124»

Comments

• Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    dunkman wrote:
    why?
    MAXWELL'S SILVER HAMMER

WHEN I'M SIXTY FOUR

ETC!!!
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    He loves him desperately. It's all in Freud. "That which irritates is beautiful." A bit like me with Brian Sewell or Phil Collins. I secretly worship them. ;)
    fuck you :)
    I hate Macca
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    MAXWELL'S SILVER HAMMER

WHEN I'M SIXTY FOUR

ETC!!!

good examples.

dont get me wrong, he had his strong points as well... oh darling, helter skelter. but when you're also writing songs for the album that are even more lame and cheesy than ringo's songs, you're really bringing your overall cool down.
  • By the time Abbey Road rolled around, George Harrison was writing the best Beatles songs.
    I believe the children are our future... unless we stop them now...
    good examples.

dont get me wrong, he had his strong points as well... oh darling, helter skelter. but when you're also writing songs for the album that are even more lame and cheesy than ringo's songs, you're really bringing your overall cool down.
    Exactly :) As far as I'm concerned, Macca's ballads were great. Let it Be is beautiful. Problem is, he was more concerned with his twee, whimsical pop ditties and he couldn't pull them off. Lennon and even Ringo were better at that. I would take Octopus' Garden over half of McCartney's later output anyday.
  • Jerzdevil wrote:
    By the time Abbey Road rolled around, George Harrison was writing the best Beatles songs.

Nah, he's overrated. I prefer Octopus's Garden to Something. :D
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Exactly :) As far as I'm concerned, Macca's ballads were great. Let it Be is beautiful. Problem is, he was more concerned with his twee, whimsical pop ditties and he couldn't pull them off. Lennon and even Ringo were better at that. I would take Octopus' Garden over half of McCartney's later output anyday.

same here. i'd also take 'dont pass me by' over ob la di.
  • Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da was a bit of cod-calypso just as rock steady, bluebeat and ska were starting to break into the mainstream in British music. I think Paul was trying to pay homage to Caribbean music, but he fucked up.
    Obla Di Obla Da was a bit of cod-calypso just as rock steady, bluebeat and ska were starting to break into the mainstream in British music. I think Paul was trying to pay homage to Caribbean music, but he fucked up.

the point is, he seemed to be fucking up a lot in the later days, about 50% of his songs failed in execution and came off as incredibly cheesy and saccharine. even ringo's songs were better. by the end, paul was as much a parody as elvis in vegas. you could almost see him in a sequined suit on a vegas stage grinning with a line of dancers behind him as he put on a family friendly show sponsored by disney.
    Ob-La-Di Ob-La-Da was a bit of cod-calypso just as rock steady, bluebeat and ska were starting to break into the mainstream in British music. I think Paul was trying to pay homage to Caribbean music, but he fucked up.
    That was Paul's problem. He was too earnest with his musical knowledge. No one wants too hear whiteboy scouse calypso music. He lost the fucking plot in about 1966 and never regained it. He is tragic.
  • the point is, he seemed to be fucking up a lot in the later days, about 50% of his songs failed in execution and came off as incredibly cheesy and saccharine. even ringo's songs were better. by the end, paul was as much a parody as elvis in vegas. you could almost see him in a sequined suit on a vegas stage grinning with a line of dancers behind him as he put on a family friendly show sponsored by disney.

Nah, John was worse. Have you heard Mind Games, side two?

that wasn't a beatles album, was it? john was by no means perfect, paul just became incredibly lame by the end of the beatles.
    Have you seen the artwork of Ram?

*vomits, then chokes on vomit, then curses McCartney for causing such a pathetic and unnecessary death*
  • that wasn't a beatles album, was it? john was by no means perfect, paul just became incredibly lame by the end of the beatles.

Lady Madonna, lame? Hey Jude, lame? Back in the USSR, lame? Martha My Dear, lame? (It's light and about a dog, but it's not lame.) Blackbird, lame? Rocky Raccoon, lame? I Will, lame? Birthday, lame? Mother Nature's Son, lame? Helter Skelter, lame? Two of Us, lame? Let It Be, lame? Get Back, lame? The Long and Winding Road, lame? You Never Give Me Your Money, lame? Golden Slumbers, Lame? Carry That Weight, lame? The End, lame? Her Majesty, lame? (Okay, I got carried away with the last one.)
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    Have you seen the artwork of Ram?

*vomits, then chokes on vomit, then curses McCartney for causing such a pathetic and unnecessary death*

It was an anti-prog album statement, maaaaaaaan.
    Lady Madonna, lame? Hey Jude, lame? Back in the USSR, lame? Martha My Dear, lame? (It's light and about a dog, but it's not lame.) Blackbird, lame? Rocky Raccoon, lame? I Will, lame? Birthday, lame? Mother Nature's Son, lame? Helter Skelter, lame? Two of Us, lame? Let It Be, lame? Get Back, lame? The Long and Winding Road, lame? You Never Give Me Your Money, lame? Golden Slumbers, Lame? Carry That Weight, lame? The End, lame? Her Majesty, lame? (Okay, I got carried away with the last one.)
    Hey Jude is the worst song ever.
    As for the rest, fair enough.
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:

You're joking.
  • BrezBrez Posts: 570
    Your friend is absolutely right. Owe it all to the Beatles.
    And before his first step... He's off again...
    Martha My Dear, lame? (It's light and about a dog, but it's not lame.) Rocky Raccon, lame? I Will, lame? Mother Nature's Son, lame?The Long and Winding Road, lame? Her Majesty, lame? (Okay, I got carried away with the last one.)

yes to those (though i really like rocky raccon, it's the only kinda corny paul song i really dig, but it's still corny). plus the ones already mentioned. plus others. im not saying he didnt write a lot of great songs. im not saying his contributions to the beatles were negligible. im not even saying his best work wasnt better than john's. im just saying he's also responsible for the absolute worst, cheesiest, cornyball songs they ever produced, even above and beyond ringo. his best work may be slightly better than john's, but his worst stuff is light years worse than john's.
  • Stones are better
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Jeremy1012 wrote:

:D

worst critique ever :D
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • glasshouseglasshouse Posts: 1,762
    the Beatles will always be regarded as the most important band, just as Nirvana will always be considered more important than Pearl Jam. life is tough.

i prefer Led Zeppelin and Bob Dylan to the Beatles.
    i don't like Nirvana at all.

ain't going to change nothing though.
    Athens, Greece: 2006/09/30

"Call me Ishmael. Some years ago- never mind how long precisely- having little or no money in my purse, and nothing particular to interest me on shore, I thought I would sail about a little and see the watery part of the world." Herman Melville : Moby Dick
    You're joking.
    Nope :) well... maybe not the absolute worst. McCartney has worse. I hate it though. It's certainly the most unnecessarily praised song ever :D It's SO bad.
  • yes to those (though i really like rocky raccon, it's the only kinda corny paul song i really dig, but it's still corny). plus the ones already mentioned. plus others. im not saying he didnt write a lot of great songs. im not saying his contributions to the beatles were negligible. im not even saying his best work wasnt better than john's. im just saying he's also responsible for the absolute worst, cheesiest, cornyball songs they ever produced, even above and beyond ringo. his best work may be slightly better than john's, but his worst stuff is light years worse than john's.

I dunno. I'd take Maxwell's Silver Hammer over Sun King, any day.
    I dunno. I'd take Maxwell's Silver Hammer over Sun King, any day.

fair enough. im not a huge fan of sun king. but it bores me. ill take a song that just bores me over one that is so annoying it makes me question the beatles in general.
    fair enough. im not a huge fan of sun king. but it bores me. ill take a song that just bores me over one that is so annoying it makes me question the beatles in general.
    Quoted for emphasis.