Chris Cornell : Ex-Audioslave vocalist

Comments

• Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    yosi wrote:
    Would be nice but the Billboard article made that sound very unlikely.
    money talks my fellow met fan
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• money talks my fellow met fan

yep, just ask sting and the police
    Something never thought you'd be part of
  • culot4culot4 Posts: 775
    A Soundgarden reunion at this point would just be laughable.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    Matt won't leave PJ.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,153
    culot4 wrote:

Why????
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
  • Marie CurieMarie Curie Posts: 1,250
    culot4 wrote:

I would love a tour, but I don't think they should record another album if this happens, which I think it's highly unlikely.

Chris should just tour with Pearl Jam this year, now that would be awesome!
    “Life is life everywhere. Life is in ourselves and not outside us. There will be men beside me, and the important thing is to be a man among men and to remain a man always, whatever the misfortunes, not to despair and not to fall - that is the aim of life, that is its purpose.”
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky
    Hawkshore wrote:
    Why????

Because Cornell can't sing anymore. If he wants to do solo accoustic ballads or something he might be able to get away with it, but there is no way he could belt out Soundgarden songs.
    Once in a while you can get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,214
    two words:SOUNDGARDEN REUNION

You can't have Matt back! You can't have Matt back!
  • NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:( :( :(

Can't say I didn't see it coming, but at the same time I wanted all the rumours to be bullshit.

On the plus side...as my girl Lydi already pointed out...SOLO CORNELL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    and for us short girls who just wanna enjoy the view and the music, we won't be taking our lives into our hands when we hit that front rail at the shows anymore! WHOOOHOOO!!
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
  • VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091
    The last time Chris was asked about a SG reunion he definitely seemed wide open to it. :D

Chris should just tour with Pearl Jam this year, now that would be awesome!

Mmm mmm mmm. I just LOVE the way you think my friend. ;)
    (( Happy bday btw!! :) ))
    ¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • MojopinMojopin Posts: 216
    Looking forward to the solo album! I think he should have just continued the solo thing, maybe his voice wouldn't have gotten so trashed, especially putting out mediocre trite like he did w/Audioshite.

As far as SG, I really doubt they would do anything regarding any new album or anything. But a 1-off concert, and/or short tour would be AMAZING. And honestly, if anything at all happens, I just hope they release some video stuff from the archives and maybe some audio stuff they've been holding onto all these years, ie the famed 'B-Sides' that Kim was supposed to release back in like '98. Ben did that interview a couple years back referencing some stuff, that not many outside the band have ahd the chance to hear, that had me drooling...

Maybe, just maybe, this opens the door a tiny bit.

Mojo
    "A consistently good band works all the different elements well. A song has to appeal sentimentally, intellectually, physically, viscerally, and dig deep down into your soul and suck you into it. And after that, of course, it'd be a matter of taste." ~ Kim Thayil from Soundgarden
  • Cornell is one of the best. Audioslave was great. Zach sucks rage sucks. People think Zach is way more talented then he is. He hasnt done fuck all since rage broke up why cuz he cant do it on his own. Morello never played one lick of melody, in rage not until he joined Audioslave. Which i feel in Audioslave Morellos playing got much better.

• Chris should just tour with Pearl Jam this year, now that would be awesome!

I'd die. Good luck with it happening, but i'd die out of sheer excitement and suffocation of happiness. Then again, look at all the 'unprobable' things that have occured with multiple bands over the last year alone....

And with that occurence, i'd DEMAND TOTD encore songs :D
    "Everyone wants to be the sun that lights up your life, but I'd rather be your moon so I can shine on you during your darkest hour when your sun's not around."
    VEDHEAD27 wrote:
    The last time Chris was asked about a SG reunion he definitely seemed wide open to it. :D

Mmm mmm mmm. I just LOVE the way you think my friend. ;)
    (( Happy bday btw!! :) ))

Let's talk about Chris new solo album now, shall we? May 1st, I can't wait. The first single should be released very soon now, maybe March
    “Life is life everywhere. Life is in ourselves and not outside us. There will be men beside me, and the important thing is to be a man among men and to remain a man always, whatever the misfortunes, not to despair and not to fall - that is the aim of life, that is its purpose.”
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  • Mojopin wrote:
    Looking forward to the solo album! I think he should have just continued the solo thing, maybe his voice wouldn't have gotten so trashed, especially putting out mediocre trite like he did w/Audioshite.

As far as SG, I really doubt they would do anything regarding any new album or anything. But a 1-off concert, and/or short tour would be AMAZING. And honestly, if anything at all happens, I just hope they release some video stuff from the archives and maybe some audio stuff they've been holding onto all these years, ie the famed 'B-Sides' that Kim was supposed to release back in like '98. Ben did that interview a couple years back referencing some stuff, that not many outside the band have ahd the chance to hear, that had me drooling...

Maybe, just maybe, this opens the door a tiny bit.

Mojo

I know i have most of the b-sides and all, but to have an OFFICIAL album, but be the greatest, Kim..what a talent, I still wonder what he is really up to these days?? It would be great to see a complete edition of them though.
    "Everyone wants to be the sun that lights up your life, but I'd rather be your moon so I can shine on you during your darkest hour when your sun's not around."
  • Mojopin wrote:
    And honestly, if anything at all happens, I just hope they release some video stuff from the archives and maybe some audio stuff they've been holding onto all these years, ie the famed 'B-Sides' that Kim was supposed to release back in like '98. Ben did that interview a couple years back referencing some stuff, that not many outside the band have ahd the chance to hear, that had me drooling...

I've always wanted to hear studio takes on some of the covers they played in '96 (Waiting For The Sun, Search And Destroy, Helter Skelter).
    I'd die. Good luck with it happening, but i'd die out of sheer excitement and suffocation of happiness. Then again, look at all the 'unprobable' things that have occured with multiple bands over the last year alone....

not really unprobable, PJ is touring this year, so is CC to support his new album. They are friends, why not? I heard PJ didn't tour the south because of bad ticket sales. I say, add Chris to bill and you get sold out venues!

That being said, If that does happen someday, I don't care if they decide to tour Alaska, I would fly my ass to wherever they go and hit every single concert of the tour.
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  • i do not believe it yet but it seems possible ;)

i always liked audioslave, but i'm not really sad...

i think it is a little too early to talk about a soundgarden reunion...chris has his album to come and i think it'll be great...and there is no band (with the exception of new order) that has reunited and was as good as in the past...

i do not believe that it would work with soundgarden (not just bacause of matt)

chris cornell is not billy corgan ;)
    "now i've got room to spread my wings and my messages of love...yeah love was my drug but that's not what i died of"

"I don't wanna think, I wanna feel"

"Go then, there are other worlds than these!" - Jake Chambers

09/02/2005 Vancouver
    09/23/2006 Berlin
    06/21/2007 Düsseldorf

After what Cornell did to Hunger Strike in Santa Barbara, I would demand NO TOTD songs.
  • VEDHEAD27VEDHEAD27 Posts: 3,091

Let's talk about Chris new solo album now, shall we? May 1st, I can't wait. The first single should be released very soon now, maybe March

You are very welcome. :)
    CORNELL solo = the most anticipated release of the year imo.
    And whoa whoa whoa...NO FUCKIN WAY it's coming out on May 1st!!!
    AHHHH!!! That's my birthday!!!!! :eek:

"Lo√e, you know the word
    ...YOU invented it!" ~ E√

...::STONE--YOU--OWN!::...
    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
  • culot4 wrote:
    After what Cornell did to Hunger Strike in Santa Barbara, I would demand NO TOTD songs.

Okay, in all seriousness, he really DOES still have it in him. Hearing him live doing call me a dog, yeah that was AMAZING and he was spot on. Opinions stand different for both of us and i respect it, but i have faith in Chris and could definitely see it happening. :)
  • VEDHEAD27 wrote:

Talk about a great bday present Lyd! All you'd need is to find out he's playing a show that night right near you! :eek: :D
  • VEDHEAD27 wrote:

No way!!!!!!!!! Thats awesome!!! Awesome present for ya!!! WHOOHOO!
    "Rock and roll is something that can't be quantified, sometimes it's not even something you hear, but FEEL!" - Bob Lefsetz
  • HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,153
    culot4 wrote:

That was a one off......I don't think you will find any vocalist hit those notes today like Chris did on that album. Have you ever heard the boot from the TOTD show at the Off Ramp? It sounds surprisingly similar to the Santa Barbara show.....So ok we take Hunger Strike off the set list there is still a tremendous amount of the catalogue of both SG and TOTD that Chris could perform at a very high level.
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
    there's more info in this MTV article:

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1552582/20070215/audioslave.jhtml

In a statement to the press announcing the imminent release of his sophomore solo album, Carry On, on Thursday (February 15) Chris Cornell confirmed months of rumors by announcing that he has left Audioslave.

"Due to irresolvable personality conflicts as well as musical differences, I am permanently leaving the band Audioslave," he said in a statement. "I wish the other three members" — guitarist Tom Morello, bassist Tim Commerford and drummer Brad Wilk — "nothing but the best in all of their future endeavors."

That was the extent of Cornell's statement regarding his departure. But this afternoon, when MTV News spoke with Cornell about his decision to leave Audioslave, he said he had been thinking about leaving since the band finished recording its last effort, Revelations.

"It was clear to all of us we needed some time apart, and what that produces is anybody's guess," he said. "In my case, it produced a very prolific writing period, and getting back into writing songs on my own, liking what that means — which is sort of a freedom and time to just experiment with music to a degree I kind of like more — and making records that have everything I like about music in them. Audioslave was a very fresh collaboration because it was very much like a young band, where you all write together in a room. But my experience, in terms of songwriting and record-creating, is not like a 19-year-old guy in a rock band. For me to be satisfied, I think I need to be able to be on my own, in the long run."

The announcement comes just two weeks after Rage Against the Machine revealed they would be reuniting for this year's Coachella festival in Indio, California, on April 29, ending seven years of dormancy (see "Rage Against The Machine To Reunite For Coachella Festival"). It also raises speculation as to what the future holds for Rage — and whether a Soundgarden reunion could be in the works.

Rumors of Cornell's departure began last fall, when Audioslave elected not to tour behind last year's Revelations LP.

Earlier this month, Morello told MTV News that, for now, the Rage reunion would be a one-off, adding that his principal focus at the moment is his solo project, the Nightwatchman (see "Nightwatchman, Rage Reunion Have Morello Fired Up For Political Fights").

Morello said at the time that he wasn't sure what would become of Audioslave, saying that "Audioslave is currently not touring on the record" because "Chris [Cornell] did not want to tour. To me, it seems that the world needs songs of rebellion and revolution right now."

Just weeks before Rage were named one of Coachella's headlining acts, Morello demurred when asked by MTV News whether Audioslave was over, saying "[people] have been telling me Audioslave was breaking up for some time now. No new news there." He would not officially describe the band's status.

Cornell's album, which was helmed by producer Steve Lillywhite (U2, Rolling Stones) and is the follow-up to 1999's Euphoria Morning, will be in stores May 1. The LP will contain 14 tracks, including "Safe and Sound," "Scar on the Sky" and a slow-grind cover of Michael Jackson's "Billy Jean."

In July, Cornell denied Audioslave-split rumors, months before the band issued Revelations (see "Chris Cornell Working On Solo LP — But Dismisses Rumors Of Audioslave Split").

Of course, Cornell's since had a serious change of heart. "It hadn't really crossed my mind until a few days ago that I really have no intention of being in this band," he said. "It's been asked before, but it wasn't ever clear in my mind before, and I didn't really see any reason why we couldn't be a band at some point. But now, my feelings are what they are, and I just wanted to get things out on the table and be clear about it."

Cornell said the split was amicable and that, as far as he's concerned, Audioslave is finished, "Unless they want to go find another singer and go make other Audioslave records — then maybe they can have two bands, with a different singer for Rage and a different singer for Audioslave, and they could go on tour and open for each other.

"I certainly don't have any animosity toward them, and I don't think anyone hates me," he continued. "And to be honest, I think those guys getting back and doing some Rage shows is great. I think one of the main reasons why I ever wanted a band like Audioslave was because of seeing Rage in 1996, and I thought they were one of the best live bands I had ever seen. That's why I wanted to do it. The thought of those guys playing shows and maybe becoming a band again I think is a great thing. There were times in Audioslave where I wondered whether those guys missed the visceral nature of the audience response that Rage would get. We had a different experience and a different crowd, but it was so specific to Rage, that kind of world that they were in, that I often wondered if they missed it."

Cornell said that Audioslave will issue a greatest-hits collection with some unreleased material at some point, "because whoever it is we owe it to will say, 'OK, we're going to put that out now,' because that's what labels do." He said he wasn't sure which label the best-of was owed to; the band released records through a partnership between Epic and Interscope.

And when asked about Soundgarden possibly reuniting, Cornell said it was doubtful. "I haven't received any phone calls from anyone in Soundgarden about a reunion since we broke up, nor have I called anyone," he said. "We were happy with how it ended. There was no unfinished business. Soundgarden wasn't a band where we broke up and everyone was like, 'I'm never f---ing talking to you again.' It wasn't like that. We've all talked to each other many times since then. Its something we don't feel we need to do."

"We hear rumors that Audioslave is breaking up all the time," he said. "Even in the beginning, when we were having business problems and we weren't necessarily going to be a band, we were still going to put out a record. We made a record and we loved it. I think that's where it starts — the idea that we sort of started on shaky ground. You would hope that by now, putting out our third record, people wouldn't be thinking that way or be worried about it. But it comes up. I always just ignore it."

For more on Audioslave's historic gig in Cuba, see "History Made and Audio Saved — John Norris Reports From Cuba
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  • well this kinda sucks...

i saw audioslave four times and i had a really good seniority number in their fan club.

but as long as chris cornell keeps releasing music and touring, i'm cool with it. it may even be for the better. i like tom morello as a guitarist, but i think his playing style wears thin after a while due to lack of variation. that's probably why neither of his bands were able to survive past three albums, as amazing as they both were.

oh well. chris cornell's solo album comes out may 1st. euphoria morning is one of my all-time favorite albums, so this is just about the best news ever.
  • mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    Unreleased Audioslave songs? Cool. Cornell tour please (UK especially)
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    culot4 wrote:
    Because Cornell can't sing anymore..

I call bullshit. Chris is a better singer now, then he ever was at any point while he was a member of Soundgarden.
  • ii44 wrote:
    I call bullshit. Chris is a better singer now, then he ever was at any point while he was a member of Soundgarden.
    Wrong as hell.

In 1991-92 Cornell was perhaps the best singer in rock history. 93-96 he was great, Superunknown being one of the best vocal performances on any album by anyone EVER (put temple of the dog on this list too).

Cornell is better now than he's been since his solo tour (which he was QUITE good on). But I don't think anyone can touch his Soundgarden days.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • yosi1yosi1 Posts: 3,272
    Wrong as hell.

In 1991-92 Cornell was perhaps the best singer in rock history. 93-96 he was great, Superunknown being one of the best vocal performances on any album by anyone EVER (put temple of the dog on this list too).

Cornell is better now than he's been since his solo tour (which he was QUITE good on). But I don't think anyone can touch his Soundgarden days.

Um, I think you are overrating Chris Cornell just a bit...
    you couldn't swing if you were hangin' from a palm tree in a hurricane.