB)

"Suburbia," "Failing the Rorschach Test," and "Giant" from Beautiful Midnight (1999, MGB)

"Advertising on Police Cars," "The Workers Sing a Song of Mass Production" from The Audio of Being (2001, MGB)

"Empty Road," "Buffalo Seven," and "Poor Man's Grey" from White Light Rock'n'Roll Review (2004, solo MG)

You could always look into getting the 10-year retrospective GH, In A Coma, which came out this past fall. It's pretty much all the hit singles with a couple of new and/or previously unreleased tracks, as is standard on such comps. The deluxe edition comes with 2 cd's and a DVD with all his videos (which factored into his success during the mid-late 90's ... he's kinda gone the PJ-style, tone-it-down route with the solo career) and is a pretty good bargain - only ~$10 more than the single GH cd. Sorry for sounding like a street teamer, just passing on the info. :p

Hopefully you will like it. If not, thanks for your interest. There I go being Ms. Street Teamer again. Ah, well.
  • Options
    rockpants wrote:
    You can hear a handful of tunes by going to http://www.matthewgood.org and launching the audio player (found in the bottom right of your screen). A few of them are on my list.

Full album recommendation would be Avalanche (MG solo, released 2003).
    (My favourite songs on that record are Weapon*, While We Were Hunting Rabbits, Long Way Down, Near Fantastica, and Avalanche.)

Song recommendations from other albums ... (* means it was a single)

"Symbolistic White Walls"* from Last of the Ghetto Astronauts (1995, under the name Matthew Good Band)

"Apparitions"* and "Change of Season" from underdogs (1997, MGB)

"Suburbia," "Failing the Rorschach Test," and "Giant" from Beautiful Midnight (1999, MGB)

"Advertising on Police Cars," "The Workers Sing a Song of Mass Production" from The Audio of Being (2001, MGB)

"Empty Road," "Buffalo Seven," and "Poor Man's Grey" from White Light Rock'n'Roll Review (2004, solo MG)

You could always look into getting the 10-year retrospective GH, In A Coma, which came out this past fall. It's pretty much all the hit singles with a couple of new and/or previously unreleased tracks, as is standard on such comps. The deluxe edition comes with 2 cd's and a DVD with all his videos (which factored into his success during the mid-late 90's ... he's kinda gone the PJ-style, tone-it-down route with the solo career) and is a pretty good bargain - only ~$10 more than the single GH cd. Sorry for sounding like a street teamer, just passing on the info. :p

Hopefully you will like it. If not, thanks for your interest. There I go being Ms. Street Teamer again. Ah, well.

Damn, right on the money. I would add...

From Underdogs - "Look Happy, It's the end of the World" and "Middle-Class Gangsters"(which happens to be my namesake MCG= Middle-Class Gangsters)

From Audio of Being - "Anti-Pop"

and from The Raygun EP - "Raygun" and "Generation X-Wing"

I like everything Matt Good has put out! I don't see why there aren't more Matt Good fans on this board.
    Which came first,
  • Options
    MCG wrote:
    From Audio of Being - "Anti-Pop"

Nononononooooo

That is one of the worst songs on AoB! Well, it isn't worse than "I, The Throwaway," but still you can do way better than that for someone who has never listened to the MGB before!
  • Options
    Echoes wrote:
    Nononononooooo

That is one of the worst songs on AoB! Well, it isn't worse than "I, The Throwaway," but still you can do way better than that for someone who has never listened to the MGB before!

I like "Anti-Pop". I thought it would be a good song for someone who hasn't heard it before because it's got a catchy hook. I'll admit it is not very representative of the album though. I love the way that cd opens up with "Man of Action"... it just sounds so damn important, demands your attention.
    Which came first,
  • Options
    oh man you cannot possibly comprehend how much I love "Man Of Action." The first 4 songs on that album are just amazing.

Okay here is a question

Underdogs or Beautiful Midnight?
  • Options
    Echoes wrote:
    oh man you cannot possibly comprehend how much I love "Man Of Action." The first 4 songs on that album are just amazing.

Okay here is a question

Underdogs or Beautiful Midnight?

Well that is a tough question. Both are absolutely amazing albums! Beautiful Midnight showed a great deal of progress and had some extremely well written rock tunes and ballads. But I gots to go with Underdogs, its has a kind of defining moment feeling to it and a passion that is undeniable and so rare to find these days. Plus you get Apparitions, Prime Time Deliverance, Look Happy..., Change of Season, MCG's, and I guess I'd name almost any track on that one. Then there's Rico, everybodies 'fuck you' song to virtually anybody...

Questions:
    1. Your Underdogs vs Beautiful Midnight?
    2. Matthew Good Band vs Matt Good?
    Which came first,
  • Options
    hodgehodge Posts: 519
    beautiful midnight in a landslide

although i love 'prime time deliverance' and 'the inescapable us'
    ..and you will come to find that we are all one mind, capable of all that's imagined and all conceivable
  • Options
    'underdogs' wins for me as he doesn't sing "baby" on it once. He's been doing it a lot more since BM and it annoys me to no end. When he did it the one time on LOTGA, it seemed more a part of the attitude of the song as opposed to randomly adding 'baby' on the end of the line. So it sorta depends on context. Musically, though, BM is better by far.
  • Options
    The Raygun EP was the last thing I ever bought from Matt Good Band. It totally blew me away though. Anyone love that EP?
    Which came first,
  • Options
    So much love it isn't even funny. THe reason I am sad that I don't have tickets now is that I hear he will be playing "SO Long Mrs Smith" on this tour. Fuck.
  • Options
    lukin14lukin14 Posts: 287
    chris05 wrote:
    I love Matt Good, but no Newfoundland date.......what the fuck Matt??

Not really suprised though cause most people thinks Canada ends in Halifax.

buddy, most people think Canada ends in Montreal.. Halifax gets the shaft almost as much as St. John's.

no date on this acoustic tour for Halifax..
    life is the study of dyin'
    and how to do it right
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Options
    Echoes wrote:
    So much love it isn't even funny. THe reason I am sad that I don't have tickets now is that I hear he will be playing "SO Long Mrs Smith" on this tour. Fuck.

fuckin rights! so pumped for "so long Mrs. Smith"!
    Which came first,
  • Options
    So who's all going anyways? and to what shows? I'm gonna catch him in Saskatoon!
    Which came first,
  • Options
    Last Vancouver show, on the 22nd April. I should be nice and sugared from all my easter chocolate.
  • Options
    sold out before I could get my hands on it =/
  • Options
    rockpants wrote:
    Last Vancouver show, on the 22nd April. I should be nice and sugared from all my easter chocolate.

Nice! That will probably be one of the better shows of the whole tour if not the best. I wish he would just suck it up and come back to Regina all ready... the shoe throwing incident was like 8 years ago dammit!
    Which came first,
  • Options
    MCG wrote:
    Nice! That will probably be one of the better shows of the whole tour if not the best. I wish he would just suck it up and come back to Regina all ready... the shoe throwing incident was like 8 years ago dammit!

I'm pretty sure he's been there since.
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    MCG wrote:
    For those who don't know the Matt Good Acoustic Tour has been announced. I'll be in Saskatoon March 25th and it will kick some serious ass!

i'm going to the calgary show.

alone. :(

but i'm going. :D
  • Options
    exhausted wrote:
    i'm going to the calgary show.

alone. :(

but i'm going. :D

I was wondering if you got tickets before it sold out. Too bad your venue isn't as intimate as mine (unless they do the banquet hall set-up).

I'll be going alone, too. I like going to MG shows by myself, though. I have to wait a whole month after your gig 'til mine rolls around. Let me know how it goes.
  • Options
    exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    rockpants wrote:
    I was wondering if you got tickets before it sold out. Too bad your venue isn't as intimate as mine (unless they do the banquet hall set-up).

I'll be going alone, too. I like going to MG shows by myself, though. I have to wait a whole month after your gig 'til mine rolls around. Let me know how it goes.

cabaret seating as i understand. so circular tables in most of the room.

i'll just stand at the back some where.
  • Options
    rockpants wrote:
    I'm pretty sure he's been there since.

actually you're right, summer '03. But he was disapointed with the turnout and from what I've heard (rumours mostly) he's vowed never to return :(.
    Which came first,
  • Options
    My girlfriend wants me to make her a Matt Good/Matt Good Band cd. The problem is I made up a list of 38 songs! Can anyone help me narrow it down a bit, perhaps a 18 song essential tracklist?
    Which came first,