Anyone like Jazz Music?

Comments

• Jeremy1012 wrote:
    I don't know if you've seen this. It's a ludicrous display of talent. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzj6Q61h3oA

I recommend this album, to anyone who loves music of any kind:

http://www.analogueproductions.com/reissues/details.cfm?title_id=16900
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Big jazz fan here.
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Correct me if I'm wrong,but doesn't this genre of music ask much more of the listener? I mean jazz music is for the "active" listener rather than the "passive" listener.

Also, I love how everybody in Jazz is interlinked. Many players have played in each others groups. And every record is pretty much a live final take. So much improvisation that it no other genre can closely come to it!
  • Depends. I had a girlfriend who insisted on doing it, to the album Kulu Se Mama, by John Coltrane. The problem was, I had it on vinyl, and after side one ended, I was made to er, interrupt my stride, get up across to the other side of the room and flip the vinyl over, and get back on the job right away, as if nothing had happened. Thank God for the invention of the CD! :D
    Depends. I had a girlfriend who insisted on doing it, to the album Kulu Se Mama, by John Coltrane. The problem was, I had it on vinyl, and after side one ended, I was made to er, interrupt my stride, get up across to the other side of the room and flip the vinyl over, and get back on the job right away, as if nothing had happened. Thank God for the invention of the CD! :D

Ha ha! That's some funny shit! Reel to reel would have been easier to deal with than an lp player!
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    G-Man23 wrote:
    Correct me if I'm wrong,but doesn't this genre of music ask much more of the listener? I mean jazz music is for the "active" listener rather than the "passive" listener.

Also, I love how everybody in Jazz is interlinked. Many players have played in each others groups. And every record is pretty much a live final take. So much improvisation that it no other genre can closely come to it!

I think to truely enjoy jazz it does demand a little more from the listener, but Jazz is great background music for a lot of things (not just sex but it can be damn good for that too) I love to put kind of blue on during a rainy day and just use it as background music
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    Depends. I had a girlfriend who insisted on doing it, to the album Kulu Se Mama, by John Coltrane. The problem was, I had it on vinyl, and after side one ended, I was made to er, interrupt my stride, get up across to the other side of the room and flip the vinyl over, and get back on the job right away, as if nothing had happened. Thank God for the invention of the CD! :D
    I laughed so hard when I read this that I spat out my drink :D

At least she had good taste. Kulu Se Mama is brilliant. I really love the spiritual side of Coltrane's music. That reminds me, have you ever heard Karma by Pharaoh Sanders? The Creator has a masterplan is unbelievable.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Wow. One thing I hear a lot is, people say, "Bruce, what's this with you and Jazz? What's the beef with you and Jazz music?"

I say, "Well, I really hate Jazz."

They say, "What do you hate about poor old Jazz?"

I say, "The sound. The sound that Jazz instruments make when they're being manipulated by Jazz players to the delight of Jazz respondents. I think of it as musical barf."

They say, "I don't think you've given Jazz a chance."

Well, I maintain, I haven't given suicide a chance, but. . .Well, I did give suicide a chance, but that was only because I was threatened with Jazz. You know. Jazz music.

One thing I hate--One thing I hate is being woken up in the middle of the night, when I'm dreaming about, say, promiscuity with dignity by a rap-tap-tappin' on my window by those guys with goatee things on their faces, saying, "Hey. Can we come in? Beano's clarinet's gettin' wet." And then they go into this sorta Gene Krupa trance. Jazz schmazz. I'm sorry; I've got to go that far. Jazz schmazz.

You know what? I'd like to declare this a Jazz-free zone, about forty miles as far as the Jazz-hatin' crow flies in any direction. Just paradise. Those guys would go to work, and it wouldn't be there.

I'm gonna ask a question. What sort of music do you think there is in hell? You know, H-E-double hockey sticks? Well, I think it's probably hateful, free-form Jazz. And in heaven? Country and Western music. The choice is pretty obvious. It's not Jazz. It's not bop-a-dop bop-be-bop-bo Jazz. What's that? A recorder or something? I'm not into it. Fuzz pedal, that's what I'm into. You know?
    Wow. One thing I hear a lot is, people say, "Bruce, what's this with you and Jazz? What's the beef with you and Jazz music?"

I say, "The sound. The sound that Jazz instruments make when they're being manipulated by Jazz players to the delight of Jazz respondents. I think of it as musical barf."

They say, "I don't think you've given Jazz a chance."

Well, I maintain, I haven't given suicide a chance, but. . .Well, I did give suicide a chance, but that was only because I was threatened with Jazz. You know. Jazz music.

One thing I hate--One thing I hate is being woken up in the middle of the night, when I'm dreaming about, say, promiscuity with dignity by a rap-tap-tappin' on my window by those guys with goatee things on their faces, saying, "Hey. Can we come in? Beano's clarinet's gettin' wet." And then they go into this sorta Gene Krupa trance. Jazz schmazz. I'm sorry; I've got to go that far. Jazz schmazz.

You know what? I'd like to declare this a Jazz-free zone, about forty miles as far as the Jazz-hatin' crow flies in any direction. Just paradise. Those guys would go to work, and it wouldn't be there.

I'm gonna ask a question. What sort of music do you think there is in hell? You know, H-E-double hockey sticks? Well, I think it's probably hateful, free-form Jazz. And in heaven? Country and Western music. The choice is pretty obvious. It's not Jazz. It's not bop-a-dop bop-be-bop-bo Jazz. What's that? A recorder or something? I'm not into it. Fuzz pedal, that's what I'm into. You know?
    no one is making you listen to it. perhaps coming into a jazz thread is gonna have people talking about jazz. deal with it.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    no one is making you listen to it. perhaps coming into a jazz thread is gonna have people talking about jazz. deal with it.

I could be wrong but i don't think he made that up i think that was from a movie or something.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Wow. One thing I hear a lot is, people say, "Bruce, what's this with you and Jazz? What's the beef with you and Jazz music?"

Haha,, I don't know my television culture too well, but that's "the Kids in the Hall", I'm pretty sure, and it was a funny skit!

Not as good as "I crush your head" though! :D
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

You're entitled to your opinion,but.................I don't care for your jazz hating. Infact your little blurb about "a jazz free zone" makes sense. Except we will call this a "jazz hater free zone". So long hater. You don't need to post here. See ya.

Besides,see the title of the thread. It did not ask for haters of the music. Let me clarify,it says "anyone LIKE jazz music"? Not,"anyone HATE jazz music"?
  • Get Kind of Blue by Miles Davis, one of the best albums of all time.

So What is ecstacy for a jazzhead.
    My parents always like to pick up cd's for me for christmas so i've asked for a few jazz albums this year

miles davis- my funny valentine
    miles davis-live at the filmore 1970 (the night he opened for neil young :) )
    wes montgomery- Smokin at the Half Note

I'm excited about hearing all of them.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Haha,, I don't know my television culture too well, but that's "the Kids in the Hall", I'm pretty sure, and it was a funny skit!

Not as good as "I crush your head" though!

nice, i'm glad someone got the reference.
    G-Man23 wrote:
    Hey sweet whatever...........

You're entitled to your opinion,but.................I don't care for your jazz hating. Infact your little blurb about "a jazz free zone" makes sense. Except we will call this a "jazz hater free zone". So long hater. You don't need to post here. See ya.

Besides,see the title of the thread. It did not ask for haters of the music. Let me clarify,it says "anyone LIKE jazz music"? Not,"anyone HATE jazz music"?

hey g-string man,

it was a joke. its a skit from kids in the hall and it is funny.

i took a jazz class in college, i can appreciate jazz music but i don't listen to it.

signed,
    sweet whatever
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    I'm more into the vocalists:

Sarah Vaughn
    Dinah Washington
    Ella Fitzgerald
    Billie Holiday

I would like to listen to more piano jazz. I heard Nat King Cole is actually an incredible piano player even though he is known for his voice. Also, I have a Benny Goodman CD. Sometimes big band is just the way to stomp into the now. I have a couple CDs of Louie Armstrong, too.

I would like to learn more about it. I read some books on it, the phases it went through. I would like to learn more about the 20's-40s era.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    Fins, you romeo, you.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
    And you know, Art Tatum was the very best of all. He was doing things in the thirties, that people are still trying to figure out today, and he did it all within the sphere of stride. Look what he does with Dvořák!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNp-ldlnf5s
    Looks like I need to get some Art Tatum, eh?
    intodeep wrote:
    I could be wrong but i don't think he made that up i think that was from a movie or something.
    I didn't realise :D My apologies sweet adeline.
    nice, i'm glad someone got the reference.

hey g-string man,

it was a joke. its a skit from kids in the hall and it is funny.

i took a jazz class in college, i can appreciate jazz music but i don't listen to it.

signed,
    sweet whatever

Sorry. My bad! Just a bit too sensitive!

Peace
  • G-Man23 wrote:
    Sorry. My bad! Just a bit too sensitive!

Peace

no worries, didn't mean to hijack your thread.

if it makes you feel better, i'll put on some miles right now.
    Just bought Bobby Hutcherson's "Dialogue". The vibe player just gets no serious love. I guess Lionel Hampton made kind of a flashy/showy instrument in the 30's & 40's(Hampton's hayday) and no one has been able to give it respectability since. Anyhow,Hutcherson is a wonderful vibe player that was involved in some of the classic Blue Note sessions in the 1960's. Highly reccomended listening.
    no worries, didn't mean to hijack your thread.

if it makes you feel better, i'll put on some miles right now.

Cool. Thanks!
    I have the Ken Burns' CD for Louie Armstrong. Do you like other Ken Burns CDs? I think it's very good.

Also, different topic, but one that is usually grouped with Jazz - Blues

I like Big Mama Thornton, anyone else you recommend? I am interested in singers that can belt out the blues, and piano blues.
  • G-Man23 wrote:
    Just bought Bobby Hutcherson's "Dialogue". The vibe player just gets no serious love. I guess Lionel Hampton made kind of a flashy/showy instrument in the 30's & 40's(Hampton's hayday) and no one has been able to give it respectability since. Anyhow,Hutcherson is a wonderful vibe player that was involved in some of the classic Blue Note sessions in the 1960's. Highly reccomended listening.

Bobby plays blindingly well, on Dolphy's "Out To Lunch".
    Bobby plays blindingly well, on Dolphy's "Out To Lunch".

That's how I first heard of Hutcherson, on the awesome "Out To Lunch". Ya know, I first heard of Eric Dolphy from John Coltrane's "Immpressions". Once again it shows you that these guys were all intertwined and I've just barely begun to "scratch the preverbial suface".
  • BinFrogBinFrog Posts: 7,309
    Ms. Haiku wrote:
    Looks like I need to get some Art Tatum, eh?

and:

-Thenonius Monk
    -Bill Evans ("Sunday At The Village Vanguard" is one of the finest chill jazz albums ever recorded)
    -McCoy Tyner

And if you want a little more out-there piano jazz, try The Bad Plus's album "These Are The Vistas""
    Bright eyed kid: "Wow Typo Man, you're the best!"
    Typo Man: "Thanks kidz, but remembir, stay in skool!"
  • Ms. Haiku wrote:
    I have the Ken Burns' CD for Louie Armstrong. Do you like other Ken Burns CDs? I think it's very good.

Also, different topic, but one that is usually grouped with Jazz - Blues

I like Big Mama Thornton, anyone else you recommend? I am interested in singers that can belt out the blues, and piano blues.

If you like some piano jazz, here are some you may not have heard:

-Mary Lou Williams - Live at the Cookery.
    She was considered the mother of jazz for a long time and played with Duke Ellington and all the greats. A soulful piano player and it sounds like she fits your bill!
    I should get her whole retrospective album. She was amazing and playing pro at the age of 20 in the late 20's or early 30's. We saw her in Chicago in the late 1970’s and she was so good that I even remember that show in from that haze which was my 70’s! She was soul and jazz and boogie woogie and a joy!!

-I like Bill Evans. Actually a really beautiful pair of CD’s are the sessions with Tony Bennett and Bill Evans.

-Ruben Gonzales - This isn’t bebop jazz, but for a fun and foot tapping Cuban jazz cd,,, he was part of the Buena Vista Social Club. His Buena Vista solo CD is a priceless piece of music. He was near 90 when he recorded it.

- Omara Portundo was part of the Buena Vista series and her CD is beautiful. Her voice and style makes me sigh!

Sun Ra - Saint Louis Blues. He was a great piano player and I wrote about the Sun Ra Arkestra back there somewhere, but this is him live with his piano. That's for a little trip Out There! I love this CD
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart

Art Tatum - Piano Master
    Ken Burns Jazz - John Coltrane

Overall, I'm very happy with them so far. They definitely make me feel like I'm in a cafe ready to pen a poem, and enjoy cake and a latte, which is really the feeling I wanted. I'm still researching the suggestions, and other artist suggestions on this thread. I'm looking forward to experiencing the new sounds :)