Chris Cornell : Ex-Audioslave vocalist

Comments

• MojopinMojopin Posts: 216
    I'm really excited about this. The door for some kind of SG get-to-gether is at least open right now. :shock:

Mojo
    "A consistently good band works all the different elements well. A song has to appeal sentimentally, intellectually, physically, viscerally, and dig deep down into your soul and suck you into it. And after that, of course, it'd be a matter of taste." ~ Kim Thayil from Soundgarden
  • I think that's great all around, and he's making the right decision. I was really disappointed when he abandoned his solo career. I think he will have a great one if he continues with it, and doesn't try to reunite Soundgarden.

And of course, if RATM came back, that'd be great. 3 albums wasn't enough from a band like that.
  • bharQbharQ Posts: 1,201
    yes finally!! rage could still put out a really amazing album..they are still somewhat young and have plenty to be angry about!
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    moho wrote:
    Listen to Temple Of The Dog... Just go listen properly and compare it with anything he's done after Down On The Upside.

Yeah, I've heard 'em all. Obviously, if you listen to CC mainly to hear power high-notes you're gonna disagree. My $0.02: If you have a chance to listen to a singing voice as beautiful as Chris' I could give two shits about heavy-metal power high-notes.

It's um... how do I put it? His crazy high-up range, the part of his voice that is gone forever, really added a whole new, unique, dimension to songs like Slaves and Bulldozers, Jesus Christ Pose, Hunger Strike, and Limo Wreck- it was an integral instrument to those pieces, the vocals on those are wonderful. I'm not denying that. But, let me try to explain where I'm coming from-- For example, I think his vocal on Beyond the Wheel is silly. It's so over the top. It's just REALLY LOW, or ANNOYINGLY HIGH. I can't even try taking it seriously. Give me EM or or any of the Audioslave records any day over that nonsense.

While he definately couldn't pull of many of the classic SG songs now, I don't think he could have pulled off some of the best Audioslave songs back in 1990 (Dandelion, One and the Same, Hypnotize, You're Time has Come), or at least not nearly as successfully. If people give these songs a chance, they'll see that he really has matured as a singer and is beyond doing just a bunch of heavy-metal wailing.
  • bovy_j wrote:
    As much as I liked Audioslave and I'm horribly sad to hear that Cornell has gone..haven't gotten the chance to see these boys live, like I would have hoped to...

....I loved Rage even more!! Let's hope that the 1 show that Rage has in April or whatever the date is...will turn into another album and a whole new tour! Viva la Rage!

umm....I think you took all of these words right out of my mouth. all i'll add is we need a NEW RAGE ALBUM. I'd take that over a tour. the fact that I only own four Rage Against the Machine albums is a travesty!!
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • its a damn shame that their last album will never be played live at all probably, and its their best one.
  • I love Chris but he's not turning into Billy Corgan is he? ;)
  • BlyssBlyss Posts: 166
    Aww didn't mind audioslave and i was hoping for him to go solo so dissapointment.
  • Ha, I fucking knew it - I predicted this a few weeks ago. Oh well, bring on the solo album and the RATM reunion!
  • SongburstSongburst Posts: 1,195
    A new Rage album would be complete shit. A bunch of 40 year olds kicking out angst-driven rap-rock is a laughable concept. I think that Zak has lost his vocal range - lol. At least Cornell will put out a solo album with some dignity. Although releasing the cover of Billie Jean soils that a bit too.
    1/12/1879, 4/8/1156, 2/6/1977, who gives a shit, ...
  • Thank God I have a real feeling of relief. Chris could do so much better then this and he knew it. Tom killed this band for me -he just could just not evolve enough as a guitarist and obviously he wanted to write political songs. Will Soundgarden reunite? In a way it would be neat but Down on the Upside is such an incredible album to finish a career do they really need another shot and possible damage what is a legendary reputation. With regards to Matt Cameron I have no doubt that he would leave in a flash if it was on the cards it is after all the band that made him and in which he reached his peak. Maybe some guest appearances would be neat in the future. Audioslave was a great band -it was a sad end.
  • Soundgarden > Audioslave > Take That > Rage Against the Machine.

I laugh in the face of anyone who comes out with crap about how this is great news and RATM can "come back and save the world!!!". They're a bunch of middle-aged men, they didn't "make a difference" back then and they certainly won't "make a difference" now. Whilst others have matured personally and musically and continue to move on, I feel sorry for the 3 ex-Audioslave guys who obviously couldn't see any other future except for reforming their old band. Good luck with that (and with clearing up after the inevitable crowd trouble / riots form all the angry teeny-boppers at Coachella).
  • macgyver06macgyver06 Posts: 2,500
    no one will ever take the 3 CDS from me.. audioslave was awesome!
  • MojopinMojopin Posts: 216
    ii44 wrote:
    Yeah, I've heard 'em all. Obviously, if you listen to CC mainly to hear power high-notes you're gonna disagree. My $0.02: If you have a chance to listen to a singing voice as beautiful as Chris' I could give two shits about heavy-metal power high-notes.

It's um... how do I put it? His crazy high-up range, the part of his voice that is gone forever, really added a whole new, unique, dimension to songs like Slaves and Bulldozers, Jesus Christ Pose, Hunger Strike, and Limo Wreck- it was an integral instrument to those pieces, the vocals on those are wonderful. I'm not denying that. But, let me try to explain where I'm coming from-- For example, I think his vocal on Beyond the Wheel is silly. It's so over the top. It's just REALLY LOW, or ANNOYINGLY HIGH. I can't even try taking it seriously. Give me EM or or any of the Audioslave records any day over that nonsense.

While he definately couldn't pull of many of the classic SG songs now, I don't think he could have pulled off some of the best Audioslave songs back in 1990 (Dandelion, One and the Same, Hypnotize, You're Time has Come), or at least not nearly as successfully. If people give these songs a chance, they'll see that he really has matured as a singer and is beyond doing just a bunch of heavy-metal wailing.

You're entitled to your opinion, but I think he could have easily sung any one of those songs back in 1990 and it would have sounded much much better.

Mojo
    "A consistently good band works all the different elements well. A song has to appeal sentimentally, intellectually, physically, viscerally, and dig deep down into your soul and suck you into it. And after that, of course, it'd be a matter of taste." ~ Kim Thayil from Soundgarden
  • larslars Posts: 524
    It´s been awhile since CC has made anything good. Audioslave was mediocre and his solo stuff so far hasn´t really been classics. If he soon doesn´t make something better than a decent effort he´ll loose credibility. One thing is for sure, he´s a excellent singer but I see him having trouble standing alone....hope his next solo record will show me wrong.
    You can´t trust a vegetarian.
    lars wrote:
    It´s been awhile since CC has made anything good. Audioslave was mediocre and his solo stuff so far hasn´t really been classics. If he soon doesn´t make something better than a decent effort he´ll loose credibility. One thing is for sure, he´s a excellent singer but I see him having trouble standing alone....hope his next solo record will show me wrong.

I make Music, your post makes me sick :)
  • PJ PookPJ Pook Posts: 109
    I liked Audioslave but I definitely like CC solo and Rage better! I'm glad I got a chance to see Audioslave live before the broke up.
    macgyver06 wrote:
    no one will ever take the 3 CDS from me.. audioslave was awesome!

I too cherish those 3 or so songs..
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
  • DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    Great, so my awesomely low fan club number has officially gone to waste. Not only that, but I just ordered an Audioslave t-shirt a few days ago. I just have no luck with these guys.

But putting my wasted money aside, it really is a shame that they've disbanded. I did really like their music and I never got a chance to see them live. But it's not all bad... RATM will probably officially reform and hopefully Chris's solo album will be great (it could be his last, after all).

But damn... now what's the point in wearing the t-shirt I ordered? :mad:
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • mulva9mulva9 Posts: 417
    DOSW wrote:

They're retro now.
    DOSW wrote:

Well I guess that says a lot about them right there.. no one threw away their Rage shirts when they disbanded..
    09/04/05 - Calgary, AB
    08/02/07 - LOLLA!!!
    bharQ wrote:
    I too cherish those 3 or so songs..

i like em' all

good concepts for each of the 3 albums in fact...if you had a little brain behind your listening you would have know revelations would have been the last album

admittance...recovery...change
  • Marie CurieMarie Curie Posts: 1,250
    macgyver06 wrote:
    I make Music, your post makes me sick :)

I like you :D

Just listened to Euphoria Morning today, what a great album! I'm really excited about "Carry On"!
    “Life is life everywhere. Life is in ourselves and not outside us. There will be men beside me, and the important thing is to be a man among men and to remain a man always, whatever the misfortunes, not to despair and not to fall - that is the aim of life, that is its purpose.”
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  • TheGossmanTheGossman Posts: 1,120
    lars wrote:

you are crazy, I rank is solo stuff up with soundgarden, but then again I wouldn't expect any less from someone named Lars
    9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
  • This makes me sad! Why did so many of you dislike AudioSlave? They were great.

In any event, I look forward to Chris' solo stuff.
    ~*~Me and Hippiemom dranketh the red wine in Cleveland 2003~*~

First PJ Show: March 20, 1994 | Ann Arbor | Crisler Arena
  • Fuuuuuuuuuuuuccccck Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank God It's Over!!!!!!!!

My Hangover Just Went Away!!!

Have A Great Day Everybody!!!!

-:):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):) Chris :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)
  • deadnotedeadnote Posts: 1,678
    well they always have the music so im sure they will all continue to thrive in some way musically

and i just wanted to say that i feel like a looza , nice name even though im pretty much the bad guy at this point
    set your laughter free

dreamer in my dream

we got the guns

i love you,but im..............callin out.........callin out
  • Being a longtime fan of Chris I will continue to support whatever he does although I am puzzled about the Billie Jean remake mentioned in the article The jury is out on that until we hear it. A Soundgarden reunion would be cool saw them 3 times & Chris solo once but never got to see Audioslave oh well. He is a great talent cant wait for the album
    12/27/91-L.A.-W/Nirvana & Red Hot Chili Peppers
    9/10/92-Singles Party L.A-Park Plaza Hotel
    12/1/93-Las Vegas Aladdin Hotel
    7/10/98-San Diego Cox Arena
    7/11/98-Las Vegas Thomas & Mack
    8/12/00 Tampa St Petes Time Forum
    4/13/03 Tampa St Petes Time Forum
    10/8/04 Kissimee I want the DVD
  • VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    Can't believe he didn't even told the other guys about leaving the band before making it public. He's being quite an ass about all this:rolleyes:

Damn. As if the breakup didn't shock me enough as is, reading what he had to say about it added even more. I love the guy to death but I must agree...the way he handled this seems pretty fucked up. "They'll be hearing about this today"????? Wow. Him being shocked about Rage is one thing, but to decide to LEAVE the band and have them be the last ones to know about it???? I love you Chris but that ain't right!

ANYways....I've been listening to Audioslave all day and this tragic loss has been hitting me more and more. I also agree with what someone else said, it's even more tragic that we didn't get to hear these Revelations songs live. :o I do feel SO beyond grateful for getting to see them live as many times as I did though. To have had the experiences I've had, meet the people I've met through them. Getting to meet Tom quite a few times too! It's just been amazing. I truly am so grateful for everything that we have had as a result of their time together...which is so much. :) I also love knowing that ALL of these guys will continue to make music no matter what. When you look at like that, this is not the end.

Speaking of which...
    YES Marie Curie, "Carry On" has me on the verge of combustion!!!!!!! Everytime I feel sad about AS I think about this and 'my soul is saved'. :D
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤
    ...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • Hitch-HikerHitch-Hiker Posts: 2,873
    I think this is shit news. Audioslave really hit their stride with Revelations. I think they could've done some really great stuff in the future.
    It's really crap that people didn't like them because they weren't exactly like Rage or Soundgarden. And the RATM reunion is an awful idea as far as I'm concerned. They were a great band once, but there's nothing left for them to do. They were already sliding when they broke up.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me