Just heard Cornell/Timbaland

13»

Comments

• Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    Wow.....that was fuckin' awful
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • WindNoSailWindNoSail Posts: 580
    Has anyone noticed that Cornell has a really fabulous rock voice that frankly I don't hear anywhere unless I dial up PJ on my ipod or go half way cross the country to see a show. Not to mention is a songwriter too.

I am not so sure its a bad thing for CC to go solo and do his thing however he wants, cause he honestly has really never disappointed me musically. I even think his solo stuff is pretty decent.

Who knows, maybe its all a trick to retintroduce talent into an industry that has very little...just a thought
    HOB 10.05.2005, E Rutherford 06.03.2006, The Gorge 07.22.2006, Lolla 08.05.2007, West Palm 06.11.2008, Tampa 06.12.2008, Columbia 06.16.2008, EV Memphis 06.20.2009, New Orleans 05.01.2010, Kansas City 05.03.2010
  • just a thought.

i am all for artists trying things out and growing, etc

look at mark lanegan. been in a seminal 90s band. joined a supergroup with queens of the stone age, released lots of good solo albums. like cornell, who was in soundgarden, temple of the dog, then audioslave, with a promising solo career.

both play great live shows, in different ways.

lately, Lanegan sang on the soulsavers record, a great record, unlike something he has done before. then there are the two albums with isobel campbell. and the gutter twins stuff...plus lots of other guest appearances. Cornell releases carry on, then this collaboration with timberland.

lanegan whores out his voice because he is an excellent singer. cornell is playing the fame game and his music is suffering for it.
  • Cropduster84Cropduster84 Posts: 1,283
    just a thought.

look at mark lanegan. been in a seminal 90s band. joined a supergroup with queens of the stone age, released lots of good solo albums. like cornell, who was in soundgarden, temple of the dog, then audioslave, with a promising solo career.

lately, Lanegan sang on the soulsavers record, a great record, unlike something he has done before. then there are the two albums with isobel campbell. and the gutter twins stuff...plus lots of other guest appearances. Cornell releases carry on, then this collaboration with timberland.

lanegan whores out his voice because he is an excellent singer. cornell is playing the fame game and his music is suffering for it.

I agree with this.....

I'm all for artists trying different stuff and branching out, Lanegan being a fine, fine example.....

Cornell however....man how the mighty have fallen....
    'The more I studied religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself.' - Sir Richard Francis Burton
  • reeferchiefreeferchief Posts: 3,569
    just a thought.

Lanegan is awesome, everything he touches turns to gold.
    Can not be arsed with life no more.
  • Marie CurieMarie Curie Posts: 1,250
    I agree with this.....

I'm all for artists trying different stuff and branching out, Lanegan being a fine, fine example.....

Cornell however....man how the mighty have fallen....

Exactly, Lanegan would never pull out something like this.
    “Life is life everywhere. Life is in ourselves and not outside us. There will be men beside me, and the important thing is to be a man among men and to remain a man always, whatever the misfortunes, not to despair and not to fall - that is the aim of life, that is its purpose.”
    Fyodor Dostoyevsky
  • rycho wrote:
    I don't understand people, who say, that if somebody doesn't like it, he's just narrow minded. As for me, I am totally for breaking new grounds by rock musicians, and I love when they use a lot of beats/electronics. Like Radiohead in 'Idioteque', or NIN. But this song is just nothing innovate. It sounds exactly like Timbaland's Nelly Furtado/Pyssycat Dolls/Timberlake music, just with Cornell's vocals. You want him to sound like everything else out there? It's almost like being in Nickelback or Bon Jovi, but at least they copy themselves, and not some pop crap.

You've heard like 10 seconds of music that may or may not be on his disc. You have no idea what the new music will sound like. I'll be surprised if it sounds that similar to a Timberlake album. But possibly Cornell likes that kind of music, and he did something good with it. Cornell said he's never heard music that sounds like this new stuff he and Timbaland created. We'll see how this all works out. And for those saying they are dissappointed about his new direction: I have no idea why you would be so hung up on HIS work. Just like what you like. He may return to the style he's famous for or he may not. Neil Young, Robert Plant, David Bowie have all had "experimental, pop" albums that deviated drastically from the style that made them famous. And each of those have moved in other various directions since then. Cornell certainly has as much talent as those three. He may do a Brazillian Jazz album next. You'll like some of it and some of it you may not. I hope this Timbaland album reaches its fullest potential and is as good as Timbaland says it is. I like the last Justin Timberlake album alot. But if I don't like this album or anything he does from now on... oh fucking well. Its not about Chris Cornell or David Bowie or Neil Young; its about the music I like. He still has made the best rock albums of all time. And as long as he plays songs like he did this last tour, I'll be there.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • see the problem with your argument is that you said 'like'

i love cornell's music and a lot of his and other people's music got me through/remind me of certain times, so I have an emotional attachment to it, the music has a place in my life.

so cornell putting out what initially sounds to me like derivative crap is upsetting. Though I do appreciate that this is v v v minor in the grand scheme of things...
  • wow, fucking atrocious shit.

whats innovative about it? didnt Nelly Furtado do this last year?
  • You've heard like 10 seconds of music that may or may not be on his disc. You have no idea what the new music will sound like. I'll be surprised if it sounds that similar to a Timberlake album. But possibly Cornell likes that kind of music, and he did something good with it. Cornell said he's never heard music that sounds like this new stuff he and Timbaland created. We'll see how this all works out. And for those saying they are dissappointed about his new direction: I have no idea why you would be so hung up on HIS work. Just like what you like. He may return to the style he's famous for or he may not. Neil Young, Robert Plant, David Bowie have all had "experimental, pop" albums that deviated drastically from the style that made them famous. And each of those have moved in other various directions since then. Cornell certainly has as much talent as those three. He may do a Brazillian Jazz album next. You'll like some of it and some of it you may not. I hope this Timbaland album reaches its fullest potential and is as good as Timbaland says it is. I like the last Justin Timberlake album alot. But if I don't like this album or anything he does from now on... oh fucking well. Its not about Chris Cornell or David Bowie or Neil Young; its about the music I like. He still has made the best rock albums of all time. And as long as he plays songs like he did this last tour, I'll be there.

That's all well and good, but I haven't said a thing about abandoning the rest of Chris Cornell's work, before or after this... "experiment". All I'm saying is that if the music in the ad, and the ringtone that's been posted, are any indication of what we can expect from this album, it's not something I'll be interested in.

As for the Lanegan comparison... I dunno. Lanegan never seemed to turn to the most "popular" thing out there. QOTSA hadn't broken big when he jumped on board, no one had heard of the Soulsavers when he made that album, and Isobel Campbell isn't exactly a global superstar. Lanegan always seems to be mainly about the art. When I see what Cornell is doing, all I see is "attempt to stay relevant". Which is fine, just not something I'll be buying into.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • PlantPage55PlantPage55 Posts: 136
    No! That Bitch Ain't A Part Of Me!!!!
    Are we getting something out of this all-encompassing trip?
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    sadly when i saw chuck negron (former lead singer of three dog night) perform with with blood, sweat, and tears last summer at some cheesy suburban summer festival i thought to myself... that will be chris cornell when hes that age... fake orange tan, bleach white teeth, "trendy" clothes, poofy hair

http://pictopia.com/perl/get_image?provider_id=448&size=550x550_mb&ptp_photo_id=1911644

he has the chance to remain completely relevant and legendary in the eyes of a very loyal fanbase... why does he need anything more??
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • facepollutionfacepollution Posts: 6,834
    You've heard like 10 seconds of music that may or may not be on his disc. You have no idea what the new music will sound like. I'll be surprised if it sounds that similar to a Timberlake album. But possibly Cornell likes that kind of music, and he did something good with it. Cornell said he's never heard music that sounds like this new stuff he and Timbaland created. We'll see how this all works out. And for those saying they are dissappointed about his new direction: I have no idea why you would be so hung up on HIS work. Just like what you like. He may return to the style he's famous for or he may not. Neil Young, Robert Plant, David Bowie have all had "experimental, pop" albums that deviated drastically from the style that made them famous. And each of those have moved in other various directions since then. Cornell certainly has as much talent as those three. He may do a Brazillian Jazz album next. You'll like some of it and some of it you may not. I hope this Timbaland album reaches its fullest potential and is as good as Timbaland says it is. I like the last Justin Timberlake album alot. But if I don't like this album or anything he does from now on... oh fucking well. Its not about Chris Cornell or David Bowie or Neil Young; its about the music I like. He still has made the best rock albums of all time. And as long as he plays songs like he did this last tour, I'll be there.

Thank you. I can't believe 20 seconds of music has gotten people so fucking hysterical. People are of course entitled to their opinion, but since when was 20 seconds of music enough for any reasonable judgement? I can't say I'm exactly enamored by that clip, but I have the good sense to reserve judgement before I start throwing out all these ridiculous accusations of selling out, money-grabbing, being desperate to stay relevant etc. It's not like he hasn't explored rock music - the guy has been cranking rock albums out for twenty years, he's earned the right to try something new. Even if it turns out shit, and he falls on his face, so what? The earth won't stop spinning. Having gone through ups and downs in his career, I'm sure he will pick himself up and keep going.

The problem when you've been in the business that long, and have experimented with so many different styles, is that different people expect different things, so you're never going to please everyone. Some people would love to hear him return to the heavy and complex sounds of Soundgarden, whilst others would love him to revisit the bluesy sound of TOTD. Personally, I would love to hear him do an acoustic album in the vein of Springsteen's Nebraska. But alas, we can only second guess what he will come up with next; and given the amazing music has has made in the past, I think he at least deserves a chance to try something different.

Oh and before anyone accuses me of being a Cornell fan-boy, I was more than vocal about how poor I thought Carry On was - so there :p
    selling out, money-grabbing, being desperate to stay relevant etc.
    sadly all those things have been proven prior to this clip or album :(

and i am a Cornell fan boy

sgossard3 wrote:
    sadly all those things have been proven prior to this clip or album :(

and i am a Cornell fan boy

"Proven"? - well not in my eyes they haven't. Selling out would have been staying in Audioslave or Soundgarden making money from records that his heart wasn't in. The guy has sold millions of records world wide, so the chances of him actually giving a shit about money are slim. In terms of staying relevant, he's recently toured extensively , selling out everywhere he went - I think he will always be relevant to some extent, becasue he has a huge fan base. Trying something completely new, does not mean he's grasping at straws, it means he's bored with making traditional rock music - and there's nothing wrong with that.
  • Jeremy1012Jeremy1012 Posts: 7,170
    ugh, come on people. I don't think that clip sounds good at all, it doesn't but to say that this is Chris selling out is laughable. It's the first daring move he has made in his career for ages. Besides, what did he have left to sell out? Christ. Let's list the actions Mr Cornell has made prior to this that could conceivably be called sell-out moves.

1) Move from an independent label to a major way back in 1989 (this is the big one. always guaranteed to lose hardcore fans and piss people off)

2) Appearing in a Cameron Crowe film in 1991 which shamelessly capitalised on a burgeoning music scene by building a romcom around it.

3) Opening for Guns N' Roses on the Use Your Illusion tour which, as we all know, was an overblown, self-indulgent shambles

4) Audioslave ;)

5) The Bond theme

6) Carry On. Simply a bland, soulless album.

This is neither a supportive or attacking comment on Cornell from me. I'm just pointing out that, if this is a shallow, moneygrabbing move, what's new? The fanboys seem to have overlooked a lot in the past. I personally think it's a positive step for Chris and good on him. I doubt very much anything he makes with Timbaland will interest me but kudos to him for doing something different rather than soldiering on with the dull blustering ego-rock of Audioslave or going further down the Carry On road. Just don't make out like he has been whiter than white up til this point. He's not yours to own. You don't get to decide which of his decisions are sincere or not when it suits you.
    "I remember one night at Muzdalifa with nothing but the sky overhead, I lay awake amid sleeping Muslim brothers and I learned that pilgrims from every land — every colour, and class, and rank; high officials and the beggar alike — all snored in the same language"
    Jeremy1012 wrote:
    You don't get to decide which of his decisions are sincere or not when it suits you.

Yep, that pretty much sums it up. I'm the first to admit that I take music a bit too seriously at times, but sometimes you really do have to say: it's just music. I've also stopped setting such ridiculously high expectations of my favourite artists, becasue ultimately they will always let you down.
    "Proven"? - well not in my eyes they haven't. Selling out would have been staying in Audioslave or Soundgarden making money from records that his heart wasn't in. The guy has sold millions of records world wide, so the chances of him actually giving a shit about money are slim. In terms of staying relevant, he's recently toured extensively , selling out everywhere he went - I think he will always be relevant to some extent, becasue he has a huge fan base. Trying something completely new, does not mean he's grasping at straws, it means he's bored with making traditional rock music - and there's nothing wrong with that.
    im not against trying something new... i was defending chris earlier in this thread as far as his music goes... just playing devils advocate regarding his character... when you look at everything else the man has done recently beyond his music tho its hard to argue he has the same credibility as an artist... you think if chris wasnt a model for a jeans company there would be such a large backlash about this new album? musicians and public figures in general need to consider how one decision impacts others... like i said, im gonna give this new album the chance it probably deserves... i just hope his private life isnt beginning to hurt his music

• hguz73hguz73 Posts: 245
    Not much can't be heard on that video except that this might be a turn in Cornell's sounds in a near future. It will be fair to listen to a complete track before giving an opinion so i'm gonna keep my comments at the moment.
  • JimNasticsJimNastics Posts: 679
    Cornell can do what the hell he wants, but it doesn't mean we can't get upset at his actions. We're perfectly entitled to be upset that one of our favourite artists will not be producing music for our tastes any more, that's perfectly natural. I'm definitely upset by it, I have no interest in his new direction whatsoever and I'm really disappointed that it's one less album that I can look forward to. I hope he does decide to revist his roots one day, otherwise I'm always going to have a feeling of "what could have been?". I certainly think he's got a great acoustic album in him somewhere.

Just as I don't think people should be bashing Cornell in a personal way, he's got every right to do what ever he likes, I also don't think people should be slated for saying there are angry and upset. They're well within their rights to be... I know I am gutted at what I hear.
    sgossard3 wrote:
    you think if chris wasnt a model for a jeans company there would be such a large backlash about this new album? musicians and public figures in general need to consider how one decision impacts others... like i said, im gonna give this new album the chance it probably deserves... i just hope his private life isnt beginning to hurt his music

I read an interview from back in the mid 90's when he was still in Soundgarden, and the interview took place at some designer's house where he was going through stage outfits before Soundgarden went out on tour. Him modelling designer wear is no big deal to me - what real impact has that had on his music? He plays for nearly three hours every night, constantly mixing up his set lists. He tours places that most other artists don't bother with, like Iceland, South Africa, South America etc. I don't think anyone can really accuse him of not giving a shit about his fans or the music. It just so happens that he is more comfortable with the commercial aspects of his business than a lot of his fans are.

He hasn't 'sold-out' because he has never claimed to be anything, it's just the expectations that people have placed on him. He never said he would continue to be some comfort blanket for miserable rock fans the world over with his music. He creates music that excites him, and if that works for you or me, then great, if it doesn't then you can give it a miss. Don't get me wrong, it took me a while to get my head round this, but ultimately Chris Cornell owes me absolutely nothing, and he is free to do what he likes, just as I am free to not like it or buy it.
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    I have no issues with what type of jeans the man wears, or if he cares about selling records. That "music" was atrocious. It was Nelly Furtado.

So to do something "different", Chris has made music that sounds like every other timbaland top 40 hit out there? Yeah, really different and exciting there. The mom's in minivans are gonna love cranking up this stuff, in between Justin Timberlake and Maroon 5. Honestly, if you think this is "different", it isn't, it sounds like every other crap pop song out there.

Chris Cornell has made some great music in the past. But this is fucking god awful. All I can really do is laugh at what a douchebag he is coming across as.
  • ii44ii44 Posts: 430
    Thank you. I can't believe 20 seconds of music has gotten people so fucking hysterical. People are of course entitled to their opinion, but since when was 20 seconds of music enough for any reasonable judgement? I can't say I'm exactly enamored by that clip, but I have the good sense to reserve judgement before I start throwing out all these ridiculous accusations of selling out, money-grabbing, being desperate to stay relevant etc. It's not like he hasn't explored rock music - the guy has been cranking rock albums out for twenty years, he's earned the right to try something new. Even if it turns out shit, and he falls on his face, so what? The earth won't stop spinning. Having gone through ups and downs in his career, I'm sure he will pick himself up and keep going.

The problem when you've been in the business that long, and have experimented with so many different styles, is that different people expect different things, so you're never going to please everyone. Some people would love to hear him return to the heavy and complex sounds of Soundgarden, whilst others would love him to revisit the bluesy sound of TOTD. Personally, I would love to hear him do an acoustic album in the vein of Springsteen's Nebraska. But alas, we can only second guess what he will come up with next; and given the amazing music has has made in the past, I think he at least deserves a chance to try something different.

Word.

I can't believe people are losing their shit over 10 seconds of (bad) music. At least wait until the album leaks to make a judgment.
  • Strangest TribeStrangest Tribe Posts: 2,502
    Cornell=not cool anymore
    the Minions
  • yeah, he's not trying something new. he's doing the exact opposite.
  • ClaudiaClaudia Posts: 398
    That's... depressing.
  • PJSEMPREPJSEMPRE Posts: 687
    Awful!
    Let's say knowledge is a tree, yeah.
    It's growing up just like me.
  • Vitalogy7Vitalogy7 Posts: 75
    Personally, i love everything Cornell has ever done.
    Yes, including Carry On... never gave a crap that many other people hated it, i just thought it was well done and suited his voice.
    As for this new clip, i honestly don't know what to think. I do hope his album does not completely sound like that.
    But saying Cornell "sold out," "is not cool anymore," etc.. is pointless.
    "Up here so high the sky I scrape,
    I'm so high I hold just one breath here within my chest,
    Just like innocence."