Just heard Cornell/Timbaland

Comments

• 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Dude....when I heard timbaland was working with cornell I assumed that timbaland was going to branch out and try to produce rock music. Not the other way around. I can't believe Chris is on a commercial for verizon and is doing what is basically rap music to me.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    Igottago wrote:
    LOL...hahahaha..I just listened to that ringtone..HAHAHAHAHAHAHA...chris cornell is the new Nelly Furtado...HAHAHHAHAHAAA.
    All I can say is that I sincerely hope that's not true because Furtado completely turned me off with her new schtick. I thought "Folklore" was stunning...absolutely stunning.

Then with that last album she became another pop culture/music fembot.

To the tune of a "successful" album, yes, but not by my ears.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    from what i heard it wasn't all that bad.... it was only a few seconds though. i'd never buy it but i'd entertain the thought of listening to a new CC record, or at least a single or two. now Cornell in a Verizon video, that is a joke.
  • rockpantsrockpants Posts: 838
    If he's going to go down the noveau hip-hop route, I would hope he doesn't stop there. Next up: HYPHY. Awww yeah. Tell me where to go, Chris. Ghostride the Whip!
  • dCowboyPJdCowboyPJ Posts: 479
    Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I feel like crying.
  • restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,951
    Dude....when I heard timbaland was working with cornell I assumed that timbaland was going to branch out and try to produce rock music. Not the other way around. I can't believe Chris is on a commercial for verizon .

NO SHIT! wow
    Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18, Van I+II, Vegas I+II '24
  • This has upset me. So. Much.
  • IgottagoIgottago Posts: 483
    dharma69 wrote:
    Simply not liking is one thing....

Constant whiney comparisons to Temple of the Dog/Audioslave/Soundgarden (aka the past) are living in the past.

No, actually its comparing decent music to absolute shit. I take it you like what you've heard?
  • sourdoughsourdough Posts: 579
    I'm just trying to imagine what his concerts would look look like. I wonder if he can work in a dance routine to Jesus Christ Pose :).

I'm gonna wait to see what it actually looks like before I pass judgement on his future music. I didn't like that clip but who knows if that is what the final product will look like.

I was skeptical when I bought tickets to see cornell's solo show and walked away blown away, so I'm not going to prejudge him this time. That said, I was highly disappointed with Carry On.
    sourdough wrote:
    I'm just trying to imagine what his concerts would look look like. I wonder if he can work in a dance routine to Jesus Christ Pose :).

Probably...with special guest..Justin Timberlake.
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    Bad Bad Bad.

Singing with synths like every other band trying to bring back the 80s does not make 'versatility' in any way shape or form. It just makes a generic Timbaland song using all the fashionable noises.

Timbaland has the skill to turn anything he touches into beige anyway. I don't know why I'm shocked at the badness really.
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • dharma69dharma69 Posts: 1,275
    Igottago wrote:
    No, actually its comparing decent music to absolute shit. I take it you like what you've heard?
    See my initial post in this thread.

My point being that I haven't actually "heard" it.
    "I'm here to see Pearl Jam."- Bono

...signed...the token black Pearl Jam fan.

FaceSpace
  • dharma69 wrote:
    See my initial post in this thread.

My point being that I haven't actually "heard" it.
    We are commenting on what we've heard so far. It doesn't bode well. That is all.
  • DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    that ringtone is really worrying me. oh no
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • halszka123halszka123 Posts: 1,109
    Igottago wrote:
    Probably...with special guest..Justin Timberlake.
    two cookies in one time...mmmm....
    just being ironic;)
    Not 10c member? Have sth to say? write to me - I'll put it on the forum
    halszka123@op.pl
  • muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    He's expanding his horizons!
    He's got a wife and kids now - what do you expect?
    You're just narrow minded!
    Go listen to Soundgarden if you don't like it!
    He's rich enough already, why would he need the extra money?
    Rick Rubin produced hip hop!

[/justifications]

Gotta admit though, this is going to be one of the, er, "controversial" records of the year.
  • :D :eek:

...you can tell he's moved to Europe. Blech... but I love Chris Cornell and always have and whatever he wants to do, I will respect.

...I just won't go out and buy it. :)
  • sachincsachinc Posts: 117
    :D :eek:

...you can tell he's moved to Europe. Blech... but I love Chris Cornell and always have and whatever he wants to do, I will respect.

...I just won't go out and buy it. :)

I'm with you there on all of that even your name, but not europe. We had the who!
  • melodyman22melodyman22 Posts: 326
    Alright some of ya fools listen up. TOTD, Soundgarden, Audioslave fans. Chris has already made that type of music. Go read some of his interviews, he never wants to make the same album twice. What happened to the grunge attitude, of do whatever the fuck ya want. Thats exactly what Chris is doing. So his new cd is produced by Timbaland. I guarantee ya it will be good. Maybe not as good as his past work. But still good. Still the best voice in rock today.
  • sachincsachinc Posts: 117
    Alright some of ya fools listen up. TOTD, Soundgarden, Audioslave fans. Chris has already made that type of music. Go read some of his interviews, he never wants to make the same album twice. What happened to the grunge attitude, of do whatever the fuck ya want. Thats exactly what Chris is doing. So his new cd is produced by Timbaland. I guarantee ya it will be good. Maybe not as good as his past work. But still good. Still the best voice in rock today.

Not sure about the voice but fair enough, and i don't trust timbaland to match cornell with sonmething that compliments his sound

Um, did you even listen to that ringtone clip that was posted? This is pop trash. I understand an artist wanting to do something new, but trying to turn into Justin Timberlake? That's just retarded.
  • Alright some of ya fools listen up. TOTD, Soundgarden, Audioslave fans. Chris has already made that type of music. Go read some of his interviews, he never wants to make the same album twice. What happened to the grunge attitude, of do whatever the fuck ya want. Thats exactly what Chris is doing. So his new cd is produced by Timbaland. I guarantee ya it will be good. Maybe not as good as his past work. But still good. Still the best voice in rock today.

From what we've heard in the ad, this creative choice has made him sound like a generic r'n'b-peddler, rather than what was arguably the greatest rock voice of his generation. There's exploring new ground, and then there's playing to your strengths.

But, like people have said, it's possible this is off the Timbaland record, and not Cornell's new one. Until we find out which, I'm not judging Cornell's record either way, I'm judging this song. And I don't like it.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • circles downcircles down Posts: 182
    Due to the massive amount of outstanding material Chris has provided over the years he has earned my respect and he can go and do whatever he wants. Having said that, I don't like what I've heard, in fact I hate it, and anybody that tells me that makes me narrow minded is a douchebag, not liking something doesn't make me narrow minded, it just means I don't like it. And just because I don't like it doesn't mean he's a sellout. I understand he wants to do different stuff, so I obviously he has earned that right. Washed up athletes have the right to keep playing, but they are more prone to strike out.
  • PJamGrunge10PJamGrunge10 Posts: 596
    Ok, I knew he was working with Timbaland but I wasn't expecting this junk. I can accept him continuing with "Carry On" type stuff, but if you're gonna go with a hip hop influenced sound at least don't make it sound like poppy trash...
    Stone Gossard...riffmeister extraordinaire!

I am a man, I am advanced.....I am the first man to borrow Stone's leather pants!
  • PaukPauk Posts: 1,084
    Saying someone is 'narrow minded' for not liking the new direction is a knee-jerk reaction best avoided.

To me, Cornell is reaching out to a genre he has no experience at, and as a result comes across as a friend's dad trying to be 'cool'. Having synths doesn't make him modern and fresh, it's a bland use that's easily topped by any electro band/DJ around. The sound is basic and infantile, it's pretty much the same old material but shredded through a SNES. 16 bit sound was dead a long time ago. I couldn't care less about Sound Garden or Audioslave, to me an artist is only as good as their last album. I encourage bands to try out new sounds, but it takes more than change of guitar to synths to make a new sound.
    Paul
    '06 - London, Dublin, Reading
    '07 - Katowice, Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    '09 - London, Manchester, London
    '12 - Manchester, Manchester, Berlin, Stockholm, Copenhagen
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    look at where neil young's "lucky thirteen" fell amongst his discography of INCREDIBLE work... even if the entire new CC album sounds like this ringtone im sure its just an experimental phase in the wide scheme of things... nothing could ever tarnish what CC and his music have meant to me over the years... and if other people are so easily swayed then so be it... youre entitled to your opinions

just remember that while chris the person has done a complete 180 from what his fans would like, his music for the most part has made the slow predictable transition expected for someone with such a lengthy career... i cant see this album making that sudden of a jump... and i hope im not proven wrong
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • webberf1webberf1 Posts: 160
    I'll repeat my comment to the vid, it really did sound like ass. Granted, I'm yet to hear the whole thing (and in good quality), but lets face it that sound sucked.

And would people accusing people who hate it of being 'narrow minded' just STFU and GTFO. I dont care what musical genre he decides to partake in, i just care that whatever he does is GOOD and has real musical merit. So far, it appears this DOES NOT have real musical merit because it sounded like shit.
  • sgossard3 wrote:
    look at where neil young's "lucky thirteen" fell amongst his discography of INCREDIBLE work... even if the entire new CC album sounds like this ringtone im sure its just an experimental phase in the wide scheme of things... nothing could ever tarnish what CC and his music have meant to me over the years... and if other people are so easily swayed then so be it... youre entitled to your opinions

just remember that while chris the person has done a complete 180 from what his fans would like, his music for the most part has made the slow predictable transition expected for someone with such a lengthy career... i cant see this album making that sudden of a jump... and i hope im not proven wrong

This is the best post so far. Even if I don't like this album, his previous work is still some of my very favorite music. I like music other than rock. I hope I do like this album, but good or bad, I figure this is an experimental album. I'm thinking it has a good chance to be something great. After all, Cornell is the best rock singer of all time, Timbaland's work has been my favorite of hip/hop recently, and both are really excited about this album.
    bombs, dropping down, please forgive our hometown
  • 12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    Its such a shame. He has such and incredible voice. I consider soundgarden as my 2nd favorite band, and I love audioslave. I even love the videos i have seen of him on tour with his solo band lately....its just such a shame the path he decided to go to. I'll preview the 30 second clips on amazon once his new albums out to see if I'll buy it, but I probably will just download it. His voice is toooooo good for that shit I heard on a fucking Verizon commercial..... and who the fuck uses VCAST anyway?

edit: imagine If eddie did this? I wonder if some of our suck up ass would say its good music. hehe I probably would sadly.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • rychorycho Posts: 1
    I don't understand people, who say, that if somebody doesn't like it, he's just narrow minded. As for me, I am totally for breaking new grounds by rock musicians, and I love when they use a lot of beats/electronics. Like Radiohead in 'Idioteque', or NIN. But this song is just nothing innovate. It sounds exactly like Timbaland's Nelly Furtado/Pyssycat Dolls/Timberlake music, just with Cornell's vocals. You want him to sound like everything else out there? It's almost like being in Nickelback or Bon Jovi, but at least they copy themselves, and not some pop crap.
    "Tutaj naprawde nie jest zle, poczekaj stary choc jeden dzien..." ;)