Options

RHCP is OVERATED THREAD!!!!!

GrungebloodGrungeblood Posts: 64
edited April 2006 in Other Music
Who else thinks this band is overated? I used to be fan but then I realized there was nothing that special about them. Flea is great at bass and john is pretty good on guitar but that is about it. They have some good songs but overall i think there sell outs and overated. P.S. Chad Smith sucks
"I write a letter to a friend of mine
I tell him how much I used to love watch him smile
See I haven't seen him smile in a little while
Haven't seen him smile in a little while
But, I know you're laughing from the inside out."
Blind Melon - Mouthfull of cavities
R.I.P. JEN
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    EBowieEBowie Posts: 529
    Absurd!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    transplanttransplant Posts: 1,088
    not me, however you will find plenty of company here.
  • Options
    Oh, JimmyOh, Jimmy Posts: 957
    Am I #2? Sweet. If they were Milton from Office Space, somebody should definitely take their stapler and move them to the basement.
  • Options
    they are the most overrated band of all time.
    I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal. But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existance either.
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,117
    You guys are crazy! RHCP are badass!!

I am a proud RHCP fan!!!
  • Options
    reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    RHCP are overrated yes, but I'm still a fan, they created there own style back in the 80's and while thats mellowed out and become as some would describe MTV friendly I still enjoy the music they make, sure it's not as innovative or as ground breaking as it once was but hey you cant have everything.
    Chad Smith does not suck, he is a very talented and capable drummer listen to Glenn Hughes - Soulmover album, BSSM, Mothers Milk or any Chilis album with him on he is solid.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Options
    E.BloomE.Bloom Posts: 188
    Who else thinks this band is overated? I used to be fan but then I realized there was nothing that special about them. Flea is great at bass and john is pretty good on guitar but that is about it. They have some good songs but overall i think there sell outs and overated. P.S. Chad Smith sucks

Agreed....
    we were but stones,your light made us stars

Dublin 06
    London 07
  • Options
    LaloLalo Posts: 6
    yeah rchp is very overrated
    "My dad says Pearl Jam fans are better than french fries". Matt´s son - Raymond Cameron

2003 - 07 - 17 Mexico City
    2003 - 07 - 18 Mexico City
    2003 - 07 - 19 Mexico City

2005 - 12 - 09 Mexico City
  • Options
    EchoesEchoes Posts: 1,279
    I agree but I think you all already knew that
    printf("shiver in eternal darkness\n");
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I will always think blood sugar sex magik is a cool album. I think one hot minute was terrible. Califonication had songs i enjoyed, but then by the way or whatever the next album was was just more of the same. I have a feeling the new double disc will have a similar formula.

I am ignorant to the older albums so i won't comment on them.
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    upina2001upina2001 Indiana Posts: 764
    Did someone say, "California", again???

Toledo, Ohio (September 22, 1996), East Troy, Wisconsin (June 26, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 17, 1998), Noblesville, Indiana (August 18, 2000), Cincinnati, Ohio (August 20, 2000), Columbus, Ohio (August 21, 2000), Nashville, Tennessee (April 18, 2003), Champaign, Illinois (April 23, 2003), Noblesville, Indiana (June 22, 2003), Chicago, Illinois (May 16, 2006), Chicago, Illinois (August 05, 2007), West Palm Beach, Florida (June 11, 2008), Tampa, Florida (June 12, 2008), Columbus, OH (May 06, 2010), Noblesville, Indiana (May 07, 2010), Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013), US Bank Arena (October 01, 2014), Lexington (April 26, 2016), Chicago Night 2 (August 20, 2018), Boston Night 1 (September 02, 2018), Nashville (September 16, 2022), St. Louis (September 18, 2022)

• Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,443
    I grew up in L.A. in the 80s, and seeing them live used to be such a funky time....all of the albums up until and including BSSM were great.

They were my favorite live band.

THEN

They stopped doing a lot of old stuff live......I saw them at a benefit show last summer (which bands usually use a a good excuse to play oldies and non-hits), but they did their same old recent set...."Give It Away" was the only oldie they did (though 1991 may not qualify as oldie territory).

I am happy for their success (Anthony and Flea went to my high school), and I know they gotta keep the masses happy, but to me, they have lost their appeal.
  • Options
    "Dani California" isn't that great...sound typical, like it left off from By The Way.

I love Californication though, hands down, one of the greatest albums ever. Their earlier stuff- eh, some is good, some is just bad. Overrated yes, but I will still see them when they come to Fresno..would never travel far for them
    10/31/99, 10/27/00, 06/01/03, 10/25/03, 07/07/06, 07/09/06, 07/15/06

Even Flow PSYCHO member #0020!!
    myspace.com/takingpunches
  • Options
    theyre "ok"
    nothing super special. they keep writing hits...but i dont think theyre that great.
    www.TheRopolitans.com
  • Options
    Clifwith1fClifwith1f Posts: 143
    I agree. I like a couple of their songs, but I think they're WAY overrated.
  • Options
    they suck, compared to my favorite bands I think (Pearl Jam, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, and Death Cab for Cutie!)
    Just give up, take your glowsticks. This aint a disco
    -Mike McCready Live at the Eagles Ballroom

"Look through me because I am a transparent...."
    "It's a World Wide KittyCide"
  • Options
    bluemonkeybluemonkey Posts: 198
    the peppers aren't overrated,but spelling overrated wrong is overrated.
  • Options
    The Waiting Trophy ManThe Waiting Trophy Man Niagara region, Ontario, Canada Posts: 12,158
    what hits?
    Another habit says it's in love with you
    Another habit says its long overdue
    Another habit like an unwanted friend
    I'm so happy with my righteous self
  • Options
    aBoxOfFear wrote:
    what hits?

ahaha I get it. Noiiiice
    Just give up, take your glowsticks. This aint a disco
    -Mike McCready Live at the Eagles Ballroom

"Look through me because I am a transparent...."
    "It's a World Wide KittyCide"
  • Options
    I like 'em.
    The poster formerly known as AeonFlux.
  • Options
    They're good. Obviously have a ton of talent. (Most of it resides in John and Flea)

I just hope their new records has a message...something beyond character stories. I want to hear the RHCP make a statement.
    http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?p=2848604&posted=1#post2848604

The First Casualties Of WorldWideSuicide.....Viva La Pearl Jam!
  • Options
    bobasfeetbobasfeet Posts: 1,072
    They're just another flavor in the popsicle box.
  • Options
    lumpyfredlumpyfred Posts: 243
    Not a fan of Dani California (yet, there's room for change), but I think they are extremely talented. By The Way, Californication and BSSM were great albums in my opinion. That said, I really cant listen to them repeatedly or for a long time. I dont know why, but I seem to get sick of them pretty fast, and not because I dont think they are overrated or untalented but because I just do. Thats all there is to it.
    Her?
  • Options
    bluemonkeybluemonkey Posts: 198
    They're good. Obviously have a ton of talent. (Most of it resides in John and Flea)

I just hope their new records has a message...something beyond character stories. I want to hear the RHCP make a statement.
    some of you guys have to get over songs having to be all "deep"...can't a song just be catchy,and can't you just enjoy that once in a while?!?
  • Options
    civ_eng_girlciv_eng_girl Posts: 2,001
    upina2001 wrote:
    Did someone say, "California", again???

LOL!!!

That is exactly what I was thinking as soon as i heard the new song....

I like RHCP, but let's get some new topics for songs, huh? :rolleyes:
    ~~*~~ ...i surfaced and all of my being was enlightend... ~~*~~
  • Options
    chris01chris01 Posts: 559
    Another 'Insert band name here... is over-rated thread'.

If you dont like them dont listen to them, if you hear them on the radio turn the radio off.... its as simple as that folks.
    I do that for bands i dont like and i dont have to start a hate thread about them.

Everyone is intitled to their own opinion of course but seriously... are you that bored?
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    ok... anthony kiedis sucks but listen to 80s chilis and then say that the BAND is overrated. They are musically one of the best bands in history. If you see footage from Mother's milk-era live concerts, you will realise they are UNDERRATED as musicians. The average person knows some of BSSM and then californication and by the way. I assume this is the same for you if you think their is "nothing special about them"

Ps, kiedis really does suck...
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    ok... anthony kiedis sucks but listen to 80s chilis and then say that the BAND is overrated. They are musically one of the best bands in history. If you see footage from Mother's milk-era live concerts, you will realise they are UNDERRATED as musicians. The average person knows some of BSSM and then californication and by the way. I assume this is the same for you if you think their is "nothing special about them"

Ps, kiedis really does suck...
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
  • Options
    RHCP are one of the best acts out right now. They bring out music that is funky and different from what is out but still appealing to the masses. Flea is the best bass player out of all the major acts (there are alot better most peope just don't them) and John has great riffs and his backups are amazing. Chad Smith is always constantly on top of his game and never seems to make a mistake. Anthony is getting better and better vocally as time goes by and he has very creative and sometimes humorous lyrics. And they always put on a great live show, just go watch live at Slain Castle
    "Being undecided...it's dangerous. And I'll give you a perfect example: people with mullets, that's indecision."-EV

9/28/05-PNC
    5/30/06-DC
    6/23/06-Pittsburgh
  • Options
    sadprofessorsadprofessor Posts: 1,033
    Change this to RHCP went to hell thread and maybe I will pay attention to it.
    The Man has a branch office in each of our brains, his corporate emblem is a white albatross, each local rep has a cover known as the Ego, and their mission in this world is Bad Shit.