Least favorite popular 90s bands

reversedarwinismreversedarwinism Posts: 1,151
edited February 2008 in Other Music
I listen to the Sirus Lithium station fairly often. Best damn station I've ever heard. Good varitey staying in the area of "grunge and 90s alternative". Of the bands that get the most play, I cringe when I hear Offspring and Everclear. I never liked them. Useless, goofy music in a great period of time. They do play worse stuff sometimes (alanis), but not near as often. They are the bands I dislike the most from my favorite time in music.

so:

Offspring
Everclear
bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    I listen to the Sirus Lithium station fairly often. Best damn station I've ever heard. Good varitey staying in the area of "grunge and 90s alternative". Of the bands that get the most play, I cringe when I hear Offspring and Everclear. I never liked them. Useless, goofy music in a great period of time. They do play worse stuff sometimes (alanis), but not near as often. They are the bands I dislike the most from my favorite time in music.

so:

Offspring
    Everclear

I am with you on those two, both are absolutely dreadful. I would also like to add Cake to that list.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    Live
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
    Todd76 wrote:
    Live

At least you do have some taste, the first couple albums were alright but everything after is crap.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    At least you do have some taste, the first couple albums were alright but everything after is crap.

Make that the first couple albums were excellent and after that they were crap and I'd agree with you.
  • Todd76Todd76 Posts: 1,469
    gabers wrote:
    Make that the first couple albums were excellent and after that they were crap and I'd agree with you.

make that every album they have ever put out was absolute crap and I'd agree with you ;)
    In my world everyone is a pony,
    and they all eat rainbows and pooh butterflies!
  • tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    gabers wrote:
    That sounds about right.....
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    the Goo Goo Dolls - they had one song on the "Angus" film soundtrack that I thought was good - it had good energy... the only reason I got that soundtrack was for the Weezer song, but it turned out to be a decent compilation of that style of 90's rock. but everything else by that band was awful, and they got worse and worse (and more popular) as the decade progressed.
  • kenny olavkenny olav Posts: 3,319
    Fuel. some decent guitar playing... but...... blech.

still not as bad as today's standard rock music tho.
  • DMBPJ20DMBPJ20 Posts: 160
    Kenny Olav wrote:
    Fuel. some decent guitar playing... but...... blech.

still not as bad as today's standard rock music tho.

I think I will have to agree with all of that ... definitely not as bad, but I can only think of two songs that I liked.
    ...I just wanna scream hello...
    No L-O-I-T-E-R-I-N-G Alllloooowed.

I'll ride the wave, where it takes me.
    We could list so many late 90s bands that were total garbage

Our Lady Peace
    Vertical Horizon
    Bush
    Sugar Ray
    Marcy Playground
    Fastball
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• bovy_jbovy_j Posts: 1,008
    We could list so many late 90s bands that were total garbage

Our Lady Peace
    Vertical Horizon
    Bush
    Sugar Ray
    Marcy Playground
    Fastball

I am with you on all of those bands being horrible...except for Our Lady Peace. I love OLP! :)
  • I used to think that Bush was TOTAL crap but after listening to a lot of crap Rock music thats come out since 1995 they really weren't that bad.

The first album was especially not horrible. Like a 7 out of 10 not horrible.
    10/31/2000 (****)
    6/7/2003 (***1/2)
    7/9/2006 (****1/2)
    7/13/2006 (**** )
    4/10/2008 EV Solo (****1/2)
    6/25/2008 MSG II (*****)
    10/1/2009 LA II (****)
    10/6/2009 LA III (***** Cornell!!!)
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Offspring
    Everclear

i think those two with cake is a pretty solid start.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Todd76 wrote:
    Live
    Throwing Copper is like U2, as interpreted by Creed.

cue vomiting.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Throwing Copper is like U2, as interpreted by Creed.

cue vomiting.

U2 gets played quite a bit on the Lithium chanel too. Their 90s stuff - pretty boring, but not as bad as the first two I mentioned. Blink 182 is later 90s, and they are another I'd probably add to the list.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • soclosesoclose Posts: 628
    Smash Mouth
    Sugar Ray
    soclose wrote:
    Smash Mouth
    Sugar Ray

I forgot all about that musical holocaust known as Smash Mouth. I am also embarrassed to say that I owned a cd by each of them. I think I redeemed myself by giving both cds to trick or treaters a few years back for halloween.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    soclose wrote:
    Smash Mouth
    Sugar Ray

Let me add Uncle Kracker to that and make a trifecta of terror. I absolutely despise these bands. And I can usually find a nugget of decency out of every band.
  • zircona1zircona1 Posts: 293
    soclose wrote:
    Smash Mouth
    Sugar Ray

You know, 14:59 isn't a bad album. It's just good, guitar-driven pop music.

Smash Mouth, OTOH, I absolutely agree with, except for Walkin' On the Sun, which I still like b/c it sounds like something done back in the '60s.
    "As long as the music's loud enough, we won't hear the world falling apart."—Jubilee

"I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions." - George Carlin
    gabers wrote:
    Let me add Uncle Kracker to that and make a trifecta of terror. I absolutely despise these bands. And I can usually find a nugget of decency out of every band.

Lets not forget Kid Rock
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

• Todd76 wrote:
    make that every album they have ever put out was absolute crap and I'd agree with you ;)

nah, their first album was pretty great. also saw em in 2007, and put on a hell of a show.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    live was good up through secret samadhi, after that album they sucked.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Third Eye Blind is the cream of the crap
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • I like the first Offspring album mostly because it brings back good memories from high school. Never liked Everclear, terrible.

I think I didn't like *any* bands who broke out between 1996 and 2000.
  • Third Eye Blind is the cream of the crap

remember better than ezra?
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    I'd have to say Guns & Roses for their constant disappointment when playing live.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• live was good up through secret samadhi, after that album they sucked.

I am going to defend the next album after that, The Distance to Here, because it is my favorite album ever.

After that, I think the 3 discs that followed had enough good stuff to make one good compilation cd.

My votes for this thread

Oasis
    Beck
    Black Crowes
    Counting Crows
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • Matchbox 20
    Goo Goo Dolls
    Tripping Daisy
    Better Than Ezra
    SmashMouth
    Sugar Ray
    Unkle Cracker
    Kid Rock
    Creed
    Vertical Horizon
    New Radicals
    Bush
    Collective Soul
    3 Doors Down

The sad thing is I know I'm missing about 100 bands :)
    NERDS!
  • soul asylum
  • I forgot all about that musical holocaust known as Smash Mouth. I am also embarrassed to say that I owned a cd by each of them. I think I redeemed myself by giving both cds to trick or treaters a few years back for halloween.

That's worse than being the guy who hands out raisins! :eek: