Smashing Pumpkins - Zeitgeist

edited July 2008 in Other Music
does anyone else think this is their second best album? I always loved the guitar driven albums like Siamese Dream, and pretty much stopped listening to them when they got into industrial/electronic crap. it was nice to hear them get back to the old sound.

apparently, i'm in the minority on this?

I only recently started listening to this one, and it got me back into Smashing Pumpkins.

oh and the last 15 seconds of starz is FUCKING HARD!
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    The vocals are terrible on this album. Love most of the instrumentation as usual though.
  • danny72688 wrote:
    The vocals are terrible on this album. Love most of the instrumentation as usual though.
    its Corgan though! not exactly a great singer, heheh. i kinda expect terrible vocals from them. They are the Rush of the 90s.
  • prytocorduroyprytocorduroy Posts: 4,355
    MrSmith wrote:
    its Corgan though! not exactly a great singer, heheh. i kinda expect terrible vocals from them. They are the Rush of the 90s.
    I'd give that to Primus ;)

I think he sounds good on pretty much all the studio work up until MACHINA II, then it started getting iffy. It's like he's overproducing and layering it on purpose, but I don't like it! Tarantula and Bleeding the Orchid are very good.
  • Brisk.Brisk. Posts: 11,558
    Not a fan of it in the studio, but live its really good. Ive pretty much heard all the songs live and i think they are all cool.

Like stars is horrible on studio but great live!
  • evenflow524evenflow524 Posts: 128
    This album is totally brilliant imo. I loved it and bought both the Target and Best Buy version (which was annoying but worth it for the extra tracks/dvd) I think it was def a return to the Pumpkins of old ie Gish, Siamese Dream, Mellon Collie and it was refreshing to hear on a whole. Also so them at the Orpheum in Boston touring this and it was hands down the best show I have ever been to (and Pearl Jam is my favorite band of all time and I have seen them 3x) Billy Corgan doesnt get enough credit for his guitar playing and I think his vocals are amazing. He also has some of the coolest lyrics ever. I cant wait to see them again and look forward to the new album in early 09'
    5/24/06 Boston, 6/28/08 & 6/30/08 Mansfield
  • intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    i would not say it is their second best album but it is better then some give it credit for. Very strong rock album that i enjoy
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Brain Of EBrain Of E Posts: 499
    yea, pretty solid record all they way through, and yes I guess I would say it's their second best next to Siamese Dream. This is only because I never listen to any of their other albums completely.
    Down in the hole, Jesus tries to crack a smile beneath another shovel load.
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    I'd call it their worst. It's a disaster from start to finish.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • boroff89 wrote:
    I'd call it their worst. It's a disaster from start to finish.

Yep. And it's probably the least memorable of the bunch as well. It's 2007's trash bin album of the year.
    They say I'm rappin like BIG, jay, and tupac
    Andre 3000 where is eryka badu at
    Who dat
    Who dat said dey gon beat lil wayne
    My name ain't Bic but I keep dat flame man

2008 CHICAGO CUBS MAGIC NUMBER = 62

BEAR DOWN!!!!!
  • why though?
  • pjoasisrulepjoasisrule Posts: 3,412
    By far their worst. Everything about this album is bad.
    Alpine Valley 2000
    Summerfest 2006

"Why would they come to our concert just to boo us?" -Lisa Simpson
  • Edved82Edved82 Posts: 1,279
    By far their worst. Everything about this album is bad.

Can you give us a reason for that? Fair enough if thats your opinion, but I think there's lots about Zeitgeist that make it a worthwhile release. Doomsday Clock, Bleeding the Orchid, Tarantula, JC's drumming for example. Strong overall album i reckon.
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    I like it. I dont understand how anyone cant like "Bleeding The Orchid". Doomsday Clock, Bleeding The Orchid, United States, and For God and Country are the best songs IMO. But I will admit some of the songs are just Ehhhh.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • boroff89boroff89 Posts: 786
    edved82 wrote:
    Can you give us a reason for that? Fair enough if thats your opinion, but I think there's lots about Zeitgeist that make it a worthwhile release. Doomsday Clock, Bleeding the Orchid, Tarantula, JC's drumming for example. Strong overall album i reckon.

Stop the presses, because I am agreeing with pjoasisrule. Zeitgeist was atrocious. The songs are passionless, unimpressive, and lack any of the magic that once made Smashing Pumpkins a great band. This was covered at length when the album came out by a huge number of people on this board and by external reviewers. Frankly, I found Billy calling this a Smashing Pumpkins album absurd and a pure money grab. It sounded far too much like his joke of a solo album, and with half of the Pumpkins not participating, Zeitgeist was really just another Corgan solo album.
    It makes much more sense to live in the present tense.
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    One of the most disappointing and pointless albums I've ever bought.....

It doesn't deserve to be called a Smashing Pumpkins album, it doesn't come close to the genius of Siamese Dream or the etheral beauty of Adore.....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • well i like it!
  • ok i get thta the lyrics are kinda goofy, and its nothing groundbreaking, but viewing it as a silly metal album and not an album that takes itself seriously, its pretty fucking awesome. the music is great.
  • evenflow524evenflow524 Posts: 128
    boroff89 wrote:
    Stop the presses, because I am agreeing with pjoasisrule. Zeitgeist was atrocious. The songs are passionless, unimpressive, and lack any of the magic that once made Smashing Pumpkins a great band. This was covered at length when the album came out by a huge number of people on this board and by external reviewers. Frankly, I found Billy calling this a Smashing Pumpkins album absurd and a pure money grab. It sounded far too much like his joke of a solo album, and with half of the Pumpkins not participating, Zeitgeist was really just another Corgan solo album.
    For the record, Billy and Jimmy were the only ones who really played on the albums anyways. James and Darcey were mostly just the for touring sake cause Billy did all the guitar and Bass on Siamese Dream. He's a control freak like Trent Reznor but I think they are both brilliant musicans
    5/24/06 Boston, 6/28/08 & 6/30/08 Mansfield
  • Sonic19Sonic19 Posts: 159
    I enjoyed it a pretty decent amount. I love the stretch of Thats the way, Tarantula and Starz. I could see how the older fans wouldn't like it as much though.
    Stay positive and love your life
    Hooray Florida shows
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    It's not very good. I know this sounds pedantic but the production is kind of shitty. Tarantula is good, and I've got a soft spot for wankfest United States.

They've still only made three good albums, IMO.
  • lalalalaaaaaaaalalalalaaaaaaaa Posts: 2,445
    danny72688 wrote:
    The vocals are terrible on this album.
    Yea, that pretty much ruined it for me too...I like a couple tunes on there, but oooooooooof!!...bad bad vocals.
  • The production is HORRIBLE. The lyrics are trite. Where the hell are the guitar solos?

Unlike the majority or the Pumpkins music, it isn't epic, memorable, or has a real single on it at all.

It's like Zwan trying to be the Pumpkins and failing horribly.
    Who dat

BEAR DOWN!!!!!
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    I don't get the big issue about the vocals, what is it that's so bad? It just sounds like Billy Corgan to me - and singing has never been his strongest point.

I don't think the album is that bad, it has a handfull of very solid songs and a few filler songs. It's nowhere near as bad as some people make out.
  • I don't get the big issue about the vocals, what is it that's so bad? It just sounds like Billy Corgan to me - and singing has never been his strongest point.

I don't think the album is that bad, it has a handfull of very solid songs and a few filler songs. It's nowhere near as bad as some people make out.

Vocals in terms of production. I don't need 70 backing vocals of Corgan singing louder than the guitar.
    Who dat

BEAR DOWN!!!!!
  • Vocals in terms of production. I don't need 70 backing vocals of Corgan singing louder than the guitar.
    i still dont get it. its Billy Corgan singing on a Smashing Pumpkins album. that means: massive amounts of production and layering of his voice, which is grating even on their best albums.

i cant hear any real differences in terms of production or his voice between Zeitgeist and Siamese Dream (but dont get me wrong, Siamese Dream is still much better!). Everybody knows Billy is a production freak.
    MrSmith wrote:
    i still dont get it. its Billy Corgan singing on a Smashing Pumpkins album. that means: massive amounts of production and layering of his voice, which is grating even on their best albums.

i cant hear any real differences in terms of production or his voice between Zeitgeist and Siamese Dream (but dont get me wrong, Siamese Dream is still much better!). Everybody knows Billy is a production freak.

Yeah I agree totally.
  • MrSmith wrote:

But the production is horrible. The guitars sound flat and wooden, the drums have far too much compression on them.

It's no where near the production of the lush and full Pumpkins albums of the '90s.

And the lead guitar is missing those crazy Iha leads.
    Who dat

BEAR DOWN!!!!!
    And the lead guitar is missing those crazy Iha leads.

Iha's crazy leads that Billy played?! :p
  • ... but is it really THAT bad?

Yes the production sucks, but go see the songs live. Starz rocks live, United States is great live (if he doesn't turn it into an epic shred fest), Bleeding The Orchid is killer, the album comes across much better live hands down.

I'd say the glaring difference between this and other Pumpkins albums is the lyrics, they definately aren't on the same level as Mellon Collie or Siamese Dream.

Consider this, what if it was a new band, their first record... does the album still suck then? I don't think so.
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,184
    ... but is it really THAT bad?

Yes the production sucks, but go see the songs live. Starz rocks live, United States is great live (if he doesn't turn it into an epic shred fest), Bleeding The Orchid is killer, the album comes across much better live hands down.

I'd say the glaring difference between this and other Pumpkins albums is the lyrics, they definately aren't on the same level as Mellon Collie or Siamese Dream.

Consider this, what if it was a new band, their first record... does the album still suck then? I don't think so.

This album was the first album I bought of theirs and I absolutely loved itand still love it. Even better live, saw them at the 930 Club and what a show. I'm now going backwards starting with the first SD on up.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)