Anyone like Jazz Music?

AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
edited January 2007 in Other Music
I like 60's era hard bop/new jazz. Artists such as :

John Coltrane
Eric Dolphy
Charles Mingus
Ornette Coleman

Just to name a few. Can you add to the list?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    Over the past two years i've slowly started a small jazz collection. I don't listen to it everyday but i love having it for relaxing times or some of the more upbeat stuff for other occasions

I truely love the work of miles davis and john coltrane.

Herbie Hancock's work on Empyrean isles and maiden voyage was great.

I like Charles Mingus a lot also

Some of Thelonious Monk's stuff is very good

I have Cannonball Adderley's Somethin Else Album and that is very good.

Dave Brubeck is very easy listening jazz

Kenny Burrell plays some great jazz guitar

those are some of my early favorites. I can't say enough about Miles davis though i have about ten of his albums that span different points of his career and they are all good.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    Currently enjoying an Art Blakely 1958 Paris show. Lee Morgan's Sidewinder is one of my favorites and he just so happens to play on this '58 show.

I find my favorite period to be the late 50's - mid 60's. I love the Blue Note Reissues.

Herbie Hancock's Maiden Voyage is spectacular.
  • Anything Coltrane did with his classic quartet (Elvin Jones, Jimmy Garrison, and McCoy Tyner) is amazing. They were just one of the greatest bands ever, of any genre.

Thelonious Monk has some very cool stuff.

Charles Mingus is great, too. Great bass player and composer.

Kenny Burrell, Wes Montgomery, and especially Grant Green are some of my favorite jazz guitarists.

Jimmy Smith made some awesome jazz organ records, very funky stuff. The Beastie Boys sampled him for Root Down.

I've been very into fusion lately. Anything John Mclaughlin plays guitar on will blow your mind. He played on Miles Davis's earliest fusion experiments, and his Mahavishnu Orchestra is one of the sickest bands of all time. Anyone who likes the Mars Volta should go buy The Inner Mounting Flame by the Mahavishnu Orchestra immediately. I just got the first album by Shakti, an acoustic group Mclaughlin put together with Indian musicians, and it is pretty mind blowing.

I've also never heard anything by Miles Davis I didn't like. The man was an absolute musical genius. As the professor in the jazz class I took in college put it, Miles changed the face of jazz music at least 4 times in his career.
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    do these guys have lyrics in their music? i do like jazz and was thinking of getting some for listening while studying, but lyrics distract me. so if any of these artists are purely instrumental and you've got suggestions on great albums... send em my way!
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    To name a few "must haves" -

John Coltrane - A Love Supreme and Ascension
    Eric Dolphy - Out To Lunch
    Charles Mingus - Mingus Ah Um and The Black Saint & The Sinner Lady
    Ornette Coleman - Free Jazz(amazing)

Herbie Hancock IS the man! Empyrean Isles and Maiden Voyage are great recordings. Headhunters is a great one as well.
    For your viewing pleasure :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUzFbT5JT1M
  • do these guys have lyrics in their music? i do like jazz and was thinking of getting some for listening while studying, but lyrics distract me. so if any of these artists are purely instrumental and you've got suggestions on great albums... send em my way!

G-man23 has some good ones there!

I love jazz and I'm getting even deeper into it within the last few months, because I recently discovered that my neighbor behind me is about 85 years old, and in his house has literally 10,000 + tapes, vinyl, whatever you can record on, and I'm trying to help him get it all onto CD to archive. His house is a museum and I'm learning so much every time I see him.

If you want to start with accessible, G-man has some greats up there.

- Miles Davis - Birth of the cool, Love songs and Kind of Blue:

Kind Of Blue. This album should be issued to everyone when they're born, along with the birth certificate. :D It's Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Cannonball Adderly, Bill Evans on horns and piano and it's superb.

-Thelonius Monk Quartet with John Coltrane live at Carnegie Hall

-John Coltrane - Blue Train and Love Supreme

Duke Ellington - If you want to look farther back, check into Duke Ellington's early stuff. He was one of the pioneers of jazz. It all started in New Orleans, and his quintet was innovative at the time. Later in the 30's he evolved into the swing era, and there is some beautiful music from that era,,, pre-bop

I also love old Louis Armstrong stuff. He was in cahoots with Ellington and a major part of that era.

Some contemporary guitarists you may like live right in Philly and I'm about to take a jazz guitar course at the University of the Arts with:

Pat Martino! - An AMAZING guitarist!
    Jimmy Bruno- ditto

John Scofield- and you would probably like his CD with Modeski Martin and Wood,,,,,,,, *Reaches into foggy brain* hmmm,,

-"A Go Go"! Ha! I knew I'd remember! That's a great CD

Now for jazz from the future and my favorite.

Sun Ra
    He died a while back, but he isn't really here yet! Haha, so far ahead.He was a pianist / composer / bandleader of the Arkestra. They started in New Orleans then later lived together in Philly and I saw them probably a hundred times, and there was nothing like it. The Arkestra still is somewhat together and they travel occasionally, and you should not miss them live.

If you want something interesting try these three:
    Sun Ra - The Singles. It's a great set that brings you chronologically from his early be-bop to the Sun Ra and his Arkestra.

Sun Ra - Saint Louis Blues is piano small jazz ensemble and beautiful and just a bit out there

Sun Ra - Travel the Spacewaves is a great 23 piece band piece of "out there on a different planet" free jazz. It SOUNDS like free jazz but it's all composed. It's challenging but still on the edge of accessible.

You'll hear a bit of who he influenced if you ever heard of Frank Zappa, and some band named Radiohead. :D Their more offbeat work is DEFINITELY a descendant of Sun Ra

Sit back and head to another planet! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avUH5xb-6qo
    Be kind, man
    Don't be mankind. ~Captain Beefheart
  • MojopinMojopin Posts: 216
    <3 Jazz!

Mojo
    "A consistently good band works all the different elements well. A song has to appeal sentimentally, intellectually, physically, viscerally, and dig deep down into your soul and suck you into it. And after that, of course, it'd be a matter of taste." ~ Kim Thayil from Soundgarden
  • G-Man23 wrote:
    Hey, who's pearljam? nice post! Don't forget Sun Ra's "Jazz In Sillouette". The man was truely way ahead of his time.
    The great thing about all the artists you listed is that their music is pretty much all timeless!

Thanks, and Jazz in Silouette is great, too. Some of the 70's stuff with that Farfisa organ hurts my ears, but otherwise I love all his stuff.
    That was the "loosest looking tightest orchestra" I've ever seen!

My brother has every album they ever did. After Sun Ra died, he and I hooked up with Michael Ray from the Arkestra and my bro helped them sort out Sun Ra's musical history with his collection.

Which reminds me,,,
    Michael Ray was one of the trumpet players in the arkestra and he has two great albums that are "out there", but great fun. New Orleans style with that spacey music thrown in.

I'll dig up the picture of me when I happened to have a weird shirt on and I we sort of walked up and were standing on the stage with the arkestra,,,, ha ha, and we matched,,,,,, except for my blond hair! :D
    Be kind, man
    I wish I knew more about jazz, and more jazz in general. I love John Coltrane, Albert Beger, Thelonious Monk, and especially, especially Miles Davis. I'm also kind of into funkier, and rockier jazz, like Jazz Fusion. I love David Fiucyzinski and I don't know if they really fit here, but Soulive. I would have to say though, that Miles Davis is definitely my favorite. Stuff like the Complete Jack Johnson Sessions are out of this world.
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.
    hendrix78 wrote:
    I've been very into fusion lately. Anything John Mclaughlin plays guitar on will blow your mind.

So true. That trio of in a silent way, bitches brew, and jack johnson are amazing.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    I love jazz. Only today I got into a lengthy conversation with someone I don't even like because they saw me with Free Jazz by Ornette Coleman in my hands.

I love Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Thelonious Monk, Art Blakey, Billy Cobham, Eric Dolphy, Pharaoh Sanders, Mahavishnu orchestra/john mclaughlin, weather report, John Zorn and many other artists. Basically any jazz that moves away from traditional stylings into more free/fusion based areas.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"

Thank you. Did you check out the Coltrane/Dolphy footage I posted?
  • G-Man23 wrote:
    Thank you. Did you check out the Coltrane/Dolphy footage I posted?

I did, thanks!
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    doesn't anyone like charlie parker? his playing frequently sneaks into my headspace.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    doesn't anyone like charlie parker? his playing frequently sneaks into my headspace.

Many roads begin with "Bird". He seems to get lumped in with the old school,but we know he and Sonny Rollins are huge to the new school of saxaphone players. Because Bird died in 1954,he gets overlooked by some.

Coltrane took Parker's torch and ran with it.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    G-Man23 wrote:
    Many roads begin with "Bird". He seems to get lumped in with the old school,but we know he and Sonny Rollins are huge to the new school of saxaphone players. Because Bird died in 1954,he gets overlooked by some.

Coltrane took Parker's torch and ran with it.

march 1955. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • doesn't anyone like charlie parker? his playing frequently sneaks into my headspace.

:D

I was just putting a list together of some great who many don’t know,,, and Charlie was number one!

Charlie Parker- Sax! YES!!!

Sonny Rollins - Bring tears to your eyes with his sax playing

Clifford Brown - One of the great trumpet players, from right here in Wilmington Delaware, and there’s a great jazz festival named after him here.

On guitar! (Over there on the right, :D )

Joe Pass - One of the greats ever, in the world when he was alive..

Herb Ellis - Get Joe Pass/ Herb Ellis - “Joe’s Blues” These two guys are amazing and you can hear friendly competition between them and is a great jazz guitar starter kit! :cool:

Wes Montgomery - You’ll hear him playing guitar octaves,,,, and you’ll know who Jimi Hendrix was listening to!

Django Reinhart may be one of the greatest whoever lived!

Pat Martino - from Philly, one of the world’s greats. He had a stroke and forgot how to play guitar and had to relearn it. He’s a great person, too. He teaches and gives back by helping teachers to teach music therapy.

Jimmy Bruno - Also from Philly. Both of these two are still living and tops and every once in a while you’ll see Pat and Jimmy playing together somewhere and it makes me realize how much I suck on guitar!
    Jimmy with just a guitar, no band. Check this one out!!:
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=iQChYrqUQzE

I just today got accepted into a Jazz Guitar at the U of Arts courses with either of them,, but I can't make the one with Pat Martino, but I CAN in February with Jimmy. Haha,,, I've been playing for years, but these guys make me realize how badly I suck! :D
    Be kind, man
  • And you know, Art Tatum was the very best of all. He was doing things in the thirties, that people are still trying to figure out today, and he did it all within the sphere of stride. Look what he does with Dvořák!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNp-ldlnf5s
    someone might have posted this already but if not watch it. this is stunning.

So what - Miles davis 1959
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEFPGjgavn8

Coltrane is superb in this.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    And you know, Art Tatum was the very best of all. He was doing things in the thirties, that people are still trying to figure out today, and he did it all within the sphere of stride. Look what he does with Dvořák!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNp-ldlnf5s
    That's incredible. How the hell can anyone be that comfortable with an instrument? I feel like I'm fighting my guitar half the time I'm playing it but he looks like the piano is a part of him.
  • He was blind in one eye, and had limited sight in the other. To be so visually impaired, but also be one of the very greatest virtuosos on any instrument, of any genre, is an incomprehensibly huge human achievement.
    wow that was an impressive display on the piano.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
    He was blind in one eye, and had limited sight in the other. To be so visually impaired, but also be one of the very greatest virtuosos on any instrument, of any genre, is an incomprehensibly huge human achievement.
    I don't know if you've seen this. It's a ludicrous display of talent. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uzj6Q61h3oA
  • brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    i go to the jazz hole every time i get the chance.
    brain of c wrote:
    i go to the jazz hole every time i get the chance.

Interesting explanation on your jazz tendencies.......haha!